2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

dmaul1114

Banned
Can't believe we didn't have a college basketball thread yet!

Big win for WVU today, beating number 13 Ohio State by 28 on their court. Nice road win that will look good on their resume come Selection Sunday. Sure to be a nice RPI boost as well. Puts WVU at 10-2 heading into Big East play next weekend. Two losses were on neutral courts to Kentucky and Davidson--both games they should have one. Blew a 10 point lead to Kentucky and had a 4 point lead with under 2 minutes to play before Stephon Curry went crazy and won the game for Davidson.

Guess no interest in College Basketball here huh? :D

Anyway, WVU followed up that big win over OSU by starting off Big East play with a 92-66 win at Seton Hall. Big home game against UCONN coming up on Tuesday.

Elsewhere Pitt dominated Georgetown on the road, and look to be the clear favorite in the Big East. Ohio State lost again at Minnesota, St. Johns upset #10 Notre Dame, and Kansas got out to a big lead and held on to beat Tennessee by 7.

Illinois surprised me in their Big 10 opener. Maybe the year won't be as dismal for them as I'd previously thought...

I've gotta try to watch as many games as possible so I can, ahem, defend my title as bracket champion and win the pool again. :D

WVU couldn't pull it out against UCONN, losing 61-55. Close, back and forth game with the 6 point final margin being the largest lead either had.

Had a chance to tie with a 3 on 1 with a little over a minute left and took a stupid 3 which killed momentum, as UCONN got the board and score to go up 4 and that was pretty much it.

Elsewhere in the Big East Seton Hall is up 7 on Villanova with 15 to play. Could be an upset brewing, but lots of time left of course.

Got to love the parity in college basketball.

Boston College follows up their win over North Carolina with an 82-70 loss to Harvard. First time Harvard has ever beaten a top 25 team.

Huge win for WVU! Beating Georgetown on the road by 17. Have arch rival Pitt at home this weekend to try for two huge upset wins in a row.

Big win for WVU last night, beating Villanova 93-72 behind 43 points from Da'Sean Butler.

They're in good shape to make they tourney now with an RPI 15 and Strength of Schedule of 6 going into last nights game. Just need to win the games we should out of the 6 remaining and do no worse than 9-9 in conference play and they're in.

UConn is doing great considering they don't have Dyson for the rest of the season, or whatever his name was.

Still pulling for Uconn to win this one.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Got to love the parity in college basketball.

Boston College follows up their win over North Carolina with an 82-70 loss to Harvard. First time Harvard has ever beaten a top 25 team.[/QUOTE]

And then BC goes and beats Duke later on. Beat UNC and Duke. Lose to Harvard and St. Louis. Go figure.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']Pittsburgh!!! Still doesnt mean much till we get past the Sweet Sixteen[/QUOTE]

Amen to that.. I knew that Thabeet is still a little soft in the middle...

Big win for the Cards. I thought the Friars weren't going to miss all night. With UConn & Pitt still to play round 2 and Marquette's brutal schedule to end the season, Godfather Pitino & crew may have a shot at this Big East thing.

However, something tells me that Bob Thuggins is going to get U of L in the finale for WVU's senior night.

I'm just looking forward to the start of March Madness. I don't look for WVU to make much noise in the Big East tourney (likely play Notre Dame first and then Pitt if we win that game), but we're a lock for the dance so I just wnat to get on with it!

I would love to see us beat ND and Pitt though to improve seeding (plus I'm sick of losing to those bastards!) as it looks like we're in the 8/9 seed hole now and that's a tough first round game and a near sure loss to a 1 seed in the second round. I like the 7/10 seed--last 3 times we've had that seed we've made 2 sweet sixteens and an elite 8. :D

Watching Ohio State play basketball is like seeing a man stare into a mirror with a puzzled expression: He knows he is someone, but who? It is as if the Buckeyes are the Jason Bourne of the Big Ten. The team claims many identities, yet not even they can say which is the real one.
They say their a young team, then will turn around and deny it.

They have a 7-footer who will be an NBA first-round draft pick someday. However B.J. Mullens does not define the Buckeyes, in part because it's never quite clear whether they know he exists. Sometimes it seems he doesn't even know he exists!

It is not just Mullens' mysterious disappearing act that makes this team so hard to define. From game to game, even from possession to possession, they alternate between in-your-face defense and face-it-we're-not-playing defense.

Such a tough team to define but they have a five seed in the Big Ten tourney and should get an invite to the dance.

I love this time of year!

Day up upsets in the Big East tourney so far.

Depaul (who were 0-18 in the conference) beat Cincinnati. And then St. Johns drops Georgetown.

WVU takes care of Notre Dame 75-62 in the Big East Tourney. Beat them twice this year--had been I believe 1-13 against them this decade before this year.

Was a bit of a frustrating game since we were up by around 20 for a long time and then they cut it down to 8 with 3 minutes or so to play--was mostly foul shots from there out.

On to Pitt now. Tired of losing to them so hopefully the team is fired up tomorrow! Though I'll miss it at as I'll be at a concert.

Well, since my Georgetown Hoyas fell flat on their ass this year, and my Hokies are likely out of the NCAA tournament, my support is going to the state I used to live in, North Dakota. Go Bison! Go Ben Woodside! Give 'em hell!

Yep, big east tourney has been crazy--well at least yesterday anyway. The top 8 seeds made it to the quarters so no real surprises until yesterday.

Missed seeing WVU whack Pitt and the crazy SIX OT Cuse- Uconn game.

WVU should move on to the finals, Cuse has to be exhausted 6OT and this will be their 4th straight game to WVU's third since we had a first round bye.

Oops, it's only their 3rd game, they had a bye as well, article I read had it wrong. Oh well they should still be exhausted from last night! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like my Terps are going to get in (Note: did not graduate from UMD, but grew up 10 minutes from College Park), as long as 10 upsets don't happen and Duke doesn't blow them out. A10's going to get 2 teams because of shady officiating (which that tournament has had the last couple of years to get more teams in the Big Tournament) which might cause trouble, and then there's Baylor...Baylor wins, Maryland has to win. But I doubt Baylor will win.

Cleveland State baby!

Also rooting for Siena, UMD, and SU.

What a game the other night between SU and UCONN. I was exhausted at school yesterday, but it was so worth it :lol:

stayed up the other night to watch syracuse beat uconn in 6 ot and last night watched them go to 1 ot with wv, I am not a syracuse fan and normally would cheer for louisville over them but watching them battle like this i got to root for them

Over all im a Duke fan as far as college basketball goes btw

[quote name='KingBroly']It looks like my Terps are going to get in (Note: did not graduate from UMD, but grew up 10 minutes from College Park), as long as 10 upsets don't happen and Duke doesn't blow them out. [/QUOTE]

UMD is my second team as I've been in grad school there since 2002. WVU always tops since I grew up in the state and did my undergrad there. But would be great if they both made it!

Pathetic effort by WVU last night. They looked like the team that had played 6 OTs the night before. Didn't have their usual hustle and effort on the boards.

A10's getting 3 teams in from my point of view.

Xavier is a lock, Dayton is very close to being out but I still see them in, and whoever wins between Temple and Duquesne will get in

A10 will only get 2 if Temple wins. They were on the bubble before yesterday, and that win against Xavier put them over the top. Otherwise it'll be 3, but either way Dayton gets left out.

FSU kinda locked in their place as a 5 seed today, perhaps a 4. Anyone see that St. Mary's had a game last night? It just popped up out of nowhere and now most places have them in because they beat a 12-18 team a week after their Conference Tourney ended.

[quote name='KingBroly']A10 will only get 2 if Temple wins. They were on the bubble before yesterday, and that win against Xavier put them over the top. Otherwise it'll be 3, but either way Dayton gets left out.

FSU kinda locked in their place as a 5 seed today, perhaps a 4. Anyone see that St. Mary's had a game last night? It just popped up out of nowhere and now most places have them in because they beat a 12-18 team a week after their Conference Tourney ended.[/QUOTE]

Nope, Dayton and Xavier are locks and the winner of Temple/Duquesne will be the third. Now if Duquesne wins, then there's a slight shot that the A10 gets 4 in since Temple is right there on the bubble.

[quote name='Josef']Nope, Dayton and Xavier are locks and the winner of Temple/Duquesne will be the third. Now if Duquesne wins, then there's a slight shot that the A10 gets 4 in since Temple is right there on the bubble.[/quote]

No way. The A10 isn't that strong. Very week OOC schedules all around. If Duquense won, Dayton would be bumped for sure, and even if Temple won, they're resume isn't that strong. 2 teams from the A10, no more. Especially if Baylor wins, and maybe if Mississippi State wins.

St. Mary's should definitely be out now, though. Oh, and Duke's going to be 4th #1 seed because the refs will give Duke the game tomorrow.

Yeah but it is as VERY weak field in general this year. The SEC is down, the Mid Majors are down. So who knows.

There really aren't 65 deserving teams this year by past years' standards.

Duke won't be a 1 seed even with a win tomorrow. It's going to be Pitt, UCONN, Louisville and UNC--just like Lunaridi has it in the latest Bracketology on espn.com.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah but it is as VERY weak field in general this year. The SEC is down, the Mid Majors are down. So who knows.

There really aren't 65 deserving teams this year by past years' standards.

Duke won't be a 1 seed even with a win tomorrow. It's going to be Pitt, UCONN, Louisville and UNC--just like Lunaridi has it in the latest Bracketology on espn.com.[/quote]

I think you're underestimating the power of Duke being Duke. As far as the bubble goes, no Baylor, but USC just got a birth. So there goes St. Mary's. I don't really care about anyone else except Maryland. I think the Terps deserve a place. Yeah, I know they had 3 really bad losses this season, BUT they beat THREE Top Ten teams, more than any bubble team out there at the moment.

[quote name='KingBroly']No way. The A10 isn't that strong. Very week OOC schedules all around. If Duquense won, Dayton would be bumped for sure, and even if Temple won, they're resume isn't that strong. 2 teams from the A10, no more. Especially if Baylor wins, and maybe if Mississippi State wins.

St. Mary's should definitely be out now, though. Oh, and Duke's going to be 4th #1 seed because the refs will give Duke the game tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't matter how strong the A10 is this year. Dayton, as a team, is a lock. Their RPI is 29 and they're 8-4 against the RPI 100. RPI isn't everything, but those numbers are hard to ignore. Only two teams with an RPI lower than 30 have ever been left out of the tournament.

I think Maryland still gets in, but they may be one of the last teams to get in. St. Mary's gets in as well. The SEC will only get two teams in (Tenn, LSU) unless MS St. wins the tournament.

I'm still not sold on Dayton. Going into the A-10 tourney, Dayton was on the bubble in a 1-2 team conference. I think Temple took Dayton's place by winning the A10.

As for St. Mary's...their OOC schedule looks mighty weak, as does their SOS. They also had to schedule 1 game before their season finished to win an extra game because they didn't have a full schedule (mighty fishy if you ask me). I kinda think USC took their spot.

In my opinion, the first team out (not invited) will be Penn State. I just don't see the BIG 10 getting 8 teams in and I think Minnesota will get in over them.

Last 4 in:

San Diego St, St. Mary's, Creighton, Maryland

1st 4 out:

Penn St, Auburn, Arizona, South Carolina

Either way, we'll find out for sure at 6 tonight. I can't wait :D

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Well, since my Georgetown Hoyas fell flat on their ass this year, and my Hokies are likely out of the NCAA tournament, my support is going to the state I used to live in, North Dakota. Go Bison! Go Ben Woodside! Give 'em hell![/QUOTE]

Oh come on now, the Radford Highlanders are in and we're like 15 miles away from VA Tech.

[quote name='Halo05']Oh come on now, the Radford Highlanders are in and we're like 15 miles away from VA Tech.[/quote]

I guess I could root for them.

I know Travis Wells from WDBJ7 played there, and I went to high school and part of college with his brother who is a good friend of mine.

bread's done
Back