2013 MLB Discussion

Problem is, though, that with Youk on the DL, a healthy A-Rod would be the best 3B on their roster.
What does "healthy" even mean for Alex anymore? I doubt being "healthy" is going to help him get around on a fastball again. "Healthy" also isn't going to get his mind right. If he can come back with something to prove, that's one thing. But if he's going to come back just to look stupid and pout, I'd take a minor leaguer who actually gives a shit over him any day.

I'm very happy with the Orioles. You have to consider how long the Orioles were stinking up the place. Last year could have been a fluke, but this year has shown that we are indeed a very good, if not perfect, team. It feels like we have a team where the parts all fit together well.

What does "healthy" even mean for Alex anymore? I doubt being "healthy" is going to help him get around on a fastball again. "Healthy" also isn't going to get his mind right. If he can come back with something to prove, that's one thing. But if he's going to come back just to look stupid and pout, I'd take a minor leaguer who actually gives a shit over him any day.
whether you like it or not, the Yankess are stuck with him. A-rod will laughing all the way to bank, especially after what cashman said recently about him.

whether you like it or not, the Yankess are stuck with him. A-rod will laughing all the way to bank, especially after what cashman said recently about him.
Honestly, I'm intrigued by Cashman's response. He's smart enough to not say something that incendiary unless the organization was just done trying to appease A-Rod at all. With Alex, there's really no middle ground. He's such a head case, you either have to kiss his ass and constantly tell him how wonderful he is...or you just say "fuck it" and treat him like shit hoping that he retires. I suppose he could demand to be traded...but the Yankees would get no interest, so he'd be stuck (unless restructuring his deal was an option). Where's a freaking opt out clause when you need one? haha

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, I'm intrigued by Cashman's response. He's smart enough to not say something that incendiary unless the organization was just done trying to appease A-Rod at all. With Alex, there's really no middle ground. He's such a head case, you either have to kiss his ass and constantly tell him how wonderful he is...or you just say "fuck it" and treat him like shit hoping that he retires. I suppose he could demand to be traded...but the Yankees would get no interest, so he'd be stuck (unless restructuring his deal was an option). Where's a freaking opt out clause when you need one? haha
the only way A-rod can be traded is, if the Yankess is willing to pay for most of his salary he is owed for another team to take him. LIke the case previously with the pitcher Aj, burnette ( I am not 100% sure, if that was the case with him ). Lets be realistic here, if you were A-rod, would you retired voluntarily, and give up the remainder of the money owed to you for doing basically nothing. Other than being injury-prone, rehabbing, and going in and out of surgery for the last 2-3 years. THe yankess, really need to start thinking about the future, and start investing, and developing their farm systems. Instead of always going out signing the over-the-hill free agents, or free agents to long term deals they will hurt them like the one like A-rod, and Derek Jeter. It will interesting to see what they will do with Robinson cano.

In other news, Kerry Wood was apparently out paddle boarding and found a dead body. Here I thought that only happened on CBS.

the only way A-rod can be traded is, if the Yankess is willing to pay for most of his salary he is owed for another team to take him. LIke the case previously with the pitcher Aj, burnette ( I am not 100% sure, if that was the case with him ). Lets be realistic here, if you were A-rod, would you retired voluntarily, and give up the remainder of the money owed to you for doing basically nothing. Other than being injury-prone, rehabbing, and going in and out of surgery for the last 2-3 years. THe yankess, really need to start thinking about the future, and start investing, and developing their farm systems. Instead of always going out signing the over-the-hill free agents, or free agents to long term deals they will hurt them like the one like A-rod, and Derek Jeter. It will interesting to see what they will do with Robinson cano.

The Yankees are paying for AJ to kill it with the Pirates, but the situations are different. A-Rod has 10-5 rights, so he can veto any trade that is made. What the Yankees were really hoping would happen was that A-Rod would have had a setback with his surgery. I believe that if he was injured for the full season and then retired, he would get his full compensation and the Yankees would be able to get off on the cheap because his contract would have been paid off through the insurance company.

Call me a masochist, but as a Yankee fan I'm really digging this season. All teams in the league and neck to neck, the line up is a complete mess, and yet the games are really fun to watch. I mean, Ichero with a 78 wRC has been their third best position player. It's entertaining to see a butch of no names scrap up wins.

Regarding A-rod, I proposed a "what if" scenario regarding trading him to Philly for Ryan Howard. Both players have been offensively similar during the last three and have pretty much identically terrible contracts of equal length and salary. How does Williams/Healthcott/Warren/ PTBNL and A-Rod for Michael Young and Ryan Howard sound? 

Call me a masochist, but as a Yankee fan I'm really digging this season. All teams in the league and neck to neck, the line up is a complete mess, and yet the games are really fun to watch. I mean, Ichero with a 78 wRC has been their third best position player. It's entertaining to see a butch of no names scrap up wins.

Regarding A-rod, I proposed a "what if" scenario regarding trading him to Philly for Ryan Howard. Both players have been offensively similar during the last three and have pretty much identically terrible contracts of equal length and salary. How does Williams/Healthcott/Warren/ PTBNL and A-Rod for Michael Young and Ryan Howard sound?
i still think the yankess will be able to make the playoffs with their current roster, but i doubt they will be able to do much. Cleveland Indians kinda surprised me with their turnaround this season. They might actually make the playoffs this year.

More good news for the Yankees: Teixeira needs wrist surgery and is done for the season.
Shocker. Honestly, I feel the organization has so many problems it's ridiculous. How in the freaking hell do they have this many players who weren't ready for the start of the season? Whoever is conducting the physicals for these guys is doing a shitty job. Obviously, Jeter's issue was known, and he's had major setbacks. But people have rehabbed from freaking Tommy John surgery or torn ACL's quicker than A-Rod and Tex have taken care of their respective hip/wrist problems. Neither of these were injuries that just popped up out of nowhere either. They've both had these problems for the last several years and haven't gotten it properly taken care of. You'd think they don't want them healthy or something.

No, I don't want fucking A'Rod anywhere near my team. That would be quite counter-productive as well, we have a couple guys that could be very good 3B in a year or two.

Derek Holland moved his fWAR up to 3.5 and that puts him behind only Wainright and Harvey. Pretty crazy how he has turned it around. Now, only if Darvish could stop throwing so  many pitches and focus more on throwing strikes, the Rangers could have 2 7+ WAR pitchers by season's end. 

Also, Profar needs to play more. It doesn't matter where. He needs to be in the line up. 

Darvish needs to focus on cutting down on the longball. His stats are ridiculous if you remove them. It is pretty much the only way teams score on him.

Yeah, that too. I'm really tired of seeing him in the 5th inning with 80+ pitches. Sunday is gonna be tough. Balls usually fly out of the park in day games here and he is facing off against Latos.

Ah another Harvey wasted. Funny stat....Mets bullpen has given up 25 runs in Harvey starts while Harvey has alone given up 26 runs. Man I cant wait till Sandy reloads this team properly. The pitching is getting there and getting guy like Marlon Byrd and EY JR are paying dividends but the bullpen has never been right in the last 7-8 years. I feel bad for this kid. 

Rangers with another series win against a decent team. That makes 4 in a row following that forgettable sweep by Toronto. Now they should have relatively easy series at home against both Seattle and Houston. Was nice to see Darvish finally toss a good game without giving up any home runs. And don't look now, but Joe Nathan is quite possibly having the best season of his career at 38 years old.

Dodgers have picked up 5 games in 8 days. 3.5 games separate the entire NL West.
You can partially thank the Braves' sweep of Arizona for that.

Speaking of which, I spent Thursday-Monday in Atlanta and saw the Friday and Sunday games. Friday was Chipper's number retirement and induction into the Braves' HOF. A cool ceremony, and the 10 in the outfield grass was a nice touch. Teheran pitched lights out and we won 3-0.

Being a Braves fan for over 20 years now, it was awesome to finally take in a game there. Turner Field is beautiful, and the museum with exhibits dedicated to each of the seasons during the division winning run were cool to see. Atlanta is a nice city, but I wish I could've found one goddamn Diet Pepsi. Coke has a monopoly on that town.

Now they should have relatively easy series at home against both Seattle and Houston.
Well not a good start against Seattle, especially with Hernandez and Iwakuma(although he hasn't been good in the last month) coming next.

Kershaw's ERA is 1.93 and this is after his "rocky" month. We passed the Giants in the standings yesterday. San Fran is now in last place. And they got no hit yesterday. 

It was a good day. 

And Puig's BA is up to .443. All you Pony. 

Kershaw's ERA is 1.93 and this is after his "rocky" month. We passed the Giants in the standings yesterday. San Fran is now in last place. And they got no hit yesterday.

It was a good day.

And Puig's BA is up to .443. All you Pony.
I haven't been paying too much attention, who is going to be the odd man out when Crawford comes back? Or will they try and rotate through all 4 guys?

Honestly, the Manny Ramirez signing is ultimately meaningless. Worst case scenario is that Jeff Baker possibly needs season ending surgery, or Cruz is suspended, or Berkman is done with his knee flaring up again, and only if all of those happen, will he be on the 25 man roster. 

The Angels beg to differ.

And the best thing about the Manny signing is that it forces him to hack off the dreads. 

And...the Dodgers are putting Marmol on waivers to try and get him to the minors. Why did they trade for him again?

Also, if you were an NL West team, would you risk a claim to try and force the Dodgers to keep him?

I haven't been paying too much attention, who is going to be the odd man out when Crawford comes back? Or will they try and rotate through all 4 guys?
I think they're going to pretend to timeshare until someone dips but Ethier is definitely on the hot seat.

And...the Dodgers are putting Marmol on waivers to try and get him to the minors. Why did they trade for him again?

Also, if you were an NL West team, would you risk a claim to try and force the Dodgers to keep him?
The Dodgers did it for international signing dollars. It was actually a pretty clever move. They'd love someone to claim him even for league minimum money. It tilts the dollars in the trade in the Dodgers direction. Not that the Dodgers are that concerned about numbers less than 10 figures at this point.

The subtext for Dodger fans is that this is not the kind of move Coletti would ever make, it's much more likely Kasten did it. Will Coletti hit the curb this summer?

I'm really impressed with how well the MLB.tv app works on PS3. It has been running in HD all day since the early Nats/Brewers game up until now with the Braves/Marlins, and I've had one hiccup of probably 5 seconds. That's with Netflix running on a Wii in a different room, along with streaming Pandora from a different device. This is all on a fairly average 3mb connection. The 360 app would've been chugging all day with all that going on.

Also, it's stupid that they actually leave the commercial breaks in the archived games.

So, are there any spots in your team's home parks that for whatever reason just never have more than a handful of people unless there's a sellout? The left field club seats here at OPACY are always empty and barren unless there's a sellout.

EDIT: Also, I will laugh if Puig loses the final vote.

Puig won't lose the vote. Unless the Giants fans stuff the ballot for Pence. 

The AL Extra Man vote is a joke. As good as some of these guys have been, especially Scheppers, why the hell are they all right handed set-up men? Couldn't squeeze Beltre, Longoria and Donaldson in there?

Puig might lose, you have dmaul casting a ton of votes for Freeman.

I don't know if Wright really has all the say in picking the contestants for the HR Derby, but it's bullshit either way.  Dom Brown wanted to participate, but Harper and Cuddyer(?!?!) are chosen.  Guess I won't have to waste my time watching that shit, Davis is going to destroy anyway.

Call me a masochist, but as a Yankee fan I'm really digging this season. All teams in the league and neck to neck, the line up is a complete mess, and yet the games are really fun to watch. I mean, Ichiro with a 78 wRC has been their third best position player. It's entertaining to see a butch of no names scrap up wins.
fuck this team.

How about my Red Sox! They actually feel like a TEAM this yr instead of 25 individuals. Maybe Bobby Valentine was the best thing that could have happened to them. They finally realized they weren't the Yankees and started focusing on role players at 1/5 of the cost of superstars like Crawford and AGon. That's how they were so successful all throughout the 00's.

I didn't know what to think initially with the blockbuster salary dump to the dodgers, but now I'm starting to think Cherington is a worthy successor to Theo. I love the addition of Carp and Gomes as very solid clubhouse guys. Also Dempster, solid strike thrower who is going to eat up some innings and keep it loose in the clubhouse.

They still need some depth at SP with all the injuries they have sustained, but so far in 2013 they have far exceeded any expectations I had for them.

Glad to see the A's being able to pull off some close wins against the Pirates. The A.L. west has been exciting this year between the A's & Rangers and I don't anticipate it being any different through the rest of the season.

fuck this team.
They'll be fine.

Help is coming, be it guys coming off the DL or players acquired through trade. Admittedly, I haven't watched much of them this year (gave up my season tickets) but from what I've seen they are an easy team to root for. I'm sure if someone told you no A-Rod, Jeter, Tex and Granderson for most the season you would think we would be about 10 games below .500 but that has not been the case.

I for one am really impressed by what they've done so far.

They'll be fine.

Help is coming, be it guys coming off the DL or players acquired through trade. Admittedly, I haven't watched much of them this year (gave up my season tickets) but from what I've seen they are an easy team to root for. I'm sure if someone told you no A-Rod, Jeter, Tex and Granderson for most the season you would think we would be about 10 games below .500 but that has not been the case.

I for one am really impressed by what they've done so far.
Yes, a 39 year old shortstop and a 38 year old 3B, both of whom are coming of very serious injuries, will rejuvenate this team. Not to mention that the 3B is bound to be suspended for 50-100 games.

They are not going anywhere this year. Trade Cano and Kuroda, let this season go.

bread's done
Back