Cheap Ass Guide to the DS Lite [Pictures working again]

• Please log in to reply
284 replies to this topic

#121 daroga

daroga

swimming with nanocarp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2006 - 04:41 PM

I just ordered one with a case. I am wondering if it includes an AC Adapter I can use in the states? Or do I need to get a converter?

Should be fine. Japan uses the same AC adapter that we do.

Posted Image

#122 OGHowie

OGHowie

Old Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:51 PM

I'm thinking about possibly importing one.

Do you guys and gals think the White will eventually get pretty dirty?

#123 asianxcore

asianxcore

...to the moon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2006 - 06:10 PM

the pics look great.

i wish they would announce a release date for this thing in U.S, so that I won't be tempted to import it:) gahh must resist.

#124 Gator

Gator

A WINNER IS YOU

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:21 PM

Here's a question for you:

I get serious thumb crap in my right hand when playing Mario Kart on the DS. Does the DS Lite's new shape alleviate this? Have you had any pain while playing the Lite? What about with Metroid Hunters?

#125 beerguy961

beerguy961

I'm gonna get tore up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:38 PM

In case you didn't know, Kotaku linked to this article. Nice job.

#126 RelentlessRolento

RelentlessRolento

Conversation Comedy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:55 PM

:lol: yeah, it surprised me to see this thread got on otaku... I didn't think anyone in the world of press gave a crap about CAG... jk

http://www.kotaku.co...lite-163974.php

#127 Diiz

Diiz

calm like a bomb

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:56 PM

I get serious thumb crap in my right hand when playing Mario Kart on the DS. Does the DS Lite's new shape alleviate this? Have you had any pain while playing the Lite? What about with Metroid Hunters?

Yeah, this has been a problem for me as well, especially with Metroid.

Dammit if the Lite doesn't look sexy as hell. I wasn't really convinced that an upgrade would be worth it, but after looking at all the pics in the OP... damn. I can definitely wait a good long while to pick one up, but man that thing is slick.
Posted Image
MIDGARDSORMR
[75]WAR◆

I am a leaf on the wind,
Watch how I soar.

#128 Guest_Apossum_*

Guest_Apossum_*

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:10 PM

Nintendo should come up with some kind of a stand so you can play it without holding it. Something that could clip to a desk or table or something.

#129 daroga

daroga

swimming with nanocarp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:13 PM

I suppose that depends on how you hold it. I've played hour and a 1/2 long session of Mario Kart with the "loose hold" method and had no problems whatsoever.

Posted Image

#130 RelentlessRolento

RelentlessRolento

Conversation Comedy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:39 PM

Nintendo should come up with some kind of a stand so you can play it without holding it. Something that could clip to a desk or table or something.

or at least something to hook it up to a TV and choose which screen to display on the TV screen...

#131 daroga

daroga

swimming with nanocarp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:52 PM

or at least something to hook it up to a TV and choose which screen to display on the TV screen...

Wireless through the Rev...? ;)

I doubt the local connection has the bandwidth to do that, but it'd be amazingly cool if it did :)

Posted Image

#132 chewster777

chewster777

Do a barrel roll!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2006 - 09:01 PM

...Must...wait..for US release...

#133 RelentlessRolento

RelentlessRolento

Conversation Comedy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2006 - 10:26 PM

Wireless through the Rev...? ;)

I doubt the local connection has the bandwidth to do that, but it'd be amazingly cool if it did :)

either that or something along the lines of a controller adaptor with a screen and a DS card player for the Rev... I doubt it though.

#134 plastikpyro

plastikpyro

CAG veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2006 - 10:39 PM

Just a heads up for my fellow DS lite owners. The black soft case that came with the PSP works with the DS Lite. Perfect for those using another case for their PSP and not the one it came with. The DS fits nice and snug inside and very well protected. A cheap and easy solution for those who want to carry the system around in their pockets without having to worry about scratching up the nice exterior. If you don't own a PSP you can buy the case "pre-owned" from your local Gamestop at a very affordable price of 2.99

this one
Posted Image

#135 daroga

daroga

swimming with nanocarp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2006 - 10:51 PM

Just a heads up for my fellow DS lite owners. The black soft case that came with the PSP works with the DS Lite. Perfect for those using another case for their PSP and not the one it came with. The DS fits nice and snug inside and very well protected. A cheap and easy solution for those who want to carry the system around in their pockets without having to worry about scratching up the nice exterior. If you don't own a PSP you can buy the case "pre-owned" from your local Gamestop at a very affordable price of 2.99

Oh, thanks for reminding me! I wanted to post my suggestion for a case too.

I picked this one up (at least I think it's the same one, though my "Nintendo DS" logo is on the bottom rather than the top) at Best Buy for $10:
http://www.amazon.co...475814?v=glance

The advantage of getting a regular DS case over a DS Lite case, in my mind, if that you could still carry the DS Lite with a GBA game in its slot. This particular case has a nice soft inside, with a tight elastic strap to hold the system in place. A velcro and mesh pocket is opposite the system slot for games/stylus/whatever, as well as a back zipper pouch with some elastic straps that can hold a DS cart or a GBA cart, as well as a pocket that easily holds the AC adapter. Even fully loaded, the thing's not too thick, but does kind of detract from the... um... liteness... of the Lite, but worth the investment to keep it safe in my opinion.

Posted Image

#136 ratzombie

ratzombie

aka yunkie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2006 - 12:02 AM

Oh, thanks for reminding me! I wanted to post my suggestion for a case too.

I picked this one up (at least I think it's the same one, though my "Nintendo DS" logo is on the bottom rather than the top) at Best Buy for $10:
http://www.amazon.co...475814?v=glance

The advantage of getting a regular DS case over a DS Lite case, in my mind, if that you could still carry the DS Lite with a GBA game in its slot. This particular case has a nice soft inside, with a tight elastic strap to hold the system in place. A velcro and mesh pocket is opposite the system slot for games/stylus/whatever, as well as a back zipper pouch with some elastic straps that can hold a DS cart or a GBA cart, as well as a pocket that easily holds the AC adapter. Even fully loaded, the thing's not too thick, but does kind of detract from the... um... liteness... of the Lite, but worth the investment to keep it safe in my opinion.

I have this particular case, and it's been great. I definitely recommend picking it up, especially for $10.00.

#137 Zoglog

Zoglog

Blogging = AIDS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2006 - 12:24 AM

hmmm I've seen some pretty nice leather cases here.

#138 EldritchOnRye

EldritchOnRye

Posted 31 March 2006 - 02:05 AM

Wow... I feel so honored, I love Kotaku. Now where's my invite to comment? lol

Haven't been online in a couple days so I'll have to catch up on the thread and fix what's needed a little later.

3ds120.gif Picross 3D hot!68.gif  :pc: WoW  :wiiu: Mario Kart 8 :hot:   :vita: Front Mission 3   :xb1: TBD

Finished Games - Recently Completed: :xb1: Ryse :mrgreen:
EldritchOnRye.pngCinnabarSin.png

Trade List

#139 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 31 March 2006 - 06:15 AM

Nice job on the Kotaku mention! I didn't even whore it out to them!
One picture I'd like to see...a side-by-side comparison of styli!

#140 Zoglog

Zoglog

Blogging = AIDS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2006 - 09:11 AM

A bunch of DS lites arrived in akihabara today

#141 ArcticXC

ArcticXC

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2006 - 09:37 AM

Looks like Penny Arcade also linked. Watch out bandwidth.

#142 daroga

daroga

swimming with nanocarp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2006 - 12:14 PM

Nice job on the Kotaku mention! I didn't even whore it out to them!
One picture I'd like to see...a side-by-side comparison of styli!

You wish is my command...

DS Lite Stylus comparison (with a pencil as well to help those without a DS get an idea for how big the stylii are)

Cheapy, think amused toe and I can share in the amazing profits you'll OBVIOUSLY be rolling in after this flood of traffic? ;) Or.... could you pick us up a Japanese DS game sometime?

amusedtoe: feel free to link to this one in the first page whenever you get around to it.

Posted Image

#143 Nukkus

Nukkus

What is this I don't even

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2006 - 01:39 PM

i'm finding all fo this rather hard to believe, i think these pics are shopped. i call to attention exhibit a, the second hunters pic.

Posted Image

am i the ONLY person who noticed that it's displaying on the wrong screens?

#144 botticus

botticus

Posted 31 March 2006 - 01:42 PM

That's what thumbnails are for...

#145 troa11

troa11

Bag o' Hammers

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2006 - 01:57 PM

Uhh...I believe the Demo was backward. Which I'm pretty sure Daroga used since he doesn't own the new one

#146 daroga

daroga

swimming with nanocarp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2006 - 01:59 PM

i'm finding all fo this rather hard to believe, i think these pics are shopped. i call to attention exhibit a, the second hunters pic.

Did you look at the first screen from Hunters? That's the demo version, silly. I don't have the full-blown game. :)

Posted Image

#147 Quid

Quid

Posted 31 March 2006 - 02:06 PM

Looks like Penny Arcade also linked. Watch out bandwidth.

Yeah... we broke your OP's pictures.

Sorry.

#148 Guest_Apossum_*

Guest_Apossum_*

Posted 31 March 2006 - 02:12 PM

THE JIG IS UP DAROGA. ur busted man. Nukus saw right through your elaborate hoax ;)

#149 daroga

daroga

swimming with nanocarp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2006 - 02:20 PM

THE JIG IS UP DAROGA. ur busted man. Nukus saw right through your elaborate hoax ;)

Shoot! But I'm still REALLY COOL right? Can... can I still get a cookie? Please?

Posted Image

#150 botticus

botticus

Posted 31 March 2006 - 02:24 PM

Shoot! But I'm still REALLY COOL right? Can... can I still get a cookie? Please?

Hoarder.

At this point I'm more interested in them releasing a price point for the Lite, more than a release date. At least then I would know if I will even consider upgrading.