"Wii is $50 too expensive and three weeks too late."

Zoglog

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
http://blogs.ign.com/Matt-IGN/2006/10/02/32421/#comments

Still, Nintendo says it's going after the mainstream audience so I want to see it really do that from the start, and a $249 price point is not quite mainstream enough. This is especially true when you consider that many Wii games are designed to be enjoyed by multiple players and each separately sold Wii remote will cost buyers $39.99 plus another $19.99 for the nunchuk attachment. Add in a classic controller or two and all of a sudden we're well beyond the $300 price point – just so that mom and dad can play Wario Ware.

great perspective, i'd have to agree.

I agree. It doesn't change my excitement for the system or the fact that I'm getting it on launch day, but I do agree when you look at it from a business perspective. If they were REALLY going after the casual or non-gamer market, the system and controllers would be cheaper. That's why I have never believed that statement. I can see non-gamers saying, "Oh, this looks neat...but $60 total for a new controller? I don't like games THAT much."

Meh, if it was $200, people would complain that it didn't include two controllers. If it was $200 and included two controllers, people would still complain that controllers were $60. If controllers were $40, suddenly Nintendo is pulling a MS or Sony with their hardware, which would be stupid.

The mainstream consumer does not have the knowledge we do. If they think it looks fun and it's a "cheap" introduction to the world of gaming, they'll bite. THEN they'll buy more controllers, THEN they'll buy a classic controller, etc, etc. The fact that the cost is amortized across multiple purchases is what people aren't focusing on. That makes a big positive difference when compared to a $400-$600 one-time purchase.

Much like how the $600 360 + HD-DVD does not seem bad to me compared to the $600 PS3, because you can pick and choose what you need at what cost.

[quote name='6669']I dont know how its 3 weeks late. Even with extra controllers, it still beats the PS3 pricewise.[/quote]Because people built themselves up to think it would be $200 and released in October and now it's too expensive and too late.

The only thing I agree with is the expensive controllers. I'm going to spend $60 for another player then $40 for 2 VC controllers. So $100 more just for controllers.

Very stupid argument. So both Xbox 360 and PS3 are out of the mainstream because of the price? They certainly don't say that. $250 is a great price considering the prices of the other consoles. The consumers are not going to know shit about how much the extra controllers cost, they will just buy the system a game or two to start. I'm not sure what the hell the problem is with the release date. It's two days after PS3, OMG NINTENDO IS TEH DEDZORS!!!1

[quote name='SMMM']so what you guys are saying is that it should be $150 and have N64 graphics. great.[/QUOTE]

How'd you get $150? $50 too much would mean that Matt C. is saying the system should've been $200.:whistle2:k

I agree with the article though. The system being $250 isn't bad but it's not what I expected. I could've had a Wii plus 2 games for $300 (w/o tax) but now I can only get one game. But it's not that big a deal.

He's definitely right about the controllers. Whereas most 360/PS3 games are only multiplayer online, most Wii games (early ones anyway) look to be multiplayer offline.

So a Wii + 3x Wiimote + 3x Nunchucks = $430 if you want 4 player multiplayer in a household.

The controllers are way overpriced and the idea to sell them sperately is fine but they could've sold both together as well and maybe give the consumer a little break. It's not like Nintendo's losing a ton of money on hardware or anything.

[quote name='botticus']Because people built themselves up to think it would be $200 and released in October and now it's too expensive and too late.[/QUOTE]I don't see how people expected Nintendo to come out and say "we'll release it next week for dirtcheap." People were bitching about Sony making the Spring launch because they hadn't announced launch plans by January (sure it was delayed, but Nintendo only gave two months notice on the Wii, more than was allowed for Sony at the time)

Nintendo will see how mainstream their console is when it's only able to be played in video game stores and not a Wal-Mart, if that's really the case. I've yet to talk to many people who actually know what it is compared to a PS3 or 360, and not confuse the name with weed.

dont like the price --- too bad there are 100s of other people who will be more then happy to buy the system you will past buy

i was thinking about getting one but right now im probally going to past.

250 for system
30 for memory card
50 for dragon warrior game

330 bucks for a system with one game is Too high for me when there are tons of great games coming on the DS and Ps2

the only way i will run out and buy it first day if they had at least 5 classic RPG games to download (earthbound being one)

[quote name='SMMM']so what you guys are saying is that it should be $150 and have N64 graphics. great.[/quote]Some of the games do have N64 graphics. Have you seen Wii Sports?

it is overpriced for a souped up cube, but i still want/will get one on launch. I hope they don't drop the ball with the 3rd party excitement over the system

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Some of the games do have N64 graphics. Have you seen Wii Sports?[/quote]

Yes, some of them do, but the system is clearly capable of much more. The games that don't have stunning graphics are meant to appeal to people on a different level -- The simplistic graphics tell non-gamers that the game is simple enough for them to pick up and play.

I have pretty much made my peace with the price. I've known all along that I'm going to pay whatever they want me to pay, but I still think that at a $250 price point, it should have cd/dvd playback, even if there aren't many situations in which I'd use it. I'd rather it be $200, I'd rather it be in my hands now, but I don't think the $50 difference is going to lose them any business. At this point, what I really want from them is to announce Wii Play as a US launch title.

see I can pick paragraphs that prove my point too

"In truth, I think Wii is going to perform phenomenally this holiday. I also believe that it has a solid chance of surprising everybody and gaining much more market share than anticipated, particularly in Japan. Unlike GameCube, I think Wii has a chance for the number one spot. "

[quote name='Vinny']How'd you get $150? $50 too much would mean that Matt C. is saying the system should've been $200.:whistle2:k

[/QUOTE]

I wasn't referring to Matt as much as the people that were expecting it to be $150 and launching next week since it was just a "suped-up cube".

And the N64 could NOT have pulled off Wii Sports. It's simple, but it's smooth and looks sharp as hell.

Matt C being one of the biggest Nintendo fanboys this side of the net saying something like that is surprising. I want a Wii, but if all that is worth buying (THIS YEAR) is Zelda TTP then I think I might wait.

I think he's three weeks too late to make much of a point. This has already been discussed to death, now it's just somebody more popular saying it.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I think he's three weeks too late to make much of a point. This has already been discussed to death, now it's just somebody more popular saying it.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but that doesnt mean its not true. :D

Irrelevant. The system will still sell phenominally and beat out the PS3 by sheer fact that the amount of Wii units is so much greater than PS3. As for how it stacks up against the 360, I'm still betting on the Wii due to the amount of press it's been getting in the mainstream media these past several months. And for some reason, I don't hear many CAGers waiting to pick up a 360 this holiday season.

So why should Nintendo rush their launch and thus face potential shortages that piss off customers?

[quote name='rodeojones903']Yes, but that doesnt mean its not true. :D[/quote]
It's up to what each person feels the system is worth to them. If it's not worth $250, then you're probably not going to buy it. If it is worth it, you will buy it.

[quote name='Ecofreak']Irrelevant. The system will still sell phenominally and beat out the PS3 by sheer fact that the amount of Wii units is so much greater than PS3. As for how it stacks up against the 360, I'm still betting on the Wii due to the amount of press it's been getting in the mainstream media these past several months. And for some reason, I don't hear many CAGers waiting to pick up a 360 this holiday season.

So why should Nintendo rush their launch and thus face potential shortages that piss off customers?[/quote]

Sorta funny how you think someone who is willing to buy a PS3 will jump on a Wii just because the PS3 is out of stock, when in reality it would seem that the XBOX 360 would be the scond choice or maybe a wii60.

Then again, any1 willing to buy a PS3 for 500/600 is prob not willing to jumo boats.

[quote name='botticus']Meh, if it was $200, people would complain that it didn't include two controllers. If it was $200 and included two controllers, people would still complain that controllers were $60. If controllers were $40, suddenly Nintendo is pulling a MS or Sony with their hardware, which would be stupid.

The mainstream consumer does not have the knowledge we do. If they think it looks fun and it's a "cheap" introduction to the world of gaming, they'll bite. THEN they'll buy more controllers, THEN they'll buy a classic controller, etc, etc. The fact that the cost is amortized across multiple purchases is what people aren't focusing on. That makes a big positive difference when compared to a $400-$600 one-time purchase.

Much like how the $600 360 + HD-DVD does not seem bad to me compared to the $600 PS3, because you can pick and choose what you need at what cost.[/quote]

[quote name='Ecofreak']Irrelevant. The system will still sell phenominally and beat out the PS3 by sheer fact that the amount of Wii units is so much greater than PS3. As for how it stacks up against the 360, I'm still betting on the Wii due to the amount of press it's been getting in the mainstream media these past several months. And for some reason, I don't hear many CAGers waiting to pick up a 360 this holiday season.

So why should Nintendo rush their launch and thus face potential shortages that piss off customers?[/quote]

Q to the F to the Tizzle. On both counts.

Well said, guys.

[quote name='guessed']Yes, some of them do, but the system is clearly capable of much more. The games that don't have stunning graphics are meant to appeal to people on a different level -- The simplistic graphics tell non-gamers that the game is simple enough for them to pick up and play.
[/quote]
I've never seen people WATCH a game and then think "This game is too complicated for me!". However, I have seen people who see a game and say "That game looks crappy (as in the graphics), I'm not buying that."

$250 is too much for a system with inferior technology, that doesn't even play DVD's (a lot of people use their PS2/Xbox/Xbox360 as a DVD player, and look at it as a game system/DVD player). It's only $50 less than an Xbox 360, which, and I'm sure Nintendo fanboys will debate me on this one, is much more powerful than the Wii. But that vaunted "innovation" and Nintendo's marketing-ploy-within a-marketing ploy of "bringing gaming back to the masses" is gonna make those Wii's fly off the shelves though, right?

[quote name='help1']
Then again, any1 willing to buy a PS3 for 500/600 is prob not willing to jumo boats.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. The Wii could be launched a bit earlier, but it shouldn't be a concern in terms of who gets bragging rights for the holiday season. All three of them will come up with some ridiculous statistic for how their console is the fastest selling in history, but in reality, the launch is for the hardcore anyway. The only item I'm concerned with is the controller being as expensive as it is, and although it probably costs as much or more than the others to manufacture, it still goes against the grain of Nintendo's claims that the console experience is for everyone. Sorry, no way I'm dropping $200 on additional controllers, at least not for awhile.

I still don't believe the majority of consumers left empty-handed at PS3's launch are going to buy a Wii, which is why I think the launch date of the Wii is ridiculous.

If their plan is to re-capture market share in the U.S. launching 2 days after the PS3 isn't the way to do it. Those people who want a PS3 are going to get one eventually, and even if they do end up buying a Wii, it's probably even more likely they'll end up buying a PS3 too.

All consumer tendencies aside, the Wii's long-term success is going to rely on word of mouth and their launch success will depend on media coverage. Come Nov. 17th and 19th we'll see if it's PS3 or Wii that gets the coverage. My guess is PS3, but you never know.

Okay, I'll bite.
[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I've never seen people WATCH a game and then think "This game is too complicated for me!". However, I have seen people who see a game and say "That game looks crappy (as in the graphics), I'm not buying that."[/quote]Seriously, you haven't? And yes, people do say that. And if Wii Sports was full of jaggies and blurry images and whatnot, people would say it looks crappy. Wii Sports does not look crappy, it looks simple. If you judge all graphics by realism and polygon counts, you must not watch hand-drawn cartoons because they aren't 3D, eh? I also hear Okami is a really shitty-looking game because even the PS2 can render it.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla'] $250 is too much for a system with inferior technology, that doesn't even play DVD's (a lot of people use their PS2/Xbox/Xbox360 as a DVD player, and look at it as a game system/DVD player). It's only $50 less than an Xbox 360, which, and I'm sure Nintendo fanboys will debate me on this one, is much more powerful than the Wii. But that vaunted "innovation" and Nintendo's marketing-ploy-within a-marketing ploy of "bringing gaming back to the masses" is gonna make those Wii's fly off the shelves though, right?[/quote]Yes, the 360 is more powerful than the Wii. No argument. What's your point? Buying the Wii means I can play different games cheaper than I can play different games on the 360. What are the differences? Well, Wii games look slightly better than last gen, but they control very differently. 360 games look a lot better than last gen, but they play exactly the same way. There is nothing FUNCTIONALLY that can be done on the 360 that cannot have been done on the Xbox. I will buy a 360, but to me it holds no more value than the Wii. For that reason, I am waiting till I can snag a 360 for around $200 or so.

And as far as the masses go, they don't use a PS2 or Xbox as a DVD player. They don't have an Xbox or a PS2. They have a DVD player that they use to play DVDs. Or they don't have a DVD player, and 6 years after DVDs became standard, I guess that means they don't care about DVDs.

But thanks for letting us argue these same points again two weeks later.

I think it will still be worth the price tag, but I have to wonder where a lot of that money is going towards. If the 360 can launch for only $50 more (a year ago, mind you) and Sony can launch at the same time for $250 more (with a blu-ray player), I really don't see why the Wii has to be $250. Of course, this is because of the fact that the Wii is making a profit on each system while 360 and PS3 aren't.

I still think its worth $250, but I also think it is overpriced if you look at the hardware objectively.

I agree too, only about the price though, it should have been 200$ with 2 wiimotes and 1 classic controller and wii sports.

Here's my take on the $50 and 3 weeks andToo late

While I doubt the Wii will be a flop I can with a firm certainty say It won't outsell anything in the long run worldwide. We can say what if this? and what if that? but when Nintendo throws up it's arms and proclaims they aren't competing with the big 2, what can they expect but a eroding loyal fan base and last place?

I just honestly cant see them gaining some if any more of the console pie chart without the bigger exclusives and razzle dazle that the MASS buyer expects and consistently is provided by Sony and MS. You can't honestly expect the devs to jump ship from the 1st place game company to fully support the Wii? Even MS is becoming something more then a Halo box with it's A+ online support(DL content and demos,gameplay,etc) and finally grabbing new exclusives and or blocking Sony exclusives. It's a rough sea ahead for Nintendo but they have to perform on a regular basis unlike the Gamecube. Wii can't afford to have 2 A+ titles a year and 1/3rd the released games of its competitors. Nintendo has said "quality over quantity" in the past and that has unfourtantly be proven wrong. But IT IS NOT TOO LATE.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I think he's three weeks too late to make much of a point. This has already been discussed to death, now it's just somebody more popular saying it.[/quote]

Agreed.

The problem here is that we have seen the video game prices soar up, for 50 dollars MSRP's to 60 dollars and console prices going from 300 to 400 and above and really we have just adjusted. Because of this perspective, the Wii price looks fantastic, but in reality, its just unfitting.

The gamecube launched at 200 in 2001, and the Wii is launching with a 250 dollar price tag, 50 dollars more in 2006. Now because of the new prices of consoles, this looks like chump change, but really, for something thats just a little bit more powerful than a Gamecube, the price is way too much. We all know how the prices on making electronics plumet faster than fatwalleter's on hoardable deals, and you wii guys are trying to tell me, that the prices of making a gamecube haven't dropped 50 or more dollars in these 5 years!?

And dont talk about how motion sensors and Wii sports add to the price, becasue printing a game costs 5 cents and the motion sensing technology has been out for years and as I said, the longer something have been out, the more and more the production price goes down.

Now don't get me wrong, the Wii might be fun (I havn't played it, but it seems liek 1000's of you have...) and I have NO problem with Nintendo making money off their consoles, but how much are they really making off each console?

$250 system
$180 3 controllers
$50 game
$30 memory card
$25.50 5% tax

$535.50

Just taking prices from what other people on this page said, so excuse me if something is wrong. Even without the extra controllers your still looking at over 350 for one game and a memory card, doesn't sound nearly as nice, throw in some downloads and it would be easy to match what someone buying a core PS3 and a game would cost for what exactly, few controllers and slightly better graphics than a GC but without ps3's next gen bells and whistles.

You dont need a memory card, you've got enough of that onboard flash to handle probably all the saves you could ever save. Also it comes with a really good/fun game that has lots of replayability.

True, but nobody is going to buy a system on day 1 and not buy a game, it would be un-American and there's plenty of good games on launch day to warrant at least one purchase. My point is that if you really get into it with Nintendo and your big argument is price for why nintendo gets the edge that when you look at it your saving little overall and not getting an hd-dvd and all that technical stuff that confuse me. If i spent that 535 what would i have to show for it, a slighty newer system with one game and 4 controllers, eh nothing really exciting, if it were 350 for all that I would say your on to something but wow over 500 for a rabid nintendo fanboy, stick with the portables that's what i say, i get more pleasure from my GBA, psp, and ds then all my system combined but that's just me.

[quote name='botticus']Meh, if it was $200, people would complain that it didn't include two controllers. If it was $200 and included two controllers, people would still complain that controllers were $60. If controllers were $40, suddenly Nintendo is pulling a MS or Sony with their hardware, which would be stupid.

Much like how the $600 360 + HD-DVD does not seem bad to me compared to the $600 PS3, because you can pick and choose what you need at what cost.[/quote]

This pretty much summed it up for me.

I definitely think it's $50 too much and 3 weeks late. That $50 might be a deal-breaker for me for at least this holiday. The only game that looks good to me that will be out at launch is Zelda so I don't even think I'll be missing much...

Its a good thing market price isnt determined by the amount of fun had rather than clock cycles.

It would be the Wii that would be $600 and the PS3 at $250

I like how some people have been complaining about having to buy 3 more controllers when they also say only Zelda is on thier to-buy list.

Controllers should NEVER cost more then games if you ask me. With that being said, I'm still getting a Wii. It's not as if I have to rush out and buy 3 more controllers on the release date.

It's true that the bottom line for personal choice is simply if it's worth the money to you buy it. His statements are not telling you how to make your decisions.

He's just merely stating that given the objective of the Wii, it is $50 too high and 3 months too late. You people are comparing it the high cost of the 360 and the PS3 but that's not what he's talking about. The goal is to get people who would never consider buying a console to pick one up, and ultimately cost is a big deal for the casual gamer.

The Wii is has great potential to be a social console but there is no doubt that u'll have to pay a good amount for it at the price points given now. And considering the hardware costs, Nintendo is definetly passing more of the cost onto users as the other 2 consoles. So from a technical standpoint the Wii is not as good a "deal" as the other 2. But ultimately that's not all gaming is about.

Some of you people are wayto friggin cheap. Its $50, $50 freaking dollars. In 1 hours time you can move crap from GameRush/K-mart over and make that amount.

No DVD...who gives a shit. If you don't have a DVD player by now you really shouldn't even considering buying a next-gen consoles, nor evem a current gen.

The same people bitch in every thread. The same people who apparently have great high paying jobs bitch about $50 making or breaking the purchase of the system. In reality, I couldn;t give a shit because it just means more out there for the people who actually want to enjoy the Wii and not expect it to make me a sandwhich and give me a backrub. Thats what mywife is for!

I have to agree $250 is too much, the technology is nothing new. the wii mote is a gimmick, for 49 dollars more I can get an xbox 360!

[quote name='Michaellvortega']Matt C being one of the biggest Nintendo fanboys this side of the net saying something like that is surprising. I want a Wii, but if all that is worth buying (THIS YEAR) is Zelda TTP then I think I might wait.[/QUOTE]

I still see Zelda as a much better title then Call of Duty 2 or whatever ends up being the best PS3 title.

bread's done
Back