2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Duke up by 13 atm, were up by 20 at one point. Duke's going to get a #1 seed like I said because they're big showboaty jackasses, and the committee will eat it up because the media will eat it up.

Mississippi State is up right now...if they win, Maryland will probably go to the NIT because the committee hates Maryland.

I think Maryland is pretty safe. They were the first of the last four in the tourney in Lunardi's bracket.

Someone like St. Mary's probably just had their bubble burst.

Edit: Actually they're 3rd in the last 4 in now--hadn't seen the most recent update.

LAST FOUR IN
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Maryland
Creighton

FIRST FOUR OUT
Saint Mary's
Penn State
Arizona
San Diego State

NEXT FOUR OUT
Auburn
Florida
New Mexico
UNLV

Lunardi basically said there were 2 teams left and Maryland was one of them. I've seen on other boards going into the day that they were the next to last team to get in at the lowest.

Also, I'm considering making a March Madness Thread. I'd call it...

"The 2009 Thread of Madness? THIS IS MARCH!"

What the fuck is up with Cleveland State getting a 13 seed? :whistle2:( I thought they would at least be 11th or so with wins against SU and Butler. And Wake Forest playing them with a 4 seed? Dammit. Chances for an upset are looking slimmer and slimmer..

I'm happy with Cuse getting a 3 seed though. Great play in the big east tourney.

Oh yeah, Siena with the 9 seed was a nice surprise. That game is probably gonna be a toss up IMO.

So far have as the "big" upsets....

Cleveland St. over Wake Forest.

North Dakota St. over Kansas

and oh yeah...

U Dub going all the way to the Finals.

Dayton vs. West Virginia should be a hell of a game.

And a lot of these 1 vs 8/9 matches in the 2nd round could be scary for the 1 seed. I can see at least one #1 (maybe more) falling in the 2nd round.

I can see Wisconsin beating FSU in the first round, as well as Western Kentucky over Illinois.

I also potentially see Missouri making it to the Championship Game. The path is favorable, and they match-up extremely well against Memphis and U-Conn.

I was very happy to see Purdue when the Big Ten Tournament (since I'm an Alum and big fan), beating Penn State (tenchi's college), Illinois (mrchainsaw's college), and Ohio State (Dead of Knight's college). Just fun to have our rivalries. :lol:

Although I wish they didn't have to go west for the NCAA Tournament (since I see that maybe affecting them), but we'll see how it goes.

Just thought I'd drop in and boast a bit about THE KENTUCKY WILDCATS. In what should be the end of the 2009 recruiting season, Kentucky landed John Wall today. And with him; probably secured the best recruiting class of all time. I'm sure thats open for argument but regardless, next year should be very good. Good luck in '10. Kentucky- back where it rightfully belongs (here's hoping).

[quote name='jughead']Just thought I'd drop in and boast a bit about THE KENTUCKY WILDCATS. In what should be the end of the 2009 recruiting season, Kentucky landed John Wall today. And with him; probably secured the best recruiting class of all time. I'm sure thats open for argument but regardless, next year should be very good. Good luck in '10. Kentucky- back where it rightfully belongs (here's hoping).[/QUOTE]

Has John Wall's legal problems been taken care of? I hadn't heard anything.

I wonder how Calipari manages to get all these blue chippers. I can understand with Kentucky, the history speaks for itself, but Memphis and UMass?

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Has John Wall's legal problems been taken care of? I hadn't heard anything.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it amounted to much. He did get charged and I'm sure he will have to go to court but I am also willing to bet it will be amended down because it was his first offense of any kind. I think he was just sneaking into an abandoned house to get it on with a chick. I know I did worse when I was growing up :)

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I wonder how Calipari manages to get all these blue chippers. I can understand with Kentucky, the history speaks for itself, but Memphis and UMass?[/QUOTE]

I would say that the effect of school prestige has less bearing on any given baller's decision now a' days.

My guess is that the offense speaks for itself. It allows NBA caliber players to play in an NBA style offense. Thus; giving the players the best chance at getting the highest position in the NBA Draft. Offensive freedom is all that NBA caliber players want from their coach. Thats not saying the don't want to play defense. They just don't want to be scared to shoot or go one on one. One thing I can say is that there was absolutely no offensive freedom for players under UK's previous regime.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back