$10 Gift Card with Lots of Popular Pre-orders at Circuit City

Admiral Ackbar

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
[img-r=4668]2425[/img-r]:360:Gears of War 2 (Reg and LE)
:360:Fable 2 (Reg and LE)
:ps3:LittleBigPlanet
:ps3:Resistance 2
iconcircuitcity.gif
Call of Duty World at War (PS3/360/Wii)
iconcircuitcity.gif
Fallout 3 w/mini guide (PS3/360/PC)
iconcircuitcity.gif
Fallout 3 CE w/mini guide (PS3/360/PC)
iconcircuitcity.gif
Far Cry 2 (PS3/360)
iconcircuitcity.gif
Pure (PS3/360)
:ds:Dragon Quest IV
:pc:Warhammer Online Age of Reckoning
:pc:Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3
:pc:Sims 3

Unrelated yet noteworthy, :ps3:Rock Band 2 is $10 off and the :ps3:Drums are $9 off.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Doc Bacca']You won't be able to use it because they don't let use use gift cards to buy gift cards. I tried to use a gift card to preorder Fallout, but since buying a gift card is part of buying (the sell the game for $50 and the gift card for $10), you can't use a gift card on it.[/quote]

Actually I think its more that with pre-orders, they effectively take a 'reservation' for the game but due to various accounting issues they don't collect any money until they actually have the item in their possession. Now with credit card payments this isn't an issue...they take the CC info but don't do anything until they have the game...they haven't taken any money in the transaction. This is problematic with gift cards because if they just take the gift card info that still means the card could be redeemed somewhere else in the meantime and if they redeem the card prior to actually having the item, that's a problem since they have taken payment on something they actually don't have.

Since LBP has a $15 gift card for buying it at CC according to the new sales ad for that week, can you get the $10 pre-order bonus and then the $15 card for buying the game?

I just hope they don't screw it up like Dead Space, I had it pre ordered but they still don't have the 360 version so I cancelled. I ordered a few of the other deals, hoping they get those games.

It's so rare that they are sold out on release day, I just go on my lunch break. I bought dead space yesterday with 10% gamer's club + $10 gift cert. All in all, it's a much better deal than buying from Gamestop. Given that there are several other titles I am looking to buy that come with (or hopefully will) more $10 cards, my goal is to have enough for another game when it's all said and done.

I just preordered Fallout 3 (PC) and got $10 instant savings (instead of the gift card most likely).

edit: but I'm going to get charged for the gift card later? I don't get it.

[quote name='Grimm Fandango']I just preordered Fallout 3 (PC) and got $10 instant savings (instead of the gift card most likely).

edit: but I'm going to get charged for the gift card later? I don't get it.[/quote]

Basically they discount the price of the game by the gift card amount. But then you are also purchasing a gift card for an equivalent amount unless you do the browser trick. With it I got Fable 2 for $48.48 tax included and free shipping. Pretty good, I got it one day after release aka today for an order processed Monday.

[quote name='WasabiJoe']Basically they discount the price of the game by the gift card amount. But then you are also purchasing a gift card for an equivalent amount unless you do the browser trick. With it I got Fable 2 for $48.48 tax included and free shipping. Pretty good, I got it one day after release aka today for an order processed Monday.[/quote]

By "processed Monday", do you mean you placed the order on Monday, or you got the shipping notice on Monday? I ordered on the 13th, they sent the shipping notification on Tuesday (release date), and I am (somewhat) patiently waiting for it. I wish there was some tracking info, at least.

[quote name='WasabiJoe']Basically they discount the price of the game by the gift card amount. But then you are also purchasing a gift card for an equivalent amount unless you do the browser trick. With it I got Fable 2 for $48.48 tax included and free shipping. Pretty good, I got it one day after release aka today for an order processed Monday.[/quote]What's this browser trick you're talking about? Is it not just them taking the price of the gift card off the game price, but later charging you the gift card price?

[quote name='guessed']By "processed Monday", do you mean you placed the order on Monday, or you got the shipping notice on Monday? I ordered on the 13th, they sent the shipping notification on Tuesday (release date), and I am (somewhat) patiently waiting for it. I wish there was some tracking info, at least.[/quote]

I think I placed the order on Saturday but they only process (ship out) orders on business days. Pretty good, they shipped Fable to me on Monday and it arrived by Wed. Though I live relatively close to where they shipped it out from.

Edit: Truncated part of my post. It looks like a mod is cleaning up this thread so I won't agitate the issue. Got ya, he was deleted for quoting my original post.

[quote name='WasabiJoe']I think I placed the order on Saturday but they only process (ship out) orders on business days. Pretty good, they shipped Fable to me on Monday and it arrived by Wed. Though I live relatively close to where they shipped it out from.

Edit: Truncated part of my post. It looks like a mod is cleaning up this thread so I won't agitate the issue. I'm not sure why certain other posts are being removed though. We can't even talk about shipping orders out?[/quote]Scamming CC out of GC values with "browser tricks" isn't to be discussed on CAG, as you're buying an item with a GC, not using it on the same purchase through a website glitch. Of course, it's discussed elsewhere on the Internet. The shipping of orders has nothing to do with the post cleanup.

[quote name='shrike4242']Scamming CC out of GC values with "browser tricks" isn't to be discussed on CAG, as you're buying an item with a GC, not using it on the same purchase through a website glitch. Of course, it's discussed elsewhere on the Internet. The shipping of orders has nothing to do with the post cleanup.[/quote]

i understand that its bad to promote glitches but i didnt see a big difference between that thread and people posting threads about serious pricing errors [eg on Amazon/Walmart] which i believe is A-okay. I mean the only thing the glitch does is cashes in the value of the promotion instantly rather than on your next purchase. Its not like you're stealing from them in which case i'd be in total agreement with you.

[quote name='qwerty1']i understand that its bad to promote glitches but i didnt see a big difference between that thread and people posting threads about serious pricing errors [eg on Amazon/Walmart] which i believe is A-okay. I mean the only thing the glitch does is cashes in the value of the promotion instantly rather than on your next purchase. Its not like you're stealing from them in which case i'd be in total agreement with you.[/QUOTE]

And then there's always the B2G1F return policy from TRUS which was promoted but not exactly tipping you towards the good side (i'd like to write too much fable ii here, but i didn't get it :cry:)

[quote name='qwerty1']i understand that its bad to promote glitches but i didnt see a big difference between that thread and people posting threads about serious pricing errors [eg on Amazon/Walmart] which i believe is A-okay. I mean the only thing the glitch does is cashes in the value of the promotion instantly rather than on your next purchase. Its not like you're stealing from them in which case i'd be in total agreement with you.[/quote]You're not going through with the promotion as they intended with this GC glitch, as you're bypassing the system as they set up. Pricing mistakes are one thing, and far more times than not, they don't go through, plus you're not workng around their system they have in-place. This is willfull bypassing of the system they have in-place by doing a trick to get around it.

There's discussion of this "trick" done elsewhere on the Internet. Feel free to discuss it there.

[quote name='kfrancia']I was wondering why my post got deleted. So were not allowed to talk about glitches?[/quote]Willful bypassing of CC's sytem for this promotion, no.

is this just for circuit city?
i remember last year there was a glitch if you bought any madden 08 (like the DS version) you can get any thing half off like the guitar hero bundle.
Also there was a TRU glitch awhile back ago where it was suppose to be buy 2 get 1 free but during a certain time there was a glitch where it was buy 1 get 1 free online.
Yet were allowed to talk about these?

[quote name='kfrancia']is this just for circuit city?
i remember last year there was a glitch if you bought any madden 08 (like the DS version) you can get any thing half off like the guitar hero bundle.
Also there was a TRU glitch awhile back ago where it was suppose to be buy 2 get 1 free but during a certain time there was a glitch where it was buy 1 get 1 free online.
Yet were allowed to talk about these?[/quote]They're wisely starting to cut down on these kinds of posts now. So just go with that rule (no posts about glitch/cheating the system) in the future.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']They're wisely starting to cut down on these kinds of posts now. So just go with that rule (no posts about glitch/cheating the system) in the future.[/QUOTE]

oh ok thanks....just wanted to know so i dont post things like this and get banned or something.

Doubt you'll get both -- most likely $10 GC if you preorder OR 1600 pt card if you buy it on/after 11/7

Has anyone who pre ordered LBP when it had a $15 gift card, gotten notice of shipping? My still says pre order and the web site has it in stock.

[quote name='tightclaws']Has anyone who pre ordered LBP when it had a $15 gift card, gotten notice of shipping? My still says pre order and the web site has it in stock.[/QUOTE]

Yeah mine still says preorder also, which is lame hopefully it will ship sometime this week.

[quote name='magus83']Yeah mine still says preorder also, which is lame hopefully it will ship sometime this week.[/quote]

I don't think so, the new LBP item at CC has a different UPC code than the one we ordered. It can't ship if they have a UPC code that does not match, everythings computerized. I called and tried to get help, but the people who work at CC are clueless. I wanted to canecl and reorder with the new UPC code so it can ship out, but the stupid people I talked to could not or would not agree to the price I been set to pay on the pre order. She wanted to re order and pay full price and full price shipping. When i had ordred it with Fable 2 and split the shipping and got the 15 dollar gift card taken off the price. Now I see why CC is going out of business by the end of the year they are simply pitiful.

[quote name='tightclaws']I don't think so, the new LBP item at CC has a different UPC code than the one we ordered. It can't ship if they have a UPC code that does not match, everythings computerized. I called and tried to get help, but the people who work at CC are clueless. I wanted to canecl and reorder with the new UPC code so it can ship out, but the stupid people I talked to could not or would not agree to the price I been set to pay on the pre order. She wanted to re order and pay full price and full price shipping. When i had ordred it with Fable 2 and split the shipping and got the 15 dollar gift card taken off the price. Now I see why CC is going out of business by the end of the year they are simply pitiful.[/quote]

Interesting observation. That would suck if they fail to honor all of their pre-orders for LBP. I can imagine a whole lot of people angry about being tricked (even though I know it was not CC's intention) into buying a $15 GC.

Just got this regarding Fallout 3.

This email is to notify you of a delay in your order. The manufacturer has not released this product to Circuit City by the date that was specified, so we are unable to fulfill your order at this time.

Original Release Date: 09/09/2008

Product Ordered: Fallout 3 (PC)

We will keep your pre-order open for the next 30 days and ship your item when we receive it. You will not be charged for this item until it ships.

If you would like to cancel your order, please click here.

Sincerely,
circuitcity.com

Not sure why they screwed up the release date here but the delay still sucks.

I got the same email. Crap! I hope it doesn't have anything to do with CC's financial status. Better ship it soon!

[quote name='tightclaws']Good news ! They shipped mine and at the discounted price all is well hail CC.[/quote]

My LBP hasn't shipped yet, but your post allowed me to breathe a little easier.

Edit: Mine still has not shipped, but my order has been updated to show both the originaly UPC and the new UPC. Crisis averted.

[quote name='qwerty1']just got the same email.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Revco']I got the same email. Crap! I hope it doesn't have anything to do with CC's financial status. Better ship it soon![/QUOTE]

PC version as well? PS3 and 360 versions can still be added to your cart but the PC version cannot.

Blarg this still sucks.

Well, Ia sked about LBP.

"Thank you for contacting circuitcity.com. Your expected arrival date is 11/07-11/13/08. The item you have ordered has not yet been released for sale to the general public. Once this item is released for sale, we will bill your credit card and will ship the item to you."

About 30 minutes after I posted that my LBP still hadn't shipped, I got shipping notification. Woohoo!

BTW, I guess this is worth a shot, I still haven't won the lottery.

Hmmm, should I bother trying to order Fallout 3 from CC for the $10 gift card?

I physically went into the store for the $10 GC for Dead Space, so maybe I'll just actually go to the store again. Am I allowed to use a $10 GC to purchase Fallout 3 AND get the $10 GC from the Fallout 3 deal?

It sounds like people are having some problems.

[quote name='PatzCU']Hmmm, should I bother trying to order Fallout 3 from CC for the $10 gift card?

I physically went into the store for the $10 GC for Dead Space, so maybe I'll just actually go to the store again. Am I allowed to use a $10 GC to purchase Fallout 3 AND get the $10 GC from the Fallout 3 deal?

It sounds like people are having some problems.[/quote]

They say they don't let you use gift cards to buy gift cards, which if you go to get Fallout, they only charge you 50 for Fallout and then 10 for the gift card. At least that's what happened when I went to buy it online. I tried using an old gift card and it said I couldn't.

I took advantage of most of these deals, but after Gears Of War 2 I don't think buying anything from CC is a good Idea. I expect CC to bottom up by years end.

Yup, LBP is back to $15 gift card! Confirmed it over the phone at my local store and going in to pick it up after work.

I noticed that last night, was gonna mention it. Oh well, hopefully you guys use the GCs up soon before CC goes belly up lol. I'm hoping they don't though. I've gotten alot of cheap games from them, even better online since there is no B&M store in my state so I dont get charged sales tax from them.

bread's done
Back