1 Year Subscription to Nintendo Power Magazine $3.85

It's a deal...question is...though I love Nintendo as much as the next guy, I question the value of NP. The reviews and news are a joke, the only redeeming value are the beautiful maps and walkthroughs..but again, you can find these elsewhere. So, again it is a deal...just that it may not be worth it, even then.

I ordered awhile ago from the Magazine subscription thread.

It took about 16 weeks or so to get my first issue (which they say it could take up to 18 weeks, just so you know).

Also, I cheated - I ordered five subscriptions at once - one was marked as a "new", while the other four were marked as "renewals". I figured if I didn't get a five year sub that way, I'd just call Nintendo and they'd fix it.

Well, I ended up not having to call Nintendo and I ended up with a Nintendo Power subscription until 2011... for about $20.

Not a bad deal... however, not getting the bonus kills it for me. I previously had NP subscription only because I wanted the bonus, I got a brand new copy of FFTA guide. For $20, getting the guide and a year of 80% wasted paper + ink (IMO) is not too bad.

Since I've mentioned this in the free mags thread, I'll mention it again here.
Sometimes, when you order mag subs through a discount site with a credit card, when the sub ends, they'll automatically charge your card for another year's sub, at full price (not the sale price). If you purchase this, you might wanna use one of those Visa giftcards/debit cards that they sell at the mall, and not your credit card.
Ex: one of these thingys: http://www.simon.com/giftcard/

Does Nintendo Power ever have coupons in it? That would be nice if every now and then you get a $5 off coupon or something.

[quote name='hotwls13']Does Nintendo Power ever have coupons in it? That would be nice if every now and then you get a $5 off coupon or something.[/quote]

Yeah it does occasionally have $5 off coupons in it, I think they appeared around twice a yearr when I subscribed.

[quote name='Asgardian']Not a bad deal... however, not getting the bonus kills it for me. I previously had NP subscription only because I wanted the bonus, I got a brand new copy of FFTA guide. For $20, getting the guide and a year of 80% wasted paper + ink (IMO) is not too bad.[/QUOTE]

You can order player's guides from Nintendo for $13 and up (max price being $17). When you add in the price of this cheap ass subscription, at most, you end up paying less than a dollar more.

Also, typically when you find the guides in stores, they're $12-$15, so you'd save money buying the guide in the store and using this for your subscription. And if you do my five year plan, you'll never miss an issue waiting for a cool subscription bonus! :)

[quote name='lurknomore']It's a deal...question is...though I love Nintendo as much as the next guy, I question the value of NP. The reviews and news are a joke, the only redeeming value are the beautiful maps and walkthroughs..but again, you can find these elsewhere. So, again it is a deal...just that it may not be worth it, even then.[/quote]

Why are the reviews a joke? They're actually harder on Nintendo products than you'd think, giving a lot of games 6s that deserve 8s in my opinion, and when a game gets bashed everywhere else, it gets bashed in Nintendo Power as well. Personally, I like the magazine because the other 5 or 6 video game magazines I subscribe to give way too much coverage to Playstation and Xbox, and almost no coverage to DS or Wii. It's nice to get full previews for every new DS and Wii title coming out, not to mention the few GBA and Gamecube titles that are still trickling out. I have noticed Nintendo getting more coverage in other magazines lately though, probably due to their expanding market share thanks to high console sales this holiday season.

The only thing I hate about ordering magazines from a company that is not the original source (in this case directly from Nintendo), the magazines come much later. For example, I get my free EGMs 2 weeks later than when geniune subscribers receive them, and nearly a week later than when it hits retail stores (like GS, CVS, Eckerds, Walgreens). Can't complain that its free, but when my free EGM subscription ends, I'd rather pay the extra 75 cents an issue to get it early (they always have those 24 issues for $19.99 deals).

I would never trust ordering from a third-party company, no matter how cheap it is.

[quote name='Rozz']I would never trust ordering from a third-party company, no matter how cheap it is.[/QUOTE]

I've ordered through magazine values (I think that is the name) and everything came through just fine. I wouldn't be concerned at all about ordering through these guys.

[quote name='6669']Since I've mentioned this in the free mags thread, I'll mention it again here.
Sometimes, when you order mag subs through a discount site with a credit card, when the sub ends, they'll automatically charge your card for another year's sub, at full price (not the sale price). If you purchase this, you might wanna use one of those Visa giftcards/debit cards that they sell at the mall, and not your credit card.
Ex: one of these thingys: http://www.simon.com/giftcard/[/QUOTE]
I wonder if a Virtual PayPal debit card would work. I recently started using that and it uses a credit card number, so I don't think places could charge you again.

[quote name='KarmaPD']Definitely interested - does anybody have experience with this site?[/QUOTE]
I used them last year and I got all my mags but some take up to 4 months to start getting.

[quote name='NavidN']I ordered nintendos 3 for free would i be a renenwal or new sub?[/QUOTE]
if you already get it then renewal, if not the new sub

[quote name='freshzen']I wonder if a Virtual PayPal debit card would work. I recently started using that and it uses a credit card number, so I don't think places could charge you again.[/QUOTE]
they didn't charge my card and I just had 3 subscriptions end in Dec. Nintendo power being 1 of them :(

[quote name='Kendro']The only thing I hate about ordering magazines from a company that is not the original source (in this case directly from Nintendo), the magazines come much later.[/QUOTE]
Where you order the magazine is irrelevant. It's not like this company is getting boxes of magazines and mailing them to people All they're doing is reselling subscriptions. When you order through them, they forward your info on the the publisher. All the magazines come from the same place at the same time.

[quote name='6669']Since I've mentioned this in the free mags thread, I'll mention it again here.

From the site:

We do not automatically renew subscriptions as they expire like most publishers and other subscription agents do. We do not provide your credit card information to the publisher so they cannot charge your credit card for a renewal even if they wanted to. Some publishers will automatically renew you by sending a “renewal invoice”. When you receive this and do not want to renew or to renew at the price on the invoice, simply ignore it or write “do not renew” on the invoice and mail it back to the publisher.

In order to renew a subscription from us visit our website, www.bestdealmagazines.com , select the magazine you wish to renew and click on add to cart. On the next screen change Order Type to "renewal". You need to have your name and address exactly as it appears on your label. To accomplish this, “spoof” our system if it is different than what you have registered in your account by selecting “yes” for the question "is this a gift." This will permit you to enter your shipping information to what appears on your magazine label. The next page will then be a screen where you can exactly match your current shipping label on the magazine you wish to renew. Then just continue through the order process.

If you begin to receive duplicate issues, please the publisher at their subscriber services/customer service number listed in the magazine and ask that the two subscriptions be combined into one and request credit for the duplicate issue.

[quote name='freshzen']By the way I get Nintendo Power for free from Game Crazy's MVP.[/quote]Really, thats awesome, never knew that. Now if my gamecrazy was within distance of going to... Although I still would not buy NP magazine, it's not that I don't like Nintendo (I frequent gonintendo daily, I am playing mostly Nintendo games and look at my damn avitar, lol), but in this day in age, I don't want to read Nintendo Power because well I will find most of it's content useless to me.

[quote name='dohmai']thanks! i haven't read nintendo power in a while, but for 4 bucks, it can't be that bad![/QUOTE]

Exactly. For $4 I picked up this and PSM. I mean hell even if they are just decent magazines for $7 together ill bite. Makes good toilet material as well as something to read in between class or on car rides. And I mean love the Wii, DS and PS2 so why not(heh plus on the PSM their mag is always full of pervey pics).

[quote name='ananag112']Its really not worth the money IMO.[/QUOTE]

i dispute that claim. the subscription pays off for itself for anyone who bothers to Ebay the posters that come with them.
its a terrible magazine but $4 for a year of Nintendo posters is pretty nice.

way to go OP!

[quote name='sandrokstar']i dispute that claim. the subscription pays off for itself for anyone who bothers to Ebay the posters that come with them.
its a terrible magazine but $4 for a year of Nintendo posters is pretty nice.

way to go OP![/QUOTE]

O freaking sweet! Forgot about the posters. That alone makes it worth it.

I'm in. I was just about to sign up my 3rd kid for the free 3 months via Nintendo (using reg codes from games). This way I can save those for later.

This seems to be too good to be true so I'll pass. I just get that really icky feeling inside when I look at the site. Thanks OP for the info regardless.

[quote name='Demolition Man']This seems to be too good to be true so I'll pass. I just get that really icky feeling inside when I look at the site. Thanks OP for the info regardless.[/QUOTE]

best deals is alright nothing great.

[quote name='CitizenB']best deals is alright nothing great.[/QUOTE]

I'm more worried about what they do with my info than getting the deal. Sorry, but this is a case of where I'd rather spend a little more to get the subscription from Nintendo than through a third party.

That is some good advice. I'll have to remember this whenever I don't know about future sites.

NP (especially the newly launced) is still better and less obnoxious than the current bullshit EGM publishes every year. I really missed the EGM style that was in the mid to late 90's!!!!

Thanks to the OP!!!! I believe my subscription is up sometime this year so $3.85 renewal charge for another year is a steal!!! :)

[quote name='oni-link']NP (especially the newly launced) is still better and less obnoxious than the current bullshit EGM publishes every year. I really missed the EGM style that was in the mid to late 90's!!!![/QUOTE]

Same here...they lost me as a subscriber after 10+ years of service. I have not looked at an EGM mag in quite awhile.

bread's done
Back