$139.90 Nintendo DS w/ dead pixel at TRU

nachzeher

CAGiversary!
Feedback
121 (100%)
Okay, very weird situation here.

I was at a TRU earlier and I saw a couple of DS's marked at $139.90. Naturally I was excited, but when I asked the cashier for one (they were behind a glass case), he said that those Nintendo DSes had dead pixel(s), hence the discount. I assume they're opened.

There were two of them. DSes with dead pixels didn't sound too attractive to me, so I passed. Major YMMV, give your TRU a call before making the trip down. If you can accept a dead pixel to save $10, more power to you.

I don't have a receipt, or a picture, so I can't prove it. You can choose to ignore this thread. Don't think this is a deal? Don't post, let it drop. Refrain from flaming as I'm just reporting what I see.

Might have been worth picking up then calling nintendo to have them fix it since it is definately under warrenty. I don't know if they charge you to ship it to them though, and it is a lot of hassle to save a few bucks, but still it's something to consider.

I was in EB last night and in 10 minutes 2 DS were returned for dead pixels. The people at the store took them in and marked them as 'dead pixel' but they are still selling them at full price because ' someone will buy them'. I would not want one.

mmmmmmm......sounds like an epidemic. I think I'll hold off on the DS purchase until Nintendo gets all the kinks out with the next production run.

[quote name='dsullo']I was in EB last night and in 10 minutes 2 DS were returned for dead pixels. The people at the store took them in and marked them as 'dead pixel' but they are still selling them at full price because ' someone will buy them'. I would not want one.[/quote]

Ah, good old EB.

Ok lets do a mini review here
Ps2 launch buyers got a system that had DRE problems (although I never had a problem)
X-Box launch buyers got the Thompson drive.
And now it seems buyers of the DS are getting dead pixels.
Why do people continue buying systems at launch? It's not like there are a bunch of good games available at the launch.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Personally a dead pixel would just bug the shit out of me and I wouldn't be able to play at all.[/quote]

LCD screens occasionally have defects, sometimes they don't catch it on QC, and they just happen upon packaging and what not, but nintendo claims it's a 'small' amount... truth or not.. *shrug*

just like LCD monitors. you can get a dead pixel on them if you are unlucky, but you can't return the LCD back to the manufacturer or the store, unless there are more than 6 dead pixels on the screen. if you are stuck with 1 right smack in the middle of your viewing area, you are stuck with it forever.

at least nintendo is being nice to accept the DS with 1 dead pixel and try to repair it for you.

but it's not kosher for EB to resell a DS with dead pixels for full price and not tell anyone about it.

[quote name='jw1976']LCD screens occasionally have defects, sometimes they don't catch it on QC, and they just happen upon packaging and what not, but nintendo claims it's a 'small' amount... truth or not.. *shrug*

just like LCD monitors. you can get a dead pixel on them if you are unlucky, but you can't return the LCD back to the manufacturer or the store, unless there are more than 6 dead pixels on the screen. if you are stuck with 1 right smack in the middle of your viewing area, you are stuck with it forever.

at least nintendo is being nice to accept the DS with 1 dead pixel and try to repair it for you.

but it's not kosher for EB to resell a DS with dead pixels for full price and not tell anyone about it.[/quote]

Good post, saved me the trouble, although I was going to use laptops costing thousands of dollars as an example instead of LCD monitors :).

[quote name='screwkick']I just sold my DS on ebay for $257.

Was cool for about 2 hours, then I realized there are no games for it.

Oh well...[/quote]

Congrats....people are dumb

I almost picked one up just to make some cash....

I have 2 dead pixels. In January i will send it in for fixing OR, and i need to call on this, Nintendo will be doing a trade out program where they will take you CC # and send you a new system with a 21 day window to send in your old system. I have NO link for that info at the moment and have little time to look it up (new comics wed) but i have noticed it on a few other boards.

[quote name='Wshakspear']I have 2 dead pixels. In January i will send it in for fixing OR, and i need to call on this, Nintendo will be doing a trade out program where they will take you CC # and send you a new system with a 21 day window to send in your old system. I have NO link for that info at the moment and have little time to look it up (new comics wed) but i have noticed it on a few other boards.[/quote]

Just take it back to the store.

I work for TRU, and your store sounds pretty jacked. All returns that are of items that are defective in anyway CANNOT be put back on the floor. That means anything that is missing parts, not working correctly, and so on. All that stuff is packed up and sent back to the manufacturer.

Wow that sucks. I had heard of a few problems like that but didn't know it was so widespread. Glad I held off on getting one.

Call Nintendo and report this to them. They would be interested in what TRU is doing 1-800-255-3700 (have store information ready to give them).

[quote name='shadowrunner7240']No offese but who would knowingly pay $10 less for a defective product? I don't even think this can be classified as a deal. :?[/quote]

c'mon man, don't be rude. the OP even stated that some might not consider it a "deal," but IMO if you are being offered a product at a discounted price (regardless of reason), then it might be considered a "deal" to at least someone.

if you aren't interested, and i wouldn't be either, just move along and be cool. 8)

[quote name='organicow'][quote name='shadowrunner7240']No offese but who would knowingly pay $10 less for a defective product? I don't even think this can be classified as a deal. :?[/quote]

c'mon man, don't be rude. the OP even stated that some might not consider it a "deal," but IMO if you are being offered a product at a discounted price (regardless of reason), then it might be considered a "deal" to at least someone.

if you aren't interested, and i wouldn't be either, just move along and be cool. 8)[/quote]

I wasn't really talking trash about the post but rather the store trying to "give you a deal". Seems like they're trying to rip people off that don't know better. I can see how it didn't sound like that though.

Even CRT tv's and monitors have an acceptable dead pixel limit when leaving the factory. If you get a tv with a few dead pixels you may be told it's normal and they won't fix it.

I couldn't take the discount for a dead pixel. It would keep staring at me asking "would you pay $10 to make me go away?".

I agree with NFG, report this TRU. They shouldn't be able to do this. It's doesn't surprise me any that EB is doing it. But I wouldn't buy anything from them...and I don't.

This is one of many reasons why I don't buy 1st generation of a electronic product (PS1 overheating) even though I would have braggin rights.

[quote name='ceril']nintendo has addresses teh dead pixel issue and you can send it n for repair[/quote]

yes for a shipping fee of about $7.

[quote name='David85'][quote name='ceril']nintendo has addresses teh dead pixel issue and you can send it n for repair[/quote]

yes for a shipping fee of about $7.[/quote]
So a total savings of $3! Whoo!

Not to flame the OP, it is interesting to know that they're doing this.

[quote name='roguejedi5']This is one of many reasons why I don't buy 1st generation of a electronic product (PS1 overheating) even though I would have braggin rights.[/quote]

its possble for anything with an lcd screen to have dead pixels, phones, game systems, laptops, 1st generation or not

I don't classify this as a deal myself, but there were actually people behind me in the line who wanted to buy them. Go figure. So I thought that this deal might appeal to the few people who fall into that category.

The DS is sold out everywhere in my town and if you're desperate for some DS play, as they were, then this might be a solution.

I already said that I wouldn't pick it up myself. Saving $10 for a dead pixel isn't worth it. But there are people who might.

Anyway, I appreciate your civility in this issue. :)

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/11/24/1451248&tid=207&tid=137

In a statement issued soon after the problem came to light, Nintendo is offering to inspect and even fix the pixel problem at no cost as long as the machine is returned within the one-year warranty period. From the article: 'With a small number of Nintendo DS screens, one or two dots on the screen may appear to be 'stuck' on a particular color, such as white or red. This effect is caused when a particular pixel (the dots that make up the screen) is not working properly, even with the high quality standards set by LCD manufacturers. You will find this situation is common in many LCD devices, (PC monitors, televisions, cell phones, etc.)
____________________________________-

Do whatever you want, but $10 less isn't worth the trouble.

I'd atleast ask to see the system before I make a decision. I had two dead Pixels on my SP at launch and I was mad for about a day. Though I agree that shouldnt be selling them for only 10 bucks less, these are technically preowned products and should sell for "preowned" prices.

[quote name='dafoomie'][quote name='David85'][quote name='ceril']nintendo has addresses teh dead pixel issue and you can send it n for repair[/quote]

yes for a shipping fee of about $7.[/quote]
So a total savings of $3! Whoo!

Not to flame the OP, it is interesting to know that they're doing this.[/quote]

Hell the people working at the one near me are so dumb I can pay them $3 under the pocket and they would give me the system for like $50.

How I so hate that store.

[quote name='jw1976']LCD screens occasionally have defects, sometimes they don't catch it on QC, and they just happen upon packaging and what not, but nintendo claims it's a 'small' amount... truth or not.. *shrug*

but it's not kosher for EB to resell a DS with dead pixels for full price and not tell anyone about it.[/quote]

Who says you cannot return a tv or laptop with dead pixels? If I buy a $3000 tv and it has a dead pixel they WILL take it back.

257 my ass; They're goin' for 160; Why do people lie about ebay...I got a DS without the dead pixel, guess I'm lucky, they had the same problem with the SP and with the dust under the screen...I don't know about you guys, but I'm feelin' the DS big time, I wanna see how some of these developers utilize the touch screen

[quote name='doubledown']Junk Nintendo...glad I passed on this system[/quote]

Bitch. Name me one system that has never experienced a production defect.

Exactly.

[quote name='jlarlee']It's not like there are a bunch of good games available at the launch.[/quote]

all 6 of the launch titles are decent, don't go by either gamespots or IGNs reviews.

Besides SM64DS and feel the magic are both top-notch Need-to-own DS games.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Besides SM64DS and feel the magic are both top-notch Need-to-own DS games.[/quote]

Agreed. I have both, and I've been thoroughly happy with each one. Feel the Magic is the most fun I've had with a handheld console since Wario Ware Inc. The 3D graphics and funky feel of the game make the best use of the DS's features to date.

[quote name='jlarlee']Ok lets do a mini review here
Ps2 launch buyers got a system that had DRE problems (although I never had a problem)
Why do people continue buying systems at launch? It's not like there are a bunch of good games available at the launch.[/quote]

Nice mini review, but you left out some important information:

Nintendo will fix their problem. You're up shit creek with Microsoft and Sony.

Very important bit there.

[quote name='dserafin1986']257 my ass; They're goin' for 160; Why do people lie about ebay...I got a DS without the dead pixel, guess I'm lucky, they had the same problem with the SP and with the dust under the screen...I don't know about you guys, but I'm feelin' the DS big time, I wanna see how some of these developers utilize the touch screen[/quote]

No it's true actually. Not every auction goes for that much true, but many do top the $200 mark, and I would say that will increase after BF. If you want one get it now.

Who says you cannot return a tv or laptop with dead pixels? If I buy a $3000 tv and it has a dead pixel they WILL take it back.

Umm, the manufacturer or the reseller, that's who.

Check the fine print at places like Dell, they typically say they will accept returns only if the screen has a certain number of dead pixels, like 7 or more.

In other words, 6 or less and you're SOL.

[quote name='Sartori'][quote name='jlarlee']Ok lets do a mini review here
Why do people continue buying systems at launch? It's not like there are a bunch of good games available at the launch.[/quote]

Very important bit there.[/quote]

Sony's been fixing DREs for free for the last year and a half.

[quote name='Alpha2'][quote name='Sartori'][quote name='jlarlee']Ok lets do a mini review here

Very important bit there.[/quote]

Sony's been fixing DREs for free for the last year and a half.[/quote]

Hmm, Ps2 came out in fall 2000.. That makes it what - 2 and a half years of no repair? Do you also fail to recollect the fact that there was a little motivating factor such as a .. class action lawsuit?

Let's not forget the entire PSX fiasco.

Nintendo took under a week to issue an official announcement and offer free repair.

bread's done
Back