Are there any mods left?

sp00ge

CAGiversary!
Feedback
149 (100%)
It seems that since Shrike and I quit, moderation has dropped off...

The freebie forum has started to become over run with referral "contests", some of which I have reported numerous times over the past week and not only is nothing being done about it, they seem to be multiplying. With many of them, the OP is hiding their referral link under a short URL, but some are pretty obvious as the OP is bumping them daily.

I'm around, and I take care of all the reported posts I see.  Link me to the referral posts you're talking about.

If I banned anyone who posted something in the wrong section, there wouldn't be many people left. :lol:

That's why the site has fallen into such disrepair. No consequences.
Exactly. It's a fuck ing joke anymore. Newbs bypass the rules, are told to wait or whatever, they ignore that warning and still carry on. And when further reported, the mods give them a free pass and allow it. Other people see this and do it themselves and what we get is forums cluttered with trash. Bullshit behavior spawns bullshit behavior when it's allowed to go unchecked... whatever, I'm done.

It seems that since Shrike and I quit, moderation has dropped off...

The freebie forum has started to become over run with referral "contests", some of which I have reported numerous times over the past week and not only is nothing being done about it, they seem to be multiplying. With many of them, the OP is hiding their referral link under a short URL, but some are pretty obvious as the OP is bumping them daily.

Exactly. It's a fuck ing joke anymore. Newbs bypass the rules, are told to wait or whatever, they ignore that warning and still carry on. And when further reported, the mods give them a free pass and allow it. Other people see this and do it themselves and what we get is forums cluttered with trash. Bullshit behavior spawns bullshit behavior when it's allowed to go unchecked... whatever, I'm done.
weren't you once a mod? if so get your powers back, and mod when you see fit, or whenever you feel like doing the duties of a mod, since it is how it is now anyway.

weren't you once a mod? if so get your powers back, and mod when you see fit, or whenever you feel like doing the duties of a mod, since it is how it is now anyway.
Yeah, had I known it would have gone to hell, I would've stayed on board. What happened to Folodar? I'm pretty sure he was the mini-mod in charge of that forum....

Yea, I'd always contact sp00ge before because I knew he meant business on shit. Was the easiest way to keep the forum clean/get rid of the infestation of pests.

Yeah, had I known it would have gone to hell, I would've stayed on board. What happened to Folodar? I'm pretty sure he was the mini-mod in charge of that forum....
Well just get your mod job back and bring the hammer.

Yea, I'd always contact sp00ge before because I knew he meant business on shit. Was the easiest way to keep the forum clean/get rid of the infestation of pests.
My go to mod was shrike. Took care of shit quickly. Though I think he temp banned me once too. hehehe.

Well just get your mod job back and bring the hammer.

My go to mod was shrike. Took care of shit quickly. Though I think he temp banned me once too. hehehe.
At this point I'd take Shrike's overmoderation than the shitshow this board has devolved into.

It seems like ever since the board "upgrade" this site has went to shit.  I find myself checking it less and less.  Idiots running rampant, horrible thread titles, people bragging about flipping and just the overall sense that Cheapy doesn't care anymore.  Also, I liked reading some of the blogs but since the update I hardly see any blogs worth reading anymore, maybe its because it isn't featured prominently on the main page like it formerly was.  The main page also hasn't been updated in nearly a month.  

It seems like ever since the board "upgrade" this site has went to shit. I find myself checking it less and less. Idiots running rampant, horrible thread titles, people bragging about flipping and just the overall sense that Cheapy doesn't care anymore. Also, I liked reading some of the blogs but since the update I hardly see any blogs worth reading anymore, maybe its because it isn't featured prominently on the main page like it formerly was. The main page also hasn't been updated in nearly a month.
Same here. Between the spamming, fanboy flame war nonsense, personal attacks etc. I bother with CAG less and less and spend more time on GAF. It's overmoderated for my tastes but that's far better than undermoderation.

It does help that CAG is slow as balls sometimes. A lot of times pages just won't load at all and time out, or hang and take 20+ seconds to pop up. And that's on different networks, different devices, different browsers etc., so it's not an issue on my end.

So I reported a posts that suggests someone performs oral sex only using vulgar langauge and nothing has been done. Granted I only flagged it yesterday but still.

Eh, I reported a post in the Deals forum as dead and it seemed like it was moved to the Graveyard in just a few minutes.

I don't really go in many of the other threads though so I can't speak for the condition of those.  The main deals thread still seems to flow fairly smoothly, and when I report a repeat or dead deal it's usually handled fairly quickly.

Yet it says on the pagetheres still standards. I sorry but when a post is about how someone sucks c*ck I think it should be moderated no matter which forum its on

Yet it says on the pagetheres still standards. I sorry but when a post is about how someone sucks c*ck I think it should be moderated no matter which forum its on
It's a matter of opinion. I talk like that on a daily basis. I'd probably remove it if one user said it to another.

Truth be told, I can't remember the last time someone told someone else that they "suck cock" in Vs. "Eat a bag of dicks" is another story though. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Trakan the last/only mod then?
I can think of at least 4 total (if you include Cheapy) there's probably more than that but you only have to take a quick look at the state of the forums to see it is an inadequate number however many there are.

I can think of at least 4 total (if you include Cheapy) there's probably more than that but you only have to take a quick look at the state of the forums to see it is an inadequate number however many there are.
it is more than just the inadequate numbers of mods that are left, but also the fact they are tired of dealing with the non-senses. we need new mods period.

it is more than just the inadequate numbers of mods that are left, but also the fact they are tired of dealing with the non-senses. we need new mods period.
Easier said than done. Unless you plan on doing a mass purge of the user base, there is still going to be a massive imbalance of nonsense versus the number of mods.

It's a thankless job, so don't expect people would be jumping up at the chance to be one, either.

Easier said than done. Unless you plan on doing a mass purge of the user base, there is still going to be a massive imbalance of nonsense versus the number of mods.

It's a thankless job, so don't expect people would be jumping up at the chance to be one, either.
i would do it, since the mods right now are basically doing what they feel like in terms of how they deal with the nonsenses on the forum. i would also implement the 3 strike rule. 1st strike would be a warning of pm, and announcement at the thread the incident occur. 2nd strike would warrant a silence mode of no being able to post for a week. 3rd strike perm ban.

^^^ x1,000,000

The dick-swinging loses it's appeal once you realize that you've wasted a good chunk of your free-time for little to no compensation.
but aren't most of you previous/ current mods friends, or have connections with cheapy d or something? i don't think just anybody can become a mod that easily.

i would do it, since the mods right now are basically doing what they feel like in terms of how they deal with the nonsenses on the forum. i would also implement the 3 strike rule. 1st strike would be a warning of pm, and announcement at the thread the incident occur. 2nd strike would warrant a silence mode of no being able to post for a week. 3rd strike perm ban.
That idea had been floated many times and every time it fell apart because nobody was ever on the same page. Some mods were buddy-buddy with problem users, resulting in unbalanced treatment which then resulted complaining to the man in charge. It was (and still is?) a fuck ed state of affairs.

but aren't most of you previous/ current mods friends, or have connections with cheapy d or something? i don't think just anybody can become a mod that easily.
Nope. I got referred to the job by Gwen, who I was just talked to on here (and maybe a few times off-CAG). I don't know Cheapy or anyone personally, never met any of them in-person either.

That's such a great idea in theory and that's also been something done in the past, so don't assume it'll work out. Theory and practice, two different things, especially when moderating a forum. Plus, expect bitching and complaining on either side, so it's no so cut and dry either.

^^^ x1,000,000

The dick-swinging loses it's appeal once you realize that you've wasted a good chunk of your free-time for little to no compensation.
Oh, there was dick-swinging? News to me.

That system was terrible. Be glad you weren't around when we had it.

I'd personally like the site to be more like gaf where we don't take any shit and ban all the retards, but it's not up to me. People also have vastly different views of how the site should be ran. IMO, it's not our job to deal with any loopholes people take advantage of. There's threads on every other deal site out there about it so why should CAG be any different? A lot of people hate flipping discussion when there's really nothing wrong with it.

You can't please everyone.

I'd personally like the site to be more like gaf where we don't take any shit and ban all the retards, but it's not up to me. People also have vastly different views of how the site should be ran. IMO, it's not our job to deal with any loopholes people take advantage of. There's threads on every other deal site out there about it so why should CAG be any different? A lot of people hate flipping discussion when there's really nothing wrong with it.

i have no problem with flipping thread, but people were making those threads in the main deals forum section. where it did not belong. they should just allocate a flipping thread outside the main deals forum section.

So basically what you're saying is that the way the site currently is, full on slick deals mentality, is the way the powers that be want it?

Good to know.

So basically what you're saying is that the way the site currently is, full on slick deals mentality, is the way the powers that be want it?

Good to know.
If there's a loophole on bestbuy.com, why is it CAG's problem? Let them fix it themselves. Also, like I said before, people can hate on flipping, but there isn't anything inherently wrong with it. It's not illegal. Just because you dislike it doesn't mean other people do.

If there's a loophole on bestbuy.com, why is it CAG's problem? Let them fix it themselves. Also, like I said before, people can hate on flipping, but there isn't anything inherently wrong with it. It's not illegal. Just because you dislike it doesn't mean other people do.
Like I said, good to know.

So what you are saying is, as long as we click on the affiliate links then it doesn't matter how shady the activity is?

The argument I've raised to people many times is what in the hell do they think the real estate market and Wall Street are? It's essentially "big boy flipping". Buy low. Sell high. That's the basis of our entire economy. Sure, maybe there's something noble about "leave some for someone else". But expecting things to function that way is a little idealistic. You win some. You lose some.

Everybody gets their turn at a great deal, and I don't hold a grudge against anybody when my timing is just off. I use flipping sometimes to pay for my gaming habit so that it doesn't take away "real money" from my wife and daughter. If people want to think less of me for that, whatever.

Also, in the "where are the mods?" discussion, you guys are forgetting CaseyRyback. He's still active too.

The argument I've raised to people many times is what in the hell do they think the real estate market and Wall Street are? It's essentially "big boy flipping". Buy low. Sell high. That's the basis of our entire economy. Sure, maybe there's something noble about "leave some for someone else". But expecting things to function that way is a little idealistic. You win some. You lose some.
And I always say this is a completely simplistic view of what the big boys do. How many flipping cags pay taxes? Do you take risks? When 20 copies of pokemon x don't sell, do you eat the loss or do you return it to best buy?

Please. Until you (in the general sense) take risks or you pay taxes or you employ people, don't ever compare yourself to big capitalism. You aren't doing the the same thing as gamestop does. You're not even close.

Of course, now, here's your cue to start talking about wall street bailouts and the like.

Trakan - I actually fully support free enterprise (I've been accused of being a corporate shill many a time) but what I object to are the idiots who jump into a thread where stock is gone and talk about how they got 10 copies of something to rile everyone else up. If that's not trolling, what is?

Also, loopholes are one thing. CAG has gotten more of the Slickdeals stench lately where people openly talk about how to best rip off a retailer or returning stuff to walmart without a receipt. Maybe it's just me but I don't think I'm the only one who has noticed this.

Outside of that, everything just seems ... I don't know.. grubbier? slimier? Is that the word? Look at any thread on the deals forum and chances are you'll find someone asking "where can i flip this to?" "How can i trick the csr into..." Hey, so this is the new cag and i'm just the old dude at the club. That's cool. That's why I said it's good to know this is the way the powers that be want to run the new cag.

And I always say this is a completely simplistic view of what the big boys do. How many flipping cags pay taxes? Do you take risks? When 20 copies of pokemon x don't sell, do you eat the loss or do you return it to best buy?

Please. Until you (in the general sense) take risks or you pay taxes or you employ people, don't ever compare yourself to big capitalism. You aren't doing the the same thing as gamestop does. You're not even close.

Of course, now, here's your cue to start talking about wall street bailouts and the like.
LMAO...dude, get out of here with that belligerent nonsense. I don't run a business. It's a hobby like anything else. Half the stuff you're bitching about isn't even applicable. I said I'll flip sometimes to pay for other games. I don't do it to pay my bills or waste hours driving from store to store to make a $4 profit.

Everybody takes risks. Things are just on a different scale. The mentality is still the same. Risks are calculated. The reason flipping even exists is because people who frequent this website are generally better informed than Sally Soccer Mom who didn't know a game just had a flash sale the day before. Or people who frequent this website have an awareness of a trade in value that is currently high. I'm not going to beat my chest about what "work" it is to keep up with this info...but because of the hobby we all share, we're often knowledgable of these things.

As for putting myself on the level of "big capitalism" or Gamestop, where did I say anything remotely close to that??? That's a ridiculous statement and really highlights some preconceived feelings that you have. All I said was that the premise is the same. I have no interest in "making G's" by selling video games. But If I can reduce or eliminate the cost of my next "must have" game, with minimal effort on my part (and there are certainly people who flip who apparently don't value their time as evidenced by the effort they put into things), then of course I'm going to do it.

Cool. Nothing wrong with getting games cheaper. But your argument that YOU brought up about how real estate and Wall Street is the same thing as flipping video games and the basis of our economy is still extremely silly. The point is that it's not the same. But I'm uninterested in further debating the point. You can go ahead and believe as you like. As an argument that you've "raised to people many times", you obviously believe it to be true.

CAG has gotten more of the Slickdeals stench lately where people openly talk about how to best rip off a retailer or returning stuff to walmart without a receipt.   Maybe it's just me but I don't think I'm the only one who has noticed this. 
That's completely different.  Return fraud has never been allowed and I've always deleted it.

bread's done
Back