10% Off Amazon Gaming Purchases and Other Perks with ECA Membership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaoz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
CheapyD update - (The discount codes are presently unique one-time use coupons. Members should download one coupon per game, one game per cart. Multi-time use individually-assigned codes are coming soon.)

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

Last edited by a moderator:
For pre-orders, can't we add the ECA discount after the order has been placed? Whenever I click "View Order" for my preorders, it seems like I can add a coupon code. I ordered Halo ODST when it was in quick picks and hopefully I can add the coupon once they become available again.

[quote name='disillusion386']For pre-orders, can't we add the ECA discount after the order has been placed? Whenever I click "View Order" for my preorders, it seems like I can add a coupon code. I ordered Halo ODST when it was in quick picks and hopefully I can add the coupon once they become available again.[/QUOTE]

Nope, ECA discount only works when checking out, you can't add it later. You'll have to cancel and reorder

Not to be a dick, but I think we should get some kind of compensation for the outage, even if it's something small...it would be better than nothing.

Great Prototype is the DotD at $40. Sure would be nice to pick it up for say.... $36. Anyone know how I could do that? Oh wait...

Just happens to be this week I want to buy a bunch of games off Amazon.

Just my luck, the codes expire when I actually have a list of games/accessories that I wanna buy (and they're sort of time sensitive too). Sigh.

[quote name='Legendbyname']Great Prototype is the DotD at $40. Sure would be nice to pick it up for say.... $36. Anyone know how I could do that? Oh wait...

Just happens to be this week I want to buy a bunch of games off Amazon.[/QUOTE]

This.

From the ECA forums on the Amazon codes not working (message was posted yesterday, Wednesday 7/08/09:
ECA Marketing
user_offline.gif

icon1.gif
Amazon Code update
We understand that the new codes will be in tomorrow or Friday. And yes, we’ve been talking about the multi-use codes with them as well. More as we know it.

Hopefully this means they will be back this afternoon so I can get Prototype, but I have no rush on that game anyway so its a waiting game now.

I hope they get this fixed soon, because I joined specifically for the Amazon code today. My plan is to buy NCAA Football 10 for $48.60 (shipped free through prime) and then do the GS $40 trade in for Madden and a cheap monthly rental.

I specifically got this for days when, oh I don't know, games like Prototype were $20 off. Real nice, guys. Time for a BBB call?

Okay, comments like "we deserve compensation" and "I'm going to call the BBB!" are really pissing me off.

This is a BONUS. This is not some rewards program. We are supporting the work the ECA does. This is a really cool BONUS, and it could change at any time.

It is very annoying since it's cool to have that it keeps running out, but we're getting it for free.

Ah man, of course prototype is on sale today...my last day of Prime trial. I think I'll bite anyways ;) you guys should mellow out a bit. I'm bummed out too but getting mad at a non-profit iz zo zilly my fwends.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Okay, comments like "we deserve compensation" and "I'm going to call the BBB!" are really pissing me off.

This is a BONUS. This is not some rewards program. We are supporting the work the ECA does. This is a really cool BONUS, and it could change at any time.

It is very annoying since it's cool to have that it keeps running out, but we're getting it for free.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on the fact that we may not deserve compensation, but it is not a bonus but a benefit. If they advertise it as motivation for someone to sign up, I would expect to receive that benefit.

Wow that lovely...I got a few of ECA Amazon code saved up and they are all expired? :(

Amazon and ECA need to work out a way so member do not have to generate the code. Just link the two account and they don't have to worry out people handing out code getting 10% off.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Okay, comments like "we deserve compensation" and "I'm going to call the BBB!" are really pissing me off.

It is very annoying since it's cool to have that it keeps running out, but we're getting it for free.[/QUOTE]

This. Also, I see a lot of people here blaming ECA for this problem, when in reality it's Amazon. Go bitch to Amazon, not the ECA forums. ECA clearly knows about the problem, but can't do much on their own because the codes come from Amazon. At most, the only thing ECA can say to Amazon is "can you please hurry up with the codes."

Unless the ECA knew about the expiration dates on the codes and didn't "order" more codes (which I doubt), the blame is purely on Amazon.

[quote name='Xiemos']This. Also, I see a lot of people here blaming ECA for this problem, when in reality it's Amazon. Go bitch to Amazon, not the ECA forums. ECA clearly knows about the problem, but can't do much on their own because the codes come from Amazon. At most, the only thing ECA can say to Amazon is "can you please hurry up with the codes."

Unless the ECA knew about the expiration dates on the codes and didn't "order" more codes (which I doubt), the blame is purely on Amazon.[/QUOTE]

+1

And Amazon is getting punished.... no sales by us ECA members... Too damn cheap to buy it when we know 10% off more is just around the corner.

Seriously, any talk about quiting ECA at this point is a tard. This is in Amazon's hands now, and ECA can't do anything about it.

Start emailing/calling/complaining about NEVER shopping at Amazon.

Let me throw in my two cents:

1) I've agreed with Wolfpup in the past on this, and I'll do it again. You're paying a few bucks to support the ECA. You know, the non-profit organization that supports the consumer rights of gamers. It's not like they are stealing all of your big dollars here and laughing all the way to the bank with them. Yes, they need to fix this, because it's an advertised benefit of being a member. Still, flipping out and threatening to contact the BBB (which won't do anything, anyway) is silly, in my opinion.

2) I think it's tough to say what group is to blame here, but without any knowledge of what is going on behind the scenes, I don't see how everyone is so quick to dump all of the blame on the ECA. I'm sure they just didn't throw up the benefit on the page and then contact Amazon later. They probably had something worked out, but Amazon is not holding up their end.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Let me throw in my two cents:

1) I've agreed with Wolfpup in the past on this, and I'll do it again. You're paying a few bucks to support the ECA. You know, the non-profit organization that supports the consumer rights of gamers. It's not like are stealing your dollars and laughing all the way to the bank here. Yes, they need to fix this, because it's an advertised benefit of being a member. Still, flipping out and threatening to contact the BBB (which won't do anything, anyway) is silly, in my opinion.

2) I think it's tough to say what group is to blame here, but without any knowledge of what is going on behind the scenes, I don't see how everyone is so quick to dump all of the blame on the ECA. I'm sure they just didn't throw up the benefit on the page and then contact Amazon later. They probably had something worked out, but Amazon is not holding up their end.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. It's obvious that ECA is trying to resolve this problem quickly from their forum comments, and it's understandable that there are some perturbed/angry CAGs who want to get the coupons before they miss out on some sweet Amazon deals. But there's no reason to threaten with calls to the BBB because the ECA is making a very reasonable attempt to resolve the problem.

I agree that we don't deserve compensation and that complaining to the BBB is pointless, but this is not a bonus. This was a benefit which all of us paid $20 to receive. Let's be honest, if there was no Amazon discount, 99% of us wouldn't have joined. It's not like ECA has actually successfully lobbied anyone to do anything and frankly, most of us don't even care what it is that they allegedly stand for.

We aren't getting it free. We paid for it. I'm tired of people automatically defending the ECA when it is very simple for an organization to enter into a firm contract with a benefit provider which actually has enforceable provisions. Just a few months ago, ECA wasn't even sure if the Amazon code was one time or multi use. It seems like an organization that is supposedly advocating for all of us gamers would at least be able to figure out basic business contracts. I'm not mad because as of the codes going down, I think I saved a total of $18 on Amazon purchases since joining ECA. I'll eat the other $2 and not be too sad about it, but it really reflects poorly on the ECA that they can't even figure out how to make their own program work.

Well...I may have to add Prototype to my cart and wait till the end of the day. I'm kind of doubting that any version is going to sell out. Yesterday a Marketing rep from ECA posted this:

[quote name='"ECA Marketing"']We understand that the new codes will be in tomorrow or Friday. And yes, we’ve been talking about the multi-use codes with them as well. More as we know it.[/quote]

so we could potentially have codes back later today. Guess I'll get my hopes up and wait in anticipation.
EDIT: Whoops, didn't see that nightmare posted this a few hours earlier. Either way, seems it could use reiterating in this thread.

[quote name='xycury']+1

And Amazon is getting punished.... no sales by us ECA members... Too damn cheap to buy it when we know 10% off more is just around the corner.

Seriously, any talk about quiting ECA at this point is a tard. This is in Amazon's hands now, and ECA can't do anything about it.

Start emailing/calling/complaining about NEVER shopping at Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Two facts for ya':

1) Amazon.com could care less about the small % of business they get from CAG's with the ECA memebership
2) If you decide to boycott Amazon.com, be aware that--with or without the 10% off--you'll be paying more for your games if you buy them elsewhere.

Sure, I'm a bit miffed that the ECA has run out of codes; but I tend to be even more irritated every time I find myself buying a game at a B&M because, chances are, Amazon.com has it (or will have it) cheaper. Sure, there's always exceptions to the rule (especially for people who have all day to store hop for clearance sales or pricing mistakes...), but 9 times out of 10, Amazon.com is the best bet, especially because most of us don't have to contribute Sales Tax, which means a few less dollars contributing to our corrupt political system.

Amazon.com is the best thing that's happened to CAG'ers since they day CAG launched, and deciding to not buy games from them because of a shoddy ECA deal would simply be foolish. Even for brand new titles, $3-4 less than MSRP + FSSS + NO SALES TAX (for most of us) makes shopping at Amazon.com a no-brainer.

Nonsense. 10% off Amazon is by far the main reason for joining ECA. ECA should extend everyone's memberships by the duration that their main benefit was down.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Let me throw in my two cents:

1) I've agreed with Wolfpup in the past on this, and I'll do it again. You're paying a few bucks to support the ECA. You know, the non-profit organization that supports the consumer rights of gamers. It's not like they are stealing all of your big dollars here and laughing all the way to the bank with them. Yes, they need to fix this, because it's an advertised benefit of being a member. Still, flipping out and threatening to contact the BBB (which won't do anything, anyway) is silly, in my opinion.

2) I think it's tough to say what group is to blame here, but without any knowledge of what is going on behind the scenes, I don't see how everyone is so quick to dump all of the blame on the ECA. I'm sure they just didn't throw up the benefit on the page and then contact Amazon later. They probably had something worked out, but Amazon is not holding up their end.[/QUOTE]

I think some people are taking thing a bit too far... sure it should work like we paid for it but even though it doesn't, I've already saved 3x what I paid for.

While I agree they could have done a better job, I'm not calling for anyone's heads. Granted I missed two games but I probably wouldn't even think of ordering those games if ECA wasn't around and they would probably never get played.

[quote name='awry108']two facts for ya':

1) amazon.com could care less about the small % of business they get from cag's with the eca memebership
2) if you decide to boycott amazon.com, be aware that--with or without the 10% off--you'll be paying more for your games if you buy them elsewhere.[/quote]
this. It sucks but i'm sure they will work it out soon. Everyone be patient.

[quote name='AwRy108']Two facts for ya':

1) Amazon.com could care less about the small % of business they get from CAG's with the ECA memebership
2) If you decide to boycott Amazon.com, be aware that--with or without the 10% off--you'll be paying more for your games if you buy them elsewhere.

Sure, I'm a bit miffed that the ECA has run out of codes; but I tend to be even more irritated every time I find myself buying a game at a B&M because, chances are, Amazon.com has it (or will have it) cheaper. Sure, there's always exceptions to the rule (especially for people who have all day to store hop for clearance sales or pricing mistakes...), but 9 times out of 10, Amazon.com is the best bet, especially because most of us don't have to contribute Sales Tax, which means a few less dollars contributing to our corrupt political system.

Amazon.com is the best thing that's happened to CAG'ers since they day CAG launched, and deciding to not buy games from them because of a shoddy ECA deal would simply be foolish. Even for brand new titles, $3-4 less than MSRP + FSSS + NO SALES TAX (for most of us) makes shopping at Amazon.com a no-brainer.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, Amazon is great.

It's crazy to think that people are getting mad at ECA when it could very well be an issue with Amazon, it is their store afterall and probably why it's taking this long to figure out what's happening, Amazon really isn't caring as much as we are right now.

What bugs me about this whas that I signed up on sunday, codes were not working. They never said before I signed up they werent working, they stated we get a discount. My first 4-5 days are without the discount that was stated as a benefit.

[quote name='Joda84']What bugs me about this whas that I signed up on sunday, codes were not working. They never said before I signed up they werent working, they stated we get a discount. My first 4-5 days are without the discount that was stated as a benefit.[/QUOTE]
so you have to let it sit for a few days b4 the code would work ? i am planning to sign up and use the code with the amazon trade in 50% off, any suggestion should i sign up right away, or just wait till last min. b4 i actually buy sth ?

[quote name='imacgod']You paid to join the ECA, not get Amazon.com codes.[/QUOTE]

Nope. I joined only to get the codes. I suspect most people did too.

[quote name='Teh Nitwit']Nope. I joined only to get the codes. I suspect most people did too.[/QUOTE]
My motivation for joining was the Amazon codes, but I gave them money to fund their organizational needs, as did you. The Amazon codes are simply available as a result of that.

The amazon codes are definitely the major incentive for most people joining here. However even the terms state that those perks are subject to change. Everyone bought in knowing that (or at least they should know assuming they can read). While it would be a shady move, the ECA could announce that the codes are gone forever today, and under the terms you would have no recourse. I'm tired of people agreeing to things and then refusing to take responsibility for their own choices. To the people who are well informed, you bought in accepting the terms and therefore you should shut the hell up. To the people who were not well informed, you are idiots who do not read the terms of contracts and agreements you enter into, and therefore should likewise SHUT THE HELL UP. But in the end it's not like the ECA is telling us that Amazon codes are gone for good.

People need to go read Sections 1c and 1e of the Terms of Membership and Membership Agreement. I'm sure few people complaining did. I guess that's a good thing since I'll have no fear of finding clients when I graduate law school.

Edit: Actually I do know how people can complain, because there will always be whiners who always complain. I guess it's the price we pay for living in a country where people are raised with the philosophy that the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is incredibly unprofessional. As far as I know, the ECA has accomplished exactly NOTHING since its inception. It's just like those joke charity organizations where 90% of the money collected goes to "administrative costs" and almost nobody gets helped by donations. The ONLY reason I signed up is that 10% off Amazon purchases was worth $20 to me. And in fact, the ECA induced people to sign up with these codes with its marketing claims of "buy just 3 games per year and your membership is paid for." So, when Amazon puts Prototype up on a one-day sale, I damn well expect to be able to use these codes to buy it. I did after all pay for the codes.

[quote name='jling84']The amazon codes are definitely the major incentive for most people joining here. However even the terms state that those perks are subject to change. Everyone bought in knowing that (or at least they should know assuming they can read). While it would be a shady move, the ECA could announce that the codes are gone forever today, and under the terms you would have no recourse. I'm tired of people agreeing to things and then refusing to take responsibility for their own choices. To the people who are well informed, you bought in accepting the terms and therefore you should shut the hell up. To the people who were not well informed, you are idiots who do not read the terms of contracts and agreements you enter into, and therefore should likewise SHUT THE HELL UP. But in the end it's not like the ECA is telling us that Amazon codes are gone for good.

Edit: Actually I do know how people can complain, because there will always be whiners who always complain. I guess it's the price we pay for living in a country where people are raised with the philosophy that the squeaky wheel gets the grease.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I just wished they either stop it completely or get it fixed permanently. I think it's the hesitation that's killing everyone here on CAG....we want to buy because the price is pretty good already but we cannot resist the extra 10% so we wait...impatiently.

I signed up earlier today figuring that maybe I'd at least get an initial Amazon code to use for Prototype. No dice.

At least the discount from GOG.com worked.

Here's what I find funny. If the ECA is such a joke organization, why would you give them your money? Because they gave you an Amazon discount code? If NAMBLA starts a similar program, are you gonna purchase a membership there, too? There are so many people around here who bash places, bash places, and bash places, but as soon as they can save three cents, they fall all over themselves to do so.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Here's what I find funny. If the ECA is such a joke organization, why would you give them your money? Because they gave you an Amazon discount code? [/QUOTE]

That was sort of the main idea of my post. Not very bright, are you?

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Here's what I find funny. If the ECA is such a joke organization, why would you give them your money? Because they gave you an Amazon discount code? If NAMBLA starts a similar program, are you gonna purchase a membership there, too? There are so many people around here who bash places, bash places, and bash places, but as soon as they can save three cents, they fall all over themselves to do so.[/QUOTE]

Well said

Also, learn to fucking read(for those crying in here)

1. Description of ECA Services. Each Member is entitled to receive discounts and other benefits on specified entertainment-related and other products and services offered by participating vendors ("Benefits").
    1. All Benefits, including, without limitation, a then current listing of participating vendors, are included in the ECA Service membership package emailed to all Members and accessible online at www.ECAmembership.com (the "Benefits Website"). To access Benefits or information related to Benefits or the ECA Service from the Benefits Website, a Member will be required to enter his or her ECA registered email address and password.
    2. Discounts and other Benefits available to Members are based upon negotiated group discounts from participating vendor's usual and customary fees, or on national or regional fees for such Product. A Member's actual savings and benefits will vary depending upon Member's location in the United States and the specific Benefit. Discounts and other Benefits available to Members may not be combined with discounts from any other discount program.
    3. All Benefits are subject to discontinuation, change, modification, improvement or substitution without notice and ECA makes no representations or warranties with respect to, and accepts no responsibility or liability for, out of date or erroneous information related thereto.
    4. ECA has negotiated with the providers of Benefits in an attempt to acquire the best possible products, services and discounts for its members.
    5. The membership fee for the ECA Service includes $19.99 (non-refundable) payable for the Member's annual subscription to the Benefits Website.

Its the first section here: http://www.theeca.com/terms :roll:

[quote name='krazyazn01']Agreed. I just wished they either stop it completely or get it fixed permanently. I think it's the hesitation that's killing everyone here on CAG....we want to buy because the price is pretty good already but we cannot resist the extra 10% so we wait...impatiently.[/QUOTE]

I understand impatience, but the people who are threatening reports to the BBB or whatever; that's just plain silly. Those kind of comments are just pure foolishness. If those people are going to be impatient, that's fine, but if they are going to be angry, be angry with themselves as they made the decision to give their money to the ECA and up until this point the ECA has not violated anything in their agreement with us members. Furthermore, the fact that they post on the boards updating people of the status of codes, shows me that they are, in good faith, working to fix the problems as expediently as possible.

[quote name='JCDenton']That was sort of the main idea of my post. Not very bright, are you?[/QUOTE]

:roll: First of all, I graduated from college with a double major in philosophy and honors humanities, while achieving a 3.92 GPA. I've forgotten more than you'll probably ever know.

Second of all, the point of my post was questioning anyone's (not yours, but hey, if the shoe fits, my mother always said to wear it) decision to join a group they apparently hate, because they can save a few pennies. That's why you're suppose to the read whole post...not one or two sentences.

For someone questioning another poster's intelligence, you have some issues of your own you should probably check into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back