Cheap Ass Guide to the DS Lite [Pictures working again]

if you very lucky and fortunate guys have time can you post some more shots of various games on the ds lite? nintendo has to hurry up and announce a US release date already, and also a black version...

[quote name='bboynujen']if you very lucky and fortunate guys have time can you post some more shots of various games on the ds lite? nintendo has to hurry up and announce a US release date already, and also a black version...[/QUOTE]
I certainly can do anything in my collection. Any requests in particular? Lightining conditions, etc?

By demand, here's more pictures. Some of these didn't turn out as well as others, but hopefully you get the idea :) All of them are turned up to 4 on the brightness level. Enjoy!

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow [ Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 ]

Electroplankton [ Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 | Pic 5 | Pic 6 | Pic 7 | Pic 8 | Pic 9 | Pic 10 | Pic 11 ]

Kirby Canvas Curse [ Pic 1 | Pic 2 ]

Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt [ Pic 1 | Pic 2 ]

Metroid Prime Pinball [ Pic 1 | Pic 2 ]

Nanostray [ Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 ]

Polarium [ Pic 1 | Pic 2 ]

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attourney [ Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 ]

Trauma Center: Under the Knife [ Pic 1 | Pic 2 ]

Tetris DS [ Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 ]

[quote name='daroga']By demand, here's more pictures. Some of these didn't turn out as well as others, but hopefully you get the idea :) All of them are turned up to 4 on the brightness level. Enjoy![/quote]

Awesome! Are the new buttons concave like the current DS or are they rounded? It's really hard to tell in any of the pics I have seen so far.

Yea, the buttons are nice. What set up are you using for hunters? I'm having trouble finding a comfortable way to hold it for the stylus setup.

[quote name='amusedtoe']Yea, the buttons are nice. What set up are you using for hunters? I'm having trouble finding a comfortable way to hold it for the stylus setup.[/QUOTE]
I actually only have the original demo here. After shelling out the cash for the Lite I couldn't really afford to get too many new games :) I played the final version on my friend's DS with the thumb pad, didn't like that much. Played it at the store with the stylus, worked just fine, but I can imagine it would be tough to HOLD the system and play it that way, even with the Lite.

Ah, I see. Yea I shouldn't have bought it either but that's the story of my life. My problem is that with the stylus setup is that you have to fire, move, and support the system with your left hand all at once, and I can only do two at a time lol. If I can't figure something out maybe I'll tray playing with the sensitivity and the two handed style.

Edit- I'm also working on adding your pics to the Q&A as opposed to having a thread for every color.

[quote name='gizmogc']Got mine! $225 shipped with screen protectors! I just got my white DS Lite...HOLY SHIT! Everything looks so nice![/QUOTE]
YEAH! :D

for amusedtoe and daroga: some comments after a couple of days w/ the ds lite? i'm mainly wondering how comfortable it is considering my hand has had its fair share of cramping w/ metroid prime hunters. battery life close to whats quoted by nintendo?

[quote name='bboynujen']for amusedtoe and daroga: some comments after a couple of days w/ the ds lite? i'm mainly wondering how comfortable it is considering my hand has had its fair share of cramping w/ metroid prime hunters. battery life close to whats quoted by nintendo?[/QUOTE]
I'm digging it a lot. We played an hour of Mario Kart and Tetris today during a free hour. I think watching Cabel's thoughts on how to hold it help a lot. Crunching you hands around can be painful on the palms and cramp-inducing. I practiced holding my normal DS like this and actually was really comfortable; it's even more so with the more balanced and lighter Lite.

Battery life I can't weigh in on because work has prevented me from doing any sort of marathon play times. I keep it at brightness 4, and even after a decent length of time playing at work one night, and I've yet to see a low battery light on.

The screens are still amazing. Even in the harshest florcent light (haven't had the chance to try it in sunlight) doesn't even phase them (as long as you're not positioned so it's driectly reflecting the light).

Overall, perhaps I could've waited a few weeks to save a few bucks, but I'm very, very happy with it. Any other "week later" questions and I'd be glad to answer.

nice artical. i still cant bring myself to buy another ds, even if it has a better screen ( brighter screen didnt get me to buy another sp after selling the two i had). the only reason i'v kept my old ds is for the speakers sounding better then my old gba. to me,IMO, my PSP just kicks my ds's ass around

Awesome, thanks for the article amusedtoe and Daroga!

Hmm, I noticed that all the gameplay pictures on the main page are broken though. If you need another mirror, I can try hosting some.

[quote name='yukine']Awesome, thanks for the article amusedtoe and Daroga!

Hmm, I noticed that all the gameplay pictures on the main page are broken though. If you need another mirror, I can try hosting some.[/QUOTE]
I too can throw them on my domain if we'd like a permanent host for the pics

EDIT: Oops, I didn't see that amusedtoe lined my pics on the 2nd post. It looks like something got fouled up as it moved over. I moved the pics on my server to fix the problem!

Nice pics and thanks for the FAQ.

It's good to know ghosting isn't an issue. I got my girlfriend an SP2 and it was definitely noticeable on some games.

[quote name='bingbangboom']I just ordered one with a case. I am wondering if it includes an AC Adapter I can use in the states? Or do I need to get a converter?[/QUOTE]
Should be fine. Japan uses the same AC adapter that we do.

the pics look great.

i wish they would announce a release date for this thing in U.S, so that I won't be tempted to import it:) gahh must resist.

Here's a question for you:

I get serious thumb crap in my right hand when playing Mario Kart on the DS. Does the DS Lite's new shape alleviate this? Have you had any pain while playing the Lite? What about with Metroid Hunters?

[quote name='Gator']Here's a question for you:

I get serious thumb crap in my right hand when playing Mario Kart on the DS. Does the DS Lite's new shape alleviate this? Have you had any pain while playing the Lite? What about with Metroid Hunters?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this has been a problem for me as well, especially with Metroid.

Dammit if the Lite doesn't look sexy as hell. I wasn't really convinced that an upgrade would be worth it, but after looking at all the pics in the OP... damn. I can definitely wait a good long while to pick one up, but man that thing is slick.

Nintendo should come up with some kind of a stand so you can play it without holding it. Something that could clip to a desk or table or something.

[quote name='Gator']Here's a question for you:

I get serious thumb crap in my right hand when playing Mario Kart on the DS. Does the DS Lite's new shape alleviate this? Have you had any pain while playing the Lite? What about with Metroid Hunters?[/QUOTE]
I suppose that depends on how you hold it. I've played hour and a 1/2 long session of Mario Kart with the "loose hold" method and had no problems whatsoever.

[quote name='Apossum']Nintendo should come up with some kind of a stand so you can play it without holding it. Something that could clip to a desk or table or something.[/QUOTE]

or at least something to hook it up to a TV and choose which screen to display on the TV screen...

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']or at least something to hook it up to a TV and choose which screen to display on the TV screen...[/QUOTE]
Wireless through the Rev...? ;)

I doubt the local connection has the bandwidth to do that, but it'd be amazingly cool if it did :)

[quote name='daroga']Wireless through the Rev...? ;)

I doubt the local connection has the bandwidth to do that, but it'd be amazingly cool if it did :)[/QUOTE]

either that or something along the lines of a controller adaptor with a screen and a DS card player for the Rev... I doubt it though.

Just a heads up for my fellow DS lite owners. The black soft case that came with the PSP works with the DS Lite. Perfect for those using another case for their PSP and not the one it came with. The DS fits nice and snug inside and very well protected. A cheap and easy solution for those who want to carry the system around in their pockets without having to worry about scratching up the nice exterior. If you don't own a PSP you can buy the case "pre-owned" from your local Gamestop at a very affordable price of 2.99

this one
case-12big.jpg

[quote name='plastikpyro']Just a heads up for my fellow DS lite owners. The black soft case that came with the PSP works with the DS Lite. Perfect for those using another case for their PSP and not the one it came with. The DS fits nice and snug inside and very well protected. A cheap and easy solution for those who want to carry the system around in their pockets without having to worry about scratching up the nice exterior. If you don't own a PSP you can buy the case "pre-owned" from your local Gamestop at a very affordable price of 2.99
[/quote]
Oh, thanks for reminding me! I wanted to post my suggestion for a case too.

I picked this one up (at least I think it's the same one, though my "Nintendo DS" logo is on the bottom rather than the top) at Best Buy for $10:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000A6U5XQ/103-1461347-3475814?v=glance

The advantage of getting a regular DS case over a DS Lite case, in my mind, if that you could still carry the DS Lite with a GBA game in its slot. This particular case has a nice soft inside, with a tight elastic strap to hold the system in place. A velcro and mesh pocket is opposite the system slot for games/stylus/whatever, as well as a back zipper pouch with some elastic straps that can hold a DS cart or a GBA cart, as well as a pocket that easily holds the AC adapter. Even fully loaded, the thing's not too thick, but does kind of detract from the... um... liteness... of the Lite, but worth the investment to keep it safe in my opinion.

[quote name='daroga']Oh, thanks for reminding me! I wanted to post my suggestion for a case too.

I picked this one up (at least I think it's the same one, though my "Nintendo DS" logo is on the bottom rather than the top) at Best Buy for $10:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000A6U5XQ/103-1461347-3475814?v=glance

The advantage of getting a regular DS case over a DS Lite case, in my mind, if that you could still carry the DS Lite with a GBA game in its slot. This particular case has a nice soft inside, with a tight elastic strap to hold the system in place. A velcro and mesh pocket is opposite the system slot for games/stylus/whatever, as well as a back zipper pouch with some elastic straps that can hold a DS cart or a GBA cart, as well as a pocket that easily holds the AC adapter. Even fully loaded, the thing's not too thick, but does kind of detract from the... um... liteness... of the Lite, but worth the investment to keep it safe in my opinion.[/quote]

I have this particular case, and it's been great. I definitely recommend picking it up, especially for $10.00.

[quote name='beerguy961']In case you didn't know, Kotaku linked to this article. Nice job.[/QUOTE]

Wow... I feel so honored, I love Kotaku. Now where's my invite to comment? lol

Haven't been online in a couple days so I'll have to catch up on the thread and fix what's needed a little later.

Nice job on the Kotaku mention! I didn't even whore it out to them!
One picture I'd like to see...a side-by-side comparison of styli!

[quote name='CheapyD']Nice job on the Kotaku mention! I didn't even whore it out to them!
One picture I'd like to see...a side-by-side comparison of styli![/QUOTE]
You wish is my command...

DS Lite Stylus comparison (with a pencil as well to help those without a DS get an idea for how big the stylii are)

Cheapy, think amused toe and I can share in the amazing profits you'll OBVIOUSLY be rolling in after this flood of traffic? ;) Or.... could you pick us up a Japanese DS game sometime?

amusedtoe: feel free to link to this one in the first page whenever you get around to it.

i'm finding all fo this rather hard to believe, i think these pics are shopped. i call to attention exhibit a, the second hunters pic.

am i the ONLY person who noticed that it's displaying on the wrong screens?

Uhh...I believe the Demo was backward. Which I'm pretty sure Daroga used since he doesn't own the new one

[quote name='Nukkus']i'm finding all fo this rather hard to believe, i think these pics are shopped. i call to attention exhibit a, the second hunters pic.

am i the ONLY person who noticed that it's displaying on the wrong screens?[/QUOTE]
Did you look at the first screen from Hunters? That's the demo version, silly. I don't have the full-blown game. :)

[quote name='ArcticXC']Looks like Penny Arcade also linked. Watch out bandwidth.[/quote]

Yeah... we broke your OP's pictures.

Sorry.

[quote name='Nukkus']i'm finding all fo this rather hard to believe, i think these pics are shopped. i call to attention exhibit a, the second hunters pic.

am i the ONLY person who noticed that it's displaying on the wrong screens?[/QUOTE]

THE JIG IS UP DAROGA. ur busted man. Nukus saw right through your elaborate hoax ;)

[quote name='Apossum']THE JIG IS UP DAROGA. ur busted man. Nukus saw right through your elaborate hoax ;)[/QUOTE]
Shoot! But I'm still REALLY COOL right? Can... can I still get a cookie? Please?

bread's done
Back