captain america: the winter soldier 3d blu ray combo pack 24.99$ @target

Same thing happened with The LEGO Movie. Amazon refused to have it available until weeks after the release date.
Um...I got The LEGO Movie on release date from Amazon.

-----

Great price...hope Best Buy matches, specifically the Steelbook.

Last edited by a moderator:
what could the dispute possibly be about ?
In short, Amazon doesn't like a certain book publisher for pricing eBook releases at crazy high prices compared to other eBook releases; Amazon wants to preserve the integrity of how cheap eBooks are normally sold at compared to pricing the books much higher. There's sides in this with their own reasons, but since the dispute's gotten steam in the media world...with Disney, they are just another company who are butting heads because of some disagreement. But you have to realize...this is Disney. They are renowned for overpricing their releases in most cases (especially now that they have Marvel to profit from)...

To be honest, the Amazon/Hatchette (book pub) dispute is ridiculous. On the one hand, you have Amazon working to be fair to their customers by setting the prices reasonably (no more than $10 for an eBook) because there are far, far fewer processes involved with the eBook's production vs a regular book's production. Hatchette, on the other, wants to set prices on their eBooks higher than other companies. To counter this, Amazon shafted the physical book distribution from Hatchette by weeks, not days...and ever since then, it's gotten bad.

So it comes down to a single question: How much would you pay for an eBook at release that wouldn't be considered too pricey?

In short, Amazon doesn't like a certain book publisher for pricing eBook releases at crazy high prices compared to other eBook releases; Amazon wants to preserve the integrity of how cheap eBooks are normally sold at compared to pricing the books much higher. There's sides in this with their own reasons, but since the dispute's gotten steam in the media world...with Disney, they are just another company who are butting heads because of some disagreement. But you have to realize...this is Disney. They are renowned for overpricing their releases in most cases (especially now that they have Marvel to profit from)...

To be honest, the Amazon/Hatchette (book pub) dispute is ridiculous. On the one hand, you have Amazon working to be fair to their customers by setting the prices reasonably (no more than $10 for an eBook) because there are far, far fewer processes involved with the eBook's production vs a regular book's production. Hatchette, on the other, wants to set prices on their eBooks higher than other companies. To counter this, Amazon shafted the physical book distribution from Hatchette by weeks, not days...and ever since then, it's gotten bad.

So it comes down to a single question: How much would you pay for an eBook at release that wouldn't be considered too pricey?
Amazon refusing to ship books immediately was a..... controversial move, but otherwise I am with them 100%.... especially when Marvel/Hatchett won't to bitch that Amazon isn't discounting the books themselves, as if they are owed special treatment. Still, I'd feel better towards Amazon if they still weren't advertising Winter Soldier via Amazon video....... It's great to see somebody finally stick it to Disney on this bullshit, and Amazon has the clout to probably win. Even if this isn't about us as consumers it's still great to see.

All that said what was the dispute with Warner about? Same thing? I've never had the issues with WB's pricing the way I've had with Disney, I know that doesn't mean anything with Amazon's discounts but I'd be very curious to see what it's about either way.

Your link is showing $33 as the sale price, $40 for the MSRP. Where is the $25 at? Or has this died already?

And what are the odds of a Marvel "sale"? I know they had one when Iron Man 3 hit last year. I never did bother to pick up any of the phase II movies, and they seem to quickly be approaching the same asinine pricing as the Phase I 3D movies are. I'd still like to pick up Iron Man 3 3D but fuck if I'm gonna pay the $40 it'll cost me to get it now.

Last edited:
Amazon refusing to ship books immediately was a..... controversial move, but otherwise I am with them 100%.... especially when Marvel/Hatchett won't to bitch that Amazon isn't discounting the books themselves, as if they are owed special treatment. Still, I'd feel better towards Amazon if they still weren't advertising Winter Soldier via Amazon video....... It's great to see somebody finally stick it to Disney on this bullshit, and Amazon has the clout to probably win. Even if this isn't about us as consumers it's still great to see.

All that said what was the dispute with Warner about? Same thing? I've never had the issues with WB's pricing the way I've had with Disney, I know that doesn't mean anything with Amazon's discounts but I'd be very curious to see what it's about either way.

Your link is showing $33 as the sale price, $40 for the MSRP. Where is the $25 at? Or has this died already?

And what are the odds of a Marvel "sale"? I know they had one when Iron Man 3 hit last year. I never did bother to pick up any of the phase II movies, and they seem to quickly be approaching the same asinine pricing as the Phase I 3D movies are. I'd still like to pick up Iron Man 3 3D but fuck if I'm gonna pay the $40 it'll cost me to get it now.
Net says it's also pricing disputes. Overall, it stresses the fact that Amazon battles B&M retailers during release week to offer titles as low a price as possible, with the risk they knowingly take of having little to no profit margin. It's also similar to what we talked about with the eBay and Buy It Now prices that those resellers were setting that put the prices on DVD releases lower than other online and B&M mediums had currently. And it can be explained in a simple fact:

Let us say that we begin with a title that is $30 MSRP. During one week that it is priced at $30, they move 100,000 units. During another week, the title gets discounted by $5 and moves maybe 150K units. Week one, you make total sales (not profits) of $3M. During week two, you make $3.75M. While the profit margin drops in order to get that sale, the number of units and sale dollars increases, which means the ones who get royalties from the sales of said products get more money out of it. Even if the margin is little to none, selling more units for a lower price vs selling less units for a higher price can be profitable.

Amazon knows this and is fighting to keep that mentality to stay competitive. Otherwise, if they are forced to price their products too high cause the companies who own said products tell them to, then they do not move as many units; those who are out there to get a great deal are going to go elsewhere to save money.

As for the link...what was he referring to? Cause if it's the 3D cut of Winter Soldier...it's showing as $23; but the regular Blu is price for half a buck cheaper...there's a second listing for TWS which looks identical but is priced at $33...so it's confusing.

Net says it's also pricing disputes. Overall, it stresses the fact that Amazon battles B&M retailers during release week to offer titles as low a price as possible, with the risk they knowingly take of having little to no profit margin. It's also similar to what we talked about with the eBay and Buy It Now prices that those resellers were setting that put the prices on DVD releases lower than other online and B&M mediums had currently. And it can be explained in a simple fact:

Let us say that we begin with a title that is $30 MSRP. During one week that it is priced at $30, they move 100,000 units. During another week, the title gets discounted by $5 and moves maybe 150K units. Week one, you make total sales (not profits) of $3M. During week two, you make $3.75M. While the profit margin drops in order to get that sale, the number of units and sale dollars increases, which means the ones who get royalties from the sales of said products get more money out of it. Even if the margin is little to none, selling more units for a lower price vs selling less units for a higher price can be profitable.

Amazon knows this and is fighting to keep that mentality to stay competitive. Otherwise, if they are forced to price their products too high cause the companies who own said products tell them to, then they do not move as many units; those who are out there to get a great deal are going to go elsewhere to save money.

As for the link...what was he referring to? Cause if it's the 3D cut of Winter Soldier...it's showing as $23; but the regular Blu is priced higher...in that regard, I'd buy the 3D version.
Thanks for sharing. I had thought WB was pretty flexible in their pricing with retailers but I never really handled any of their marketing/accounting so I don't know lol.

I can't get the OP's link to work now (phone issues I guess) but when I searched for the 3D bluray I got this:

http://www.target.com/p/captain-america-the-winter-soldier-includes-digital-copy-2d-3d-blu-ray/-/A-15557659#prodSlot=medium_1_2&term=winter+soldier+3D

Which says it's $33 on sale. The standard blu ray is coming up at $22.50 on sale.

Thanks for sharing. I had thought WB was pretty flexible in their pricing with retailers but I never really handled any of their marketing/accounting so I don't know lol.

I can't get the OP's link to work now (phone issues I guess) but when I searched for the 3D bluray I got this:

http://www.target.com/p/captain-america-the-winter-soldier-includes-digital-copy-2d-3d-blu-ray/-/A-15557659#prodSlot=medium_1_2&term=winter+soldier+3D

Which says it's $33 on sale. The standard blu ray is coming up at $22.50 on sale.
Worked in Google Chrome on regular Windows 7. It shows three entries. One shows the 3D + Blu + Digital for $23...another shows regular Blu for $22.50...and the third is the same as the first listing for $33.

whats funny is that thor dark world 3d combo pack is also 30$ or so but people still act like they are overpriced lol
No, it's MSRP is $40, same as the new Captain America movie. Better than $50 I suppose, but not by much, it's still outrageous. Any physical store I go to has it sitting at $40. It does seem to be "on sale" everywhere online, I figured that's because it was a bad movie and/or because it's still a (relatively) new release? I suppose it could be the absence of the DVD's like you mentioned?

I am struggling to understand why these new ones are priced at $40 and the Phase 1's are priced at $50 though. I can't figure it out for the life of me.

Last edited:
No, it's MSRP is $40, same as the new Captain America movie. Better than $50 I suppose, but not by much, it's still outrageous. Any physical store I go to has it sitting at $40. It does seem to be "on sale" everywhere online, I figured that's because it was a bad movie and/or because it's still a (relatively) new release? I suppose it could be the absence of the DVD's like you mentioned?

I am struggling to understand why these new ones are priced at $40 and the Phase 1's are priced at $50 though. I can't figure it out for the life of me.
Phase 1 movies came with DVD versions. These ones don't.

the phase one 3d versions are probibly out of print which would drive up its value. btw thor 2 3d did have a launch week sale of 27.99$ which i ment to put in the post you quoted. amd i do believe the phase ones had all 3 versions in them which would also explain the price bump

Phase 1 movies came with DVD versions. These ones don't.
That's the best answer I can come up with. But then why not yank the DVD's out of any future prints of the Phase 1 movies and sell them for $40 (or even $30)? If I were a new buyer, somebody who didn't know about sites like this and wasn't aware of how much cheaper these movies can go for on ebay, I MIGHT be willing to jump on the 3D versions at $30 apiece.

Last edited:
That's the best answer I can come up with. But then why not yank the DVD's out of any future prints of the Phase 1 movies and sell them for $40 (or even $30)? If I were a new buyer, somebody who didn't know about sites like this and wasn't aware of how much cheaper these movies can go for on ebay, I MIGHT be willing to jump on the 3D versions at $30 apiece.
since they have obviously abandoned bundling dvd's in their blu rays (to drive up dvd sales) they should indeed re release them without the dvd versions in them. 29.99$-34.99$ would prob be their price if disney did that

the phase one 3d versions are probibly out of print which would drive up its value. btw thor 2 3d did have a launch week sale of 27.99$ which i ment to put in the post you quoted. amd i do believe the phase ones had all 3 versions in them which would also explain the price bump

since they have obviously abandoned bundling dvd's in their blu rays (to drive up dvd sales) they should indeed re release them without the dvd versions in them. 29.99$-34.99$ would prob be their price if disney did that
I'd say the idea of movies this popular going out of print is insane if this were anyone but Disney, but I wouldn't put it past them to "vault" these movies to artificially inflate the demand. I do know they are still in stock everywhere I look, but I can't imagine anybody paying $50 for a movie anyways so I don't know... I didn't know about the Thor 2 sale either. I know I've seen it on ebay for pretty cheap, I bought a new copy of the 3D version week or two ago for right at $20, and another auction I was watching ends in an hour and is still sitting at $11 (+ $3 shipping). So, if nothing else, it's obvious many people aren't valuing these movies the way Disney is.
And I agree. DVD's are still nice for watching on my laptop or a hotel or something, but at this point I've been relying more and more on UV or Netflix to watch movies when I'm out. DVD's really do seem unnecessary at this point.

You're still an idiot. MSRP dont mean squat.

http://www.amazon.com/Thor-World-2-Disc-Blu-ray-Digital/dp/B00HERGM86/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1407969836&sr=8-2&keywords=thor+dark+world

27 bucks from amazon.

I really think you are mentally handicapped. No one is this dumb.

Thor 2 3D at Best Buy was $23 for the Steelbook version. And boy, was it a pain in the ass to get ahold of.

How are you not banned yet?
I think there is something getting lost in translation with kilik. He argued this same stuff in another 3D thread a couple of months ago. But to me, I see the following: The title's selling at $26.96, with a $13.03 discount (implying the MSRP (which is normally what the manufacturer sets the standard retail price for and gives the seller some wiggle room on) is $39.99). Ergo, the guy he was contradicting is right. Amazon has visual evidence there. Now, if we wanted to cut out MSRP and use "manufacturer's price", maybe it translates better. In that case $39.99 is the manufacturer's price, and $26.96 is the seller's price. The lowest I've ever seen it is around the $23 mark (Blu-Ray.com may have even a record of that price).

Between the both of them, I gave it to the other guy.

Thor 2 3D at Best Buy was $23 for the Steelbook version. And boy, was it a pain in the ass to get ahold of.
Cap 2 has a Steelbook version at Best Buy this time around too. It is currently priced at $29.99, no idea if it'll actually wind up cheaper week of release. It is the 3D/Blu Ray/Digital version.

watch this film have a opening week sale and then not go on sale again afterward like thor the dark world lol. i jumped on price matching amazons 18.99$ opening week price for thor as i knew it would happen. you guys better do the same imo

watch this film have a opening week sale and then not go on sale again afterward like thor the dark world lol. i jumped on price matching amazons 18.99$ opening week price for thor as i knew it would happen. you guys better do the same imo
That's how the Avengers was. That's how Iron Man 3 was. That's how Thor 2 was.

If you want to get Cap 2 (and any future Marvel movie for that matter), get it opening week. It will not be cheaper until Black Friday, and even then it may not be a steep discount.

Yeah, opening week really is the best time to get one of these films. I mean, who else remembers the $15 3D avengers release price?
Yup, was there along with 5 other people in line at Target. The electronics guy there was like "Wow, I didnt know this many people owned 3D Tvs."

I thought the first Captain America was one of the best so this is better?
It is much better. It not only fleshes out the storyline of what happened in the original movie regarding certain...parts, but the action in it is much more streamlined. Even Agents of SHIELD tied into the movie's release and plot with an episode perfectly timed to air the week after the movie did...

It is much better. It not only fleshes out the storyline of what happened in the original movie regarding certain...parts, but the action in it is much more streamlined. Even Agents of SHIELD tied into the movie's release and plot with an episode perfectly timed to air the week after the movie did...
1 was great but two was spectacular !!!!!!!!!!!! the return of one particular character in the film and one during the after credits scene along with the return of an item that just cant go away left me shocked ! (no spoilers lol)

my ranking of mcu from most favored to least

1. avengers/gotg (tied lol)
2. winter soldier
3. thor dark world
4. iron man
5. captain america first avenger
6. iron man 3
7. thor
8. incredible hulk
9. iron man 2

best part is i enjoy watching all of them so i win either way , cant freaking wait for the comic con avengers 2 trailor to be released already !!!!

my ranking of mcu from most favored to least

1. avengers/gotg (tied lol)
2. winter soldier
3. thor dark world
4. iron man
5. captain america first avenger
6. iron man 3
7. thor
8. incredible hulk
9. iron man 2

best part is i enjoy watching all of them so i win either way , cant freaking wait for the comic con avengers 2 trailor to be released already !!!!
Nice ranking. That's just about where I would put my list at. Except I'm a sucker for the Thor movies so Thor would sit at 5 and Cap America and Iron Man 3 would drop one more each.

As in enjoy the Marvel films/seen most or all of them up to that point. I mean even if not initially excited to go out and see it when it first came out the reviews and word of mouth spread very quickly about how it was one of the best Marvel films to date. I'm sure many didn't go to see it, more hyperbole than anything else, but still surprised someone who would have an interest never went.

bread's done
Back