2012 MLB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow Matt Kemp is on fire to start the season. Third straight game with a homerun, 6th overall. 2 more RBI to make his total 16 and is hit .483 atm.
Another win for the dodger with the help of the umps tonight. Strange play in the top of the 9th innings Padres were trying to bunt with man on 1st and 2nd when a failed bunt attempt that hit the plate rolled back into field of play and it was called a live ball and Dodgers turn a triple play. Dodgers walkoff in the bottom of the 9th. Now 9 wins and 1 loss.

[quote name='tcrash247']Jeez, whats up with Lincecum? He looks terrible.[/QUOTE]

Apparently he lost 25 pounds? How I have no idea but they are attributing it to his loss of velocity.

[quote name='DestroVega']Apparently he lost 25 pounds? How I have no idea but they are attributing it to his loss of velocity.[/QUOTE]

He had 25 pounds to lose?!

[quote name='tcrash247']He had 25 pounds to lose?![/QUOTE]

I think they meant he lost 25 pounds of weed. He's depressed now since that happened, so it's affecting his pitching.

Can this be the Jason Bay we met fans have been waiting for? Also great to see Ike get a homer today. I

4-0 against the Braves and going for another series win tomorrow with Johan on the mound.

[quote name='integralsmatic']Can this be the Jason Bay we met fans have been waiting for? Also great to see Ike get a homer today. I

4-0 against the Braves and going for another series win tomorrow with Johan on the mound.[/QUOTE]

Don't get your hopes up with Bay

[quote name='DomLando']Don't get your hopes up with Bay[/QUOTE]

I'm not but he made a great play in the OF and he hit a bomb. Ill take anything at this point. Anything is better than last year's performance.

[quote name='confoosious']why the f did he lose 25 pounds?

he wasn't exactly CC.[/QUOTE]

He was doing a strict swimmer workout type thing over the offseason to increase his durability.

[quote name='Beatofficer']small sample sizes own but you have to remember your first 10 games were against the worst teams in the majors.[/QUOTE]
False. We haven't played the Giants yet.

[quote name='tcrash247']He had 25 pounds to lose?![/QUOTE]

That's what I meant, don't know where he was hiding 25 pounds of body.

[quote name='DestroVega']That's what I meant, don't know where he was hiding 25 pounds of body.[/QUOTE]

He definitely looks thinner, especially in the legs. Not as apparent as Brian Wilson's weight loss (dude really looks like a guy who went off the sauce), but it's obvious enough to me at least. I fully expected him to look exactly the same after doubting the weight loss reports, but when I saw him in uniform I was convinced.

[quote name='integralsmatic']Can this be the Jason Bay we met fans have been waiting for? Also great to see Ike get a homer today. I

4-0 against the Braves and going for another series win tomorrow with Johan on the mound.[/QUOTE]

Well... fences were moved in. Can't hurt. He won't be the Bay of the Pirates or even the Red Sox, but he should at least be an average MLBer.

Lol... Everyone is abandoning ship on Lincecum. Got an offer in my fantasy league: Lincecum, Hellickson, Storen for Strasburg. :rofl:

[quote name='integralsmatic']I'm not but he made a great play in the OF and he hit a bomb. Ill take anything at this point. Anything is better than last year's performance.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I saw the game. I was happy he was able to contribute but at this point he is only really out there because of is contract.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']Rangers are beating that ass right now[/QUOTE]

Validating my decision to shut the game off a while ago. :bomb:

Man, what a disaster Mark Melancon has been. I thought he was supposed to be a decent reliever, he's been basically throwing batting practice all Spring.

[quote name='bvharris']Validating my decision to shut the game off a while ago. :bomb:

Man, what a disaster Mark Melancon has been. I thought he was supposed to be a decent reliever, he's been basically throwing batting practice all Spring.[/QUOTE]

I was listening to the game on MLB Network radio and the Boston announcer's said his ERA went from 9 to 49. Baseball stats early in the year are awesome.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I was listening to the game on MLB Network radio and the Boston announcer's said his ERA went from 9 to 49. Baseball stats early in the year are awesome.[/QUOTE]

49 doesn't even do justice to how brutal he's been. He's gone from "possible closer and 8th inning guy" to mop up duty in a week, pretty impressive for a guy on a new team.

Melancon was an Astros pitcher. That should validify any argument stating that he's anything but absolutely terrible.

I'm shocked that the Astros let him get away, because it seems like the motto there recently is "Hey, can you play baseball? What's that, you can?! Now kindly GTFO."

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I was listening to the game on MLB Network radio and the Boston announcer's said his ERA went from 9 to 49. Baseball stats early in the year are awesome.[/QUOTE]

They showed that on FSN, shit was too funny.

I'm on record as saying the Melancon trade was a disaster from the beginning. They had no shortstop after they traded for him. It made no sense. And he's never been any good. Not a second guess, first guess.

man rough loss tonight. Santana got banged around and man what happened to Ramirez. That 4 ER in the last two games. Well its still early and the Metsies should even out soon. Hope Dickey can take the rubber match. ATL came out to play finally.

I just hope there is 0 truth to the Mets honoring Larry Jones at Citi. I had 0 respect for Wilpon now. I never knew I could hit the negatives with this BS owner.

[quote name='HydroX']Melancon was an Astros pitcher. That should validify any argument stating that he's anything but absolutely terrible.

I'm shocked that the Astros let him get away, because it seems like the motto there recently is "Hey, can you play baseball? What's that, you can?! Now kindly GTFO."[/QUOTE]

Rebuilding phase, yo.

They pretty much got a King's Ransom of prospects for Pence. If they all pan out, score.

Schafer doesn't seem so bad, right now.

Melancon wasn't that bad when he was pitching with the Astros.

[quote name='HydroX']Lol... Everyone is abandoning ship on Lincecum. Got an offer in my fantasy league: Lincecum, Hellickson, Storen for Strasburg. :rofl:[/QUOTE]
holy shit.
[quote name='dkreegz515']Awesome end to the brewers dodgers game tonight.[/QUOTE]
That last play is why I watch baseball. Great stuff. Bummer we lost.

Glad the Braves finally got the offense going and beat the Mets. Could have a good year if they can get some offense going as the pitching is solid through the rotation and bullpen. And will get better when Hudson makes it back.

Damn Dodgers lose another in play at the plate, Matt Kemp ball was in time but catcher didn't place the tag in time. Man it was fun though 5 infielders for the final two brewers.

[quote name='jello44']Rebuilding phase, yo.

They pretty much got a King's Ransom of prospects for Pence. If they all pan out, score.

Schafer doesn't seem so bad, right now.

Melancon wasn't that bad when he was pitching with the Astros.[/QUOTE]

They should've asked for Domonic Brown in the deal. He's just wasting away with Pence taking his roster spot.

My point was that usually in a rebuilding phase, the team keeps at least ONE guy that can do.. well.. SOMETHING for their team.

Bartolo Colon threw 38 straight strikes. That is ridiculous.

Good game for the Rangers tonight. Getting to the Boston bullpen in the 8th again was nice.

The game between the Giants and Phil's reminds me how much I wish the Rangers still had Lee.

While I do miss Lee, I don't wish we still had him. He would have cost too much money down the line which is the same reason I don't wish we still had CJ. I love the rotation as it is right now.

I'm glad we swept the two-game stint from Boston, but the the Rangers face their first playoff-caliber team this weekend in Detroit. The Rangers have always played bad at Comerica, but the same was true at Minnesota's new ballpark. Theoretically, I would love to see them split the series. Gonna be interesting to see Darvish face the best hitting team he has ever faced.

I'm really not happy right now, 11 innings and the Phillies can only manage 4 hits?! Now they are in last place in the NL East. Cliff Lee did an amazing job pitching with 10 shutout innings but it's really frustrating to see the offense (or lack of it). Matt Cain pitched excellent as well.

Protip for anyone playing in an ESPN league:

Jake Peavy is owned in less than 30% of leagues. WTF? Dude had a 3.21 FIP last season, better than:

Ian Kennedy, C.J. Wilson, David Price, Anibal Sanchez, James Shields, Johnny Cueto, Yovani Gallardo, Gio Gonzalez, Tommy Hanson, Josh Beckett, Michael Pineda, Daniel Hudson, and Shaun Marcum.

His xFIP was better than Jered Weaver, Mat Latos, Jordan Zimmermann, and Matt Cain.

His throwing nearly 92 MPH this season. He no longer has the worst RF in the history of baseball (with the possible exception of Adam Dunn) in Carlos Quentin anymore, and Rios moved from CF to LF. His control is bonkers, and his swinging strike rate is on par with his Padres days. He did rather well against the Rangers in Texas, and the Tigers in U.S. Cellular. Shut down the Orioles Wednesday night.

All of this, and Jonathan Sanchez has twice as many owners. Daniel Bard has three times as many owners. Barry Zito is owned by more managers. As is Jair Jurrjens. Johan Santana is nearly universally owned, but Peavy is owned by less than 1/3 of managers?

Even if he only made ten starts this season, how many guys on the wire will give you a K per inning, low WHIP, and potential for a 3.00 ERA? Even in an 8 team league that list is pretty much just Peavy.

I can make a similar post about Jonathan Niese, too. Dude should be owned in way more leagues. At least twice as many.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='HydroX']Lol... Everyone is abandoning ship on Lincecum. Got an offer in my fantasy league: Lincecum, Hellickson, Storen for Strasburg. :rofl:[/QUOTE]

Well, Storen is out for a while, and I'm betting he won't pitch at all this year, Hellickson is a massive regression candidate (I wouldn't even own him in a 12 team league - if a dude doesn't strike out 6 guys per 9, he better not walk anybody. And Hellickson gives up some walks), and Strasburg won't be pitching in September, so in head to head leagues you'll get nothing from him in the playoffs.

There's nothing but risk in that whole trade.

[quote name='GhostShark']While I do miss Lee, I don't wish we still had him. He would have cost too much money down the line which is the same reason I don't wish we still had CJ. I love the rotation as it is right now.

I'm glad we swept the two-game stint from Boston, but the the Rangers face their first playoff-caliber team this weekend in Detroit. The Rangers have always played bad at Comerica, but the same was true at Minnesota's new ballpark. Theoretically, I would love to see them split the series. Gonna be interesting to see Darvish face the best hitting team he has ever faced.[/QUOTE]

If anything is being proven in baseball right now, it's that you can let guys like Lee, Pujhols, Reyes etc. walk and it doesn't destroy your team.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']I'm really not happy right now, 11 innings and the Phillies can only manage 4 hits?! Now they are in last place in the NL East. Cliff Lee did an amazing job pitching with 10 shutout innings but it's really frustrating to see the offense (or lack of it). Matt Cain pitched excellent as well.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that was a tough loss to swallow. We should be able to kick the shit out of the Padres though, I hope...

Man, that was a fantastic series between the Dodgers and the Brewers. One win on the last play, one win in extra innings, and all three 1 run games.

[quote name='tcrash247']Yeah, that was a tough loss to swallow. We should be able to kick the shit out of the Padres though, I hope...[/QUOTE]

I hope so too, although a sweep would be great, I'd be satisfied with them winning 3 out of 4 considering the Padres have the worst record in all of MLB.

Nah, Phillies don't need to sweep the Padres. ;)

Nice inning from the Braves though to get the lead in the Diamondbacks game. Figures Uggla had to tie it up shortly before that though with his error.

Also, what's up with Mike Napoli. Sucked at the beginning, but he's tearing it up this week. Doing wonders for my fantasy team too.

[quote name='JStryke']Nah, Phillies don't need to sweep the Padres. ;)

Nice inning from the Braves though to get the lead in the Diamondbacks game. Figures Uggla had to tie it up shortly before that though with his error.

Also, what's up with Mike Napoli. Sucked at the beginning, but he's tearing it up this week. Doing wonders for my fantasy team too.[/QUOTE]

What is up with Mike Napoli? He's awesome. That's whats up.

Another solid start for Darvish tonight as the Rangers whooped that Tiger ass. He was a little erratic and walked 5 people, but the ump had a pretty strict strike zone. He still buckled down and tossed that nasty curve to get out of the more dangerous situations. Let's hope the rest of the ALCS rematch goes just as good as tonight did. :bouncy:

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']Well, Storen is out for a while, and I'm betting he won't pitch at all this year, Hellickson is a massive regression candidate (I wouldn't even own him in a 12 team league - if a dude doesn't strike out 6 guys per 9, he better not walk anybody. And Hellickson gives up some walks), and Strasburg won't be pitching in September, so in head to head leagues you'll get nothing from him in the playoffs.

There's nothing but risk in that whole trade.[/QUOTE]

I declined it and the guy countered with Verlander and Storen for Strasburg. It is a keeper league (keep only 3) so I bit. Plan on wheeling Verlander for a first round bat and a subpar pitcher.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']I'm really not happy right now, 11 innings and the Phillies can only manage 4 hits?! Now they are in last place in the NL East. Cliff Lee did an amazing job pitching with 10 shutout innings but it's really frustrating to see the offense (or lack of it). Matt Cain pitched excellent as well.[/QUOTE]

Woah, 10 innings? When's the last time a pitcher worked more than 9 innings in a game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back