Cheap Ass Guide to the DS Lite [Pictures working again]

[quote name='plastikpyro']LOL! There aren't enough hours in a day! What happens when you unlock it?[/QUOTE]

Shhh, you tell me and I start getting stabey.

Anyway, going to add a running Q&A to the start of the thread to collect questions, such as about the finish, so others without the patience to dig through the thread will have access to them. :)

[quote name='plastikpyro']Had a friend pick one up for me on his business trip to Japan. He went to 6 different stores before he was able to find one. Enamel Blue is a hot color as these pics don't do it justice but I'm a little more partial to white as it was my first choice. Seeing the OP's white DSLite makes me jealous. oh well beggers can't be choosers. Hope you guys enjoy the pics.

1-xl.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Loving the way that looks =P~
I like it a lot more than my current blue DS. I may wait for a black version but I have to say the navy is really slick looking.

[quote name='plastikpyro']LOL! There aren't enough hours in a day! What happens when you unlock it?[/QUOTE]

Well, besides new startup and victory screens, getting a gold trophy in all of the Grand Prix modes (50cc, 100cc, and 150cc for Classic and Retro, plus 150cc Mirror Mode tracks once you unlock those) will net you many goodies:

150cc Mirror Mode
Finish 150cc Retro Class with Gold trophies on every cup

Character - Daisy
Get a Gold Trophy on every cup in Retro Grand Prix on 50cc

Character - Dry Bones
Get a Gold Trophy on every cup in Nitro Grand Prix on 50cc

Character - Waluigi
Get a Gold Trophy on every cup in Retro Grand Prix on 100cc

Item - 3rd kart for all characters
Get a Gold Trophy on every cup in Nitro Grand Prix on 100cc

Item - Choose from 7 karts for each character
Get a gold trophy in every cup in Nitro Grand Prix on 150cc

Item - Choose from any kart for each character
Get a gold trophy in every cup in the Grand Prix on 150cc mirror that you didn't use to unlock R.O.B.

Unlock "Mission 7" in Mission Mode
Get at least a 1-star ranking on all levels of every mission in Mission Levels 1-6

Unlock R.O.B. as a racer
Finish either 150cc Mirror Mode Class with Gold Trophies on all cups

I unlocked all of that over a weekend of dedicated play, experimenting with a lot of different kart/character combos. One tip I will give you: Note which character/kart you're able to beat the 150cc circuits with, then use the same in the mirror mode. All the extras can be used in online multiplayer, incidentally. It was seeing someone playing as the last unlockable character on that list that got me interested in the first place and kept me motivated until the end. I was like, "Whoa! How did he get that?!"

so is there any word about when the next big shipments will be?

these things are selling well at $300 a pop on ebay, this sucks!

[quote name='Apossum']so is there any word about when the next big shipments will be?

these things are selling well at $300 a pop on ebay, this sucks![/QUOTE]

Not sure since there was a shipment to a bic camera (not sure if other stores got much or anything, only heard about this rather large store) a day or two ago, rather quietish, but word got out and even fairly short term the line was insane. The thing that this perfectly illustrates is that even if Nintendo was to let's say, ship twice as many units as at launch the demand wouldn't be near sated.

When you have little old women laying on concrete steps heading up the lines to get units for themselves it's stepped way beyond the PS2, which I'd regard as our most insane launch to date, which was unprecedented but was still almost entirely the hardcore gamer intermingled with some parents desperately trying to shut their spoiled kids up. Think to the numbers that came out after the Crystal White DS Lite launch too. The DS Lite sold about 68 thousand units, the regular DS still sold almost 50 thousand. Now mind you the DS Lite did this in realistically about 6 hours probably, if not less. Pretend there was an infinite supply to meet the demand and the first day sales alone would have mind boggling. It's literally all of Japan that wants this thing.

Let's pretend again that Nintendo does ship about 200 thousand units, very doubtful but we're pretending after all, I don't see it impacting Ebay prices or the inflated importer prices much, though far more likely not at all. Nintendo couldn't come within miles of meeting the Japanese demand for the fatty system over the course of more then 3 months, how do they have a chance when we're not even outside of a month and he demand is so high people sit in line and play their DS. Is Nintendo really going to make it easier on the exporters or serve their people who will tear them apart even worse for still not being able to meet the demand with two units?

NCSX, where I preordered from, said today that they *might* get *some* on the 30th of March or beginning of April. Even at that, prices will be at least $221 + shipping. I'm wondering if prices will go down at all before it launches over here later this year.

I'm suddenly not regretting biting on eBay at all. If anyone is interested in my spot in line at NCSX, let me know. I'll see if they can do a transfer of sorts.

EDIT: Here's a similar-sounding update:
http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/ds/surprise-surprise-still-no-ds-lites-161841.php

See you've got to wonder too if what had possibly been a May or June launch here not materializing until Christmas season swings around. Should this kind of demand hold up for another 5 or 6 months how could Nintendo launch it here sooner when they have the pass of an unannounced date.

[quote name='amusedtoe']See you've got to wonder too if what had possibly been a May or June launch here not materializing until Christmas season swings around. Should this kind of demand hold up for another 5 or 6 months how could Nintendo launch it here sooner when they have the pass of an unannounced date.[/QUOTE]
Exactly. That was part of the reason I preordered, and the main reason I just grabbed one off of eBay. I want 2 DSs for my honeymoon coming up so on long plane rides/airport waits, etc. my future-wife and I can throw down some Tetris, or Meteos or what have you. And at this point, spending money on a regular DS isn't an option, not when I've seen the glory of the Lite. Why isn't mine here yet?! ;)

doh...I saw a $200 + $5 shipping Lite on ebay. I didn't trust him though...only 8 positives and no original pic of the system.

Eh... I don't really see this affecting the US launch all that much. Though again, we don't know what Nintendo's plans were for it anyway. It's not as if Nintendo didn't anticipate the demand for the Lite in Japan. Only thing that would change my mind is if they were using the same production companies for both versions.

Well, this blows, the seller I ordered from might not have any DS Lites actually in stock (surprise, surprise). How hard is it to get my money back via PayPal if he doesn't actually have any to ship? Dang it, I KNEW I should've used a credit card rather than my checking account. GR!

[quote name='daroga']Well, this blows, the seller I ordered from might not have any DS Lites actually in stock (surprise, surprise). How hard is it to get my money back via PayPal if he doesn't actually have any to ship? Dang it, I KNEW I should've used a credit card rather than my checking account. GR![/QUOTE]

Depends. Did you check the box for the PayPal protected purchase insurance thingy? Then PayPal will reimburse you if this fucker won't. If not, all you can do is play it cool at first, then threaten to report him to eBay/PayPal if he doesn't refund your money.

I don't know if this has been asked in other places, so forgive me if it has. Does the DS cart really stick out that far? Do you find that to be a downfall?

[quote name='ZForce915']I don't know if this has been asked in other places, so forgive me if it has. Does the DS cart really stick out that far? Do you find that to be a downfall?[/QUOTE]

I think you mean the GBA cart, and yes, it does unfortunately. Guess there just wasn't enough room to jam everything in there and the entire GBA cart. Playing it isn't that bad, but you won't be able to comfortably stick it in a case made for it without taking the cart out. Mostly it just makes carrying it around with a DS and a GBA game annoying.

Does it acctually detract from the system? That's going to be a matter of personal opinion. For me, other then ease of portability, it doesn't really since I have few GBA games I'd want to carry around everywhere anyway. If you take WarioWare or something everywhere that might be a problem. I'll make that sacrifice for how sleek the system is though.

i think hes refering to my Super Card SD. The Super Card SD is bigger so yes it does stick out further then a normal GBA cartridge. It's a small price to pay to have all of my favorite GBA games on one cartridge.

Super Card SD
sc-sd.jpg

[quote name='plastikpyro']i think hes refering to my Super Card SD. The Super Card SD is bigger so yes it does stick out further then a normal GBA cartridge. It's a small price to pay to have all of my favorite GBA games on one cartridge.

Super Card SD
sc-sd.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Plus, Boba Fett.

[quote name='plastikpyro']i think hes refering to my Super Card SD. The Super Card SD is bigger so yes it does stick out further then a normal GBA cartridge. It's a small price to pay to have all of my favorite GBA games on one cartridge.

Super Card SD
sc-sd.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Yes, your card was noticably sticking out. But in the first post his was too but it would seem as if he did that for illustrative purposes. I don't mind the GBA portion sticking out and LOVE the GBA cover.

Hey, good news! Got a tracking number today! It's shipped out Express from Hong Kong today which means it should be here by Friday morning! :D I guess lighting a fire underneath a seller doesn't hurt :) Many, many high res Navy pics will be online by Friday afternoon assuming everything goes as planned.

[quote name='botticus']Eh... I don't really see this affecting the US launch all that much. Though again, we don't know what Nintendo's plans were for it anyway. It's not as if Nintendo didn't anticipate the demand for the Lite in Japan. Only thing that would change my mind is if they were using the same production companies for both versions.[/quote]

http://gonintendo.com/?p=1610

We'll know soon.

[quote name='daroga']Hey, good news! Got a tracking number today! It's shipped out Express from Hong Kong today which means it should be here by Friday morning! :D I guess lighting a fire underneath a seller doesn't hurt :) Many, many high res Navy pics will be online by Friday afternoon assuming everything goes as planned.[/QUOTE]

Woot!

[quote name='ZForce915']Yes, your card was noticably sticking out. But in the first post his was too but it would seem as if he did that for illustrative purposes. I don't mind the GBA portion sticking out and LOVE the GBA cover.[/QUOTE]

Were you talking about this picture, if not I apologize as I'm still unclear what you're refering to. If it is I just popped the card up.

Thumb20.jpg

Great guide, similar to reading a romance novel. Not that I read those anyway.... maybe for the naughty parts.

[quote name='CheapyD']Nice job on the guide!
FWIW, Nintendo DSs (regular and Lite) are still sold out in Japan. :([/QUOTE]

Wow the CheapMan himself likes it, I feel special. :)

[quote name='phatbunbao']So there wasn't any news on the us release?[/QUOTE]

I think you may have missed it... Its already released through the exclusive US retailer Ebay!!

[quote name='Snake2715']I think you may have missed it... Its already released through the exclusive US retailer Ebay!![/QUOTE]

Bingo.

Reggies words though were "DS Lite date announcement is coming soon. You will have to wait on that." So that could mean any day now, or it mean we might not hear anything unitl E3.

[quote name='Purkeynator']Have you played with the wifi yet? I want to know if there is support for wpa or 802.11 g speeds.[/QUOTE]

No I haven't since I won't have boadband again for another week, but the wireless, along with all the other base functions, are supposed to be unchanged.

Got my Navy DS Lite today! :whistle2:D Pictures are in my posts below this one.

Thus far my observations are:

- The new buttons feel wonderful. The d-pad takes a little bit of getting used to (like 30 seconds) with Mario Kart, but other than that, it's perfect.
- The balance and improved weight are noticable right away. It's hard to imagine playing a normal DS anymore...
- Transfering the WiFi settings from the old DS worked perfectly. Preserved all my online stats and freinds lists.
- Tried out Mario 1 in a GBA SP2, Fat DS, and DS Lite. I noticed similar amounts of blur on the Fat DS and the SP2, but noticably less on the DS Lite.
- The dark blue color is VERY prone to smudges. But, I figured that already. :)

If you've got any questions, let me know. I'll try to get some better screen comparison pics up this evening. If you have any specific pictures you want to see, let me know :)

Ooo, ooo, my turn to ask a question lol.

Did you get and put on screen guards? I ask because I'm still waiting on mine from Play Asia since I could find any of the Hori ones over here, but the screens are just magnents for grease. You barely touch them and the whole things a slick just about. If you haven't do you have any ideas on something to clean them with? I've been using the little cloth that came with my PC case to wipe it down, since it's a black mirror paint finish, but it seems to be less effective then it was before.

[quote name='daroga']Got my Navy DS Lite today! :whistle2:D ]
- The balance and improved weight are noticable right away. It's hard to imagine playing a normal DS anymore...
[/QUOTE]

in that case, if you decide to throw away your other 4 DSes, remember Uncle Apossum in wisconsin ;)

[quote name='Apossum']in that case, if you decide to throw away your other 4 DSes, remember Uncle Apossum in wisconsin ;)[/QUOTE]
hehe, only one of those is mine and it's going to my fiancee. :)

[quote name='amusedtoe']Ooo, ooo, my turn to ask a question lol.

Did you get and put on screen guards? I ask because I'm still waiting on mine from Play Asia since I could find any of the Hori ones over here, but the screens are just magnents for grease. You barely touch them and the whole things a slick just about. If you haven't do you have any ideas on something to clean them with? I've been using the little cloth that came with my PC case to wipe it down, since it's a black mirror paint finish, but it seems to be less effective then it was before.[/QUOTE]
I usually just put a drop or two of rubbing alcohol on the screen and then rub it with a glasses lens cloth (or a bath towel is there's something nasty dried on there. Always works well :)

[quote name='daroga']hehe, only one of those is mine and it's going to my fiancee. :)[/QUOTE]

A gentleman would give her the Lite. ;)

[quote name='Tybee']A gentleman would give her the Lite. ;)[/QUOTE]
True enough, but we decided that the eprson who would use it the most should have the $300 DS. ;) We'll get her one when they come out here I sell the Graphite one.

[quote name='daroga']True enough, but we decided that the eprson who would use it the most should have the $300 DS. ;) We'll get her one when they come out here I sell the Graphite one.[/QUOTE]

If I spent $300 on another DS, my wife would rip my balls off and show them to me, especially since she was the one who busted her butt going to like 10 different stores to find the one I have now -- my surprise Christmas present two years ago. It's got sentimental value.

I'm hoping by the time they release the DS Lite here, she'll warm to the idea.

Welcome to married life!

[quote name='daroga']I usually just put a drop or two of rubbing alcohol on the screen and then rub it with a glasses lens cloth (or a bath towel is there's something nasty dried on there. Always works well :)[/QUOTE]

The thought scares me... Maybe I'll try it before I put the protectors down if I can't get them clean to a satisfactory level.

[quote name='amusedtoe']The thought scares me... Maybe I'll try it before I put the protectors down if I can't get them clean to a satisfactory level.[/QUOTE]
Never had a problem. Just make sure the system is off when you do it ;) That being said, I don't use screen protectors either. Why ruin the pure expierience? I've own a DS for over a year now and haven't been able to get it scratched to the point that I can even tell at all if the system's on... or in normal lighting. Gotta tip it all weird like to see any of the light scuffs.

[quote name='daroga']hehe, as I said above, those mostly aren't mine. The graphite one is mine, going to my fiancee, the others belong to friends in the dorm :)[/QUOTE]
I miss dorms... multiplayer gaming can not be beat in that environment.

[quote name='botticus']I miss dorms... multiplayer gaming can not be beat in that environment.[/QUOTE]
Indeed! And with Wavebirds or DSes, no one is killing themselves with cords

Not sure if this warrants its own thread or not, but I'll just post it as a reply here. If someone thinks it ought to be moved out, let me know.

Alright, now that I've played with the Lite for a while and could actually take some time to do some decently taken pictures, I present you with 2 comparison sets. The Original DS vs. the DS Lite and the Backlight-SP vs. the DS Lite. The little numbers scrawled in my chicken scratch underneath some of the systems were mostly for me so that I could remember what the brightness setting were, but make a nice guide I think so I didn't crop them out. A note on the SP vs. the Lite pics, the SP has a purple background to most of the menus (since my roommate beat the game I think?), so the colors aren't "off" on one machine or the other. The colors are the same in the top right hand corner of the SP screen and the whole of the DS screen.

All of these pictures were taken under very bright, very harsh florcent lights to give you an idea of the usability of each machine in obnoxious lighting conditions.

Original DS vs. DS Lite
- DS Lite at brightness level 1
- DS Lite at brightness level 2
- DS Lite at brightness level 3
- DS Lite at brightness level 4

Backlit Game Boy Advance SP vs. DS Lite
- SP at low brightness, DS Lite at brightness level 1
- SP at high brightness, DS Lite at brightness level 1

- SP at low brightness, DS Lite at brightness level 2
- SP at high brightness, DS Lite at brightness level 2

- SP at low brightness, DS Lite at brightness level 3
- SP at high brightness, DS Lite at brightness level 3

- SP at low brightness, DS Lite at brightness level 4
- SP at high brightness, DS Lite at brightness level 4

There you have it. The DS Lite screen blows away the original DS, but the newer SP keeps in step pretty well.

Here's some of the shots I took of the DS Lite earlier, figured they ought to be linked in this post too:
- Enamel Navy DS Lite Top
- Enamel Navy DS Lite Front
- Enamel Navy DS Lite Card Slot
- Enamel Navy DS Lite Power Button
- Enamel Navy DS Lite D-Pad
- Enamel Navy DS Lite BAYX Buttons
- Enamel Navy DS Lite and Graphite Original DS
- DS Lite Grey AC Adapter

EDIT: Just for fun, how does the DS Lite compare to the 8-pounds-of-batteries sucking screen on the Game Gear?
- Shot 1
- Shot 2

EDIT 2: There was a request to see what the DS Lite looked like running a few different games. Here are a few shots, brightness level 4, under florecent lights.
By demand, here's more pictures. Some of these didn't turn out as well as others, but hopefully you get the idea :) All of them are turned up to 4 on the brightness level. Enjoy!

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow [ Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 ]
Electroplankton [ Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 | Pic 5 | Pic 6 | Pic 7 | Pic 8 | Pic 9 | Pic 10 | Pic 11 ]
Kirby Canvas Curse [ Pic 1 | Pic 2 ]
Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt [ Pic 1 | Pic 2 ]
Metroid Prime Pinball [ Pic 1 | Pic 2 ]
Nanostray [ Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 ]
Polarium [ Pic 1 | Pic 2 ]
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attourney [ Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 ]
Trauma Center: Under the Knife [ Pic 1 | Pic 2 ]
Tetris DS [ Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 ]

Usurp my thread why don't ya?!? Nah, I'm kidding. I'll link them at the start of the post when I have time later. :)

Speaking of which, have you used it in like complete darkness yet? That really blew me away, lol.

[quote name='amusedtoe']Usurp my thread why don't ya?!? Nah, I'm kidding. I'll link them at the start of the post when I have time later. :)

Speaking of which, have you used it in like complete darkness yet? That really blew me away, lol.[/QUOTE]
It's been my goal since I first saw this thread to take it over, and now it looks like it finally may happen! HAAHAHAHA!

I haven't used it in the dark yet because I kinda want to be able to see tomorrow, but I may try tonight anyway ;) Some surreal Electroplankton time before bed, who knows what kind of whacked out dreams that'll produce.

bread's done
Back