1 million Wii units at launch in North America

Plinko

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
"We’re hoping if you’re already an Xbox 360 owner and you want a new experience, that you’ll pick up a Wii this Christmas or maybe next year. If you’ve never played before, we think that this may get you hooked on video games. We’re looking at a million (units) for North America at launch. When Sony came out (with their PS3 announcement), they said 300,000. If we get what we’re supposed to get, this will be our most plentiful launch in the 15 years I’ve been at Nintendo. All signs are actually extremely positive.”

- Ron Bertram, Nintendo of Canada’s vice-president and general manager

That is a huge positive for Nintendo this holiday season.

Yes. If they release 1 million I hope I don't have a problem finding one Sunday morning. I will most likely pre order since I don't want to be disappointed like I was when the 360 launched.

Only 1 million at launch? For some reason I was under the impression that there may be more than that... Between the U.S. and Canada this thing might actually be tough to find in some of the bigger cities.

Sounds like a solid number million on day one and then their will probably be more shipments every week or so.

[quote name='Scobie']Only 1 million at launch? For some reason I was under the impression that there may be more than that... Between the U.S. and Canada this thing might actually be tough to find in some of the bigger cities.[/quote] Well, it was like 4 million worldwide by the end of the year, so this sounds about right.

Expect another million or two units in NA between launch and Christmas, assuming their production is on schedule.

A million is supposdly what the DS launched with. The big question is what will replenishment shipments look like. It is a fairly healthy day 1 though.

1 million is much better than 400,000 units.

4 million units worldwide (and this time really worldwide) by the end of the real year is better than 1.3 million.

I feel much safer camping out now. At first, I almost thought I wouldn't be able to get one. Now I should be able to set up in the Wal-Mart electronics department around 6 p.m. and walk out at midnight with everything I need.

[quote name='PawnTakesKing']I feel much safer camping out now. At first, I almost thought I wouldn't be able to get one. Now I should be able to set up in the Wal-Mart electronics department around 6 p.m. and walk out at midnight with everything I need.[/quote]

why not just preorder somewhere? Or is there not going to be preorders?

[quote name='chodax']why not just preorder somewhere? Or is there not going to be preorders?[/QUOTE]
I'm planning on doing both. Preorder already in at FYE, and hopefully at TRU, and wait out at WalMart that night. The Preorders are backups in case I can't get one at WalMart. That's the beauty of preorders, if I do get one at Walmart, I can just get my preorder money back from the stores, or pick up the extra ones in case friends and/or CAGs can't get a system around them for whatever reason.

Didnt the PSP launch with 1 million units? If thats any indication, Wii's are going to be everywhere when it launches. Good news.

Yes, but the PSP wasn't nearly, I think, as anticipated, and universally appealing as the Wii currently is. In all sincerity, the PSP, by itself, was the same price as the Wii is going to be, with a game. There's a huge difference between a highly-anticipated home console, and an equally-priced handheld, which may seem overwhelming to the Everyman buyer. Just a thought.

Who's The Twitch Now?;2221049 said:
Yes, but the PSP wasn't nearly, I think, as anticipated, and universally appealing as the Wii currently is. In all sincerity, the PSP, by itself, was the same price as the Wii is going to be, with a game. There's a huge difference between a highly-anticipated home console, and an equally-priced handheld, which may seem overwhelming to the Everyman buyer. Just a thought.

I don't know, man. When the PSP launched, it had a huge buzz around it and had some really great games. Plus, it was still riding the high that was the PS2.

I still don't think the average person knows anything about the Wii. Nintendo is really going to have to start a massive advertising campaign or there might be more units sitting on the shelf on day one than you think.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']I don't know, man. When the PSP launched, it had a huge buzz around it and had some really great games. Plus, it was still riding the high that was the PS2.

I still don't think the average person knows anything about the Wii. Nintendo is really going to have to start a massive advertising campaign or there might be more units sitting on the shelf on day one than you think.[/QUOTE]

A definite point. Still, neither the DS nor the PSP had a very stellar launch (or, at least, had fully met its potential). Though, I stand by the belief that the average casual gamer would not invest $250 dollars in a handheld, especially with all the heat it was getting from the critical press around its launch. A few good games that were 50 bucks a piece, "Universal" movies that could only be played on the PSP, more costly than their DVD counterparts, and the highly disliked battery life. Stuff like that.

The Wii is different, in that it is at least trying to offer an All-In-One (sans DVD function, but I don't find that to be a problem, for reasons repeatedly stated in other threads), user-friendly novelty for far less than the nearest 2 options. Even if, as you said, the marketing hasn't peaked universal interest, Nintendo knows that they will succeed, even if the console is - gasp - "readily available" at launch.

[quote name='Nibi']Great news, hopefully it will keep those who are looking to sell for a profit on ebay away.[/QUOTE]
A million units on launch day menas getting on on that Sunday won't be a problem, but as we creep closer to Christmas, and Nintendo really only have 4 million units WORLDWIDE by Dec. 31, I think they'll be scarce. Not condoning hoarding, etc., but I don't think Wiis will be stacked up all over the place. By the middle of December, especially with the PS3 in as low a supply as its supposed to be.

Should be able to find one in the first week if you're willing to check a few places. Rock on.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']I don't know, man. When the PSP launched, it had a huge buzz around it and had some really great games. Plus, it was still riding the high that was the PS2.

I still don't think the average person knows anything about the Wii. Nintendo is really going to have to start a massive advertising campaign or there might be more units sitting on the shelf on day one than you think.[/quote]

DING DING DING!

1 million is more than enough. I have asked people who are casual gamers about the 360, the ps3 and the wii, and alot have asked me waht the hell the Wii was or if I said Weed... I wounder if they are buying the system?

[quote name='David85']1 million is much better than 400,000 units.

4 million units worldwide (and this time really worldwide) by the end of the real year is better than 1.3 million.[/quote] I think they actually dropped units amount to 300,000(PS3 I'm talking about) I saw somewhere I forgot. Probably gamespot.com though.

[quote name='Bazz']I think they actually dropped units amount to 300,000(PS3 I'm talking about) I saw somewhere I forgot. Probably gamespot.com though.[/quote]
I'm fairly certain 400,000 is their worldwide number. Which is, of course, only NA and Japan. So the 300,000 is likely the most accurate number for NA launch.

[quote name='chodax']why not just preorder somewhere? Or is there not going to be preorders?[/QUOTE]

No one around me is taking preorders...yet. But I prefer the camping experience. Having several of your friends with you with a case of Mountain Dew and some DS systems makes the time fly by, and it's just a lot of fun.

sadly, I've never had the store camping experience. Mostly because I never could afford a console at launch. My cousin waited in the subzero weather last year to get a 360 (not at launch but a weekly shipment), he was the talk of the family x-mass party. I'd like to be able to camp, but 1) november is chilly and 2) the only friends that would be intrested in joining me now live out of town.

Baloras

MORE than a million available at launch?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6158589.html
[UPDATE] Nintendo of America has responded to various reports claiming that Bertram's figures were fact. Apparently, the final tally for Wiis designated for the North American launch may be even greater than a million, according to a cryptic statement from the company.

Says Nintendo: "A number of outlets have reported a misstatement about the number of Wii consoles that will be available in the Americas during the launch rollout. In fact, the truth is even better. After the Americas lead the worldwide launch on Nov. 19, Nintendo expects to sell 4 million Wii consoles globally by the end of 2006, with the largest allotment available in the Americas. Although we expect a huge demand for the consoles, we are working to ensure a plentiful supply and a consistent flow."
That was in response to NoC's statement regarding 1 million available at launch. Either we're going to get more, or they're just telling us it'll be a million at launch and they'll keep on comin'.

This is good to hear if it's actually true. I'm just confused because speaking with a Nintendo vendor this morning, she was trying to dodge any questions about launch numbers. Either she's completely out of the loop, or stoopid or... well, there are other possibilities.

[quote name='guinaevere']This is good to hear if it's actually true. I'm just confused because speaking with a Nintendo vendor this morning, she was trying to dodge any questions about launch numbers. Either she's completely out of the loop, or stoopid or... well, there are other possibilities.[/quote]
NoA is being very evasive about all things Wii, for reasons I cannot fathom. Even after all the info NoJ put out there on the 14th, NoA hardly confirmed anything afterwards outside of the price and date.

[quote name='botticus']NoA is being very evasive about all things Wii, for reasons I cannot fathom. Even after all the info NoJ put out there on the 14th, NoA hardly confirmed anything afterwards outside of the price and date.[/QUOTE]

They haven't even confirmed Wii Play for North America. Japan and Europe did well over a week ago. It's annoying. If we're going to get the Wii Play/Wiimote bundle, I'd get that instead of just a second Wiimote.

I know we all on this particular section of the boards are hyped for the Wii. I truly wonder though if everybody else around the country is as excited and drooling to get a Wii system when they drop on the 19th of November. I think with the 1 million units on day one we'll be good to go and it's not going to be one of those things where people try to kill each other to get one ala the PS2 launch. I saw people fist fighting in wal-mart when a worker put 5 units out in the electronis section... it was insane!

T. Foolery

[quote name='tomfoolery'] I saw people fist fighting in wal-mart when a worker put 5 units out in the electronis section... it was insane!

T. Foolery[/QUOTE]
For fun, I searched Youtube for "walmart fight". There's a ton of mostly play fights on there, but I am not surprised in the least that a lot of videos fall under this category.

bread's done
Back