Cheap Ass Guide to the DS Lite [Pictures working again]

[quote name='daroga']Shoot! But I'm still REALLY COOL right? Can... can I still get a cookie? Please?[/QUOTE]
Hoarder.

At this point I'm more interested in them releasing a price point for the Lite, more than a release date. At least then I would know if I will even consider upgrading.

Query: Does anyone with a DSL also have an e-Reader? I'd like to know if an e-Reader would fit into the DSL without hacking off the EXT port with a saw - and since GBA carts stick out of the e-Reader a bit, it seems to me it would work...

[quote name='UncleBob']Query: Does anyone with a DSL also have an e-Reader? I'd like to know if an e-Reader would fit into the DSL without hacking off the EXT port with a saw - and since GBA carts stick out of the e-Reader a bit, it seems to me it would work...[/QUOTE]
That's an interesting question. I'll be able to test it out in about 2 hours and I'll report... and maybe post new pics ;)

... I thought I felt good when Kotaku linked this. :D

Well guess I have some work ahead of me today, first thing I saw when I got on today was an e-mail from Photobucket saying I was making their site melt, lol. Does imageshack limit bandwidth though? I swear I remember seeing similiar images for them saying it had been viewed too much. Maybe I'll just pay for somewhere to host them if I can find something cheap.

Edit- Just noticed that the thread views as of right now is up to about 22,500... o_O Last time I looked itwas like 2,000...

[quote name='Nukkus']i'm finding all fo this rather hard to believe, i think these pics are shopped. i call to attention exhibit a, the second hunters pic.

am i the ONLY person who noticed that it's displaying on the wrong screens?[/quote] Apparently you're the ONLY person who can't thumbnail an image. :roll:

[quote name='Lou-Dawg']Is there any way to use imageshack instead of photobucket on the first page? Photobucket sucks...[/quote]
Assuming they can thumbnail all the images, yes.

[quote name='shrike4242']Apparently you're the ONLY person who can't thumbnail an image. :roll:

[/QUOTE]

i actually have no idea myself and it isn't in the faq. someone school me please?

Shoot! But I'm still REALLY COOL right? Can... can I still get a cookie? Please?

actually, this stunt elevates you to limits of coolness that few people have experienced. You can just point at women and they'll give you cookies.

Ok, got the pictures working again after transferring everything to Imageshack and redoing all the code. Each image gets 100mb of bandwidth per hour so hopefully that will be good enough. At least this way too if if gets swamped and things go down you can check back in a little and they should be working again. If that's not good enough I'll figure something else out.

Now I can finally go back and take care of the updates I need to. lol

[quote name='Gator']Here's a question for you:

I get serious thumb crap in my right hand when playing Mario Kart on the DS. Does the DS Lite's new shape alleviate this? Have you had any pain while playing the Lite? What about with Metroid Hunters?[/QUOTE]

Only playing Metroid but that just seems to the game doing the best it can on the system. I'd certainly imagine it's better then with the original though and seems to be an across the board problem anyway.

[quote name='plastikpyro']Just a heads up for my fellow DS lite owners. The black soft case that came with the PSP works with the DS Lite.[/QUOTE]

I picked up this case for about $3 from the Target clearence over the summer. It's for the original but the elastic strap's plenty tight that it holds the unit securely and is padded really well too.

23302446.JPG

I can't believe how many views this got just from being linked by Penny Arcade. BTW Gabe bows to your superior DS thread and said he couldn't really think of much more to add. Congradulations!

Congrats on the Penny Arcade mention, guys!
How did CAG hold up during the increase in visitors? Was it slow as balls?

[quote name='CheapyD']Congrats on the Penny Arcade mention, guys!
How did CAG hold up during the increase in visitors? Was it slow as balls?[/QUOTE]
I had a couple laggy moments, but I've had that occasionally at work, never at home (memory leak in IE? I dunno). Nothing worse than we usually encounter.

[quote name='daroga']Did you look at the first screen from Hunters? That's the demo version, silly. I don't have the full-blown game. :)[/quote]

well pardon me, but i have 3 copies of the MPH: First Hunt, and with all of them the map is displayed on the touch screen, and the gameplay is on the top screen. if it was to be displayed as you show it, then it would be unplayable, as there would be no way to activate the morph ball or switch weapons.
either your demo is screwed, your ds is screwed, or you're shopping these pics with a mockup unit.

[quote name='daroga']Yup, the ereader works just fine. The EXT port is far away from the system, and even if it weren't, the Lite is shallow enough that it would've slid over (see pic 2). That being said, if Wario Ware Twisted looks goofy, this thing is just stupid. ;)

eReader in DS Lite
Close up of eReader in DS Lite[/QUOTE]

Yay! It works!
I love my e-Reader.

Seriously, it's a same that it looks so unplayable in that position... ;)
All well, one more reason to eventually get a DSL of my own! Thanks for checking that out for me!

sigh...really now.

[quote name='Nukkus']well pardon me, but i have 3 copies of the MPH: First Hunt, and with all of them the map is displayed on the touch screen, and the gameplay is on the top screen. if it was to be displayed as you show it, then it would be unplayable, as there would be no way to activate the morph ball or switch weapons.
either your demo is screwed, [/quote] The demo's fine...it's my copy. Flipping the screens and playing the "E3" way is an option in the game.
[quote name='Nukkus']your ds is screwed,[/quote] which is why all those other games he took pictures of work fine.
[quote name='Nukkus']or you're shopping these pics with a mockup unit.[/quote] Now this is what gets me...which is more likely, that Daroga bought a DS Lite off ebay at an inflated price, or that he randomly received a mockup unit, is some sort of Photoshop Deity, and decided to hoax us all for fame and glory spending hours upon hours meticulously creating somewhere around 50 photos and managed to make a mistake as dumb as having the screens reversed on a game.

Trust me, it's a real ds lite. I've seen it, I've held it, I've played against him on my own ds lite on Mario Kart. Can we stop with the ridiculous accusations now?

[quote name='Nukkus']well pardon me, but i have 3 copies of the MPH: First Hunt, and with all of them the map is displayed on the touch screen, and the gameplay is on the top screen. if it was to be displayed as you show it, then it would be unplayable, as there would be no way to activate the morph ball or switch weapons.
either your demo is screwed, your ds is screwed, or you're shopping these pics with a mockup unit.[/QUOTE]
My dear, dear Nukkus. If you think I really spent 50 some hours photoshopping those pictures, then you just believe that. Meanwhile, I'll just continue to enjoy my DS Lite, playing games on this great system with all the time I saved by just buying one vs. having to photoshop all those pics.

Just out of curiosity, where would I have gotten the screen shots that you think I hacked together? If you think my photoshop skills go to the point that I can make direct capture shots look like some of those Electroplankton shots look, I'm flattered. Truth be told I DID Photoshop all of those pictures!!! To crop them and insert my URL brand on them and then save them. They are indeed teh hax000r3d!!!11

EDIT: Wow, just checked some stat tracking that I enabled late yesterday morning. From like noon till midnight yesterday, those pictures used up 7 gigs of bandwidth.

either your demo is screwed, your ds is screwed, or you're shopping these pics with a mockup unit.[/QUOTE]

and he would've gotten away with it if it wasn't for you meddling noobs!

[quote name='CheapyD']Congrats on the Penny Arcade mention, guys!
How did CAG hold up during the increase in visitors? Was it slow as balls?[/QUOTE]

Funny, I didn't even notice that this thread existed, yet I visit the DS/GBA boards at least once a day:oops:

As for MPH/MPH:FS, I do believe there's an option to flip the screens, because there's an option were you tap the screen to shoot (checking now).

EDIT: Nevermind, the option's not in MPH and I can't find my FH demo, so I wouldn't be able to tell you.

Yep, that's how it originally was. And even up until a couple weeks ago if you saw a MPH:FH demo unit in stores it was that way. I'm still shocked we picked up almost another 4,000 views overnight lol.

Here's a question that should be obvious from the pictures but I'm still not 100% sure about:

The original DSs bottom screen was sunken into the system, and because of that dirt and gunk always wound up in the edges and corners. I've even heard reports of crap getting under the screen because of this.

So my question is, is the DS Lite's screen sunken, flat, or raised?

Oh, and here's my obligatory thank-you for the sweet guide. In your original post, you completely understood the perspective for those of us obsessed and lusting after the Lite and explained what it's like accordingly.

It's kind of a raised flat. If you look at the angled side-view pics that Daroga took, you can see that the area around the screen is raised up, yet naturally the screen itself is sunked in somewhat from the area around it. This design keeps a lot of dust and whatnot from accumulating when closed, but dust still gets in there. However, it's really nothing that a good dusting cloth and some screen cleaner won't get out. If there is any left, you don't notice it when the unit's powered on.

ok, forgive me if this has been answered already, but...

when you first turn it on, i have to assume everything's in japanese. is it a chore to get it to english? thanks.

ph

[quote name='phwank']ok, forgive me if this has been answered already, but...

when you first turn it on, i have to assume everything's in japanese. is it a chore to get it to english? thanks.

ph[/QUOTE]
Actually, for mine, it already game set in English. I'm not sure if this is something the guy I bought it from did or not. My first import DS had to be setup, but it was easy to figure out in Japanese and then very easy to switch over to English once I got it setup.

In other words, even if you have to, no, it's not a pain.

[quote name='amusedtoe']Yep, that's how it originally was. And even up until a couple weeks ago if you saw a MPH:FH demo unit in stores it was that way. I'm still shocked we picked up almost another 4,000 views overnight lol.[/QUOTE]

one word. whoah!

[quote name='daroga']Actually, for mine, it already game set in English. I'm not sure if this is something the guy I bought it from did or not. My first import DS had to be setup, but it was easy to figure out in Japanese and then very easy to switch over to English once I got it setup.

In other words, even if you have to, no, it's not a pain.[/QUOTE]

Had to have been something the guy did since mine was in Japanese when I got it. It's not overly hard since everythings either got icons or what can be entered only makes sense as one thing, so you can guess your way through pretty easy. Even if you can't you should be able to get past it all and push things until you find the launguage option.

Yeah mine was all in Japanese, but the options are identical to the regular DS...so if you can find the language controls on an english DS (about 3 taps from the main menu) you're set.

[quote name='amusedtoe']Yep, that's how it originally was. And even up until a couple weeks ago if you saw a MPH:FH demo unit in stores it was that way. I'm still shocked we picked up almost another 4,000 views overnight lol.[/quote]

funny, i have the launch demo for MP:FH and there is NO WAY WHATSOEVER to flip the screens.

[quote name='Nukkus']funny, i have the launch demo for MP:FH and there is NO WAY WHATSOEVER to flip the screens.[/quote]

hmm...maybe your demo is screwed, your ds is screwed, or you're just not right.

[quote name='Nukkus']funny, i have the launch demo for MP:FH and there is NO WAY WHATSOEVER to flip the screens.[/QUOTE]
Options-> Control Mode -> TR

Game. Set. Match. Now please stop crapping on our thread.

[quote name='Nukkus']funny, i have the launch demo for MP:FH and there is NO WAY WHATSOEVER to flip the screens.[/QUOTE]

seriously, get over it.

I didn't see anything about this, but how does the Lite handle direct sunlight on the screen? I was playing my DS in the car today, and the fucking sun made it a lot harder to see what was going on. Any improvements here?

I don't think there's any real solution for direct, on the screen sunlight. However, playing in my car in broad daylight has been very doable, much much easier than the normal DS. My wife insists on using my DS Lite for car trips now instead of hers which is the original model.

How does it sound compared to the original DS? does it still sound fuzzy when you turn it up loud?

[quote name='Apossum']How does it sound compared to the original DS? does it still sound fuzzy when you turn it up loud?[/QUOTE]
It's a little quieter. I never really noticed an issue with when it was loud. The thing I had an issue with was certain GBA games, like Metroid Zero Mission, when the volume was very soft, it would distraort and just be pure static. That appears to have been fixed on the Lite.

I have my White DS Lite so I'll answer a feq questions.

I took my DS to work yesterday and played it a bit on m lunch break....in my car. The sun was directly on the Lite and it did glare a bit. Not as bad as the original DS, but still made playing Castlevnia a bit touch.

The sound is MUCH better on the Lite. It was one of the first things I noticed.

Good to hear about the sound, that always annoyed me about the DS when trying to play GBA games.

I can't wait to get the Lite! It's going to be hard to hold onto my current DS, I was originally going to keep my current DS and then get a Lite. But I might just sell the old model to help me get a second Lite for my girlfriend.

[quote name='yukine']But I might just sell the old model to help me get a second vibrator for my girlfriend.[/QUOTE]

Fixed

Little side note...

Have the Stylus' on the side makes things much easier when playing certain games that only use the Stylus in random situations (Like Castlevania).

[quote name='gizmogc']Fixed[/quote]
She doesn't need one. ;)

But since you're in a "fixing" kind of mood, the Friend Code thread could use an update.

[quote name='gizmogc']Little side note...

Have the Stylus' on the side makes things much easier when playing certain games that only use the Stylus in random situations (Like Castlevania).[/QUOTE]

That's very true since you can just whip it out, doodle, and throw it back in without missing a beat.

[quote name='amusedtoe']That's very true since you can just whip it out, doodle, and throw it back in without missing a beat.[/quote]

Interesting...

May I ask what happened to the thumbstrap that came with the original DS? Did Nintendo decide to exclude it or something?

bread's done
Back