10% Off Amazon Gaming Purchases and Other Perks with ECA Membership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaoz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
CheapyD update - (The discount codes are presently unique one-time use coupons. Members should download one coupon per game, one game per cart. Multi-time use individually-assigned codes are coming soon.)

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jacknicklson']
[*]All Benefits are subject to discontinuation, change, modification, improvement or substitution without notice and ECA makes no representations or warranties with respect to, and accepts no responsibility or liability for, out of date or erroneous information related thereto.
[/QUOTE]

So, basically what ECA is saying is: JOIN ECA and get a 10% DISCOUNT on GAMES at Amazon.com!!! (shh, don't tell anyone, but the discount is basically bogus).

That's BS.

[quote name='DavidJD']So, basically what ECA is saying is: JOIN ECA and get a 10% DISCOUNT on GAMES at Amazon.com!!! (shh, don't tell anyone, but the discount is basically bogus).

That's BS.[/QUOTE]

Or it could mean "Hey, don't cry because people abuse the perk and causes Amazon to nix the codes."

But hey, jumping to conclusions is MUCH better.

That would pretty much be the standard terms of ANY such contract. Any business, group, or whatever reserves the right to discontinue a product, service, offer, etc. I seriously doubt the ECA was laughing like lunatics when they were writing that up, telling each other that they were gonna screw us out of our $20.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']That would pretty much be the standard terms of ANY such contract. Any business, group, or whatever reserves the right to discontinue a product, service, offer, etc. I seriously doubt the ECA was laughing like lunatics when they were writing that up, realizing they were gonna screw us out of our $20.[/QUOTE]

If anything, I'm sure they WANT to keep the codes going because they know more people will pay THEM money to get those codes.

Amazon is the one that is probably causing this "deal" to go under, because they are probably losing a shitload of money with people using multiple codes.

[quote name='JCDenton']This is incredibly unprofessional. As far as I know, the ECA has accomplished exactly NOTHING since its inception. It's just like those joke charity organizations where 90% of the money collected goes to "administrative costs" and almost nobody gets helped by donations. The ONLY reason I signed up is that 10% off Amazon purchases was worth $20 to me. And in fact, the ECA induced people to sign up with these codes with its marketing claims of "buy just 3 games per year and your membership is paid for." So, when Amazon puts Prototype up on a one-day sale, I damn well expect to be able to use these codes to buy it. I did after all pay for the codes.[/QUOTE]
Because every organization ever made changed all corporation and government policy right after they started right?

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']If anything, I'm sure they WANT to keep the codes going because they know more people will pay THEM money to get those codes.

Amazon is the one that is probably causing this "deal" to go under, because they are probably losing a shitload of money with people using multiple codes/[/QUOTE]

Absolutely.

The ECA did not have the terms of their deal with Amazon properly listed on their membership page did they? Or am I missing something?
So, it's not the fact that they may discontinue, it's the fact that it was misleading and deceitful from the start.

They can legally change without notice, but they can not advertise on front page and email you saying there is a working discount when there isn't when you sign up.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']:roll: First of all, I graduated from college with a double major in philosophy and honors humanities, while achieving a 3.92 GPA. I've forgotten more than you'll probably ever know.[/QUOTE]

:bow: You really fit the steretype of an arrogant philosopher. How do you know he's not a PhD? Btw, those are some worthless degrees you got there.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Well said

Also, learn to fucking read(for those crying in here)

1. Description of ECA Services. Each Member is entitled to receive discounts and other benefits on specified entertainment-related and other products and services offered by participating vendors ("Benefits").
    1. All Benefits, including, without limitation, a then current listing of participating vendors, are included in the ECA Service membership package emailed to all Members and accessible online at www.ECAmembership.com (the "Benefits Website"). To access Benefits or information related to Benefits or the ECA Service from the Benefits Website, a Member will be required to enter his or her ECA registered email address and password.
    2. Discounts and other Benefits available to Members are based upon negotiated group discounts from participating vendor's usual and customary fees, or on national or regional fees for such Product. A Member's actual savings and benefits will vary depending upon Member's location in the United States and the specific Benefit. Discounts and other Benefits available to Members may not be combined with discounts from any other discount program.
    3. All Benefits are subject to discontinuation, change, modification, improvement or substitution without notice and ECA makes no representations or warranties with respect to, and accepts no responsibility or liability for, out of date or erroneous information related thereto.
    4. ECA has negotiated with the providers of Benefits in an attempt to acquire the best possible products, services and discounts for its members.
    5. The membership fee for the ECA Service includes $19.99 (non-refundable) payable for the Member's annual subscription to the Benefits Website.

Its the first section here: http://www.theeca.com/terms :roll:[/QUOTE]

That's all fine and good, but I signed up this morning, and the Amazon "Benefit" was still listed. So even if I wanted to use it immediately I couldn't. I'm not saying we should get compensated. I'm not saying we should report them to the BBB. But the fact is that they are promoting something that they currently cannot offer. I agree that if you're gonna spend $15/20 then there are worse places to spend it, but they aren't innocent in this whole mess either.

You wasted $150,000 on an education you coulda got for $1.50 in late fees at the public library.

We're all incredibly impressed.
You know I took some philosophy classes too, and it did not teach me anything about contract law.

Your degrees are... cute.

[quote name='Joda84']They can legally change without notice, but they can not advertise on front page and email you saying there is a working discount when there isn't when you sign up.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='unclenebber']The ECA did not have the terms of their deal with Amazon properly listed on their membership page did they? Or am I missing something?
So, it's not the fact that they may discontinue, it's the fact that it was misleading and deceitful from the start.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. They advertised this benefit of membership the day that I joined. I've been their member for about a week now and I've yet to be able to take advantage of it.

So, basically, we've resorted to "wah, I'm not getting what I want, so let's insult anyone who says I'm being a baby?" Makes sense. Good thing that, unlike these codes, the ignore feature on CAG still works.

hahaha im so glad i got 6 free memberships from the digitallife 2008 fiasco [they gave out free memberships because the expo was postponed for one year]

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']:roll: First of all, I graduated from college with a double major in philosophy and honors humanities, while achieving a 3.92 GPA. I've forgotten more than you'll probably ever know.

Second of all, the point of my post was questioning anyone's (not yours, but hey, if the shoe fits, my mother always said to wear it) decision to join a group they apparently hate, because they can save a few pennies. That's why you're suppose to the read whole post...not one or two sentences.

For someone questioning another poster's intelligence, you have some issues of your own you should probably check into.[/QUOTE]

If I was gonna brag about my double major, I think I'd leave out the Philosophy and Humanities part.

Perhaps, seeing as how you guys think The ECA is so wonderful, they should take the Amazon.com listing off of their membership benefits page, for starters.

They are wrong. Legally.

Luckily I'm not an impulsive malcontent who signs up for every deal I see.

[quote name='Teh Nitwit']Exactly. They advertised this benefit of membership the day that I joined. I've been their member for about a week now and I've yet to be able to take advantage of it.[/QUOTE]

Hey, you wanna know a secret?

There are other benefits or "perks" that is available on that website. You're acting like Amazon was the only benefit they offer.

If people are so concerned, go to the ECA forums. I don't know why people are wasting time here throwing insults back and forth.

They defnitely should take it off of the main page as the part where it reads that they are temporarily unavailable is for members only so I definitely see the gripe of new/recent members who may have not read this thread.

Current members have absolutely nothing to bitch about.

[quote name='Teh Nitwit']Nope. I joined only to get the codes. I suspect most people did too.[/QUOTE]

Yep, I think most people did. I doubt the group is really effective at "promoting video games" blah blah blah, and I suspect the founders are mainly in it for the money too. But they seemed harmless enough that I didn't care if I gave them my money.

But I agree everyone should have known ahead of signing up that the amazon perk might be pulled at any time. If it's done soon, it just shows very badly on ECA and would make gamers despise them as shady, but technically, it's all within the terms of signing up. We should give them more time to sort it out though before getting worked up about it.

Oh and after doing some looking, I found this on their forum that was posted yesterday.

Amazon Code update We understand that the new codes will be in tomorrow or Friday. And yes, we’ve been talking about the multi-use codes with them as well. More as we know it.
So sit down, shut up, and wait.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']:roll: First of all, I graduated from college with a double major in philosophy and honors humanities, while achieving a 3.92 GPA. I've forgotten more than you'll probably ever know.

Second of all, the point of my post was questioning anyone's (not yours, but hey, if the shoe fits, my mother always said to wear it) decision to join a group they apparently hate, because they can save a few pennies. That's why you're suppose to the read whole post...not one or two sentences.

For someone questioning another poster's intelligence, you have some issues of your own you should probably check into.[/QUOTE]

Congrats on your "degrees." I hear that philosophizing is a skill in huge demand among employers these days. I know that for my clients at least, when it's time to make a major decision NOTHING goes through until we run it by the Philosophy Department first. The headlines you see in the news only focus on the execs and board, but everyone on the inside knows that Philosophy has all the pull.

Seriously though, do you realize how hilarious it is that you think those useless degrees that give you exactly no skills are something to brag about, rather than be embarrassed by? You do realize that your lot in life is going to be serving people like me coffee right? Those degrees put you on the fast track to Starbucks.

[quote name='unclenebber']You wasted $150,000 on an education you coulda got for $1.50 in late fees at the public library.

You know I took some philosophy classes too, and it did not teach me anything about contract law.

Your degrees are... cute.[/QUOTE]

I know I've heard this somewhere. I think it was Good Will Hunting. If you are going to denigrate someone's educational pedigree at the very least be original.

Dammit.

Every time I check this thread again I'm expecting someone to be like "NEW CODES UP!!! GO GO GO!!!"

But no... it's more fun to just try to blame Amazon, the ECA, philosophy majors, or the ECA members. I think it was Michael Jackson's fault. He really screwed up the internets last week.

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']Hey, you wanna know a secret?

There are other benefits or "perks" that is available on that website. You're acting like Amazon was the only benefit they offer.[/QUOTE]

There is... Only one people want is the Amazon one.

Haha, I was quoting it. You knew it buddy. Yeah, I was stealing lines from an Oscar winning movie.

Oh yeah, one more thing...

Are you talking to me?

[quote name='Legendbyname']Dammit.

Every time I check this thread again I'm expecting someone to be like "NEW CODES UP!!! GO GO GO!!!"

But no... it's more fun to just try to blame Amazon, the ECA, philosophy majors, or the ECA members. I think it was Michael Jackson's fault. He really screwed up the internets last week.[/QUOTE]

Damn. I was hoping there were new codes up but the new post was just someone complaining about people posting when new codes aren't up. ;)

[quote name='xycury']If people are so concerned, go to the ECA forums. I don't know why people are wasting time here throwing insults back and forth.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, seriously...bitching at each other isn't going to make ECA work again.

I suggest some of you read about 'Genuine Consent' in contract law.

The ECA misrepresented the the terms of the contract, and if I had signed up, I would be able to get my money back.

Not only that, it is relevant that the misrepresented portion of the contract is what convinced many to sign up.

[quote name='unclenebber']I suggest some of you read about 'Genuine Consent' in contract law.

The ECA misrepresented the the terms of the contract, and if I had signed up, I would be able to get my money back.

Not only that, it is relevant that the misrepresented portion of the contract is what convinced many to sign up.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I've missed out on several games because of ECA. I was waiting for ECA Amazon codes to go back up so I could pick up Tales of Vesperia, and now the deal is dead. I'm not going to whine and bitch like some people here, but it does suck, and ECA should be offering something as a token of "goodwill," as it were, to put out flames. It is a little ridiculous..

Oh yeah, I don't think people should whine and complain, that's just frivolous.

But I also don't think armchair lawyers understand that perhaps The ECA isn't so innocent here.

Thousands of companies a year are sued for misrepresenting contracts.

They were at the very least negligent.
And in law, negligence very often leads to voidable contracts.

[quote name='unclenebber']You wasted $150,000 on an education you coulda got for $1.50 in late fees at the public library.

Your degrees are... cute.[/QUOTE]

hahahah. he shoots. he scores!

You know you don't have to cite a source if something is a well known saying or quote.
I figured a lot of people would recognize the quote, and I was right.

But I'm the twit?

I guess you didn't know that, must have a philosophy or humanities degree.

Ok, this one is really mine, 'I think therefore I am.'
Or in the original latin that I wrote it in; Cogito Ergo Sum.

Come on philosophy majors, what did Descartes teach you about contracts?

[quote name='unclenebber']You know you don't have to cite a source if something is a well known saying or quote.

But I'm the twit?

Come on philosophy majors, what did Descartes teach you about contracts?[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the Intranets.

How this whole discussion has blown up over the loss of a 10% discount has been well worth the membership and thread subscription to me. Thanks ECA!

How this whole discussion has blown up over the loss of a 10% discount has been well worth the membership and thread subscription to me. Thanks ECA!

[quote name='unclenebber']You know you don't have to cite a source if something is a well known saying or quote.

But I'm the twit?

Come on philosophy majors, what did Descartes teach you about contracts?[/QUOTE]I call bullshit. Do you have an English major and the MLA Handbook nearby to prove it? ;)

Considering I just saw Good Will Hunting on TBS last week (or was it FX?), I fully got the movie reference.

But what I was laughing at is that your philosophy degrees mean nothing when it comes to actual contract law.

Contract law. Contract law. Contract law. Keep repeating that over and over again. What does it have nothing to do with crying over $20 and a discount code? I lost $20 on the way to the comic store when I was 10 and cried less than some of you people are. Sorry, but I have a hard time believing you have a good job or obtained a decent education when you're losing your shit and threatening BBB complaints over this.

But I'm the twit?

Come on philosophy majors, what did Descartes teach you about contracts?[/QUOTE]

No offense, but if you're as educated as you claim to be, then shouldn't you know better than to spend your "valuable" time arguing on an Internet forum with strangers? Contract breach or not, it's not worth arguing about the temporary loss of a 10% discount on hobby purchases, especially considering how much money the discount has saved all of us when it's actually working.

Oh, and while we're spinning quotes, here's an obtuse one for ya': "Arguing on the Internet is like winning the Special Olympics..."

I didnt sign up for ECA (dont know why I didnt) but I am glad I didnt. Hey if you at least spent $200 on amazon purchases before this whole fiasco, at least you got your money back in discounts.

I have never claimed to be very educated. But I do know a little about contract law. I'm simply saying that ECA isn't innocent.
I hope they get everything straightened out.

But because the misrepresented portion of their contract is the main reason many are signing up, they are digging themselves a hole.

[quote name='Arakias']whats good will hunting? does eidos make that game or is it like cabela / deer hunter games?[/QUOTE]

Cabela makes it.

Good Will Hunting 2: Open Season

I'm not even signed up for ECA. I'd love to sign up but then I hear about these codes not working so I'm waiting.

As for the Amazon discount being just one of the many benefits, who cares? Who cares why people sign up. The point is that they did sign up and didn't get what they expected so they're complaining. If you signed up for AAA for the Triptiks instead of the towing, wouldn't you be upset if they took it away or they didn't give it to you?

You can't, as a business, deliver on *most* of your promises and expect that to be ok. Clearly the 10% discount is a huge draw. But if they took away the ECA membership stickers or whatever else is on that list of "benefits", they'd still be wrong.

That being said, people need to relax. The BBB has no power at all.

But I'm the twit?

Yes, feel free to compare some ancient quotes to some Ben Aflectk/Mat Damon movie. I'm sorry, but faulty analogy, buddy. Nobody knows that quote, except for maybe 0.01% of the population who've seen the movie AND remember it.

Immanuel Kant was a real pissant
Who was very rarely stable.
Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar
Who could think you under the table.
David Hume could out-consume
Schopenhauer and Hegel,
And Wittgenstein was a beery swine
Who was just as schloshed as Schlegel.

(and I didn't know Descartes was ancient, I guess they found his thoughts scribbled on some parchment, or in some tome)

[quote name='unclenebber']Oh yeah, I don't think people should whine and complain, that's just frivolous.

But I also don't think armchair lawyers understand that perhaps The ECA isn't so innocent here.

Thousands of companies a year are sued for misrepresenting contracts.

They were at the very least negligent.
And in law, negligence very often leads to voidable contracts.[/QUOTE]

I think it's funny that you comment on armchair lawyers, but you yourself are the one doing the most armchair lawyering. Just wondering from where do you have a law degree or are you even enrolled in law school?

I've not only taken contract law but I'm in law school. You spew a lot of nonsense, but present it in a way that you know people here who are not familiar with law will just accept what you say. But it is what it is, nonsensical musings about the law from a person who continually mocks philosophy because of its irrelevance to law. Just what is it that you majored in or what business have you worked for that gives you any insight at all? Wikipedia is not a valid answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back