$13 for wireless access point (allows DS online play if you have a regular router!)

masterh

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
In two weeks, Mario Kart DS arrives. Now, I don't know any details re:Nintendo of America's wi-fi rollout, but according to the Nintendo's European website, the wi-fi adaptor won't even be available until 10/25 and will cost 30 pounds. That's like, ten thousand American dollars. And you can only get it through Nintendo's website, which will probably take at least a century to ship.
This is unacceptable.
Luckily, if you happen to have a regular old wired router (and a high speed internet connection), there is an extremely inexpensive solution that you can grab today so's you can start playing MK:DS (ROTFLOL) *online* the very day you own a copy. Check it.

$13 wireless access point:
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10314422&loc=101&sp=1

Caveats: to get free shipping, you must add another $12.01 to your cart. And they may or may not charge you sales tax. If you wait a few days, there'll probably be a 5% - 10% coupon, but then again, you want this thing at your door the day that Mario Kart comes out... don't you?

If anyone wants to buy that wireless access point from me, I'll sell it for a little less then whatever buy.com is selling it for shipped. I bought it but I dont even need it since my router which was claimed not useable with nintendo wi-fi actually works so.....PM me if interested

EDIT: Pending transaction with 111111

Sorry for the lame question, but I'm clueless when it comes to wireless networking. Someone on the first page mentioned ports labeled WAN and LAN, but I don't have either on the back of my wired router.

My question is, what do I need to connect my wired router to the wireless access point? The back of my wired router only has one cable input, a usb input, and an ethernet port so I'm not really sure how the two devices connect.

Does anyone know if the one that Buy.com is selling is the 1 antenna or the 2 antenna version?

*edit*

Also, does anyone know if this can be used as a wireless bridge directly connected to my consoles (Using the 2 antenna version and the WAP11 hack), or will a computer/switch need to be in the mix?

From what I can tell, there is a hack that allows for better access to various functions, the most touted of which is a boost in power. Another is setting it's mode to Access Point, Bridge PtoP/PtoMP, or Client. The Client mode seems to be what I desired most, the ability to simply plug this into my console (with a crossover cable) to get online, but I have no idea if it's that simple, or if it would require some kind of software to be run on whatever is plugged into it.

On the whole, it seems pretty attractive, but the single antenna version of the Access Point uses a different chipset and can't be hacked this way, which is why I'm asking which one people are recieving from buy.com.

If anyone would care to look into this further, most of the webpages focus on the linksys WAP11. I don't know why, perhaps it was it was the first one with this chipset to be hacked.

/* edit */
I wouldn't count on the bridge mode to work with anything other than the same kind of device, so you would need at least 2 of these I think.

[quote name='eurenix']Does anyone know if the one that Buy.com is selling is the 1 antenna or the 2 antenna version?

the one I got was the one antenna v2 model - not flashable with the wap11 hack firmware. But... flashable with SMC2671w firmware - which enables client mode and repeater mode - I have to get a crossover cable today to see if it's gonna work - firmware flashed fine though.

[quote name='eurenix']From what I can tell, there is a hack that allows for better access to various functions, the most touted of which is a boost in power. Another is setting it's mode to Access Point, Bridge PtoP/PtoMP, or Client. The Client mode seems to be what I desired most, the ability to simply plug this into my console (with a crossover cable) to get online, but I have no idea if it's that simple, or if it would require some kind of software to be run on whatever is plugged into it.

On the whole, it seems pretty attractive, but the single antenna version of the Access Point uses a different chipset and can't be hacked this way, which is why I'm asking which one people are recieving from buy.com.

If anyone would care to look into this further, most of the webpages focus on the linksys WAP11. I don't know why, perhaps it was it was the first one with this chipset to be hacked.

/* edit */
I wouldn't count on the bridge mode to work with anything other than the same kind of device, so you would need at least 2 of these I think.[/QUOTE]

Where can I find info on this? Would I be able to plug it into my PS2 as well as use it for the DS? I'm waiting for mine to arrive.

Does anyone have an access point they no longer need? If so I have a little under $13 I could pay for it if you wanted to sell it to me. If anyone's interested, just let me know. Thanks!

[quote name='okwordyoda']Sorry for the lame question, but I'm clueless when it comes to wireless networking. Someone on the first page mentioned ports labeled WAN and LAN, but I don't have either on the back of my wired router.

My question is, what do I need to connect my wired router to the wireless access point? The back of my wired router only has one cable input, a usb input, and an ethernet port so I'm not really sure how the two devices connect.[/QUOTE]

Is that actually a router or a cable modem?

I just wanted to thank the OP again... I got this today and it works GREAT! :D It's so fun to be playing MK with people online... even if I do suck horribly ;)

[quote name='badboysean']wait ..... You can play MK online against other people on your DS?? As in not just wirelessly linked to someone next to you?[/QUOTE]

Whoa where have you been? Yeah it's an internet online game. You can play people from the UK and Japan and all of that
go to NintendoWifi.com and read up

Does anyone know if there is free shipping on the access point at Buy.com?

Also I'm still open if anyone is selling their's that they no longer need or just haven't found use for.

Just ordered one . Anyone know the range on how far I can be to connect. I will be using the WAP on the first floor about 60 feet away as I am in the 2nd floor. Anyone try it beyond 100 ft or so? Also has anyone tried using the PSP and actually played online wifi with the PSP yet using this belkin device?

Whats the difference between a wireless access point and a wireless router?

An access point simply takes the ethernet cord signal and makes it wireless. A router allows you share the connection simultanously with other devices. I.e. I have a router with 3 computers and my ds. At any one time I can have all 4 using the connection. With just an WAP, I can only use one at a time, unless the WAP is connected to a router.

Just ordered one . Anyone know the range on how far I can be to connect. I will be using the WAP on the first floor about 60 feet away as I am in the 2nd floor. Anyone try it beyond 100 ft or so? Also has anyone tried using the PSP and actually played online wifi with the PSP yet using this belkin device?

That's pretty much dependent on your house. If you had it set up outside you could get well above that range you listed. But the various materials that comprise your house and other factors really alter that range. I don't have the Belkin, but I do have a netgear wireless router. I have my router on the second floor of my house and I can play almost everywhere in the house, not a perfect signal, but good enough for play. If I had to guess I'd say you'd be able to play in a good portion of your house. I'd also assume that the PSP would have no problem connecting. But, like I said I don't have the Belkin.

I should really get one of these, since I don't have a wireless router, and I asked for Mario Kart DS and Animal Crossing: Wild World for Christmas... along with Guitar Hero and Half- Life 2! :D

I just got the WAP to use with mario kart when I can for access point it finds it but when I test the connection it fails giving me error 52000. someone stated to lower the date rate to 1-2 mbps. I cannot find where to lower the data rate to. anyone help. I looked everywhere in the belkin manager nothing about changing the data transfer rate

I'm also having the same error and don't know how to get my computer to manage the access point since it isn't connecting to it wireless since I have a wired router. I tried putting the access point IP in manually, but no luck.

Umm... there's computer setup required? I just plugged the WAP in, loaded up Mario Kart, and that was that. No problems whatsoever.

Hmm, well I seem to have upgraded to the 52001 error. :) I can get the computer to find the access point in the belkin configuration, but when I try putting in the password to connect it won't let me. Its weird cause this router doesn't seem to be a bother for things like the Xbox and such.

Finally got it to work last night. For the IP addy I had to +1 to the last digit of the IP address. strange but it worked. I also used the browser for the PSP. Anyone know of any games that actually use the wifi feature for psp. I tried 6 psp games last night and they were all peer to peer games no game had the wifi feature to play with people in other states?>

In the DS itself. I forgot if i put the IP from my PC or from the WAP itself. But either way lets say the IP is 192.168.1.12. I put in the DS 192.168.1.13 as the IP. Also I manually entered all the info in. Please post whatever questions I was sitting in frony of my pc for 2 hours last night setting it up and when that connection test OK =)

Just set the WFC settings in Mario kart itself . theres 3 connections you can setup in the system. the manual and such should walk you through this part.

Yeah, everything except the DNS settings. :) I'm trying to get that figured out though. I'm hoping that posting on Nintendo's forum may lead to something. I was trying to find my router's booklet, but no luck. Though I can access it here on the computer so I should be able to figure it out.

You can usually get the dns stuff in -start- , control panel, network connections, *properties* of your LAN, go into the TCP/IP. dns stuff should be in there

Question: If I have two network cards on my pc, I can use one of them to send the connection to this?

And, wouldnt it be better in the long run to go with a g router as we dont kno what the consoles will be?

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']Hmm, well I seem to have upgraded to the 52001 error. :) I can get the computer to find the access point in the belkin configuration, but when I try putting in the password to connect it won't let me. Its weird cause this router doesn't seem to be a bother for things like the Xbox and such.[/QUOTE]

I got the same problem as you, this blows.

I just hooked mine up this morning, and I can't get it to work. The connection test on the DS works fine, but it takes several minutes to connect to the match selection screen on MK:DS. No matter what I pick (Regional, Worldwide, etc.) the game just sits there, searching for opponents without finding anyone. At first when I hooked it up, I got an error 85020, but now I don't get an error, it just sits there searching. Any ideas on what the problem might be?

It should give you an error if it can't connect to Nintendo's Wi-Fi service. MK:DS may take a few minutes to find opponents, depending on how many are using the service at a time... I'd leave it running for 10-15 minutes and see if it can find any opponents.

[quote name='masterh']In two weeks, Mario Kart DS arrives. Now, I don't know any details re:Nintendo of America's wi-fi rollout, but according to the Nintendo's European website, the wi-fi adaptor won't even be available until 10/25 and will cost 30 pounds. That's like, ten thousand American dollars. And you can only get it through Nintendo's website, which will probably take at least a century to ship.
This is unacceptable.
Luckily, if you happen to have a regular old wired router (and a high speed internet connection), there is an extremely inexpensive solution that you can grab today so's you can start playing MK:DS (ROTFLOL) *online* the very day you own a copy. Check it.

$13 wireless access point:
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10314422&loc=101&sp=1

Caveats: to get free shipping, you must add another $12.01 to your cart. And they may or may not charge you sales tax. If you wait a few days, there'll probably be a 5% - 10% coupon, but then again, you want this thing at your door the day that Mario Kart comes out... don't you?[/QUOTE]

Just got my DS and im curious exactly what that link takes you to. Its out of stock so it automatically redirects you to the homepage.

Anywhere else to buy the cheap wifi adapter?

edit: is this thing supposed to be a cheap replacement for the nintedo usb wifi? Or something else ..

bread's done
Back