10% Off Amazon Gaming Purchases and Other Perks with ECA Membership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaoz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
CheapyD update - (The discount codes are presently unique one-time use coupons. Members should download one coupon per game, one game per cart. Multi-time use individually-assigned codes are coming soon.)

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in law school also, friend.
But I don't feel the need to have a pissing contest.
Are you saying that what I said is incorrect?

Enlighten us. Please correct me.

In the name of full disclosure, I studied English and Writing at Purdue University. I actually minored in philosophy.
I go to Valparaiso Law School in Indiana.

You don't need a law degree to know what The ECA has done constitutes a voidable contract.

[quote name='unclenebber']I'm in law school also, friend.
But I don't feel the need to have a pissing contest.
Are you saying that what I said is incorrect?

Enlighten us. Please correct me.[/QUOTE]

For someone who doesn't want to have a pissing contest, you're sure quick to grab your dick.

Wow, both in law school and they disagree! Who'da thunk it?

Basically, I agree with unclenebber. Amazon never represented this discount to us; ECA did, so it's up to ECA to fulfill it. If they're unable to come to terms with Amazon, they need to come clean and stop promoting the discount; otherwise they're clearly misrepresenting the deal.

First of all you state that the ECA has misrepresented the contract. In what way have they done that? The terms are clear, and I would hope people here have the capacity to accept the contract. I mean I guess I could see a situation where a child may have taken their parent's credit card to sign up and would therefore not understand that these benefits were subject to change. Good luck having an adult claim that. I highly doubt that any court would find that there was no meeting of the minds.

Back to the misrepresentation what did they misrepresent? The ECA made a comment that if you bought 3 games or whatever within a year you would make your membership fee back. The amazon code is not gone for good, and I would expect that should people want to, they will be able to do that before their year membership is up.

Negligence? Where do you see negligence here in the contracting? No ambiguous terms, no duress, no deception. The benefits were working and many people have used it. A temporary "outage of service" here does not equal having no benefits at all. Try to get out of your cell phone contract because you have times where you cannot call, good luck.

So where's your explanation for your statements?

Well they do have some negligence by neglecting to put in the benefits section that the Amazon deal is currently unavailable. I signed up this morning and did so under the assumption that I would be able to use the 10% discount, but as of now have been unable to do so.

They claim that the codes will return, but they cannot guarantee that, and if they don't am I out my $15 or do I have a case? (FYI: I refuse to pay any lawyer consulting fees)

[quote name='eastx']The ECA page right now tells you that the codes are down, so they're not misrepresenting it at the moment.[/QUOTE]

This is only true in the members benefits area which isn't accessible until you become a member.

[quote name='woodraskam']Well they do have some negligence by neglecting to put in the benefits section that the Amazon deal is currently unavailable. I signed up this morning and did so under the assumption that I would be able to use the 10% discount, but as of now have been unable to do so.

They claim that the codes will return, but they cannot guarantee that, and if they don't am I out my $15 or do I have a case? (FYI: I refuse to pay any lawyer consulting fees)[/QUOTE]

If after your membership expires and you never had the chance to use it, given the fact that they advertised it, you probably would have a case. You wouldn't even need to go to court, just call the ECA and I'm sure they would return your fee. The whole point is that people here complain and make ridiculous comments like reporting to the BBB when the code is down for a week.

What you're not understanding is that the current terms weren't in place when many people entered into the contract. Those original terms were misrepresented. As far as negligence, i'm sure you know what a misrepresented contract can lead to. And because the misrepresented aspect is the chief reason many people entered into the contract, it can be considered negligent.

You assume innocence in a contract misrepresentation case?

[quote name='AwRy108']Oh, and while we're spinning quotes, here's an obtuse one for ya': "Arguing on the Internet is like winning the Special Olympics..."[/QUOTE]

Isn't that supposed to be something like "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics..."?

I joined a pretty long time ago and the Terms of Membership and the Membership Agreement were there already. They teach you in the first year that simple negligence isn't going to void a contract. Normally there must be some form of bad faith involved, although not always. But it must be more than simple negligence. Although it's difficult for me to even see what constitutes simple negligence as you still do not point out specifically how the ECA acted negligently in contracting.

Because potentially they misrepresented the terms on purpose to get people to sign up? Do you not understand that?
Of course 'simple negligence' doesn't necessarily constitute a voidable contract.

You should also read through the earlier parts of this thread to understand that the terms changed to fit into the reality of the contract.

Hmm... so they misrepresented the terms on purpose to get people to sign up huh... I don't know they said here are these benefits, these benefits could change in the future but for now they exist. These benefits were down temporarily for a matter of days at a time so far, but for the majority of the time they have been there. The Amazon benefit is set to come back today or tomorrow. What is it I'm not understanding?

From what I see the benefit they represented to the members is still there, but maybe not there 24/7. I guess what I'm not understanding is that if I sign into any contract and any part of the contract, be it benefits, or promises lapses for even a moment, I'm now able to void? Wow thanks for the lesson.

What you're not understanding is that the benefits never changed. Only the language used to describe them. They initially never said that these were one-time use coupons.

I'm not trying to argue with you, and I don't believe ECA is malicious, I'm simply stating that if I were starting a case against them I would prove that most of their recent memberships were due to a misrepresented claim about amazon coupons.

I'm not even talking about the lapses, because I believe they were innocent with regard to those. Hasty, albeit innocent.

The terms of the agreement clearly says that these benefits are subject to modification. Saying that the benefit never changed is merely parsing words. If the detail you are going to focus on will be the one time use coupons, this would definitely count as a modification regardless of what they said in the beginning. On top of that the benefits page states that the eventual goal is the implementation of multi-use coupons, but that as of right now there are only single use coupons.

I joined pretty early and it already said that on the benefits page. If it wasn't there I guess perhaps the people who were the first to join may have an argument, but again you seem to be arguing that it's the recent members that were deceived.

I asked in their forum that they change their benefits page to indicate to non-members that the current Amazon deal is down. Hopefully they will receive valid codes soon, but if they don't, hopefully they'll at least warn newcomers of the problems.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']Thread reported. I'm over watching you babies cry about a discount.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry your majesty. Had I known you didn't approve of this discussion I would have never participated.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']Thread reported. I'm over watching you babies cry about a discount.[/QUOTE]

Just spitballing here, but did you consider the old "don't read the thread" approach? When the codes are up again I'm sure you'll know because the "I would totally buy this if ECA was up" comments will disappear from every Amazon thread.

[quote name='Teh Nitwit']I'm sorry your majesty. Had I known you didn't approve of this discussion I would have never participated.[/QUOTE]

Nobody said I didn't approve of the conversation but it didn't need to go off course like it did. If you read just a few posts more you'd see what I said.

[quote name='bvharris']Just spitballing here, but did you consider the old "don't read the thread" approach? When the codes are up again I'm sure you'll know because the "I would totally buy this if ECA was up" comments will disappear from every Amazon thread.[/QUOTE]

As someone who wants to get into the "club", I'm perusing this thread so I can see when the codes are up. Why do I want to sift through 3-4 pages of berating when I don't have to?

Someone can go make a new thread when the issues with the discount codes are fixed.

Right now, it's a matter of too many people whipping out their e-penis and trying to have the biggest pissing contest they can manage.

It's turned into a mess and frankly, it's best put in the ground until ECA and Amazon fix their issues. Until then, we're done with this trainwreck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back