16:9 Setting on PS2 Games

mick16

CAGiversary!
I just bought my PS3 and had a quick question. Even though I'm selecting 16:9 on the PS2 games in the option menu, they all seem to be displaying in full frame and not filling up the screen. Am I doing something wrong? I'm outputting my video signals in 1080p on a Westinghouse 42" LCD if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='mtxbass1']...since 2004.[/QUOTE]
Exactly, he's been here as a member for one month more than myself (I lurked for months before)

12-13-06, 01:11 PM
The problem you are encountering is underscan. There are a lot of PS2 games that deliberately underscan their games in order to compensate for the overscan present in most TVs.

The developers of the game deliberately made the actual picture smaller to save lessen the burden on the PS2's processor. Why render an image 99% of people won't see on their TV?

Nobody gave you real crap, you've been here since 2004 and dont know which forum to post on for this topic, you deserve a little ribbing... I did end my first post with a ;)

[quote name='mick16']I just bought my PS3 and had a quick question. Even though I'm selecting 16:9 on the PS2 games in the option menu, they all seem to be displaying in full frame and not filling up the screen. Am I doing something wrong? I'm outputting my video signals in 1080p on a Westinghouse 42" LCD if that helps.

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

it's because of the nature on how the ps2 did widescreen. Basically you have to make sure upscaling is set on full, and press the "fill" button on your westy remote (it's the one with the 2 arrows pointing left and right in a rectangle box).

Go into the games area of System (or setup I think) on the Cross-Media Bar (the same row as you'd set up the network or DVD/BR). In there, you can set the backwards compatability to full screen; as long as you have the PS3 set to widescreen it'll fill it up.

Also, don't enable widescreen on the game; I did it with God of War and it looked much worse. Thus, let the PS3 upscale and size it for ya.

Hope this helps.

Has anyone tried Dragon Quest VIII yet? You set it to "full" in the options and have your PS3 set to widescreen and that's fine? You don't mess with the widescreen option in the DQ8 game itself? Should "smoothing" (I think that's what it's called) help the game too?

Also how does DQ8 run on a European PS3 using software emulation? I thought at one time it had no issues (3 blocks on sony website) but looked back again at the european backwards compatible list and it's at 2 blocks now (meaning minor issues). This is the only game I care about to run on the PS3 when I get it, is the widescreen and software emulation working ok for the game?

Thanks for any info someone can give me.

bread's done
Back