CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odUjMhc6YgU

NINTENDO OFFICIAL SITE

BEST BUY QUALIFIES GCU

Amazon

Gamestop

I guess it's not bad with GCU.  Nintendo toys/figures are usually around this price point anyway.

Amiibo_Group.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
These sound pretty disappointing so far. The only game they've shown details on that uses them is Smash Bros and the actual use for them (AI Team mates during fights) is underwhelming. I feel like they need to show more details and supported games before these come out.

Agreed.  They said:

A range of compatible games
In addition to Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, a variety of other games will offer amiibo compatibility. How they interact will vary from game to game.

Wii U games with planned amiibo functionality include:
  • Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
  • Mario Kart™ 8
  • Captain Toad™: Treasure Tracker
  • Mario Party™ 10
  • Yoshi's Woolly World™
  • and more

I'm hoping hyrule warriors gets amiibo support through an update. Think I'll wait these out and see where they take them exactly and how necessary they are for particular games.

Some of these already sold out on Amazon. I put an order in for 6 of the set at Best Buy because of the GCU, not sure if GCU will continued to be offered on the figures.

Some of these already sold out on Amazon. I put an order in for 6 of the set at Best Buy because of the GCU, not sure if GCU will continued to be offered on the figures.
It works on Infinity and Skylanders. Should work on Amiibo.

Also Nintendo can't name products very well. Wii U NEW 3DS AMIIBO. Gawd.

No sign of Zelda or Pit. Odd. Guess they won't be part of series one?

I went ahead and preordered a complete set from Best Buy since GCU is applying. 20% off is great considering I have no idea if these will ever become cheap or go up in value. If it looks like stock will be plentiful after release I'll probably just cancel a few. For actual game usage I'm really only interested in probably Link, Marth, and Samus but the collector in me has gotta catch 'em all.

Bleh. I love collecting figures and stuff of that nature, but I still just can't wrap my head around that price for each one...(Even with GCU).

Might wait till closer to launch and see if they do some sort of sale at any retailer. Other than that, I'll just buy the few characters I really like (Link, Zelda, Marth, and Pitt)

Bleh. I love collecting figures and stuff of that nature, but I still just can't wrap my head around that price for each one...(Even with GCU).

Might wait till closer to launch and see if they do some sort of sale at any retailer. Other than that, I'll just buy the few characters I really like (Link, Zelda, Marth, and Pitt)
Same for me, and I would be the guy who wants to collect them all. For all 14 it's $145.46 and that's WITH GCU.That's a little too steep for me.

Thanks for the post. Does anyone know if the Wii U Amiibo on Amazon currently will work for the 3DS Smash? I'm very interested in purchasing one of these.

Also, no Jigglypuff :(

These look interesting.  Never collected the Skylanders or the Disney Infinity toys.   I might get a few when they become compatible to the 3DS.  I wonder how they will work with the current/old models of 3DS?

So does the 3 per year GCU limit apply to figure purchases too?  I seem to remember that Skylanders would work but you were risking a ban by going over 3.  Keeping my Amazon preorder till I find this out.

So does the 3 per year GCU limit apply to figure purchases too? I seem to remember that Skylanders would work but you were risking a ban by going over 3. Keeping my Amazon preorder till I find this out.
Since it gets the GCU discount im guessing their systems consider it a game, but I think it'd consider each figure to be its own "game" so if the limit was actually enforced, you could buy 3 of each figure.

Since it gets the GCU discount im guessing their systems consider it a game, but I think it'd consider each figure to be its own "game" so if the limit was actually enforced, you could buy 3 of each figure.
That's how I'd like to interpret it, but I made a thread on Unboxed just to make sure. Again, IIRC the limit was enforced on Skylanders figures last year and it was three total, including different characters.

I've bought several skylanders year using GCU. I've read on unboxed somewhere, its tied to the SKU, which alot of them share, but "Mike" was confident that it wouldn't affect anything since they're listed as different items sharing the same SKU. 

And Brian made a post on 8/7, clarifying the rules of GCU. 

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/My-Best-Buy-Gamers-Club/Skylanders-Purchase-Limit/td-p/778735

I'm still waiting on more info before I dive into them, My son is already playing skylanders, not sure I can afford another set of figures, or have the space for them.

I guess Im confused, where is the deal? Or is anything that bestbuy now sells that you can use gcu on a deal now? Because those are all just MSRP.

This is just really Nintendo thread announcement material.

These store data as well as transmit. It's kinda expected that they'd be more expensive.
A fair amount of Skylanders are priced the same price/higher than these amiibos on places like GameStop/Amazon/Best Buy, so they're really like the same cost as Skylanders/Disney Infinity. Not sure why he said $8 since they aren't all that price and that's only certain ones with GCU or on Amazon from what I saw.

Grabbed Mario, Kirby and Yoshi. Had Link in the cart, going thru selecting the store pickup for every one and somehow it said Link wasn't available anymore. Then wouldn't let me delete it from the cart. If this happens, you have to log out of BB. Add it to the cart w/o being logged in, go to checkout, then log in, then remove it..

May grab a few more. The hard part is going to be opening this as I would definitely want to collect them. Oh well, maybe after 3 mos. all the B&M stores will run B1G1 1/2 off like they do every other week with Skylanders / Infinity..

Finally i know what that symbol on the gamepad is! Preordered a Link figure since ill use him the most and buy all of the Zelda games. Interesting to think they are implementing these to lots of games. May pick up Samus and a few others in the future.

Rip off, Skylanders is $8 a piece. Damn $5 Nintendo tax.
I don't know where you live but skylanders are 9.99 each here for the basic figures, and that is if you are going to a store that is not ripping you off because both Gamestop and TRU rip you off for skylanders. Gamestop charges an extra dollar per figure and TRU charges 1-3 dollars extra per figure. Its ridiculous. So yeah, these are cheaper, since the skylanders you probably want, and need to unlock the full game are 14.99-17.99 each depending on where you shop. Oh if you shop at Sam's club skylanders are $1 cheaper than MSRP, so 13.98 and 8.98.

Hopefully stores other than Walmart and Target will keep MSRP for these figures.

I am also guessing there will be plenty of sales for 9.99 on these figures but as far as I can see as of this moment they are useless right now since no games support them, and only certain games will support them.

Hmmm. looking more into it I feel safe ordering them with GCU since they each have a different SKU but I'm still paranoid enough to wait for someone from Best Buy to clarify.

MetalSlugger, you beat me to making the thread on their forums by a day so I replied to yours to give it some visibility.  I'm tempted to post again with the mention of them all being different SKUs but I don't know how they react to stuff like that on their forum (don't want it to seem like I'm bumping it constantly).

Skylanders are already a ripoff but at least they're part of a game. These are nick nacks that are not a part of a game. Oh, they communicate data? Sure, Nintendo showed some pretty useless reasons to buy these. Hey, why buy smash for $60 and manually select characters when you can spend $200 for smash and a bunch of useless figures so you can select characters by placing a piece of plastic on the gamepad? This is dumber than Kinect voice selection of things.

I guess Im confused, where is the deal? Or is anything that bestbuy now sells that you can use gcu on a deal now? Because those are all just MSRP.

in every thread crying about things not being deals, yet never posts deals himself. gotta love the logic

Skylanders are already a ripoff but at least they're part of a game. These are nick nacks that are not a part of a game. Oh, they communicate data? Sure, Nintendo showed some pretty useless reasons to buy these. Hey, why buy smash for $60 and manually select characters when you can spend $200 for smash and a bunch of useless figures so you can select characters by placing a piece of plastic on the gamepad? This is dumber than Kinect voice selection of things.
Yeah, I concur that in order to get the full experience from a game, it may cost a ton of money relative to before, especially with the cost of each figure.

That's how I'd like to interpret it, but I made a thread on Unboxed just to make sure. Again, IIRC the limit was enforced on Skylanders figures last year and it was three total, including different characters.
Huh? I bought more than 15 sky lander figures last year and got gcu discount on all of them(save for the freebies in bogo deals of course). No limit as far a I know but I did not buy multiples of the same figure, either. No ban. Maybe if you buy more than three of the same character...

Against my better judgement I ordered Link and Samus. Probably won't buy anymore until Nintendo can prove to me their usefulness.

1. It wasn't a sure thing that GCU would work on amiibo.

2. These are going out of stock on some sites.

3. Pre-order threads go up all the time.

While you have a valid point, I think it is at least somewhat worthy of a thread.

For me, I don't necesarily mind the price IF Nintendo gives them as awesome of functionality as they think they are giving them. I'm not the kind of guy that will have to collect them all and will be content with 1~3, so paying a little more but having them work across multiple games is fine with me. What I am upset about is no Pit yet as he's my favorite. Now between star fox, link, and yoshi. I do think the starting lineup is pretty great, minus wii fit trainer. Can't see that being a popular buy at all.

Yeah, I concur that in order to get the full experience from a game, it may cost a ton of money relative to before, especially with the cost of each figure.
It costs a lot more when you add in the figures but more importantly I'm pointing out is that the "features" they've showed of these figures are not good. The title of this thread implies it's like skylanders or infinity but these figures are nothing like those games because these plastic figures don't have a dedicated game. People that buy these are going to quickly realize that they wasted their money...

Please, tell me what makes these good? What critical functionality or gameplay do these figures unlock? I preordered 16 Mario Kart 8 tracks for $12 - that's a hell of a deal. How much "game" do I get for each of these $12 figures? These are a waste of money and NOTHING like Infinity or Skylanders.

I'm buying them because they look really nice. The stuff they do is s bonus for me
That's fine and for collectors they're great. I'm trying to point out that people should keep the hype under control because Nintendo hasn't shown many reasons to own these for the non-collector.

It costs a lot more when you add in the figures but more importantly I'm pointing out is that the "features" they've showed of these figures are not good. The title of this thread implies it's like skylanders or infinity but these figures are nothing like those games because these plastic figures don't have a dedicated game. People that buy these are going to quickly realize that they wasted their money...

Please, tell me what makes these good? What critical functionality or gameplay do these figures unlock? I preordered 16 Mario Kart 8 tracks for $12 - that's a hell of a deal. How much "game" do I get for each of these $12 figures? These are a waste of money and NOTHING like Infinity or Skylanders.
Really though, Disney Infinity characters barely do anything as well. Most of them don't even have a playset and are useable only in the (terrible) toy box mode. Most are for show.

People are buying these because they want Nintendo figures, simple as that. My only criticism of skylanders is the retail mark up. You don't need the most rare or valuable figures to open up everything in the game.

Shocking amount of ignorance in this thread:

1) Skylanders store data, just like Amiibo.  Neither "transmit" anything.  It's the portals or NFC readers that scan the data on them and then update it.

2) They won't be used to "select" your character in Smash Bros.  They are actually AI companions and will play and level up independently of your actions.  You can even pit them against each other while you just watch, or pit one against a human friend, etc.

2) They won't be used to "select" your character in Smash Bros. They are actually AI companions and will play and level up independently of your actions. You can even pit them against each other while you just watch, or pit one against a human friend, etc.
Why would one want to do that though?

Why would one want to do that though?
If one doesn't, one need not purchase. It's that simple. These are OPTIONAL! They will be used in other games as well as smash so like skylanders and infinity they will be used in future games, but unlike them, they are not required to enjoy the base game. The price is not bad either, considering the price of the competition has different tiers. Also like Deader mentioned, these actually look like things I would display in my shelves or my desk as they look to be high quality for the price.

If one doesn't, one need not purchase. It's that simple. These are OPTIONAL! They will be used in other games as well as smash so like skylanders and infinity they will be used in future games, but unlike them, they are not required to enjoy the base game. The price is not bad either, considering the price of the competition has different tiers. Also like Deader mentioned, these actually look like things I would display in my shelves or my desk as they look to be high quality for the price.
I wasn't really trying to be a dick about it, but Smash Bros is the game that Nintendo is focusing on initially for these, and if what they bring to the game is "will play the game for you" I don't get the functional appeal. Don't get me wrong, I think they look really nice, but I am looking forward to playing Smash Bros, not having a toy play it for me.

1) Skylanders store data, just like Amiibo. Neither "transmit" anything. It's the portals or NFC readers that scan the data on them and then update it.
Skylanders and Infinity characters unlock actual game areas/campaigns. The games are built around them. These Nintendo characters are nothing like that.

2) They won't be used to "select" your character in Smash Bros. They are actually AI companions and will play and level up independently of your actions. You can even pit them against each other while you just watch, or pit one against a human friend, etc.
I was basing this on the E3 video I saw where the top Nintendo execs used those characters to SELECT on screen characters. If that's not the actual functionality then I have no fucking clue why they would have made the video showing that.

bread's done
Back