2009 MLB Discussion Thread

I'd be more inclined to believe the dude saying test me 4 times a year and ban me for a year if I fail than the dude going "talk to the union"

[quote name='craven_fiend']Thats good to hear about Ellsbury and Ortiz. Hopefully they can contribute a lot to the team. Drew's back hopefully just means a few games off a week, to let Kotsay and Baldelli get some games played. The WBC can't get here soon enough, I need some baseball.[/quote]

Kotsay is out for the first two months of the year. I would guess either Jeff Bailey, Chris Carter or Brad Wilkerson takes his place.

[quote name='ph33r m3']Papi saying ban people for a year? Yeah his ass should be banned too...that dude roid's up....[/QUOTE]

HAHAHA ROFL! Yeah roided up on cheese burgers and Maine lobsters. Seriously that cracked me up dude.

Don't forgot him loading up on the big pappi salsa that was heavily marketed a couple years back.

IMO if he did or didn't use steroids, the comments he made is a great PR move. If he didn't use, he made a statement that he wants the league cleared up. He is the first big star to be so aggressive against it and he can help get the union to allow for tougher testing/penalties. If he did use at some point, he at least got any attention off of himself. When palmerio took the tough stand vs canseco at the congressional hearings, no one thought he was juicing.

I was never a fan of the signing of JD Drew. The guy had impressive numbers but has had a history of injuries. I'm still not a fan of Drew. Sure he came through on some situations last season, but I don't care if injuries are out of your reach or not, you sign a big ass contract, you better be available for all 162 games + the postseason. There should be clauses in these contracts that would reduce a players salary if he were to miss a certain amount of games.

The Red Sox do have a decent roster of outfielders. If Drew is already having a past injury acting up, I say sit him the first month. Money wasted sure, but I'd rather have a healthy Drew more towards October than I would one sitting on the IR because he can't get past his nagging injuries.

Perhaps I am overestimating the extent to his injury, for all we know he will be healthy all 162 games. But unless this guy produces career highs this year, I would like to see the Red Sox cut ties with him simply because he is the Tracy McGrady of baseball. The talent is there, but you can't guarantee he won't be on the injured list every month.

I'd also like to see Lugo go. I was hoping he was going to be cut this offseason but unless they make a last minute move before the end of spring training he will be on the roster (hopefully as a backup). If Lugo loses the starting job, you can almost guarantee he will be dealt with by the trade deadline.

Epstein has made some good moves in his stint with the Red Sox, but as of late I haven't been crazy on some of his moves. Drew and Lugo being the two big examples. Dealing Hanley Ramirez I was fine with, because you brought in Mike Lowell and Josh Beckett, both who played big contributions to the Sox last World Series.

[quote name='gamer4432']I was never a fan of the signing of JD Drew. The guy had impressive numbers but has had a history of injuries. I'm still not a fan of Drew. Sure he came through on some situations last season, but I don't care if injuries are out of your reach or not, you sign a big ass contract, you better be available for all 162 games + the postseason. There should be clauses in these contracts that would reduce a players salary if he were to miss a certain amount of games.

The Red Sox do have a decent roster of outfielders. If Drew is already having a past injury acting up, I say sit him the first month. Money wasted sure, but I'd rather have a healthy Drew more towards October than I would one sitting on the IR because he can't get past his nagging injuries.

Perhaps I am overestimating the extent to his injury, for all we know he will be healthy all 162 games. But unless this guy produces career highs this year, I would like to see the Red Sox cut ties with him simply because he is the Tracy McGrady of baseball. The talent is there, but you can't guarantee he won't be on the injured list every month.

I'd also like to see Lugo go. I was hoping he was going to be cut this offseason but unless they make a last minute move before the end of spring training he will be on the roster (hopefully as a backup). If Lugo loses the starting job, you can almost guarantee he will be dealt with by the trade deadline.

Epstein has made some good moves in his stint with the Red Sox, but as of late I haven't been crazy on some of his moves. Drew and Lugo being the two big examples. Dealing Hanley Ramirez I was fine with, because you brought in Mike Lowell and Josh Beckett, both who played big contributions to the Sox last World Series.[/quote]

Man, I couldn't agree with you more about Lugo. I'm thinking he'll be a backup to Lowrie, who I think could be great in a couple of years. As far as Drew goes, I'm pretty much with you there too. Drew is one of those guys that you almost know is going to spend at least a month on the DL with something. He's just a magnet for injuries. When he's healthy, he's a really good player. Not great, but really good. However, the whole key there is "when he's healthy."

[quote name='gamer4432']The Phillies did. Whats that got to do with the Red Sox GM moves?[/QUOTE]

didn't the Red Sox make it to the playoffs? I believe if your boys didn't have the injuries they would have made it..

[quote name='DJSteel']didn't the Red Sox make it to the playoffs? I believe if your boys didn't have the injuries they would have made it..[/QUOTE]

Injuries and lack of production. JD Drew again is an example. He only had one season where he hit 100+ RBIs, the year before he went to the Red Sox. Since then he hit 64 in each of his 2 seasons. A respectable number, but something that the Red Sox don't expect from a player making $14 million a year. But I don't put all the blame on Drew for lack of production. Most of the blame should be put on Varitek who had a disaster of a year hitting wise. The man really screwed himself this offseason expecting he will go for a blockbuster contract with another team. He could have made $10 million in arbitration, yet declined it and accept a $5 million deal. Remember the episode of Seinfeld where George decides to turn down NBC's offer for their pilot to get a better deal? Thats what Varitek did and came out of it just like George, worse off than he had planned.

I hope Varitek rebounds this year and I do wish to see him end his career in Boston. I've been following him for years as I think he is a classy player. But if anyone disappointed last year, it was him.

The problem I have with Lugo is that he is pictured as this primetime defensive player. He isnt. Alex Gonzalez, who only played a year with the Red Sox was the guy I was hoping the Red Sox would have stuck with, but they pulled a Yankee move and decided since a big name guy like Lugo came on the market lets drop a good thing and go with him. Lugo has committed 35 errors in 2 seasons, last season he only played 88 games and managed to pull off as many errors as his first season where he played 147 games. A SS is prone to commit more errors, but I just dont like Lugo.

Gonzalez hasn't done any better outside of Boston, in fact he commits more errors than Lugo but comparing each player in Boston, Gonzalez was easily the better defensive choice.

Wait a minute. You're telling me that despite Penny being a fat lazy out of shape slob virtually the entire time he was with the Dodgers (not once did he report in shape), despite being a guy that won't help instruct young guys (which the Dodgers have a ton of), despite not bothering to attend team meetings unless he feels like it, despite not playing the last few years because of phantom injuries, he's going to talk shit about people on the Dodgers not being as supportive as he felt they should have?

Are you fucking serious?

I hope he chokes on a drumstick that he tries to eat in one bite while sitting on the Sox bench because he's "hurt". I can't wait for the first time that mystery blister/fingernail/whateverhemakesupthatday to suddenly flare back up in the 2nd half next year.

Lugo, Penny, Drew. What is it with the Sox buying up overrated former Dodgers?

Last edited by a moderator:
How come people fail to mention the twins when they think of low payrolls and winning records? Being division champs in 02-04, 06, and almost winning last year (bs tiebreaker game) is saying something. I'm not being bias just because I am a twins fan, but just because the teams that got mentioned (rockies, rays, marlins) have only had one good season in the past >5 seasons. Consistancy is something the twins have, while other clubs don't.

lol, sorry for the rant. baseball is just fun to talk about XD

[quote name='speedracer']Wait a minute. You're telling me that despite Penny being a fat lazy out of shape slob virtually the entire time he was with the Dodgers (not once did he report in shape), despite being a guy that won't help instruct young guys (which the Dodgers have a ton of), despite not bothering to attend team meetings unless he feels like it, despite not playing the last few years because of phantom injuries, he's going to talk shit about people on the Dodgers not being as supportive as he felt they should have?

Are you fucking serious?

I hope he chokes on a drumstick that he tries to eat in one bite while sitting on the Sox bench because he's "hurt". I can't wait for the first time that mystery blister/fingernail/whateverhemakesupthatday to suddenly flare back up in the 2nd half next year.

Lugo, Penny, Drew. What is it with the Sox buying up overrated former Dodgers?[/QUOTE]

Until Penny actually pitches in a Red Sox uniform, how could one evaluate him as a Red Sox? I wasnt crazy about the signing of him, I felt the team had no need for him since we already have an abundance of starting pitchers, but Penny has yet to pitch as a Red Sox.

.... and hopefully retires there to.

Man the biggest "if" is "if" Griffey was healthy his entire career how many more HR's would he have had?

I was considering getting MLB.tv this year, but really dont wanna hook my laptop up to my tv. Anyone know if the PS3's browser will handle it? or if the ps3 could play it with that nifty program that allows netflix/hulu to run on it?

[quote name='gamer4432']Until Penny actually pitches in a Red Sox uniform, how could one evaluate him as a Red Sox? I wasnt crazy about the signing of him, I felt the team had no need for him since we already have an abundance of starting pitchers, but Penny has yet to pitch as a Red Sox.[/QUOTE]

YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH STARTING PITCHING! more arms, the better your team is off.

i wonder who is going to be the 5th. Im actually excited to see a battle between Redding,Garcia,and Livan...and even Niese. Spring Training is going to be interesting for me this year.

Manny turns down the Dodgers offer again. It was $25 mil first year, $20 mil second year as a player option.

He won't sign til a week before the season begins, when they believe the Dodgers will make a 'panic offer' to keep him.

[quote name='integralsmatic']YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH STARTING PITCHING! more arms, the better your team is off.

i wonder who is going to be the 5th. Im actually excited to see a battle between Redding,Garcia,and Livan...and even Niese. Spring Training is going to be interesting for me this year.[/QUOTE]

It's going to be Garcia. He is the front runner and all he has to do is pitch decent this spring. Redding is taking his time recovering from an injury, he will probably end up being the long man in the bullpen. There is no way Livan or Niese get the job.

On a side note, Castillo has been hitting the past two games! He is also supposedly running without a limp and looks to be in a lot better shape. I don't like this talk of him leading off sometimes and Reyes hitting third. Hopefully that never ever happens, because it's just a bad idea.

My first high def baseball game ever, and I get to see my 2 favorite teams- White Sox vs. Dodgers on KCAL. Too bad the Kings and Lakers are playing at the exact same time.

wow DR is a mess. i had them going really far in this thing. the netherlands have been looking really good in this tournament. Totally underrated right now. Well i guess the favorites have to lie with korea,japan,US and Puerto Rico.

and on that note, i wouldnt mind pedro coming back and making a pitch for the 5th spot. Redding and Garcia have looked terrible latley and Livan is actually pitching really well in his short stints. its all livan unless he really messes it up at the end of ST.

well so ill resuscitate this mlb thread in saying that the US is now 1 loss away from being eliminated again in the second round of the WBC and now Pedroia is out with a muscle strain. I can almost assume that Bo Sox fans must be somewhat anger about that. I think Pedroia will be ok in the end...but it means that he is now ineligible to play for the rest of the tournament. The US could be in trouble

in other news, Duaner Sanchez will get a shot a reviving his career with the Rays. He is going to try and resume his role as set up to Heath Bell. and Redding is shut down now so that leaves it to Livan,Garcia, or niese..and since Garcia is just getting blown up in S.T and Livan has been pitching better than Garcia...it should go to Livan..i think niese needs to make some more spring starts and may leap over livan....but livan has been pitching pretty well as of late even though he hasnt won.

im liking what im seeing from darren o day. i definitley think the kid has a great shot to make the squad.

Are the dodgers really interested in pedro? Assuming he pitches like he did in the WBC I think that would be a good thing. The dodgers have a lot talented young pitchers with big ?'s. He could anchor the staff and mentor them and reunite with manny.

[quote name='ryanbph']Are the dodgers really interested in pedro? Assuming he pitches like he did in the WBC I think that would be a good thing. The dodgers have a lot talented young pitchers with big ?'s. He could anchor the staff and mentor them and reunite with manny.[/QUOTE]

they would be the only team that would have any interest. they need a solid 5th and yet none of the guys competing for the 5th spot have been any good. I actually wish the mets brought him back. He loves it in NY and it seems like he is healthy so far. he cant be much worse than Livan and he is wayy better than redding and Garcia.

i agree. i could see him Dodger Blue. their going in to the season with Chad Billingsly as their #1. I dont know how much of an impact pitcher he will be at 1. with pedro, yeah, that guy could mentor him and kershaw to become stellar pitchers. And its not like he is expensive either. he is going to sign low...so i still dont see why teams dont invite him to camp.

[quote name='integralsmatic']well so ill resuscitate this mlb thread in saying that the US is now 1 loss away from being eliminated again in the second round of the WBC and now Pedroia is out with a muscle strain. I can almost assume that Bo Sox fans must be somewhat anger about that. I think Pedroia will be ok in the end...but it means that he is now ineligible to play for the rest of the tournament. The US could be in trouble

in other news, Duaner Sanchez will get a shot a reviving his career with the Rays. He is going to try and resume his role as set up to Heath Bell. and Redding is shut down now so that leaves it to Livan,Garcia, or niese..and since Garcia is just getting blown up in S.T and Livan has been pitching better than Garcia...it should go to Livan..i think niese needs to make some more spring starts and may leap over livan....but livan has been pitching pretty well as of late even though he hasnt won.

im liking what im seeing from darren o day. i definitley think the kid has a great shot to make the squad.[/QUOTE]

Well going into Spring Training, Garcia was the front runner to become the fifth starter. He has looked horrible though. It looks like it is now either Livans or Nieses job. I'm guessing they will go with Livan or sign Pedro, but I think Pedro is a long shot.

I personally want them to give Niese a shot. I just don't see them doing this. I think the safer move right now is to put him back down in the minors.

[quote name='DomLando']Well going into Spring Training, Garcia was the front runner to become the fifth starter. He has looked horrible though. It looks like it is now either Livans or Nieses job. I'm guessing they will go with Livan or sign Pedro, but I think Pedro is a long shot.

I personally want them to give Niese a shot. I just don't see them doing this. I think the safer move right now is to put him back down in the minors.[/quote]

yeah coming in to it Garcia looked like the man to beat but Livan came off a pretty good season of pitching over 180 innings. I think if we can get that inning eater at the back end of the rotation...it should be fine and actually save our bullpen. Yeah niese is not ready yet. he still needs more time down there. he needs to work on the looping curve and he needs another good pitch. Im actually waiting for Brad Holt to start to improve. That kid has a pretty nasty fast ball and his ceiling is higher than nieses'

i wish they would pedro a shot. he pitched so well in the WBC and he looks like he could be a 5th or a long reliever. i still would take him in a heart beat.

[quote name='integralsmatic']yeah coming in to it Garcia looked like the man to beat but Livan came off a pretty good season of pitching over 180 innings. I think if we can get that inning eater at the back end of the rotation...it should be fine and actually save our bullpen. Yeah niese is not ready yet. he still needs more time down there. he needs to work on the looping curve and he needs another good pitch. Im actually waiting for Brad Holt to start to improve. That kid has a pretty nasty fast ball and his ceiling is higher than nieses'

i wish they would pedro a shot. he pitched so well in the WBC and he looks like he could be a 5th or a long reliever. i still would take him in a heart beat.[/QUOTE]

If Pedro was looking for a cheap deal, I would agree. The Mets already threw enough money away on Pedro.

In the next couple of years don't be surprised to see clauses in player contracts about participation in the WBC. For instance, a player might get less in guaranteed money and/or possible incentive losses if they were to participate in the WBC.

[quote name='gamer4432']Youkillis and Pedroia both get injured in the WBC. Boston must love the WBC.

Thankfully, both were minor injuries.[/QUOTE]

i dont see any problem with the WBC except the way the games were scheduled and where they are played. They are played way to far from each other and they should have played this games in succession like a regular MLB schedule. These players couldnt get warmed up enough and in to game shape to be prepared for these long hauls. also the carribean teams have the luxury of Winter Ball so they were already in shape and use to long games where as the americans...once ocotober is over...they dont step on the field until Training Camp. If Pedroia and Youk and the rest of Team USA trained before the tournament.....these injuries wouldnt happen. they would be used to the grind but they are playing cold so it happens. Those two will be alright. People should be happy Youk is hitting the way he is hitting. That guy is a monster and should have another break out season this year. I dont think anyone will beat Venezeula because they still have their roster intact and they are so high energy. TEAM USA just incurred too many injuries to key players. Without Braun,Pedroia, and Youk...and not being able to replace any of the injured....Team USA is in a deep trouble.

[quote name='integralsmatic']i dont see any problem with the WBC except the way the games were scheduled and where they are played. They are played way to far from each other and they should have played this games in succession like a regular MLB schedule. These players couldnt get warmed up enough and in to game shape to be prepared for these long hauls. also the carribean teams have the luxury of Winter Ball so they were already in shape and use to long games where as the americans...once ocotober is over...they dont step on the field until Training Camp. If Pedroia and Youk and the rest of Team USA trained before the tournament.....these injuries wouldnt happen. they would be used to the grind but they are playing cold so it happens. Those two will be alright. People should be happy Youk is hitting the way he is hitting. That guy is a monster and should have another break out season this year. I dont think anyone will beat Venezeula because they still have their roster intact and they are so high energy. TEAM USA just incurred too many injuries to key players. Without Braun,Pedroia, and Youk...and not being able to replace any of the injured....Team USA is in a deep trouble.[/quote]

I am pretty sure I read somewhere that Team USA will be able to replace those guys in the Semis, just had to wait until the last round is over. Also read that Evan Longoria may be the replacement at 3B. Thats good news.

[quote name='craven_fiend']I am pretty sure I read somewhere that Team USA will be able to replace those guys in the Semis, just had to wait until the last round is over. Also read that Evan Longoria may be the replacement at 3B. Thats good news.[/QUOTE]

yeah thats what i heard too...Its definitley good to have him as an extra power bat and give wright a rest.

Boy was I wrong on Venezuela. They got the SNOT kicked out of them by Korea. I never thought for a moment Venezuela would be in that bad of situation but hats off to Korea, that pitcher was stellar tonight.

Go USA. Going to be tough tonight, but hopefully (only time I'll say this all season) Daisuke has control issues and walks a ton. Their lineup could really get a jump start if the control issues pop up today.

With that said, it may be the 4 time Japan and Korea play in this WBC if the US can't win, I don't think that really proves anything, especially if they end up splitting all their games.

[quote name='integralsmatic']yeah coming in to it Garcia looked like the man to beat but Livan came off a pretty good season of pitching over 180 innings. I think if we can get that inning eater at the back end of the rotation...it should be fine and actually save our bullpen. Yeah niese is not ready yet. he still needs more time down there. he needs to work on the looping curve and he needs another good pitch. Im actually waiting for Brad Holt to start to improve. That kid has a pretty nasty fast ball and his ceiling is higher than nieses'

i wish they would pedro a shot. he pitched so well in the WBC and he looks like he could be a 5th or a long reliever. i still would take him in a heart beat.[/QUOTE]

Well Niese is down in AAA now. Looks like Livan is the number 5 to start the season...

I'm glad the US got eliminated, though I wish they got eliminated in the first round. Now the Rays just have to wait for Aki to get back. I don't like breaking the team up during spring. A big part of the Rays success was team chemistry last year.

[quote name='slickkill77']I'm glad the US got eliminated, though I wish they got eliminated in the first round. Now the Rays just have to wait for Aki to get back. I don't like breaking the team up during spring. A big part of the Rays success was team chemistry last year.[/QUOTE]

yeah i feel ya on that...but they they finally broke through. all that losing before and then having the young talent all breakout at once was amazing.

atleast you only had what 3-5 players in the WBC. the Mets had 13-16 players there and it was most of our lineup and that could have included Santana as well. if anything Met fans should have the right to complain lol...but atleast the WBC showed me some things and that is i have nothing to worry about the Core. Wright, Reyes,Delgado,and Beltran all had good WBCs and hopefully it should carry throught ST and the regular season. the only thing i didnt like is Oliver Perez throwing 85 pitches in a game but i guess i could understand. Japan had Daisuke throw about 65-70 before he was pulled. anyway Japan repeated and its back to spring training and then the start of the season. time to start looking for some Tix. :bouncy:

[quote name='slickkill77']I'm glad the US got eliminated, though I wish they got eliminated in the first round. Now the Rays just have to wait for Aki to get back. I don't like breaking the team up during spring. A big part of the Rays success was team chemistry last year.[/QUOTE]

I was a little surprised they went as far as they did, but drawing a matchup against Japan was definitely the short straw. Although I'm not sure that Korea would have been any better.

I can't believe Webb has given up so many runs, you never see back-to-back home runs hit off him.

At least the the Dbacks are hitting, it is 7-6 right now at the end of the 4th, Felipe Lopez with two home runs.

I'm watching the Yankee game right now, and I gotta say, I'm enjoying the hell out of Derek Jeter hitting leadoff again. The leadoff mentality is exactly what Jeter needed to get back to good habits. He's way more patient now, working counts, and fouling off tough pitches. He's back to waiting for his pitch, rather than just trying to do something with what the pitcher gives him. He's looking like the old DJ again...2-2 so far today.

Sabathia looks terrible though. I don't get the "he warms up when the weather warms up" argument. To me, that just says you're not ready for the season. A few less cheeseburgers might help "warm him up".

:lol: @ the Sabathia comment.

Tony Clark just hit his second home run in the game, that makes two switch hitters (Felipe Lopez & TC) to hit a home run from both sides of the plate in one game.

But I have to say, I hope the pitching in this game isn't indicative of the rest of the season. Webb came out missing his spots, his sinker is looking very flat. In addition, the bullpen comes out throwing a lot of wild pitches and getting slugged by the Rockies.

No complaints about the offense though. :lol:

Webb will be fine. He's proven himself to be very consistent. I just hope the "New York pressure" doesn't get to Sabathia. Anyone can have a bad day...just can't afford to let it snowball.

Haha @ Fatbathia.

I love how excuses are always needed for when the Yankees are losing, yet if they come back from behind it'll be about "the team being one" and "overcoming the odds".

Fire Joe Morgan

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']Haha @ Fatbathia.

I love how excuses are always needed for when the Yankees are losing, yet if they come back from behind it'll be about "the team being one" and "overcoming the odds".

Fire Joe Morgan[/quote]

Come on man. That's just a straight up hater comment. I've heard the "warms up when the weather warms up" crap said about Manny, Ortiz, Vlad, Delgado, every other Dominican player ever, etc. Sabathia just sucked today. No excuses. It's not a Yankee thing.

ESPN says what they do so you won't change the channel. They could care less who the team is. If the Yanks come back and win, it will be because their hitting outperformed the pitching. As of right now, they've scored 3 runs. That SHOULD have been enough for CC to work with. If these guys can't play in chilly weather, shorten the season, and pay them less money.

I really don't see why the Yankees are viewed as the favorites in the AL East. Their key players are in decline. Their outfield is unproven. A-rod is out for at least a month and has to deal with a lot of mental baggage when he gets back. Getting Teixiera was admittedly a great coup. However, the Sabathia and Burnett are going to be huge disappointments. Sabathia's workload over the past two seasons should be a concern, not to mention the Red Sox traditionally hit him well and his postseason stats are horrible. Burnett is basically Pavano, The Sequel; my prediction is he will end up being the most expensive pitcher in baseball from a $ per start persepective. I would take the Red Sox and Rays' rotation over the Yankees any day.

The Yankees are in real trouble and will likely finish third in the AL East.

bread's done
Back