10% Off Amazon Gaming Purchases and Other Perks with ECA Membership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaoz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
CheapyD update - (The discount codes are presently unique one-time use coupons. Members should download one coupon per game, one game per cart. Multi-time use individually-assigned codes are coming soon.)

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='shivaedge']Here's to hoping that my Gold Box doesn't fill with games I want during this down time.[/QUOTE]

lol, seriously.

[quote name='shivaedge']Here's to hoping that my Gold Box doesn't fill with games I want during this down time.[/QUOTE]

Of course Uncharted 2 (preorder) just popped in mine so I went to get a new code and......

dammit.

Bah, guess I'm passing on the Tom Clancy: EndWar dotd. Needs another $2-4 shaved off. I was wondering why my new code looked almost the same as my last one.

Was just about to jump on and purchase Sports Active for the wife. Looks like I will be holding off a couple days on that one. No biggie, really. Just glad the ECA and Amazon are hard at work clearing up this situation. I really hope Amazon come up with a solution that ties these codes to a single account because people taking advantage of the discount will lead to the same situation in a rather short time.

[quote name='xsouthparkx']Used games from other sellers.
In my experience, the codes work for all games.[/QUOTE]

Hold up, seriously? I hadn't even thought to try. Even for games not even shipped by Amazon? I just assumed...

Thanks, I'll be sure to try this when they're back.

-[Unknown]

[quote name='Hoffer']What games sold by Amazon are not eligible for Prime?

These ECA codes only work on games sold by Amazon, right?[/QUOTE]

Below.

[quote name='xsouthparkx']Used games from other sellers.
In my experience, the codes work for all games.[/QUOTE]

Bingo!

This seems like a cool deal but I need one thing cleared up.
If I put more than one copy of a game in my cart will get 10 percent off on all the games in my cart?

Coooome on codes. I hope next time they request a fresh batch from amazon when they hit the 20% remaining mark so they can get them before they run out.

I don't know what I'm doing differently.
I saw Wii Sports Resorts in my Gold Box for $44. I added it to my cart to pre-order. When I went to check out, I saw "Promotion Applied: $4.70"

..So I just pre-ordered Wii Sports Resort for $39.94

[quote name='lilboo']I don't know what I'm doing differently.
I saw Wii Sports Resorts in my Gold Box for $44. I added it to my cart to pre-order. When I went to check out, I saw "Promotion Applied: $4.70"

..So I just pre-ordered Wii Sports Resort for $39.94[/QUOTE]

You cant get another code.

its because you had already entered a code before, and then you tried to check out with that game.

The system remembers what the last code you put in.

There should be more Amazon 10% discount codes within next 5 days according to Seth at ECA. This is the reply I got today when questioning they were depleted.

-----

There will be a new batch of codes up within the next 5 days. Please check back

Seth

[quote name='WhiteFlash420']Thanks. I was just wondering the same thing. This will come in handy. :D[/QUOTE]
You know what, maybe it's just me, but when I tried that method, quick picks yielded completely random results (most not even game related). It worked fine a couple weeks ago. Maybe they run out of things to recommend and end up recommending random things at one point.

The markups for new games are small so throw in their most of the time discounted new releases with this 10% off, what's in it for amazon? I'm not complaining because I've made use of this membership discount I'm just wondering...

[quote name='sbains']There should be more Amazon 10% discount codes within next 5 days according to Seth at ECA. This is the reply I got today when questioning they were depleted.

-----

There will be a new batch of codes up within the next 5 days. Please check back

Seth[/QUOTE]

I'm glad I prebought Infamous before they ran out. I hope this leads to the tied-to-account discount soon, so we don't need codes

Amazon plays a bit less for games than most other retailers (save Wal-Mart probably), especially for games from companies like NIS/Atlus (by volume alone). If they pay $45 for a new game and mark-off $3 as pre-order bonus and then you tack on a 10% discount ($9 off total) you're looking at $51. The incentive there is people are less likely to go for the item at $57, so even though they sell it for $6 less, they're still making $6 more than not selling it (or selling it down the road to the same person for $50, at which point it's taken up warehouse space).

[quote name='ynocturnal']The markups for new games are small so throw in their most of the time discounted new releases with this 10% off, what's in it for amazon? I'm not complaining because I've made use of this membership discount I'm just wondering...[/QUOTE]

It prompt ppl to buy now instead of later... which, once you put it off, the incentive to act get less and less since it is no longer the "hot" release and ppl move to bargain hunting mode with other things jump into the front of the line.

For example, right now, I have x-edge as my quickpick goldbox. I am staring at it and not clicking. If the ECA discount comes back before x-edge disappear, it is a buy. If not, then I can live without it since I've seen x-edge at friends house when he imported and wasn't impressed at all. Once I put off this purchase, it will probably take sub $40 before I act... and really, may just go with used... If I ever care to pick it up at all... resulting at least a delayed sale, if not a lost sale.

I am not sure if I want ECA discount to come back before it disappear or not... :)

[quote name='WhiteFlash420']Thanks. I was just wondering the same thing. This will come in handy. :D[/QUOTE]

been playing with this for a while.. have to say it's a bit too handy... getting way too many things I want in goldbox...

The thing it tho and I've never read that whole post but there are much quicker ways of doing it than what's mentioned on the first page or so. Thinking about doing a post on here about it.

[quote name='Afflicted']been playing with this for a while.. have to say it's a bit too handy... getting way too many things I want in goldbox...

The thing it tho and I've never read that whole post but there are much quicker ways of doing it than what's mentioned on the first page or so. Thinking about doing a post on here about it.[/QUOTE]

Please do!

Dang, I want to buy the Wii Sports Resort in the Gold Box, but there aren't any 10% coupons left.

Delaying the coupons is just a way to be stingy with the discounts, even though the membership's paid for in full.

[quote name='lilboo']But I never had a code. All I did was go to checkout and the extra 10% was applied. Sorry if I wasn't clear.[/QUOTE]

When I added Raiden Fighters Aces for 19.99 it applied a promotion of $2, I never used a code like you (only for pre ordering another game), but when I added other games just to make sure, only the $2 was taken off.

*UPDATE: I just tried it again after reading your post, and apparently the 10% is only discounted off the first item you put in your cart, I added Rock Back Classic Rock Pack by itself $27.99, and it took $2.80 off, maybe this is the instance of a reusable code?

It also worked with my quickpick of Star Ocean 4, did the coupons work on multiple items?

Last edited by a moderator:
update from the eca forums this morning:

Default Amazon Code Update
We hope to get an update from Amazon today. It’s difficult to predict how quickly a partner will turn around offer codes. I’m sure they’re doing their best. From the limited experience I have in dealing with their IT staff, they seem great. They probably just have a lot on their plates. We’ll update you when we know more though.

On a brighter note, we just got word back from another large partner who would also like to offer significant discounts. We just need to finalize the paperwork and get it wrapped up. Then it’s up to Jason, our new Director of PR, to decide how best to get the word out.

[quote name='doodofdoods']I'm hoping it's steam.[/QUOTE]

though this would be nice, I hope for someone that had retail games from every direction.

I think with Steam, eventually one would buy up everyting... then what?

at least giving someone say Newegg or another e-retailer like Buy.com, that one won't have to settle for valve or limited selection softwares.

[quote name='botticus']They have about 12 hours to get on it before Amazon loses about $85 in purchases.[/QUOTE]

LOL. Well, if it's any consolation: Amazon could care less ;)

I contacted them yesterday and complained and said they should know when they are running out and that they should always have there next set before the put the current set online. They told me it was going to be up to 5 days from 5/20/2009. I told them that was unbelievable--1 week without those coupons. They offered me a swag bag. I will have to say there customer service is A++. I emailed them and had an answer within 5 minutes and replies within 2 minutes of emailing them back!

Main reason I am sticking with them. They also said they are working on making sure this never happens again!

[quote name='horriblehager']I contacted them yesterday and complained and said they should know when they are running out and that they should always have there next set before the put the current set online. They told me it was going to be up to 5 days from 5/20/2009. I told them that was unbelievable--1 week without those coupons. They offered me a swag bag. I will have to say there customer service is A++. I emailed them and had an answer within 5 minutes and replies within 2 minutes of emailing them back!

Main reason I am sticking with them. They also said they are working on making sure this never happens again![/QUOTE]
Except the set they had was from almost 2 months ago. If this is there first time working with Amazon how are they supposed to know how fast they'll go out?

Since I don't work or know anyone at the ECA I can't say for sure, but I doubt they waited until the last code was gone to ask Amazon for more codes (or getting the permenant codes working).

Speaking of Gold Box items, do they ever reappear after already appearing once in your quick picks? Cross Edge unfortunately had to appear in my quick picks today and I wish it would came back later in the future.

[quote name='horriblehager']I contacted them yesterday and complained and said they should know when they are running out and that they should always have there next set before the put the current set online. They told me it was going to be up to 5 days from 5/20/2009. I told them that was unbelievable--1 week without those coupons. They offered me a swag bag. I will have to say there customer service is A++. I emailed them and had an answer within 5 minutes and replies within 2 minutes of emailing them back!

Main reason I am sticking with them. They also said they are working on making sure this never happens again![/QUOTE]

I commend you for complaining, but it's a pretty amateurish organization and they don't really seem to have a good handle on basic business skills and what it takes to work with outside vendors. Let's be honest, all of us signed up because of the promise of the Amazon codes and if that doesn't get corrected soon, there is really no reason to stick with them. It's not like they have launched any significant lobbying efforts or made any impact on policy related to games or gamers.

They're out of codes again? I thought everyone was getting a code that tied to their amazon accounts. I was just trying to sign up and it doesn't seem to work, it's just keeps going around and around between the cart and check out.

[quote name='shivaedge']Speaking of Gold Box items, do they ever reappear after already appearing once in your quick picks? Cross Edge unfortunately had to appear in my quick picks today and I wish it would came back later in the future.[/QUOTE]

yea they do come back

Anybody else get 10% off automatically? I just ordered 2 games in my gold box today and the 10% off promotion was automatically applied to both of them with no code needed.

I am in no way complaining but just wanted to know.

[quote name='pswiifanboy']Anybody else get 10% off automatically? I just ordered 2 games in my gold box today and the 10% off promotion was automatically applied to both of them with no code needed.

I am in no way complaining but just wanted to know.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, just tried it and went through checkout, took off 10% off for me too. Pretty sure I don't have any codes left over from any cancelled orders either.

^^^ Well, I absolutely, positively did not have any codes left over and I tried to place an order and the discount was NOT applied.

[quote name='bojay1997'] It's not like they have launched any significant lobbying efforts or made any impact on policy related to games or gamers.[/QUOTE]

Who do you think fights against videogame censorship when the idiotic state governments (such as California right now) won't back down?

[quote name='eastx']Who do you think fights against videogame censorship when the idiotic state governments (such as California right now) won't back down?[/QUOTE]

That would be the IGDA, the IEMA and the ESA. Actually, a pretty broad coalition of groups including the book resellers association and the MPAA also filed amicus briefs. I can't find any record of the ECA doing anything on the California bill that is being appealed by AG Jerry Brown.

was lucky enough to have a code saved in cookies or something b/c I had God of War III in my gold box, went for it and took off the 10% also. So got that preordered for $50.xx yay

Any chance that "UPDATE!" can be removed from the title of this thread until there is an actual update? The OP hasn't been edited in over a month. Kind of a pet peeve of mine, I think if "update" is in the title, the date of the last update should be, also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back