Official CAG folding team! We're Back, new contest starting soon!

stealth1290

CAGiversary!
Since I know some CAGers out there have tons of computers running wicked speeds, why not start a folding team? I bring you the official Cheap Ass Gamer folding team #53337
After the first two months of the folding team running I will (out of my own pocket) be supplying prizes to the top folder, and the folder that excels the fastest. so what are you waiting for FOLD!

*UPDATE* (09/01/11) Wow, it's been 4 years since we've really hammered out some proteins, so I think it's time we got rolling again! Thinking about running another contest, who's interested? Lemme know by posting in this thread!
*UPDATE* (02/14/07) THE CONTEST IS OVER!!!! The top folder is.... PhrostByte... and the random draw is CSideGamer
PM me for your prizes, next contest will be a random draw after we get 15 active folders.
*UPDATE* (2/07/07)
This is the final week you have to complete one WU to be entered so hurry!
*UPDATE!* (1/2/07)
First, Happy New Year.
second, If you can beat Csidegamer to the number 1 spot instead of giving away a 20dollar prize... I'll double it and give away a 40dollar prize! plus I believe there is some sort of TRU prize included in the random drawing so GET FOLDING! remember contest ends when we have 10 active folders.

*UPDATE!* (12/21/06)
OK, just a little update here. The Prize to the Top folder will be your pick of any DVD on amazon,(This means if you live outside the U.S. you can still win!). Also I will be picking a name out of a hat, any folder who has completed one WU is eligible for this prize which will be you pick of.... Well I'm not sure why don't you tell me what the second prize should be (keep it reasonable I'm not rich)
So GET FOLDING!
P.S. Happy holidays to all the CAGers out there be safe!

Still not sure what folding is? here's a FAQ about folding:
Folding @ Home - What is it?:
Folding@Home is a distributed computing project which studies protein folding, misfolding, aggregation, and related diseases. We use novel computational methods and large scale distributed computing, to simulate timescales thousands to millions of times longer than previously achieved. This has allowed us to simulate folding for the first time, and to now direct our approach to examine folding related disease.

How do I get started?:
First, you'll need to download a client for your particular taste / operating system.
If you want to become a part of Team [CAG], be sure to enter 53337 as your team selection during install/config.

General Options:
Ensure you're configured to pull Folding@Home units (Configure -> Advanced -> Client type : Folding@home)

Add "-advmethods" (minus apostrophe's) to the end of your executable (i.e. shortcut will look like this: "C:\blah blah blah\folding@home\winFAH.exe" -advmethods). This will ensure the fahcore_xx.exe files are up-to-date and that you request new work units as they are introduced.

Add "-forceasm" - Forces the core to use SSE/3DNow assembly instructions (i.e. optimized) when possible, even if it has previously made the determination that the machine may not be handling this well.

Add "-forceSSE" - On machines with an AMD processor, Core_78 gives priority to 3DNow over SSE - this basically overrides that. SSE is faster but may not be 100% stable, though the new core appears to have finally resolved that. "ForceSSE" has no meaning on an Intel machine as they use SSE instructions by default. (Removed in the 5.00 and newer clients)

"-config" - Allows user to change their configuration information again. You will be prompted with the same series of questions as when you first installed the console client.

"-oneunit" - Forces the client to quit following the completion of one work unit.

"-queueinfo" - Diplays information on the currently queued work unit. Displayes the status (READY/FINISHED/EMPTY), unit type (Folding/Genome), originating server, and date when the unit was received (local time in GMT), as well as the deadline for the unit.

"-local" - Forces client to use configuration file from the local directory it was launched from; Vital if you're running multiple instances on one machine.

Console users:
If you ever have to reconfigure the clients, simply just rerun the folding executable with the -config option.
If you prefer more information from the client as it processes, add -verbosity x, where X ranges from 1 to 9 (default of 3). Increase this number for more information to be displayed as the work unit is processed.

Multi Processor:
For those running on dual or higher CPU systems or using HyperThreading, there's a little more work to get each process working properly. Although not as graphical, I think it's best to run two instances of the Console over 1 GUI and 1 console. You'll basically have to have a seperate directory for each instance you want to run (f@h1, f@h2, etc. - whatever you want to call the folders)

As you run the config for each instance, be sure to increase the Machine ID by one so that each will run seperately. This can be changed at a later time, if needed, by editing the client.cfg file.

Add the "-local" command to the end of your shorcut. This ensures that the client.cfg file will be loaded from the directory the executable is being run from, not where the registry (i.e. GUI was installed) points to.

Example batch file:
e:\f@h1\bindcpu.exe 1 fah.exe -local -advmethods
The above binds the instance to CPU 0 (which has a Mask of 1).

Download BindCPU - an applicaiton that will allow you to set Affinity (CPU #) to each instance of F@H you're running.

If you want to set Affinity manually, run your first instance of the console client. Go into the Processes tab of Task Manager and look for the FahCore_xx.exe entry. Right click on it and choose Set Affinity and bind it to CPU 0. Launch your next instance of the console client and repeat, except on the new FahCore_xx.exe file, bind it to CPU 1. Repeat this for however many processors are present in the machine.

Unit Types and Cores:
"To tell which type of unit you are running, you can simply look at your log file. When the client first starts the core, you'll find one of the following strings somewhere. "Gromacs Core" means it's a Gromacs unit. "Protein Design Core" is a Genome unit. Tinker simply says "Folding@Home Client Core" and then, farther down, "TINKER: Software Tools for Molecular Design".

If you look at the currently running processes under WinNT/2K/XP (in Task Manager) or Linux, you'll find one of these cores running (the most current version number is also listed):
*FAHCore_65.exe - Tinker - Version 2.50
*FAHCore_78.exe - Gromacs - Version 1.55 or 1.56
*FAHCore_79.exe - Gromacs - Same as FAHCore_78 but uses greater precision on calculations (uses doubles instead of floats)
*FAHCore_ca.exe - Genome - Version 2.06"

Questions/Issues:
Common client errors
Having issues with the client or a particular bug you'd like to report? Hit the forums!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds interesting... though I've never heard of protein folding. Count me in, IN THE NAME OF SCIENCE!

I'm working on some interesting prizes will update later tonight early tommorw.

I'm also working on a forum sig with folding stats (in case your interested)

Glad to see some interest. FYI you can track our stats through Here
right now it's empty but as people start to complete Work Units the stats will be updated.

p.s. I made a CAG folding userbar, it was just a quicky if anybody else wants to take a shot go for it!

2jd4z5s.jpg

Wow... so all the protein folding kinetics that I learned in classes are not wasted after all. Now I can contribute to folding them!

[quote name='Aberforth']so this is like protein origami right? ah ha ha ha ha ha ... ahhh.... :roll:[/quote]
yes, well... replace the from with a protien molecule:)

basicly you leave the program running on your desktop, set to our team (53337) and you cure cancer.... stop laughing, I'm serious!

He is serious. F@H has made tremendous breakthroughs in medical research, most famously in Alzheimer's research. Basically, by spreading out the super intensive computer requirements from 10 super computers to 100,000 common desktops, the processing power goes up tremendously.

Anyway, it took some doing, but I got it to work on my system. I'm working on my first WU now, and I'm in the team :D

[quote name='Logain8955']He is serious. F@H has made tremendous breakthroughs in medical research, most famously in Alzheimer's research. Basically, by spreading out the super intensive computer requirements from 10 super computers to 100,000 common desktops, the processing power goes up tremendously.

Anyway, it took some doing, but I got it to work on my system. I'm working on my first WU now, and I'm in the team :D[/quote]

happy to hear it WELCOME ABOARD!

Oh, it's one of those things. Yeah, I heard about that... as long as it doesn't eat up too much bandwidth, I might do it since I help cure diseases and stand to get a free prize.:p

But two questions since I'm too lazy to learn and then find out I don't want to do this:
1. How much strain does this put on my internet connection? My ISP doesn't like anything uploading consistently for any period of time (like Bittorrents).
2. Can I turn it off whenever I want?

Otherwise, I'll give it a go as my computer is usually under 10% usage.

[quote name='Vinny']Oh, it's one of those things. Yeah, I heard about that... as long as it doesn't eat up too much bandwidth, I might do it since I help cure diseases and stand to get a free prize.:p

But two questions since I'm too lazy to learn and then find out I don't want to do this:
1. How much strain does this put on my internet connection? My ISP doesn't like anything uploading consistently for any period of time (like Bittorrents).
2. Can I turn it off whenever I want?

Otherwise, I'll give it a go as my computer is usually under 10% usage.[/QUOTE]

1. F@H doesn't use your internet connection much at all. It's mostly burst stuff. Download a Work Unit, work on it for a couple of hours, upload it back.

2. Yes. It can also be run behind most stuff. I've found I can do most things in World of Warcraft with it running just fine. (Can't PvP or Raid with it though.)

[quote name='Logain8955']1. F@H doesn't use your internet connection much at all. It's mostly burst stuff. Download a Work Unit, work on it for a couple of hours, upload it back.

2. Yes. It can also be run behind most stuff. I've found I can do most things in World of Warcraft with it running just fine. (Can't PvP or Raid with it though.)[/quote]
and some games don't like it running at all, the window won't stay open etc.. in those cases quit F@H and just re-start it after you play.

I assume finished work units don't transfer between teams? I'm number 9 now on Macaddict's team (Team 18). And #3589 overall. I might switch over, although I'd have to switch over all my computers which would take a while :whistle2:(

[quote name='Wolfpup']I assume finished work units don't transfer between teams? I'm number 9 now on Macaddict's team (Team 18). And #3589 overall. I might switch over, although I'd have to switch over all my computers which would take a while :whistle2:([/quote]

again I remind you, PRIZES to the top folder (after two months) yeah, WUs don't transfer over, and Prob. end of the day Tuesday the first WUs will be finished and the stats will reflect the actual team size.

OK, just a little update here. The Prize to the Top folder will be your pick of any DVD on amazon,(This means if you live outside the U.S. you can still win!). Also I will be picking a name out of a hat, any folder who has completed one WU is eligible for this prize which will be you pick of.... Well I'm not sure why don't you tell me what the second prize should be (keep it reasonable I'm not rich)
So GET FOLDING!

Hmmm, if I can get it to work on my PC again, I'll join. I tried eariler but I gave up. My PC is wasting it's CPU most of the time so this will put it to good use.

Am I the only one running on multiple machines?

Also, what is the official end date of the contest?

I can kick in a TRU game for a prize if interested.

We need more folders!

I just recently got a few more computers running under me, but currently yes

and to your second question, OF COURSE the more prizes the more people that will FOLD!!! official end date is as soon as we get 10 active folders, that means you get a 1/10 chance of winning the draw prize. and hell if you can beat cside, with his huge lead I'll double the prize to a 40dollar amazon gift card... or 40 dollar w/e you want (I want to keep it open ended)

im not sure what im doing but i downloaded the thing and its goa pic of balls all bunched together. Is that all I need to do really, just keep it running? it says WU end Sat 23 Feb 08, I think I may have a problem.

You're doing fine, Death. When it starts a new WU, the time to completion will be funky, cause the program isnt sure exactly how long each frame is taking.

[quote name='csidegamer']I'm running on 4 currently.

May have to fire up a couple more to keep my lead. :D[/quote]
and keep me from giving away 40 hard earned dollars :D

[quote name='csidegamer']Come on people.

It's lonely at the top. :D[/quote]

What kind of PC's do you have running?

I'm working on a sig graphic that will have the team stats.

I'll post link when ready.

EDIT: Damn PHP skills are very rusty. Hopefully will be done today.

[quote name='csidegamer']I'm working on a sig graphic that will have the team stats.

I'll post link when ready.[/quote]
awesome, thanks!

It's always a good thing to see more people folding. I unfortunately won't be able to help you guys, since I fold for the HardOCP's folding team.

just downloaded the program, my computer usually sits on anyways, might as well have it do something while it is on

[quote name='arbiter']Yay, I was just wondering if CAG had a team yet.

I'm in. New Pentium D needs a workout![/QUOTE]

With the Pentium D you can run two copies at once since you've got two CPUs. Let us know if you need to know how to configure the command line version. You'll basically be setting up two separate copies of it (I've got mine in folders named "folding1" and "folding2").

It's sad, but my favorite thing about having multiple CPUs is being able to run multiple copies of Folding at Home :D I'd love a quad core...

Hey I used to do this but I wiped my HDD and forgot about it but I will start up under CAG.

Hopefully I can catch up because I have two PC's with Dual Core 3.4Ghz Processers one of which is always on so I can have 4 differnt ones running at once.

bread's done
Back