12 Months Playstation Plus - $39.99 @ GAMESTOP & AMAZON

I live in Alabama and it is charging me tax in the payment options window. Anyone have any ideas on how to get around this?

[quote name='snky_pete']I live in Alabama and it is charging me tax in the payment options window. Anyone have any ideas on how to get around this?[/QUOTE]

Maybe put a fake billing address in California or something...

I've got a month left from my 3 month PSN+, and my opinion of the experience (not counting the hack/intrusion/outage) is as follows:

- I've yet to get a free game that I would have bought otherwise. The freebies alone are not worth bragging about. So far, Magic DotP was the best 'value' of the freebies during my PSN+ subscription.

- I have bought some games on sale, but not lots. So far, the discounts have yet to outweigh the cost of the subscription. I feel like if I didn't spend more money on the sale games, I'm missing the MAIN point of having PSN+.

- Cloud storage is not useful for ppl who don't need to transfer saves to another PS3.

Now before people start yelling 'troll', I will say that I wish online mp on the 360 was free, too. But MS was deviously smart to start it off as a paid service, so those of us with friends on Live will get sucked into it. PSN+, to ME, feels like Sony trying to make some $ back to help sustain an ever-growing expense maintaining servers, security, etc. Unfortunately for Sony, they cannot screw an entire fanbase by converting a once-free service to a paid-service.

Bottom line: If you spend A LOT of money on DLC and games from the PS Store regularly (more than $5-$10 per month), def get PSN+, as you will save money in the long run. If you don't, then don't bother.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']It's ridiculous that the "free" games are really only "borrowed" games.

That would be fine if the selection were even good. But in 12 months, how many of the free games would I have bought had I not had a subscription? 4? 5?

If anything PS+ costs MORE than 40 or 50 for the year, since the "sale" prices, make you spend money on tons of games you would have not considered buying at all.

Its a brilliant scheme, but where they get me is asking me to pay 50 dollars a year JUST for the ability to buy games at discount. This isn't a supermarket, 50 dollars buys a lot of full priced PSN games, almost as much as I buy in an entire year anyway[/QUOTE]
But see, no one is holding a gun to your head saying you MUST buy the games at the discount price after trying them out on PS+. For the free month I had from Sony I downloaded maybe 2-3 games and once I played them through I had no desire to own them normally.

What Sony really needs to do is give ALL gamers a decent discount on the overpriced shit on the Playstation Store. Fifteen bucks for some game I have no resell rights to that may suck balls despite all of the reviews/previews/videos I've seen out there for it? No thanks.

That's why I was ok with buying Shank from the PS Store for $5, since it seemed like an interesting title, but if it was woefully short then at least I would likely get my money's worth outta it.

The ONE thing that would get me to continue subscribing to PSN+:

Offer a big library of free games that can be "borrowed" anytime, like Netflix, instead of just one old downloadable game, one very old arcade game, one mini, etc. each month. Just saying Sony... step it up a notch for the fans!!!

Oh, and party chat. Would be nice if I can talk to my friends on the XMB and discuss what we want to play before loading the game disc.

[quote name='newtypex']As is everything involving opinions on the internet. So you're not refuting any of my "subjective" opinions? Because, to me, if that's all there is to psn+, it's not worth it. And I don't care about PSone discounts either.[/QUOTE]
you get Qore, too, which costs about 20$ a year alone. i love the Qore episodes.

Qore should be free to begin with. It's just game promotional material. I don't know anyone who would pay for it.

I'm new to the sony world and thinking about subscribing to playstation plus is there a thread or a website that shows what there offering for that month?

[quote name='bh47']
Oh, and party chat. Would be nice if I can talk to my friends on the XMB and discuss what we want to play before loading the game disc.[/QUOTE]
Still trying to figure out what the big deal is with party chat. It's obvious something must be stopping Sony from releasing it to PSN in general, yet people keep asking for it.

Personally, I just usually send a message to my friends before I pop in a game to ask what they wanna play. It takes all of 20 seconds and doesn't disconnect constantly on me like the video chat/voice chat we have now.:whistle2:#

[quote name='twztid13']they charge tax on this crap? that sucks, as i had a 40.0!$ gift card. f'ing GS & the liberal tax hounds. good grief.[/QUOTE]

You're going to bring politics into this? Fool, please.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Still trying to figure out what the big deal is with party chat. It's obvious something must be stopping Sony from releasing it to PSN in general, yet people keep asking for it.

Personally, I just usually send a message to my friends before I pop in a game to ask what they wanna play. It takes all of 20 seconds and doesn't disconnect constantly on me like the video chat/voice chat we have now.:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

Try doing that between 4 to 6 people simultaneously. Can you imagine conference calls without the "conference"?

I assume you don't have a 360, because Sony needs to catch up with their service.

[quote name='bh47']Try doing that between 4 to 6 people simultaneously. Can you imagine conference calls without the "conference"?

I assume you don't have a 360, because Sony needs to catch up with their service.[/QUOTE]
I rarely play games with that many of my PSN friends anymore and at the most I play only ONE game online right now: GTA Episodes .

I have maybe 2-3 friends who play nothing but that almost nightly, so we just message each other to ask for invites.

I have a headset but with the volume of people who scream into theirs or blast their music, so I have no desire to use it.

As for Sony "needing" to catch up with MS, that term is subjective. I liked it better last gen when each console company did their own thing and didn't try to make their consoles carbon copies of each other.

Like I said though, there has to be some reason why Sony isn't providing cross chat, whether it's that MS has a patent on it or Sony's people just can't figure out how to get it working properly on the console.

And no, I don't have or currently want a 360.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I have a headset but with the volume of people who scream into theirs or blast their music, so I have no desire to use it.[/QUOTE]

Ah. See,
1) Xbox Live has this thing called Private Party chat. So all my friends can be in it, and we don't have to listen to other people who are not inside our Party.
2) While we are playing a game, if one of our friends comes online, he can "jump" in our Party and find out what we're doing in-game, even if HE is playing a different game, a la cross-chat.
3) We never have to listen to idiots we don't know blast music, or rant and scream. Only the idiots we know.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']And no, I don't have or currently want a 360.[/QUOTE]

Why not? I'm not trying to instigate, but I got both consoles coz there are great games on both platforms. And as a gamer, I wanna play all the good stuff. I even bought a Wii just for Metroid Prime Trilogy and Zelda.

Anyway, sidetracking. If PSN+ improved, I'd keep it going.

[quote name='bh47']Ah. See,
1) Xbox Live has this thing called Private Party chat. So all my friends can be in it, and we don't have to listen to other people who are not inside our Party.
2) While we are playing a game, if one of our friends comes online, he can "jump" in our Party and find out what we're doing in-game, even if HE is playing a different game, a la cross-chat.
3) We never have to listen to idiots we don't know blast music, or rant and scream. Only the idiots we know.[/quote]
I usually make a private game as of late, so the screaming/music blasting folks are a thing of the past for me.

But as I said there's rarely more than a couple friends of mine on PSN on and they're usually off playing different games and I know I'm one to not wanna be disturbed most times if I'm playing a different game.:D
Why not? I'm not trying to instigate, but I got both consoles coz there are great games on both platforms. And as a gamer, I wanna play all the good stuff. I even bought a Wii just for Metroid Prime Trilogy and Zelda.

Anyway, sidetracking. If PSN+ improved, I'd keep it going.
I had a 360 a couple of times actually. I bought one from Gamestop when I had a ton of credit and they had a $50 or $100 gift card with it, but I returned it and they refunded my credit. I really only wanted to play a few of the exclusive titles like the Crackdown games and maybe the Left4Dead's. I'm mainly a sandbox game player, so even games like Fable II and III hold zero interest for me at this point.

I also had a RROD/E74 error 360 that I bought from a local shop for $20 and got MS to repair right at the end of it's 3 year extended warranty. I bought all of the cables and a wired controller for it, but I ended up selling it console only to someone from CL to make a 400% profit over what I paid.

I'll probably pick one up at the end of this gen, if only to buy up some cheap copies of the games I wanted to try out on it. But for now I'm ok with being just a PS3 owner.

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']It's ridiculous that the "free" games are really only "borrowed" games.

That would be fine if the selection were even good. But in 12 months, how many of the free games would I have bought had I not had a subscription? 4? 5?

If anything PS+ costs MORE than 40 or 50 for the year, since the "sale" prices, make you spend money on tons of games you would have not considered buying at all.

Its a brilliant scheme, but where they get me is asking me to pay 50 dollars a year JUST for the ability to buy games at discount. This isn't a supermarket, 50 dollars buys a lot of full priced PSN games, almost as much as I buy in an entire year anyway[/QUOTE]

Pretty much this... the only ps plus games I bought that were ever on sale were shank, hard corps and borderlands goty.

Assassins creed II wasn't a psn plus deal and some of the other stuff i bought this year was never a ps plus special either.

point being is that the full price costs of the games id have bought probably only equal out to $50 anyway and I haven't seen a free game yet that I really even wanted at all.

[quote name='bh47']
- Cloud storage is not useful for ppl who don't need to transfer saves to another PS3.[/QUOTE]

You may think that until your PS3 gets some kind of trouble and it loses all its saves. The Cloud storage is useful for EVERYONE, since you can backup your saves at any time (it was the first thing I did when I got my free month from the hacking incident). Considering how something can go wrong in the blink of an eye, it's a nice insurance to back up the saves.

I was charged tax for the PSN card and didnt even realize it. Are they allowed to charge tax on psn cards? I have never been charge tax for these types of cards before, weird. Should have bought it off amazon

I am considering this deal but have a question about PS+ - I remember a while back (before the PSN outage), that some of the PSone classics had PS+ discounts (like half price) with them.

However, since the PS store has been back up I have not noticed any PS+ discounts for PSone games (I am currently on my free month of PS+).

Does anyone know if Sony will be bringing back PS+ discounts for PSOne games? The PSOne discounts would be reason enough for me to subscribe to PS+.

[quote name='x inFAMOUS x']I'm new to the sony world and thinking about subscribing to playstation plus is there a thread or a website that shows what there offering for that month?[/QUOTE]

I think there is a thread around here for it somewhere. But if you go to the PS Blog, Sony usually announces two weeks of content at a time, usually every other Wednesday. I am pretty sure we are due for an update today, which would detail what we will get in two weeks on the August 2nd store update. Then, the next post detailing the wave of content after that would be on August 3rd. Then it's another two weeks before we get that content, and so on and so on.

And if anyone can report back as to whether or not they get 12 or 15 months buying from Amazon, that would be great.

[quote name='waldo21212']I am considering this deal but have a question about PS+ - I remember a while back (before the PSN outage), that some of the PSone classics had PS+ discounts (like half price) with them.

However, since the PS store has been back up I have not noticed any PS+ discounts for PSone games (I am currently on my free month of PS+).

Does anyone know if Sony will be bringing back PS+ discounts for PSOne games? The PSOne discounts would be reason enough for me to subscribe to PS+.[/QUOTE]

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287798

One of the best kept threads on the site

fuck it. Haven't been impressed with it so far but the recent 50% off sale has me hopeful for the future. At 3.33/month I'll take the gamble. Thanks OP!

Edit: Since I'm still in my free month, I'll probably wait to activate it in case there are a couple crap weeks. This way I'll have the discount, but be able to activate it when there's something I actually want.

Another question - if I buy this now, is there an expiration date if I want to wait to activate it until later?

[quote name='mtxbass1']Can anyone confirm they are getting the 15 months instead of 12 like was posted earlier in the thread?[/QUOTE]

I updated my post, but I only got 12 months, not 15 months, when I applied my code.

Rather than post a new thread I figured it would be best to bump this one.

Amazon has the 12 month PS+ codes available again for $39.99. I was browsing for some cheap downloadables when I saw it on the top purchased list. Figured it would be worth letting everyone know about again. I will also post this in the PSN thread for those who might miss it here.

Here's a link for those that don't want to scroll back to the OP.

http://www.amazon.com/Playstation-P..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1F00PWSZDGKN6S1VP3Z5

Seems long but I can assure I just copied the link right out of my browser.

so ive read that this can be shared with friends-but there wasn't much info- i think they said the only thing was that avatar items couldn't be shared.

any one doing this and knows how it actually works
cuz im not sure i want it by myself but if i can get at lest one friend to pitch in that id really think about it.

thanks for any info

Stupid question. I still have 9 months left for my current ps+. If I get this, does it stack onto my current months, therefore giving me 21 months...?

Ah, good to know this can be found discounted online! I'll probably wait until the PS Vita launches to see if PS+ will have added benefit with both consoles.

I'm in. I'm now extended through to about Christmas 2012 after original 15 months, PSN downtime extension, and this deal. The no-additional-charge games and discounts have been well worth it for me.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I believe it stacks onto your existing sub. I specifically recall a PS Blog rep saying this[/QUOTE]

I've bought additional subs and can confirm you can stack. I'm good through 2013.

[quote name='Donut2922']Gamestop deal is now dead[/QUOTE]

It has been on and off since I originally posted the deal, keep an eye on it.

39.99 for playstation plus?!
tumblr_locdnqxnGQ1qb5p8v.jpg

bread's done
Back