2012 MLB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless you were in the front few rows it was really hard to see anyone. That pic was a result of me being 6'4", putting my hand as high as I could and taking a shitload of pics, hoping to get a picture of the player between all the other hands in the air. Only got a handful of good pictures.

Here is a picture without zooming in. Camera was able to see Pagan but at eye level it was like I was trying to peek through a fence.
286r3id.jpg

This city better step it up next time. Put the players on floats.

Per MLB Trade Rumors, The Miami Marlins will trade Josh Johnson, Jose Reyes, Mark Beurhle, John Buck and Emilio Bonafacio to the Toronto Blue Jays.

The annual Marlins firesale has begun again. Now just trade Stanton to the Rangers.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='GhostShark']Per MLB Trade Rumors, The Miami Marlins will trade Josh Johnson, Jose Reyes, Mark Beurhle, John Buck and Emilio Bonafacion to the Toronto Blue Jays.

The annual Marlins firesale has begun again. Now just trade Stanton to the Rangers.[/QUOTE]

Deadspin linked to his Twitter where he said he is pissed. That would be a great way to replace Hamilton

[quote name='GhostShark']Per MLB Trade Rumors, The Miami Marlins will trade Josh Johnson, Jose Reyes, Mark Beurhle, John Buck and Emilio Bonafacio to the Toronto Blue Jays.

The annual Marlins firesale has begun again. Now just trade Stanton to the Rangers.[/QUOTE]

Lets wait 3 more years until his arbitration cost is above $10 mill...Really, no way they are going to trade Stanton while he is so affordable.

I think the ownership will end up selling the team. They had terrible fan attendance last year, the year the team was playing in a new stadium and signed top free agents. Will be fun watching Miami play in an empty park at home.

Loria is an awful awful awful awful owner, he should not be allowed to own a baseball team. He tried for barely a season and promised Miami all these changes after getting a new stadium built and now he's completely dismantled the team.

That home run monstrosity probably scared off half the fans. The team's performance took care of the rest.

I wish I could say that Im suprised but Im not. Loria is the worst owner in sports. Everyone should have known better with the spending they had last year. I got sucked in as a Marlins fan and gave him the benefit of the doubt but screwed again. I dont think they will trade Stanton though. Thats the last player they can afford to lose if they want to win any games at all.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Torii Hunter has signed a 2 year deal with the Tigers.[/QUOTE]

If the Halos don't resign Greinke, the locker room will have lost out on a good leader for nothing and the fans will be pissed with Hunter's departure. They had to free up Hunter's money for Greinke and there is an argument the Angels have too many cooks in the kitchen as far as outfielders go and Pujols has a reservation on the DH spot in the future, but Hunter's numbers were still good. I'm sure he will have much success in Detroit.

I highly doubt Hunter replicates his +5 WAR 2012 season. I would expect something similar to his 2011 campaign. He was aided by the second highest BABIP behind Dexter Fowler, and that is nearly impossible to replicate. Also, his walk numbers were the lowest of his career and his strikeout numbers were his highest. However, he is probably an upgrade for the Tigers, but I am glade the Rangers didn't opt to overpay him.

If MLB is smart, they'll force Loria out of town and bust him in the kneecap for good measure. How so much money can be invested for a team to come out of it worse than they started is beyond me.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Marvin Miller passed away. Just about every professional athlete owes this guy a debt of gratitude.[/QUOTE]

Wow just read up on him. shame he didnt make it into the hall of fame in his lifetime.

[quote name='Fallen_Shadow94']Wow just read up on him. shame he didnt make it into the hall of fame in his lifetime.[/QUOTE]

Every MLB player owes him gratitude and most pros under a CBA as well. Things like the reserve clause and paltry wages under an iron-fisted, owner-controlled league might be in effect if it weren't for his union work.

I think it's a damn shame that Bowie Kuhn is somehow already in the Hall yet Miller still is not. I'm sure he'll see the Hall posthumously when a non-executive skewed VC is formed with him on the ballot.

Beating a dead horse to death but this might be the smartest baseball business decision in history.

Last year the Dodgers made $40 million in TV rights. The contract is almost over. Before last season, it was expected that the new Dodgers TV contract would be in the $150m/year range. Leaks from current Dodgers/Fox negotiations say the offer is at or near $280m/year.

I think it's reasonable to believe that the difference is due to the new owners and their moves. I think that's fair. So let's look at this from a business standpoint and shit our collective pants at the possibility of what just happened:
If this does get finalized, consider the ramifications here. In six months, the Guggenheim group would have turned a $2.15 billion investment into a cash cow which pays three times that over the next twenty years – without selling a single ticket, parking spot, beer, or replica jersey. Suddenly, all the talking heads who crowed that the price was absurd and that they’d never make a profit after paying that much seem kind of silly, don’t they? Think about it this way: you could have a $200 million payroll every year for the next 10 years, make your purchase price back… and still have $2 billion coming to you
And then suddenly you realize that Zach Greinke is not only easy to pay as a Dodger owner, but fucking filthy cheap since you don't have to pay with prospects. It's just cash.
I’ve long felt one of the most underrated aspects of the Adrian Gonzalez deal was the simple fact that there was going to be just about no one on the market to replace James Loney this winter – other than Napoli, the best first basemen are possibly Carlos Pena or Loney himself – and as teams lock up star players more and more often, there’s not a lot of quality pitching coming available. Looking ahead to 2014, and assuming that Shields’ option is picked up and R.A. Dickey is signed, the best starters look to be… Roy Halladay, at 37? Matt Garza? Josh Johnson, maybe, if reports of a deal with Toronto fall through?

It’s ugly out there, and that means it’s not going to get any easier to find pitching. The Dodgers need Greinke not only for 2013, but for every year after. They need him because he’s a perfect fit in terms of age and skill. They need him because he’s the rare ace pitcher on the right side of 30 available for nothing but money, with no one else like him coming free over the next year or two.
It's very very possible that a broke ass CF, a fading star 1B, a broke ass SP, and an underperforming SS just earned the Dodgers a couple of billion dollars in TV revenue. That seriously might have just fucking happened.

Yankees re-sign Andy Pettitte to a 1 year, $12 million deal. I like the team's new approach of wanting only short contracts. It's just too bad they didn't figure out this strategy before signing A-Rod, Teixeira, etc. into social security.

Honestly, I don't even care how the team does next year. I'd just really like to see Pettitte, Jeter, and Rivera have injury free seasons. Give them more rest if you have to. Just let them enjoy playing together for the last time. It couldn't possibly end up much worse than pushing everybody all season only to have Granderson, Cano, A-Rod, Swisher, etc. disappear in the playoffs. If the team is going to tank anyway, I'd at least like to see the instrumental players of the Yankees success over the past 16 years go out on their own terms.

It looks like BJ Upton is heading to the Braves for 5y/75m. Fine by me. They really need more right-handed hitting, and his speed is at least somewhat comparable to Bourn's plus Upton brings a lot more power. It also helps that they swiped him away from the Phillies and Nats.

Eh, I'm neither happy nor disappointed. He has upside and downside, who knows what he'll do for the next 5 years. I don't think it's the best idea, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least bit if Phillies signed Hamilton within the next week to make a splash.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']The Red Sox are reportedly giving Mike Napoli a 3 year deal for 39 million after signing Jonny Gomes to a 2 year/10m deal. Yeesh.[/QUOTE]

I knew we weren't going to keep Napoli. I just hope we end up with Greinke.

It is certainly sad to see Napoli go, but that is a bit too much money for a catcher on the wrong side of 30 with several stints on the DL.

However, I am glad the Rangers got Joakim Soria pretty cheap (2yrs/around 9 Mill). That's a pretty good 8th and 9th inning duo with Soria and Nathan. And hey, if Nathan gets hurt, Soria is a proven closer.

The Rangers and free agent slugger Josh Hamilton are making progress on what would likely be a four-year deal, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. However, it is still possible another team beats the Rangers' offer.
I don't know why but I expected him to land in the AL East.

That Victorino deal is AWEFUL! He was never worth that much, even when he had his best years with the Phillies. Have fun with him after his worst season.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']After dumping all that money last season, the Red Sox are apparently just dying to throw money away now, signing Victorino for 3/$37.5mil.[/QUOTE]

I have a friend who is a Boston fan. For some odd reason, he was sure that Boston was going after Hamilton. Can't wait to see his face tomorrow.

But damn, Pagan's deal looks so much better now. Hell, Melky and Hunter's contracts are much better.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']It looks like BJ Upton is heading to the Braves for 5y/75m. Fine by me. They really need more right-handed hitting, and his speed is at least somewhat comparable to Bourn's plus Upton brings a lot more power. It also helps that they swiped him away from the Phillies and Nats.[/QUOTE]

I like it. Bourn and his agent are asking for way too much given how much he blew in the 2nd half this year.

And as you note, the Braves need right handed hitters and more power. Speed is moot as they can't play small ball since they lack people hitting .300 to move them over and in. Of the returning roster for next year, really only Prado has much of a chance to hit better than .300.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']After dumping all that money last season, the Red Sox are apparently just dying to throw money away now, signing Victorino for 3/$37.5mil.[/QUOTE]

I'm waiting for some evidence that they have a plan in place. At least all they're spending at this point is money and not also flushing away their farm system.

I've already been anticipating a couple of lean years for the Red Sox, and they haven't really done anything to dissuade that notion yet.

[quote name='tcrash247']That Victorino deal is AWEFUL! He was never worth that much, even when he had his best years with the Phillies. Have fun with him after his worst season.[/QUOTE]

Yeah what's with teams overpaying for former Phillies players. First Victorino and now I see that Joe Blanton got a 2 year $15 million dollar deal.

I also hope that Cliff Lee doesn't get traded like some rumors are suggesting. Hallady and Worely both had disappointing seasons because of the injuries (hopefully they will both be better next year) and although Kendrick had a good 2nd half, he may not repeat that next year. That just leaves Hamels. If they want any chance of going to the playoffs I feel like they need to keep their 3 aces.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']Yeah what's with teams overpaying for former Phillies players. First Victorino and now I see that Joe Blanton got a 2 year $15 million dollar deal.

I also hope that Cliff Lee doesn't get traded like some rumors are suggesting. Hallady and Worely both had disappointing seasons because of the injuries (hopefully they will both be better next year) and although Kendrick had a good 2nd half, he may not repeat that next year. That just leaves Hamels. If they want any chance of going to the playoffs I feel like they need to keep their 3 aces.[/QUOTE]

Ruben said Cliff Lee is not going to be traded because he wants to keep Halladay, Lee and Hamels together, but he says a lot of things. If he doesn't do SOMETHING today, I'm giving up all hope on him.

Looks like trading for Michael Young might happen. I've always liked Young, but if we can get him for almost nothing and have Texas kick in half his salary, then I guess I'm ok with it. Also hearing Ben Revere's name come up in trade discussion and I say YES PLEASE. If we trade for Young, trade for Revere or Fowler I'd go so far to say I wouldn't mind signing Swisher, but he might command a lot since Victorino fucked up the market. I guess I'll wait and see what, if anything, unfolds today.

[quote name='tcrash247']Ruben said Cliff Lee is not going to be traded because he wants to keep Halladay, Lee and Hamels together, but he says a lot of things. If he doesn't do SOMETHING today, I'm giving up all hope on him.

Looks like trading for Michael Young might happen. I've always liked Young, but if we can get him for almost nothing and have Texas kick in half his salary, then I guess I'm ok with it. Also hearing Ben Revere's name come up in trade discussion and I say YES PLEASE. If we trade for Young, trade for Revere or Fowler I'd go so far to say I wouldn't mind signing Swisher, but he might command a lot since Victorino fucked up the market. I guess I'll wait and see what, if anything, unfolds today.[/QUOTE]

He listened to you, Ben Revere for Trevor May and Vance Worley

[quote name='Beatofficer']He listened to you, Ben Revere for Trevor May and Vance Worley[/QUOTE]

Very pleased with that. I liked Worley and May is projected to be good, but we have nothing in our system in terms of center fielders and we have several really good pitchers. Hopefully Revere can be our long term center fielder and continue to do good. I hope they sign a corner outfielder now that they don't need to blow their whole load on a center fielder.

Ok with that one too, but I'm not sure we really need to be giving up 2 pitchers in every deal. Lindblom sucked for us, I won't miss him at all. I've always liked Young, so it will be cool to see him in a Philllies jersey.

While I am saddened by the loss of Young, it was a deal that needed to be done. His declining skillset and talents didn't mesh well at all with the rest of the team. And now that he is gone, we can finally see Washington make the best possible line-up without including MY out of obligation.

[quote name='bvharris']I'm waiting for some evidence that they have a plan in place. At least all they're spending at this point is money and not also flushing away their farm system.

I've already been anticipating a couple of lean years for the Red Sox, and they haven't really done anything to dissuade that notion yet.[/QUOTE]
It looks like they're anticipating at least 3 lean years. Some of those guys could be decent chips at the deadline in the last two years of their deals.

There are bad deals.....then there's what the fuck the Dodgers and Red Sox just did....wow.

Can't wait to light Greinke up seven or so times a year.

I didn't know Greinke too much but I just looked at his stats and he's not that great. Why did he get such a ridiculous contract for one great year and a bunch of meh ones? He's nowhere near the caliber of CC or Hamels, I don't know why his contract is more than theirs. Sure the Dodgers need pitching and he's the #2 there but he'd be #3 on a lot of teams. I guess one Cy Young award will get you a lot of money for the rest of your life.

[quote name='tcrash247']I didn't know Greinke too much but I just looked at his stats and he's not that great. Why did he get such a ridiculous contract for one great year and a bunch of meh ones? He's nowhere near the caliber of CC or Hamels, I don't know why his contract is more than theirs. Sure the Dodgers need pitching and he's the #2 there but he'd be #3 on a lot of teams. I guess one Cy Young award will get you a lot of money for the rest of your life.[/QUOTE]

It's most likely because he's the best pitcher on the market this year. That amount of money they probably could have got both Lohse and Anibal Sanchez and would've ended off better.

[quote name='Beatofficer']It's most likely because he's the best pitcher on the market this year. That amount of money they probably could have got both Lohse and Anibal Sanchez and would've ended off better.[/QUOTE]

That's what I don't understand. He's the best pitcher out there this year... So what? Because it's a good year to be a FA you get more money than you should? It's stupid really. But go Dodgers, enjoy that wasted cash.

They gave up too much in the deal, but they are trying to be relevant (even though they still won't finish over .500) so I can't fault them for that. This sucks, because I was hoping the Rangers would snag Shields.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back