2008 CAG Wii Secret Santa - SIGNUPS CLOSED

BlueLobstah

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
Hey everyone...

For those of you who were around last year at this time, a CAG Wii Secret Santa project was done along with the launch of the ability to gift games to others. I wanted to gauge interest to see if CAGs were interested in doing the same this year. I already tried contacting daroga but never received a response, but if he wishes to head this up again this year I would be more than glad to assist or take over the reins otherwise.

Rules for Participating:

• Be a member on CAG since July 2007 OR an iTrader rating of 15 with no negatives or neutrals. *
    * special exceptions may be made to this rule on a case-by-case basis.
  • Ability to connect your Wii to the internet and share friend codes with others.
  • Deadline for sign-ups is by December 1, 2008 @ 11:59 PST.
  • Deadline for sending games is by December 21, 2008 @ 11:59 PST.
  • We reserve the right to refuse anyone to participate at our discretion.
General Guidelines:

• Please don't be a dick. No one wants Donkey Kong Jr. math.
  • Plan on spending at least 1000 points. You can spend more if you're feeling generous, but do not expect the same in return.
  • Try to research your Secret Santa and the games they might enjoy. Both Metacritic and this thread should be useful towards that cause.
  • You will most likely not be paired up with the same person who will gift you.
  • Don't whine about the games that you receive. The whole idea isn't to score games, but rather to help get CAGs in the Christmas spirit.
  • Remember to thank your Secret Santa!
How It Will Work:
  1. You will be paired up with another CAG within your own region in the week after the deadline for sign-ups have been passed. Please be sure you have room in your PM box.
  2. You will have roughly two weeks to send your game(s) to your Secret Santa.
  3. Update your Wii's country code to the country agreed upon in your region. This will make it much simpler for sending/receiving gifts.
  4. Once your game has been sent, let the coordinators know that your gift has been sent.

Sign-up Details:

Sign-ups will be split into as many regions as available, i.e. North America, Europe/Australia, Japan. When gifting, you can gift within your own region by having both the gifter and giftee setting their Wii to the same country, i.e. Canadians can gift to the US and Mexico, but can not gift across the pond.

The rules will be similar to last year, but with one addition. I will allow for 3 games to be listed as "not buy" to account for games that are on the VC, but are already owned elsewhere (collections, GBA, old systems). The virtual console already takes into account games that are already owned on the VC so please do not list those.

Please format as follows to make it easy on organization. Any incorrect formatting may void your entry. It takes 30 seconds to ensure that everything is correct and will save a lot of my time when I am collection the information.

CAG Username
Wii Code
Region (North America, Europe, Japan)
+ Genres Liked *
- Genres Disliked *
List of 3 games already owned but NOT owned on VC (if any). *

* are optional. If you just don't care, leave these spots blank.

Here would be an example of an entry:

BlueLobstah
0713-1668-8436-0167
North America
+ RPGs, Platformers, Strategy
- Fighters, FPSes
Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Super Mario World

In order to sign-up you must meet the qualifications listed above. If you do not meet the qualifications, please PM me and let me know in addition to any details you think might help your case (feedback from elsewhere, CAG backing, bribes, whatever...). The reason why the requirements are so high is to help protect CAGs against potential scammers, so please understand.

Approved Secret Santa Participants:
If you are not listed here, you are not signed up yet.

North America
Wolfkin
foltzie
ArthurDigbySellers
crystalklear64
blackjaw
Knoxximus
Kilraven
SpazX
hero101
beerguy961
lilboo
StarKnightX
Purple Flames
Ski Hawk
mbartholow
EXStrike
IvanHood
Strell
evergoo
kellehair
chaken
Gden

Euro-land
StinkyCheese

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Doomed']Saving points for when Nintendo decides they want my money for EarthBound. No thanks.[/QUOTE]

We didn't want you in our excluuuuuuuuusive cloughb anyway, which is the "No Dewm'ds Club," which I just created and am officially notorizing into existence with the conclusion of this digital sentence.

As for my infinitely awesome self, I'm all up ons like Donkey Kong.

Thoughts:

1) Most people last year were seen giving out 2-3 games depending on cost. I think the mean was probably 1200 points or so if you really averaged everything out. 2 SNES, 3 NES, an N64 and an NES, etc. We CAGs be gen'rus. I don't think anyone would honestly be a jerk to someone who participated and only got an NES game, but then again, we had a good number of whiners last year who claimed to know the risk beforehand.

2) I think the format last year was pretty solid in the "don't list what you want, just give some examples of what you like and the genres you enjoy." That left it more up to chance and better (I think) encompasses the spirit of giving. But again, there was that tiny army of whiners who showed up last time, so there might be room for discussion on the "let's make lists of what we want" criterion.

3) Deadline for signing up should be by ....no later than December 7th or so. That gives the overall organizer a good two weeks to set everything up, dole out PMs, etc. Also gives us time to drum up support and form more solid rules on who can and can't participate.

4) With the above in mind, I think games should be sent BEFORE Christmas, barring extenuating circumstances with users. This way, people who are going out of town can still send beforehand and not be worried about getting shafted or pissing impatient people off. I'm pointing to December 22 AT THE LATEST, but really we should check out what Zen Davis did last year for inspiration.

5) I think that if everyone sets their region to the same one, then you can gift without issue. At the VERY LEAST I know that Canadian residents can send/receive with USA peeps. I don't know if it works with UK people as well, but maybe someone should give it a shot? Then maybe we wouldn't need to divy people up between regions.

Just some preliminary thoughts.

[quote name='Strell']
5) I think that if everyone sets their region to the same one, then you can gift without issue. At the VERY LEAST I know that Canadian residents can send/receive with USA peeps. I don't know if it works with UK people as well, but maybe someone should give it a shot? Then maybe we wouldn't need to divy people up between regions.[/quote]

I don't think that will work, because of the VC being different for NA and EU.

As far as I know, people can gift within their own region. i.e. US/Canada/Mexico can all gift games to each other, but can not gift across the pond. This is why it is ideal to split it up into regions for those who aren't located in North America. Like Strell said, have everyone in NA change their country to USA, while have everyone in Europeland change their code to the UK, or something along those lines.

[quote name='Strell']2) I think the format last year was pretty solid in the "don't list what you want, just give some examples of what you like and the genres you enjoy." That left it more up to chance and better (I think) encompasses the spirit of giving. But again, there was that tiny army of whiners who showed up last time, so there might be room for discussion on the "let's make lists of what we want" criterion.[/quote]

I'm with you on, "What I want lists." The only caveat I had last year was for games people already owned elsewhere. I would like to take that into account, if possible. We obviously don't want to make this into huge want lists as that is not in the spirit of things, but I would like to be fair and at least allow for a game or two that someone already owns elsewhere. Maybe allow for 3 games that are not owned on the VC but elsewhere? Thoughts?

[quote name='Strell']3) Deadline for signing up should be by ....no later than December 7th or so. That gives the overall organizer a good two weeks to set everything up, dole out PMs, etc. Also gives us time to drum up support and form more solid rules on who can and can't participate.[/quote]

Ample time needs to be allowed for games to be gifted before Christmas. I know everyone is busy for the holidays and we need to allow plenty of time for people to dole out their gifts. I was thinking deadline somewhere along the lines of December 1, allow a week or so to partner up people, then two weeks allowed for gift giving.

A minimum threshold for giving also needs to be determined as well. Obviously don't want people sending only one NES game. Maybe 1000 points at a minimum?

I think I'm going to go ahead and update the OP with some more information in the meantime.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']

• Be a member on CAG since July 2007 OR an iTrader rating of 15 with no negatives or neutrals. *
    * special exceptions may be made to this rule on a case-by-case basis.
[/quote]

[quote name='Wolfkin']I'm in

I only have 900 pts at the moment but what the heck I'll buy some more.[/QUOTE]

Better sell that PS3 to raise some funds. :]

On an unrelated note, know this, peons: If I get you as my victim and Earthbound - by whatever magical unicorn balm upon the cold hearts of NoA - is available, YOU ARE GETTING THAT. No excuses or complaints.

[quote name='Adilink']Should we note what VC/WiiWare games we already own or does the Wii tell you if they do?[/QUOTE]

The Wii will tell you what games they have, which is a good thing.
Good luck to someone who gets me, :lol:

[quote name='Strell']On an unrelated note, know this, peons: If I get you as my victim and Earthbound - by whatever magical unicorn balm upon the cold hearts of NoA - is available, YOU ARE GETTING THAT. No excuses or complaints.[/quote]You cold-hearted beast. ;)

This was a nightmare for me last year, but hopefully it goes smoother under new management. Many Wiiware options this year as well, so that'll be good.

I'm in.

Yeah, we definitely need to note what we already have unless the Wii knows and just converts a gift you already have into points. I'd probably list some of the games I have on NES that my wife and I play (like Mario 3) that I wouldn't play on the Wii.

I think looking at what someone already has is a good indication on what type of games they enjoy. If you don't have any, you can list the genres you enjoy.

I'm against listing what you "want", I think it would be funner to have it be random and up to the gifter.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']Like I said, exceptions can be made on a case-by-case basis. Ebay feedback, or a long-term CAG member vouching for you may work as well. If you don't qualify for the member date OR iTrader rating, please PM me and we'll see if we can agree to something.

I'll vouch for you. I'm sure plenty of other brawlers would as well!

I just figured a year + 6 months should be enough to ensure that we don't get deadbeats. This is actually slightly more lenient than last year's as it went back to March instead of July. Additionally, if anyone else is interesting in assistant please PM me and let me know.[/quote]

Does itrader ratings on a makeup site count. :bouncy: :p

This would be fun to do, but I'm still a newb. :( I play with some of the vets on here though. :)

I'm in, even with Strell's warning.

Oddly enough I didnt get Sin & Punishment (last years uber geek gift), but quite enjoyed the games I received (not like Super Metroid is ever bad.).

The Wii won't let you gift a game to someone who already has it. We encountered this last year - it'll grey out the game if you try.

I honestly don't remember who I had last year. All I know is they got Sin & Punishment and something else. I got Dynamite Headdy and Kirby's Adventure - I still haven't beaten Kirby.

To ensure that everything is done in an orderly and fashionable manner, here are the sign-up details:

Sign-up Details

Sign-ups will be split into as many regions as available, i.e. North America, Europe/Australia, Japan. When gifting, you can gift within your own region by having both the gifter and giftee setting their Wii to the same country, i.e. Canadians can gift to the US and Mexico, but can not gift across the pond.

The rules will be similar to last year, but with one addition. I will allow for 3 games to be listed as "not buy" to account for games that are on the VC, but are already owned elsewhere (collections, GBA, old systems). The virtual console already takes into account games that are already owned on the VC so please do not list those.

Please format as follows to make it easy on organization. Any incorrect formatting may void your entry. It takes 30 seconds to ensure that everything is correct and will save a lot of my time when I am collection the information.

CAG Username
Wii Code
Region (North America, Europe, Japan)
+ Genres Liked *
- Genres Disliked *
List of 3 games already owned but NOT owned on VC (if any). *

* are optional. If you just don't care, leave these spots blank.

Here would be an example of an entry:

BlueLobstah
0713-1668-8436-0167
North America
+ RPGs, Platformers, Strategy
- Fighters, FPSes
Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Super Mario World

In order to sign-up you must meet the qualifications listed in the OP. If you do not meet the qualifications, please PM me and let me know in addition to any details you think might help your case (feedback from elsewhere, CAG backing, bribes, whatever...). The reason why the requirements are so high is to help protect CAGs against potential scammers, so please understand.

so what you're looking for is something like this?

Wolfkin
6084-9012-7202-6642
North America
+ RPGs, Adventure, Action
- Sports, H2H Fighters, Simulations
1. Zelda titles
2. Mario Adventures

I think +/- might make it a bit easier to read.

foltzie
0923-5866-9395-1255
North America
+ Everything but sports
- Sports
- Mega Man, Zelda, Mario

crystalklear64
8694-8489-7964-3981
North America
+ Action, Adventure, Fighting, RPG, Shooter, Platformers
- Sports, Simulation, Racing, Puzzle, Strategy, Board Game
Yoshi's Story, Super Mario 64, Paper Mario

blackjaw
0411-2994-0298-9378
North America
+ RPGs, Platformers, Action-Adventure, Fighters, Shmups
- Sports
No Mario, No Zelda, No Street Fighter

Knoxximus
1855 9016 8733 6501
North America
+ RPG, Action RPG, Platformers, Puzzlers, Racing, Shmups and a partridge in a pear tree.
- Sports and Edutainment

- No Zelda, no Mario, no Fighters.

I'm easy...and we all know what is crap and what isn't. Good luck whomever gets me...I'm tough to shop for (read: I own a LOT of VC/Wiiware titles already). ^_^

I missed out on this last year, so I'd like to do it this year.

Kilraven
1869-0961-2880-8668
North America

edit: Wow! You can tell it's Monday (or I'm a complete fuckin moron... or both), I had my frigging Wii Code in my sig the whole time.

I'm in again, might have to buy more points though.

SpazX
1183 0741 2242 4105
North America
+ Action, Adventure, Action/Adventure RPGs, Platformers, Puzzles, Shooters
- JRPGs, Sports, Shit

And as a note I'd like WiiWare more than VC as I only currently have 3 WiiWare games.

yukine
1444-6531-9995-3785
North America
+ Action/Adventure, RPGs, Strategy
- Games that can be found on 360/PS3, so exclusives for VC/Wiiware would be preferred.

Update:

Hero101
6267 7747 7182 4968
North America
+: Action, RPG games, Platformers
-: Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong Country, shooters, Sport games, Fighting games

Updated to this point.

Please check the list up top to be sure that I've added you, otherwise you are not yet signed up. To make it easier on me, be sure to follow the formatting guidelines and post any information needed as a new post, as I'm not likely to go back and look through the old posts to try and cull updated information. Also, you shouldn't need to put "bad games" in genres disliked, as it should be given that people should not be giving out bad games. But you can if you like.

bread's done
Back