160 Gig Maxtor HD for 84.99

[quote name='hutno']Does anyone know if this is compatible with the HDloader?[/quote]

Should be, the HD loader page says it prefers the Maxtor Brand.

Are you sure its $69.99 in store? Thats pretty cheap. Anyone know how to plug the HD(not sony 40gig) into the ps2? Would it fit in there with the network adapter as well or no?

Any hard drive is compatible with HD Loader but not every drive is compatible with the PS2 network adapter. Some drives do not physically fit the PS2 network adapter. The only ones that fit that I know of are the Maxtor's and and the Hitachi's. Only up to 137GB of hard drive space is usable on HD loader but I believe that is due to a bios limitation in the PS2 rather than anything having to do with HD loader.

a couple things:
1.why put a bigger hd in the ps2? seems like a waste until more stuff comes out for it.
2.I'v seen adds off and on for 200 gig hd's for 109-120. possibly compusa.com and newegg.com,not positive.

guys..please start checking your local newspaper on wed,fri,sat,sun if you live in dfw

YES IT IS 69.99 IN STORE...

[quote name='Shadows916']a couple things:
1.why put a bigger hd in the ps2? seems like a waste until more stuff comes out for it.
2.I'v seen adds off and on for 200 gig hd's for 109-120. possibly compusa.com and newegg.com,not positive.[/quote]

read the second and third post in this thread..if you don't know what they're talking about do a google search

My friend confirms the compatibility of the Maxtor 160GB HD with his PS2. Only 127GB was detectable after installation with HD Loader. Does anyone know how much HD space is available with the Maxtor 120GB model in this respect?

Sizes of PS2 games range from 0.5GB to 4GB, but averages 2GB for the most part. I just want to gauge the difference in HD space vs. cost. Thanks for any input. I'm really hyped about this "backup / fast loading" technology.

[quote name='FatBoyInside']My friend confirms the compatibility of the Maxtor 160GB HD with his PS2. Only 127GB was detectable after installation with HD Loader. Does anyone know how much HD space is available with the Maxtor 120GB model in this respect?

Sizes of PS2 games range from 0.5GB to 4GB, but averages 2GB for the most part. I just want to gauge the difference in HD space vs. cost. Thanks for any input. I'm really hyped about this "backup / fast loading" technology.[/quote]

Uh well think about it... if the max is 137GB (or 127GB as you say) then the HD you asked about would be? (The answer is a 120GB).

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell'][quote name='FatBoyInside']My friend confirms the compatibility of the Maxtor 160GB HD with his PS2. Only 127GB was detectable after installation with HD Loader. Does anyone know how much HD space is available with the Maxtor 120GB model in this respect?

Sizes of PS2 games range from 0.5GB to 4GB, but averages 2GB for the most part. I just want to gauge the difference in HD space vs. cost. Thanks for any input. I'm really hyped about this "backup / fast loading" technology.[/quote]

Uh well think about it... if the max is 137GB (or 127GB as you say) then the HD you asked about would be? (The answer is a 120GB).[/quote]

I believe what he is asking about is after the program is installed on a 120 gb hd how much of the drive would actually be left for him to backup his games.

I'm not sure how big the program actually is. Best bet is too find someone who used a 120 gb hd on there PS2 n see if they remember how much space was left after they installed the progam.

Yep, notoriousxbox caught my drift. I was just hoping someone who installed a Maxtor 120GB HD with their HD Loader can chime in on the actual available GBs after all is said and done.

No biggie...

[quote name='FatBoyInside']Yep, notoriousxbox caught my drift. I was just hoping someone who installed a Maxtor 120GB HD with their HD Loader can chime in on the actual available GBs after all is said and done.

No biggie...[/quote]

I've got the Maxtor 160 GB in mine but I'd think based on how that worked it probably be about 110 GB of usable space. The maximum partition size supported byt he interface used (ATA100) is 137 GB but the HDLoader appears to use a less efficient cluster size than Windows would under NTFS or most other current operating systems under their respective formats.

As for the remaining area, there is no reason other than software (unless there is a specific PS2 BIOS issue but I've seen no evidence of that) that a second partition couldn't be supported by HDLoader. I'd really like to see that applied to offloading memory card files. This would greatly increase its value and eliminate the sole feature that makes Sony's own drive of any interest to me.

All the talk about the HD Loader has made me more curious about it. I'll google it. Also, what is the differnce between ATA100 and ATA133?
ATA133 is faster but only by a little since the best IDE HD's can only do about 60MB/s. But it's a moot point since the only drives that fit the PS2 are all ATA133.

i have a 160 gig hard drive for my ps2...but the ONLY, i repeat, ONLY reason i bought the 160 gig one was because i bought it for 72 bucks after tax and everything...i could not find a lower price for either another 160 or even a 120 gig...so, i just bought that one...if i found a 120 gig hard drive for say...65 bucks, i might have bought the 120 gig one...but i did not find a good-priced 120 gig hard drive at the time...

best thing to do, imo, is to buy it at bb, bring in the frys ad after purchase, then price match it so you can get the additional 10% off.

i did it on friday so the total cost for the hd came to about $64.

bread's done
Back