2009-10 NHL Thread- Chicago Blackhawks Stanley Cup Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playoff rematch tonight - Hawks vs. Flames. Should be a good one after the 8-round shootout win by the Hawks against the Avalanche.

I'm stunned by how well Colorado played. While it's still too early to ultimately tell, I think they'll have a solid season after their disastrous one last year. I also expect St. Louis to be a strong contender. They've got some really great young talent.

Amazing comeback by the Hawks last night! I had to watch a stream of the game on the Internet (thanks DirectTV) and I turned it off to watch the football game after it was 3-0 Flames. I then saw later that it was 5-4 Flames going into the 3rd and I decided I better open the stream back up and watch it haha. Awesome game!

Yeah the boys got waxed by the Sabres tonight. Costly victory for though. Vanek got hurt and will miss "weeks" according to coach Ruff post game.

[quote name='redshadow']Wings are being brutalized right now by the sabres. Not a very happy wings fan, here.[/QUOTE]

As a Hawks fan, I'm overjoyed to see the Wings in 2nd to last place in the conference. It's not going to last, but boy it'll be fun while it does. :D

I'm also pleased to see the Wild in dead last. I hope Martin Havlat is enjoying himself. And I continue to be impressed with Colorado. They really seem to have their heads screwed on straight this season. The Kings as well.

[quote name='Matt Young']Man, the Kings never beat Detroit. So frustrating. At least the game was fun to watch for the most part.[/QUOTE]

The Wings have kind of had their number the last few years it seems. Also after getting hammered by the Sabres I expected them to at least play a couple good periods.

Nicklas Lidstrom became the eighth defenseman in NHL history to record 1,000 points. Lidstrom, the six-time Norris Trophy winner, is the first European defenseman to reach 1,000 points and the fourth Red Wing to reach that plateau, joining Gordie Howe (1,809 points), Steve Yzerman (1,755) and Alex Delvecchio (1,281). The guy has only missed like 30 games in 17 years. The teams jokes that he is a robot. :applause:

Awesome win against the Blues last night, comeback goal to force it into OT for the win.

Man I wish I could go to the Bruins game this Saturday, but I've got way too much to do.

[quote name='yukine']Awesome win against the Blues last night, comeback goal to force it into OT for the win.

Man I wish I could go to the Bruins game this Saturday, but I've got way too much to do.[/QUOTE]
And of course the Coyotes end up beating the Bruins 4-1.

Strong start to the season so far, not scoring for shit but good defense and Bryzgalov has been fantastic.

kinda let down that the Wings lost to the Avs after leading them the whole game, and allowing them to score 3 goals in the third to tie it and force the OT/Shootout.

They need to do something about Ville Leino to get him to shake off the jitters he has. He's costing us plays because he hesitates too much.

[quote name='yukine']And of course the Coyotes end up beating the Bruins 4-1.

Strong start to the season so far, not scoring for shit but good defense and Bryzgalov has been fantastic.[/QUOTE]
Most boring team in hockey, no wonder they don't draw.

[quote name='dafoomie']Most boring team in hockey, no wonder they don't draw.[/QUOTE]
How so? It's not like you get to see them play very often. Are you basing this off one game?

[quote name='dafoomie']Most boring team in hockey, no wonder they don't draw.[/QUOTE]

The Coyotes draw, but half their attendance is people on vacation or transplant residents who root for the opposing team.

The Yotes seem to know how to hurt people. Yikes the one on Nash probably looked worse than it was since he went down awkwardly. That punch was nasty. They other dude didn't have a chance. Tippet has them moving in the right direction.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u1zaZe_qP4

Nice move by B's GM Peter Chiarelli to move Kobasew, collect a pick, & free up cap space.

A.O with a sick move. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1a_wOkrAYY

Tomas Holstrom, Kirk Maltby & Kris Draper are playing together in Detroit and have been dubbed the "No Kidding" line. Since they are all 36+ in age. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting that you posted that video, considering Weller was just traded to the Bruins (although from the Wild) but yeah, I'm liking Tippet as a coach so far...

[quote name='saturnotaku']The Coyotes draw, but half their attendance is people on vacation or transplant residents who root for the opposing team.[/QUOTE]

Tell me about it, attendance can get pretty low but there are certainly enough hockey fans in Arizona. But the people who live here still have loyalties to their old teams, which is fine considering the limited success of the Coyotes; they need to show them they are worth watching to draw those people in.

Anyway, hopefully they can stay here but I have my doubts considering the economy. I'm just going to watch every game and enjoy them while I can. Not sure where daf is coming from saying they're the "most boring team in hockey", when they always play with this energy on the ice that can be very entertaining to watch.

[quote name='yukine']Interesting that you posted that video, considering Weller was just traded to the Bruins (although from the Wild) but yeah, I'm liking Tippet as a coach so far...[/QUOTE]

Oh my what a dumbass move by me. I didn't even check the date on the video. Someone emailed me the link so I presumed it was recent. :dunce:

Hows my boy Robert Lang doing out there?

[quote name='yukine']Anyway, hopefully they can stay here but I have my doubts considering the economy. I'm just going to watch every game and enjoy them while I can. Not sure where daf is coming from saying they're the "most boring team in hockey", when they always play with this energy on the ice that can be very entertaining to watch.[/QUOTE]
They trap, and trap, and trap, and trap some more, its their identity. They'll win more games that way but its not entertaining hockey to watch. Not that anyone saw Saturday's game in Phoenix since it wasn't televised there.

On Saturday they drew 9,162. On Thursday they drew 6,899. That type of hockey is not going to get people interested in the sport. I don't think they're leaving Phoenix anytime soon though, unless they can find a way to break the lease without paying the city $750 million.

LOL, so much for NY's Win streak.

Edit:

Nice win Kings, great job undressing the SARS.

The Kings snapped their 3 game losing streak and split their road trip 3-3. Hopefully, they can continue their success against Dallas when they play again Thursday.

[quote name='dafoomie']They trap, and trap, and trap, and trap some more, its their identity. They'll win more games that way but its not entertaining hockey to watch. Not that anyone saw Saturday's game in Phoenix since it wasn't televised there.

On Saturday they drew 9,162. On Thursday they drew 6,899. That type of hockey is not going to get people interested in the sport. I don't think they're leaving Phoenix anytime soon though, unless they can find a way to break the lease without paying the city $750 million.[/QUOTE]
Ah, yeah you're right... a casual viewer tuning into a Coyotes game isn't going to find it very exciting. I've come accustomed to it and don't find it boring at all, as long as it means winning games, which so far has been effective against much better offensive teams.

Attendance is very inconsistent like that, depending on who the Coyotes are playing at the time. It's going to be packed Thursday because they are playing Detroit, lots of Wings fans here. As well as against the Kings. I'd rather it be packed with Coyotes fans, but hey I guess more asses in seats is better than none at all.

Man I hope not, I like this team and I feel they can still establish a fan base with more success. I do understand where the other side is coming from though, Canadian hockey fans do deserve another team.

Quebec is definitely getting a team from somewhere in the next year or two if they build that proposed 20,000 seat arena so hopefully a local owner comes through for Phoenix. If not, the $750 million should be enough of a deterrent for now unless they can get out of it through bankruptcy. There are other teams in the league that could be sold and moved. Florida would owe Broward County about $180 million if they moved, Atlanta would be on the hook for something too but nothing near $750m.

[quote name='dafoomie']Quebec is definitely getting a team from somewhere in the next year or two if they build that proposed 20,000 seat arena so hopefully a local owner comes through for Phoenix. If not, the $750 million should be enough of a deterrent for now unless they can get out of it through bankruptcy. There are other teams in the league that could be sold and moved. Florida would owe Broward County about $180 million if they moved, Atlanta would be on the hook for something too but nothing near $750m.[/QUOTE]
I really hope Canada gets another team. Now I was still young when it happened but what caused the Nordiques to move in the first place?

[quote name='Nifty_Shark']I really hope Canada gets another team. Now I was still young when it happened but what caused the Nordiques to move in the first place?[/QUOTE]
Combination of factors. Biggest reason was that they couldn't build a new arena to replace the 60 year old Colisee. The new CBA that favored the players coming out of the 95 lockout was another factor, and of course the Canadian Dollar being worth so little at the time was a big deal too. All of those things have changed recently, support for the team was always very strong there.

I think they get a team the very next offseason after they break ground, or at least finalize their plans. Bettman told them they're at the "top of the list" when that happens. Theres already a group there looking for a team to buy and move. If the new arena goes forward, its a lock.

Detroit needs to start pulling their heads out of their asses. We prove we can do it when we beat teams like the Caps and the Blackhawks, but then we play like shit against teams like the Avs, or even the blues.

Went to the Bruins/Preds game tonight, they're going to face some adversity without Savard and Lucic but they'll be a better team for it down the road when they come back. The kids they called up looked good.

I'm sure they are going to be very careful with Toews. The Nucks got hosed by the refs. There is no way that play should have been whistled dead. It was a good clean hit and you save them a goal because they are too busy trying to punch Mitchell instead of playing defense.

[quote name='TC']I'm sure they are going to be very careful with Toews. The Nucks got hosed by the refs. There is no way that play should have been whistled dead. It was a good clean hit and you save them a goal because they are too busy trying to punch Mitchell instead of playing defense.[/QUOTE]

Was there a whistle before the scoring opportunity? I didn't hear it, and obviously the 2 Vancouver players didn't either because they were trying to stuff the net in front of Niemi.

[quote name='shieryda']Was there a whistle before the scoring opportunity? I didn't hear it, and obviously the 2 Vancouver players didn't either because they were trying to stuff the net in front of Niemi.[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLbLiGXqHIA

That replay pisses me off everytime I see it. As a fan of hockey the refs blowing that play dead just makes it that much easier for the rest of the idiots around the league to keep attacking guys after good hits. Hell you might even save your team a goal.

My friend stopped by a few hours before the Kings game and said, "Hey, let's go to the game!" He had vouchers for free tickets. I wish I had brought my camera, because we had pretty good seats. That was a fun game except for the 3rd period where the Kings shit the bed and went from a 4-1 lead to a 4-4 tie. Thankfully, LA won in overtime, and we went home happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back