$10 Gift Card with Lots of Popular Pre-orders at Circuit City

Admiral Ackbar

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
[img-r=4668]2425[/img-r]:360:Gears of War 2 (Reg and LE)
:360:Fable 2 (Reg and LE)
:ps3:LittleBigPlanet
:ps3:Resistance 2
iconcircuitcity.gif
Call of Duty World at War (PS3/360/Wii)
iconcircuitcity.gif
Fallout 3 w/mini guide (PS3/360/PC)
iconcircuitcity.gif
Fallout 3 CE w/mini guide (PS3/360/PC)
iconcircuitcity.gif
Far Cry 2 (PS3/360)
iconcircuitcity.gif
Pure (PS3/360)
:ds:Dragon Quest IV
:pc:Warhammer Online Age of Reckoning
:pc:Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3
:pc:Sims 3

Unrelated yet noteworthy, :ps3:Rock Band 2 is $10 off and the :ps3:Drums are $9 off.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ender']I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but I am getting these preorders for $10 off, and still getting a $10 GC as well. So, that's $20 off each game, essentially. I preordered 6 games, each of them were $10 off at checkout (called a "package discount"), and then I was emailed 6 seperate $10 gift cards. Woot![/quote]

You got the $10 off the preorder and pay for the $10 GC up front. You then get charged for the remaining balance of the game near release.

It's $10 - $10 = $0 gain, not $10 + $10 = $20 gain.

[quote name='Ender']I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but I am getting these preorders for $10 off, and still getting a $10 GC as well. So, that's $20 off each game, essentially. I preordered 6 games, each of them were $10 off at checkout (called a "package discount"), and then I was emailed 6 seperate $10 gift cards. Woot![/QUOTE]

Wait, wait, I just looked it up. You save ten off each., but they charge you ten for the card too.

yeah, got me excited for nothing... well, Ender, the deal suppose to work like that! And for a second, i thought you're getting two $10...

[quote name='slidecage']did you ask them to check behind the front counter.... Most places have them in but are holding them it seems till weds when the ad shows. If you go to the front counter and ask they might have them

here locally they had a stack of games right next to a stack of the 10 buck gift cards... They must expect a lot of people to show today[/QUOTE]

I asked at the last one and the guy looked it up and it didn't show up as being in stock in the store. I assume they'll have them in by 2 p.m. today (crosses fingers)

[quote name='mrkapawutzis']I asked at the last one and the guy looked it up and it didn't show up as being in stock in the store. I assume they'll have them in by 2 p.m. today (crosses fingers)[/QUOTE]

they will have it today. They probally had it yesterday, it wasnt in their system at the store i went to since they were behind the front counter not even put into the computer yet.

played it around 3 1/2 hours last night still on chapter 2...

Chapter 1 only took 1 hour.. chapter 2 is taking longer then i thought.. If i remember chapter 3 and 4 are very short though (easy to beat in one hour)

So am I understanding this correctly? I pay $10 in store to pre-order a copy of game X, get an email code for a $10 gift card, and then pay the $59.99 msrp on the games release date? If so then we are allowed to use the gift card on the game we are pre-ordering, right? As opposed to getting the gift card with purchase of a game that is out and having to use the gift card on some other transaction...

you pay 10 for the card upfront, then 50 when the game releases. Therefore paying full price for the game but you still get a 10 dollar gift certificate.

i preordered gears of war 2 LE and i didn't get no gift card i preordered before the gift card deal im wondering if i go to the CC storeand show them that i preordered do i get the 10 gift card

I'm going to go to CC tonight and check it out. I'll let you know what happens. I'm hoping to get PO's for Resistance 2, fallout 3, and gears.

it sucks that the normal gears pre-order is out online or I would just do it there. I don't really need the LE since it doesn't add anything to gameplay.

Thanks for the great catch there. Looks like I'll be ordering all my holiday releases from Circuit City for sure this year, and will probably get enough gift cards to get one for free.

Bravo!

[quote name='blackwaltz34']anyone know how CC is with shipping? do they ship early so the game arrives by release date?[/QUOTE]

nope.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Dammit, no Left 4 Dead.

I hope they have it discounted during the week it launches, as they often do...[/quote]

At Circuit City, Left 4 Dead would cost me $59.99 + 59.99 (.06) = 63.59.
At Amazon, it ships free and with no tax (maybe depending on state) for $53.99. You'll lose 40 cents on the deal, but save in gas and get to spend the $9.60 wherever you want.

That said, you may not get it as fast from Amazon, or you may get it faster...I don't know.

Hmm, I guess I'll have to pick up Fallout 3 from Circuit City. I have about $10 on a gift card with them, already.

So, has anyone confirmed they have this offer in store also? I pre-ordered Gears 2 at the store, but the guy could not confirm that I would get a gift card.

I just went there to preorder fable and they said that I would get the gift card when I picked up the game but they did not charge me the $10 that everyone else is. I also didn't get the free voucher for the pub games that is advertised on the preorder. I may just go back and cancel it for my $5 back. customer service sucked.

I pre-ordered the regular version of Gears 2. According to the checkout lady, there would be a 10 gift card. And she even said I had to choose between the $10 card and saving $6 with the 10% discount card. But I couldn't do both.

There's nothing on my receipt that says I'll get a gift card, so I guess it's wait and see.

Looks like the Gow Pre-order is oos and now the fallout 3 pc pre-order has disappeared. The LE is still available. But I was just going to order the regular.

fucking CC.

[quote name='lovemetal626']can you use the 10 dollar gift card when you pick up the game?[/quote]

while that might make sense to you and me, probably not. The point to the promotion is to get you to go back and buy something else. If they ment for you to use it that way then ask yourself why they didnt just knock $10 off the game price and skip the aggravation of activating a GC. Probably wouldnt hurt to ask your cashier though when you go in to get it if they wouldnt mind simply applying the GC to the purchase right there.

I was ready to try some of this with the $15 off $100 coupon I got with my order of CoD4 (PC) and GoW (PC), but they specifically exclude games now, but only on online orders. That's goofy.

Can I pre-order any of these games online and just pick it up on the day of release?

The gift card is charged ahead of time correct? But what if you wanted to use the gift card on another product? Sorry for the n00b questions.

[quote name='miguelotron']Can I pre-order any of these games online and just pick it up on the day of release?

The gift card is charged ahead of time correct? But what if you wanted to use the gift card on another product? Sorry for the n00b questions.[/quote]
I don't think online orders for games can be picked up in store. AFIAK games, movies and music can't be placed online for in-store pickup.

I haven't tried it yet but if the gift card is charged for immediately, you would get the GC code in an email which you can use online or in-store right away. So if you have a few games to preorder which have their own $10 GC, you could chain up the orders by using the GC from the previous order.

Does anyone have any experience on how CC would package a game such as Fallout 3 CE for shipment? Box or padded envelope?

Fallout 3 CE seems to be a metal lunch box type of case. I'd be really pissed if any retailer tries to ship it in anything other than a protective box!

It depends... for standard dvds and stuffs, items arrived fine, but for big items (like the PSP Cyclone speaker system), damaged on arrival (they didn't use any box, just shipped the thing with a label).

If the Fallout CE is packed in the metal lunchbox with a plastic wrapper, then expect to get few dins and dents... So the question is how the CE is going to be packed for the retailers. I hope it's boxed, otherwise expect dents...

Does anyone know how long the Basic Shipping (free) option usually takes at CC? I'm ordering LBP and would like to get those 2 free DLC costumes available during the first week only.

edit- Nevermind, I see it's 6-10 business days. I'll take my chances.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gears of War Regular, Fallout PC Regular and Dragon Quest are availabe again. Huzzah!

Have any of you got your electronic gift card yet or will they come then the order ships?

Does anyone know if I could preorder like five games and cancel 4 and still get $50 in gc?

just wondering

[quote name='ghost00']Does anyone know if I could preorder like five games and cancel 4 and still get $50 in gc?

just wondering[/quote]

Yeah you can do that. However, you do pay for each gift card with tax included online. The games themselves if originally $59.99 are instead $49.99 + $10 gift card. Thus you are paying 59.99 still.

[quote name='ghost00']Does anyone know if I could preorder like five games and cancel 4 and still get $50 in gc?

just wondering[/quote]

facepalm.

[quote name='eau']I don't think online orders for games can be picked up in store. AFIAK games, movies and music can't be placed online for in-store pickup.

I haven't tried it yet but if the gift card is charged for immediately, you would get the GC code in an email which you can use online or in-store right away. So if you have a few games to preorder which have their own $10 GC, you could chain up the orders by using the GC from the previous order.[/QUOTE]

I preordered Fable 2 and they charged 10 for the gift card which I got by email. I then tried to use the gift card to preorder Fallout 3 online, but it was not possible I got an error saying the gift card was not valid on Pre-orders, wtf.
Why would they not let you use a gift card with pre-orders??

[quote name='fire eagle']I preordered Fable 2 and they charged 10 for the gift card which I got by email. I then tried to use the gift card to preorder Fallout 3 online, but it was not possible I got an error saying the gift card was not valid on Pre-orders, wtf.
Why would they not let you use a gift card with pre-orders??[/quote]

...uh maybe so you can't get $20 off your games after the first one?

I tried to pre-order LittleBigPlanet in-store on Friday but nobody (including the manager) could get it to appear in the system. Manager said he would fix it by Monday but when I went in again, it still didn't work.

So, they couldn't take my pre-order and they couldn't tell me whether or not I would get the gift card for pre-ordering. Has anyone else experienced this?

Is this combinable with the $15 off $100 coupon (handed out at the store) when you preorder online?

For example, Fallout 3 $79.99 + some fillers = $100+ and then apply coupon?

[quote name='MrBeatdown']I tried to pre-order LittleBigPlanet in-store on Friday but nobody (including the manager) could get it to appear in the system. Manager said he would fix it by Monday but when I went in again, it still didn't work.

So, they couldn't take my pre-order and they couldn't tell me whether or not I would get the gift card for pre-ordering. Has anyone else experienced this?[/QUOTE]

Considering they fired their best store managers and sales people for making a wage one could live on without being on food stamps and are on the verge of collapse, I woudn't be surprised if they didn't know anything about preorders at the stores. They're just trying to find a new job while they're still getting a paycheck from CC, two people I know who work there are like zombies; just functioning out of habit and not desire.

As far as the on the verge of collaspe comment...
Forbes 9/29/08: Circuit City's Last Stand?
AP 9/30/08: Circuit City has bigger 2Q loss, withdraws outlook
CNET 9/30/08: Circuit City and its impending doom
SA 9/30/08: Circuit City Falls Further: 'Bring Out Your Dead'

Use those $10 gift cards on products ASAP and not more pre-orders you may never get.

I went to CC the other day to ask if I could get the same deal if I preorder it in the store, but nope. When they rang up the preorder, though, they seemed to be under the impression you'd be able to get a $10 gift card if you showed up the day it comes out (For Fable 2 anyway) and bought it. Don't understand why that wouldn't work with a preorder, though.

I went in today to try pre-ordering LBP again and it finally worked. They wouldn't let me have the pre-order bonus though, which I assume is a little sticker book thing inside the red DVD cases.

They didn't seem to have any clue about the gift card deal online but they said they would honor it if it's online.

[quote name='fire eagle']I preordered Fable 2 and they charged 10 for the gift card which I got by email. I then tried to use the gift card to preorder Fallout 3 online, but it was not possible I got an error saying the gift card was not valid on Pre-orders, wtf.
Why would they not let you use a gift card with pre-orders??[/quote]

You won't be able to use it because they don't let use use gift cards to buy gift cards. I tried to use a gift card to preorder Fallout, but since buying a gift card is part of buying (the sell the game for $50 and the gift card for $10), you can't use a gift card on it.

bread's done
Back