$1 PSP UMD Movies at Dollar Tree!!!

nietzsche74

CAGiversary!
Not really a DVD, Blu-ray or HD-DVD deal, so I guess I'll be putting it in this forum. Noticed Rent and Starship Troopers at my local store. Didn't look for long since I don't have a PSP.

Anyone know if these are flippable anywhere?

[quote name='buster90']With digital copies everywhere what is the point for this old outdated technology?[/QUOTE]
They don't take up HDD space.

[quote name='LLeopardGGecko']Creature Comforts[/QUOTE]
Oh wow, now that's one I hope to find.

[quote name='ps3gamer35']No clue why people here are buying these, totally obsolete and outdated technology. Digital copies everywhere that you can get for free and put on your Ipad, other tablet, Iphone, etc and watch. All of those you can also hook up to your TV. Come on for being Cheap ass gamers here some of you guys are spending 50 bucks on these thins for no real point.[/QUOTE]

Downloading movies without paying for them is illegal.

[quote name='ps3gamer35']No clue why people here are buying these, totally obsolete and outdated technology. Digital copies everywhere that you can get for free and put on your Ipad, other tablet, Iphone, etc and watch. All of those you can also hook up to your TV. Come on for being Cheap ass gamers here some of you guys are spending 50 bucks on these thins for no real point.[/QUOTE]
I'd rather pay $1 for a movie than $500 for an iPad.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']These in any particular section of the store? I'll probably check out my local one after work.[/QUOTE]

In my store they were by the 'electronics'...meaning extension cords, headphones, cheap (obviously!) iPhone accessories.

[quote name='MR_E']To watch on your psp 2000 or 3000 on the go? The psp systems actually also limit the resolution/quality of digital movies...at least with official firmware...whereas UMD discs are at 480p and can be output to a tv.[/QUOTE]

Also, you physically own the disc.

Exactly. Anyways 1 for 2 today in the final 2 stores in my area. Picked up the Animal and freedom land lol. I'm looking for click, paul blart mall cop and the secret window. If anyone wants to trade let me know. We can ship these to each other with super cheap media mail postage. PM me. Thanx!

Out of 5 Dollar Trees, Heres my complete list of picked up titles in alphabetical order:

1. 7 Seconds
2. Air Force One
3. Anacondas
4. Anger Management
5. Angels & Demons
6. Astro Boy Vol 1
7. Bad Boys
8. Bewitched
9. Boyz n The Hood
10. Charlie's Angels
11. Christmas with the Kranks
12. CrossOver
13. Cruel Intentions
14. Dragon Wars D War
15. Final Fantasy Spirits Within
16. Fired Up
17. Fun with Dick & Jane
18. Godzilla
19. The Gospel
20. Gridiron Gang
21. Guess Who
22. Hancock
23. Higher Learning
24. Hollow Man
25. House of Flying Daggers
26. The International
27. Labyrinth
28. Lakeview Terrace
29. L4yer Cake
30. Legend of Zorro
31. Little Man
32. Lords of Dogtown
33. Monty Python Holy Grail
34. National Security
35. Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist
36. Pest, The
37. Pelham 1-2-3, The Taking of
38. Rent
39. Saving Silverman
40. Spiderman: Animated Series Vol 1
41. Spiderman
42. Spiderman 3
43. Starship Troopers 3
44. Stealth
45. Steamboy
46. Stripes
47. Sweetest Thing, The
48. To Die For
49. Walk Hard: Dewey Cox Story
50. Year One

Picked up today:
51. Freedom Land
52. The Animal

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI. Don't get discouraged if you don't see them yet. Sources in stores that haven't gotten them yet here tell me they're just rolling them out now and by next week mostly all stores should have them. Guess $1 is the sweet spot selling point lol. My guess is that Dollar Tree bought the remaining gamestop stock of umd movies prob for like 25-50cents each and is selling them for $1 buck. Check out this shot of a Charlie's Angels at a Dollar Tree.

1343257337.jpg

[quote name='BlizzardCyclone']FYI. Don't get discouraged if you don't see them yet. Sources in stores that haven't gotten them yet here tell me they're just rolling them out now and by next week mostly all stores should have them. Guess $1 is the sweet spot selling point lol. My guess is that Dollar Tree bought the remaining gamestop stock of umd movies prob for like 25-50cents each and is selling them for $1 buck. Check out this shot of a Charlie's Angels at a Dollar Tree.

1343257337.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Haha. Yeah, I pretty much laughed when I saw that sticker. Hoping that no one has an interest in the UMDs in my area.

Got lucky at the second store they had a ton just thrown all over the bottom shelf in the electronics section. Picked up 16 of them they, had more but nothing I was interested in. The funny thing is about half of them were resealed. I picked through to find ones that had the orginal seal.

I went to a third store today, and the manager said they were getting them but the shipment isn't due until Saturday. He said the store's stock shipments are staggered by region, so if you're striking out in your area, it's worth check back periodically.

Found them at my store and had a stack of about 5 or 6 and couldn't pull the trigger. I mean my psp and games are already collecting dust, and I didn't need to add a bunch of stuff to that collection that I'd never use. Thanks for the post, OP, but the deal just isn't for me.

For those that are wanting these UMDs and are having trouble finding them, you might want to look for a rack at the end of the checkouts, that's where my Dollar Tree had them.

This might be worth a look, i already have a handful of them when GS had them for $5. But there was a few i missed, hopefully they have them.

[quote name='BlizzardCyclone']Definitely never hurts to ask someone. I got to talkin to one of the workers there and after about 5 min we were b uddies. At first he seemed hesitant but after talkin for a few minutes and mentioning i was just tryin to buy one of each for my personal collection, I asked when he thought they would get more in because I would simply come back. I saw another CAG had gotten Anger Management and Spiderman 3 so I asked for these two titles after he offered to "double check" the back. Then I just asked if I could take a quick look in the box and he brought out like 3-4 slim boxes and that's where I got the majority of the remaining titles :)[/QUOTE]

That exact same thing happened to me when I went to get some of those tv shows a month or so ago. Lady said they didn't have anything. I walked away with my 6 & 3 year old and said "sorry guys, no luck". She promptly called me over and took me into the back room. Said they were letting employees get first dibs and that she cleaned out what she could for all her grandkids and nephews for xmas. I ended up finding what we wanted though. Can't be mad at her.... perks of the job when your stock working at dollar tree. I'd do the same damn thing

well I do have a ten plus hour drive coming up and my gf has major anxiety about being in a car sooooooo....dollar tree here I come!

I went back to grab some more, Underworld 3 was taken :wall: After watching a couple I realized how cool it was to have movies for my beloved psp, for which I recently had to buy a huge battery to replace the one I ran over with the lawn mower, and for a buck each im gonna grab what I can. However, not all stores have put them on the shelves yet.

Still I got:

Hollow Man
Lords of Dogtown
Boyz in the Hood
and uh... Dark Crystal?

I really like that some have background art in the box. I also noticed some Have EB games stickers on them, tagged at 19.99 lol

I saw at most a dozen different titles in the Fredericksburg, VA Dollar Tree. Nothing really stood out to me. Let me remember some of the ones I saw:

Spider-man cartoon episodes voiced by Neil Patrick Harris, from MTV
Little-Man
Starship Troopers
Charlie's Angels
Godzilla with Matthew Broderick
Walk Hard
and some more forgettable titles.

Didn't pick up any, all well.

Has anyone in texas found any umd movies on their local dollar tree stores, im in mcallen but i have checked a few stores but all i found was some old dvds no umds at all

Picked up a few extra UMDs to possibly trade:

Underworld: Rise of the Lycans
Secret Window
Mall Cop

Looking for:

Labyrinth
Lakeview Terrace
Anacondas

Let's help each other out!

[quote name='Olengie']Just went to my local Dollar Tree. Nothing unfortunately. They were also cleared out of Dvds too. Haha.[/QUOTE]
That's probably because people are buying them for the trade and upgrade $5 off coupons at Best Buy.:lol:
[quote name='shadowkast']That exact same thing happened to me when I went to get some of those tv shows a month or so ago. Lady said they didn't have anything. I walked away with my 6 & 3 year old and said "sorry guys, no luck". She promptly called me over and took me into the back room. Said they were letting employees get first dibs and that she cleaned out what she could for all her grandkids and nephews for xmas. I ended up finding what we wanted though. Can't be mad at her.... perks of the job when your stock working at dollar tree. I'd do the same damn thing[/QUOTE]
TV shows at Dollar Tree? Such as? They're not full sets though, right? More like the "Best Of" ones they had a couple of times already probably.

Either way, too bad there's no way to upload these UMD flicks to my PC and then DL them to my PSP Go.:cry:

[quote name='morrodox']Also, you physically own the disc.[/QUOTE]

Can a regular blu ray or dvd player play these?

What good is owning the disc though if there only 1 outdated device that play these and hard to replace if not readily availible? Its like actually owning VHS or beta, can't trade them or even let someone borrow it.

Is the quality really good or better/same as dvd on the tv screen?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That's probably because people are buying them for the trade and upgrade $5 off coupons at Best Buy.:lol:

TV shows at Dollar Tree? Such as? They're not full sets though, right? More like the "Best Of" ones they had a couple of times already probably.

Either way, too bad there's no way to upload these UMD flicks to my PC and then DL them to my PSP Go.:cry:[/QUOTE]

Full seasons. I picked up a bunch for the kids; brave star, new he-man, some others I don't recall. Then day break for myself (mini series that was not picked up for continuing seasons)

[quote name='nixmahn']Can a regular blu ray or dvd player play these?

What good is owning the disc though if there only 1 outdated device that play these and hard to replace if not readily availible? Its like actually owning VHS or beta, can't trade them or even let someone borrow it.

Is the quality really good or better/same as dvd on the tv screen?[/QUOTE]

Who cares about trading them in or letting someone else borrow them! Esp for $1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And replace? Unless you give them to a 2 year old, shouldn't have to replace any.

[quote name='smokeyp31']Has anyone in texas found any umd movies on their local dollar tree stores, im in mcallen but i have checked a few stores but all i found was some old dvds no umds at all[/QUOTE]

I searched the store and asked about the UMDs in the local Eagle Pass stores, but I was out of luck. Not like I was really looking forward to it, I only kind of wanted to find the Final Fantasy VII Advent Children UMD.

Sony and others grossly miscalculated the demand for these... when it was introduced and there was nothing else really available for it game wise, the UMD's DID sell pretty well... then everything was released on UMD it seemed, many movies that never should've seen the light of day on the format... support from the other studios dried up leaving mainly sony's releases as it died out...

[quote name='str8gamer23']Anyone have any luck in california ? I checked 3 stores no luck. Should I keep looking?[/QUOTE]

You might want to take a break and check back next week. The manager at one of the Western NY stores I went to said that the stock shipments are staggered by area, and they're scheduled to get them in Saturday at my store. So if you had no luck at 3 stores in your area, chances are that none of the stores in your area have received their shipments yet.

lexington MA had them, they opened 3 boxes for me. I say Lexington, but you will really think of it as Burlington, by the new Market Basket and Old Navy

Middlesex Commons - Store #3820
675 Lowell St
Lexington, MA 02420

picked up
steam boy
starship troopers
starship troopers 3
Spider-Man animated mutant menace
Spider-Man 3
Mall Cop
Cruel Intentions

they had angels and demons
national security
godzilla
charlies angels
and some of the others mentioned here, no final fantasy, the boxes seemed to be duplicates or pretty close of each other.

Checked several other dollar trees all said they didn't have them, but they clearly had lots of boxes to unpack.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That's probably because people are buying them for the trade and upgrade $5 off coupons at Best Buy.:lol:

Either way, too bad there's no way to upload these UMD flicks to my PC and then DL them to my PSP Go.:cry:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was going to do that too with the Buy and Trade as well but I got too lazy. :lol: But I did stash some TV series here and there. Went there yesterday to still see them hidden.

I was at my local Dollar Tree today and didn't see any. But I wasn't specifically looking for them. I'll look tomorrow.

I really want Mall Cop, Secret Window and Starship Troopers 1. Has anyone seen Spiderman 2? I've pretty much picked up mostly every title.

I'm going to hit up some stores around the Jersey Shore area tomorrow. We should start a trade thread. These are great pickups for anyone who travels a lot. I really can't see why anyone would be knocking these. Of course it is a failed format but at this price how can you go wrong?

Hate to sound like a newb, but what is Bestbuy trade in upgrade. I can't find any trade in for UMD's on the Bestbuy site. Is this an instore thing ? I tend not to flip these, but if I could get rid of some crapware for 5 bucks sounds good to me.

[quote name='str8gamer23']Hate to sound like a newb, but what is Bestbuy trade in upgrade. I can't find any trade in for UMD's on the Bestbuy site. Is this an instore thing ? I tend not to flip these, but if I could get rid of some crapware for 5 bucks sounds good to me.[/QUOTE]
Trade in any DVD and they give you a coupon good for 'upgrading' to the Blu-Ray version. But I'm sure that some folks just pulled the ol' $1 DVD from the dollar store dealie rather than get rid of decent DVD's.:D

For the people who have found these, could you post your city/region? From what I've gathered in this thread, it seems to be only east coast stores who have received them so far. I've checked two stores in SoCal and found nothing.

It all depends on region and the shipping as well as the staff's willingness to put them out. Some people said to check around Saturday but they should be getting them soon.

bread's done
Back