2012 MLB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The actual story seems to be somewhat less interesting. Seems he launched into a tirade against a Jewish man who was panhandling and then got into a scuffle with a group of tourists. I think he was charged with aggravated harassment as a hate crime. He was also apparently drunk off his ass.

[quote name='DestroVega']But he's guilty.[/QUOTE]

what's due process, precious

ps steroids don't make you better at baseball

[quote name='ElwoodCuse']ps steroids don't make you better at baseball[/QUOTE]

oh ya, they totally don't. Look at all the guys still hitting 60+ homers in the majors.

[quote name='JJSP']Angels called up Mike Trout and released Bobby Abreu.[/QUOTE]

Also, Nationals put Ryan Zimmerman on the DL and called up Bryce Harper.

[quote name='ElwoodCuse']what's due process, precious[/quote]
This isn't a civil or criminal issue (well it is criminal but nobody cares that he illegally purchased and used drugs). He doesn't get due process.
ps steroids don't make you better at baseball
Then why did he take them?

[quote name='ElwoodCuse']ps steroids don't make you better at baseball[/QUOTE]

That argument was lame the first time someone said it, and it's still lame today. Steroids make you a better athlete. They can drastically alter how you work out, and thus, increase the results of your work outs. Period. They aren't a miracle drug that's gonna make me into Barry Bonds overnight, but it can definitely make an already good player great. As someone else said, if they didn't make you better, why did so many people them? For laughs?

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']That argument was lame the first time someone said it, and it's still lame today.[/QUOTE]

I'm shocked people are still trying make that argument. It's ridiculous.

[quote name='speedracer']Matt Kemp is a bad, bad man.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. If I met someone who'd never heard of baseball before and wanted to know why I love it so much, I'd show them that game.

Gold star to the Dodger fan that snuck his ass into the frame on Harper's first hit, ensuring that it'd be seen during the billion replays.

Went to the Braves game last night, had a good time despite the loss. Offense is really up and down so far this year. Already down 2-0 today as well.

[quote name='JJSP']Angels called up Mike Trout and released Bobby Abreu.[/QUOTE]

If they hadn't traded Napoli for Wells, they'd have Napoli, too. Iannetta isn't bad, but he's a homeless man's Napoli.

Nice ending for the Brewers. Brewers put men on 1st and 3rd, get two strikeouts, and as soon as he swung, guy on first tried to take second, guy on third tries to take home and gets thrown out at the plate.

Now to hope I can get a few more points, and I might just salvage a win this week in fantasy. Damn Edwin Encarnacion though. Despising him this week.

Edit: And thank you Carlos Gonzalez. Texas, PLEASE bench Mike Napoli. He's sucked all week. I can't afford strikeouts tonight.

Edit 2: And thank you Napoli for your hit in the 7th. I needed you not to score -3. You had -2 going in thanks to your two strikeouts thus far. Now to hope you don't get any more at bats in this game. Or errors. Or caught stealing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Los Doyers sweep the Nats.
Capuano (3-0) allowed three hits and two walks in 6 2/3 innings, helping send the Nationals to their fourth straight loss and first shutout defeat of the season after they entered the series with a 14-5 record. They had a combined total of three runs and 11 hits in 21 2/3 innings against Capuano, Clayton Kershaw and Chad Billingsley.
That's good stuff right there.

It's good to see that Derek Lowe's still doing well so far with a shutout start to close out the Angels series. He was the pitcher I was most concerned about going into the season, so I hope he can keep it up.

Wow, Braves looked dead in the water down 6-0 with Halladay on the mound, but just got 6 off him in the 5th to tie it up. Punctuated by a grand slam by Brian McCann.

So I'm watching the A's Red Sox game right now and I had a thought. Do the Sox suck this year or is this a continuation of the collapse from last season?

[quote name='dmaul1114']Wow, Braves looked dead in the water down 6-0 with Halladay on the mound, but just got 6 off him in the 5th to tie it up. Punctuated by a grand slam by Brian McCann.[/QUOTE]

Then Carlos Ruiz hits a 3 run home run.

Damn, I turned the game off to watch a movie (was still 6-6 at the time). Turned it back on just after Chipper's 2 run homer to win it 15-13 in the 11th.

[quote name='silentevil']So I'm watching the A's Red Sox game right now and I had a thought. Do the Sox suck this year or is this a continuation of the collapse from last season?[/QUOTE]

The Red Sox had one of the hardest parts of their schedule to open the season, now they're playing the dreks of the AL. Like Bob Ryan said on Kornheiser's radio show at the height of the Valentine stuff a week ago, if the Red Sox are below .500 after May 16, then they're doomed. They're like 7-1 in their last 8 now and Papi is possessed.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Damn, I turned the game off to watch a movie (was still 6-6 at the time). Turned it back on just after Chipper's 2 run homer to win it 15-13 in the 11th.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mitch079']On the opposite end of the spectrum, Jared Weaver no hit the Twins.[/QUOTE]

Incredible 2 games that rightfully pushes Beltran's 7 RBI night (yes to match Ruiz) to page 2 of the MLB section. This is one of those nights I love having access to MLB.tv on my PS3.

The panda is out for 4-6 weeks ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH. Looks like our offense just got worse! Though, let us be honest here, our problem is getting a hit with runners in scoring position.

Mariano Rivera Had To Be Carted Off The Field With A Possible Knee Injury Sustained During Batting Practice

That's according to numerous reports out of Kansas City, where the Yankees closer slipped on the warning track as he was shagging fly balls before tonight's game against the Royals. According to CBSSports.com, the 42-year-old Rivera had to be carried to the cart by manager Joe Girardi and bullpen coach Mike Harkey.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/sto...ork-yankees-carted-field-apparent-knee-injury

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MSUHitman']

The Red Sox had one of the hardest parts of their schedule to open the season, now they're playing the dreks of the AL. Like Bob Ryan said on Kornheiser's radio show at the height of the Valentine stuff a week ago, if the Red Sox are below .500 after May 16, then they're doomed. They're like 7-1 in their last 8 now and Papi is possessed.

[/QUOTE]

Red Sox are 5-3 in their last 8 as of today. They dropped two to the A's and one to the White Sox. They're next series is against the Orioles who are 6-2 in their last 8 games and just took 2 out of 3 against the A's and at Yankee Stadium.

I know eventually the Orioles will fall off like the normally do but they are hot right now.

Mariano going down is a big hit to the Yanks pen. Robertson is definitely getting the closer role though. No question on that. and if he's as good as he's been the past year, I have complete faith in him. I think the problem is now going to be in the 7th, and maybe 8th. Who is going to be the guy there?

Honestly, what I have LOVE to see is Joba come back sometime during the season, and just be that guy. There was once a time when he was expected to be the closer when Mo retired. That time has long passed, but i think he can still bring back some of those memories.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Second freak injury to a yankees pitcher this season. Pretty crazy.[/QUOTE]

It's definitely not their year. Lots of injuries already and odd ones.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Mo...torn ACL...I'm gonna go cry now...[/QUOTE]

That sucks. Even as a Red Sox fan, Mo was a guy who I always respected and admired. If this is the end of his career, it's terrible for the game.

Mo stated clearly today that he's coming back next year. His words were "I'm not going out like this." That's at least good to hear, but it's not going to be fun rehabbing a torn ACL at 43 years old. Honestly, the thing is, you can call this a "freak injury", but he shouldn't be shagging fly balls at this point in his career. I know that he's "the best athlete on the team" and he's been doing it his entire career, but in hindsight, it's almost as dumb as Terrell Suggs getting injured playing basketball. It's not necessary and doesn't do anything to help his performance in the job he's actually paid to do. There aren't even any 42 year old outfielders in the league shagging fly balls, lol. So, why the fuck does the greatest relief pitcher of all time need to be doing it?

fucking Phillies Nationals game was a disaster and a half. The 3rd base umpire was sick so they went with 3 umpires leaving 3rd base open. There were 3 plays that were called in favor of the Nats, 2 of them key plays that would have had the Phils win. Ruiz hit a fair ball over the 3rd base bag that was called foul that would have scored Victorino and won the game, then in the same at bat Victorino stole 3rd and was called out by the second base umpire but was clearly safe, which also would have scored him in that at bat because Ruiz hit a single to right field. I'm glad the Phillies got phucked, yay.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Mo stated clearly today that he's coming back next year. His words were "I'm not going out like this." That's at least good to hear, but it's not going to be fun rehabbing a torn ACL at 43 years old. Honestly, the thing is, you can call this a "freak injury", but he shouldn't be shagging fly balls at this point in his career. I know that he's "the best athlete on the team" and he's been doing it his entire career, but in hindsight, it's almost as dumb as Terrell Suggs getting injured playing basketball. It's not necessary and doesn't do anything to help his performance in the job he's actually paid to do. There aren't even any 42 year old outfielders in the league shagging fly balls, lol. So, why the fuck does the greatest relief pitcher of all time need to be doing it?[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way but he's been doing it every game. If I were Girardi I probably would have told him to let the warning track shots just fall. He was trying to make a highlight grab.

[quote name='tcrash247']fucking Phillies Nationals game was a disaster and a half. The 3rd base umpire was sick so they went with 3 umpires leaving 3rd base open. There were 3 plays that were called in favor of the Nats, 2 of them key plays that would have had the Phils win. Ruiz hit a fair ball over the 3rd base bag that was called foul that would have scored Victorino and won the game, then in the same at bat Victorino stole 3rd and was called out by the second base umpire but was clearly safe, which also would have scored him in that at bat because Ruiz hit a single to right field. I'm glad the Phillies got phucked, yay.[/QUOTE]

But Washington also won the game earlier and they called the runner out at home.

[quote name='DestroVega']But Washington also won the game earlier and they called the runner out at home.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I didn't see that. I watched most of the game but not all of it, guess I missed that. Well then it was a sloppily called game all around.

[quote name='tcrash247']Oh, I didn't see that. I watched most of the game but not all of it, guess I missed that. Well then it was a sloppily called game all around.[/QUOTE]

It would have been worse if Joe West didn't get sick. ;)

Phillies back in last place in the NL East, I know it's still early but winning 2 out of 3 against Washington really was important. I'm expecting the Nationals to sweep tomorrow.

Rangers pitching lately hasn't been up to par. They need to get Hamilton and Beltre healthy so they can start rolling again. I was glad Beltre mashed one last night to allow the team to maybe salvage the road trip.

[quote name='jello44']It would have been worse if Joe West didn't get sick. ;)[/QUOTE]

I saw him ref in person in Spring Training last year. Worst Umpire I have EVER seen.

I can't believe Cole Hamels got a 5 game suspension for intentionally hitting Bryce Harper. Yeah he shouldn't have done it but last year when Ramon Ramirez intentionally hit Shane Victorino, he didn't get a suspension (and neither did Eli Whiteside who tried to tackle Placido Polanco).

[quote name='YoshiFan1']I can't believe Cole Hamels got a 5 game suspension for intentionally hitting Bryce Harper. Yeah he shouldn't have done it but last year when Ramon Ramirez intentionally hit Shane Victorino, he didn't get a suspension (and neither did Eli Whiteside who tried to tackle Placido Polanco).[/QUOTE]
It's the Ubaldo Jimenez rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back