2013 Thrift Store Thread

@sp00ge I think it's the v1.2-1.5, I'll double check later today. I just found 2 more xboxs today for $5 each ended up buying one to try my luck again. the other one had soda dried up and sticky all over it.

Edit: the box I got today had a copy of Halo 2 in it! The console works and plays the game but the disc drive sounds like a lawnmower.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Bing147']Found some good stuff this week.

All three Bandai Legend of Heroes PSP games (not Trails in the Sky, the other 3). Already have them but for 4.99 each, I figure I can lot them up on eBay for 40.00 or so.
[/QUOTE]

Before you sell, I'd really suggest you play them if you haven't already. I've played throught the first 3 and working on for. I even went as far that my son's name is Avin. I didn't tell my wife where it came from until after we got his birth certificate ;)

[quote name='Mirpkered']Before you sell, I'd really suggest you play them if you haven't already. I've played throught the first 3 and working on for. I even went as far that my son's name is Avin. I didn't tell my wife where it came from until after we got his birth certificate ;)[/QUOTE]

How many nights did you sleep on the couch?

[quote name='Kovorkian']How many nights did you sleep on the couch?[/QUOTE]

None actually. I got her to where the name grew on her and when I finally 'broke the news', she suspected it and didn't really care. Way less drama than I would have thought.

I originally wanted to name him Draknor. I told my wife that if he was going to be a Vampire Killer he needed a Vampire Hunter name. She didn't buy it.

Another "eh" trip to Goodwill today. Got a disc/case copy of Gauntlet Dark Legacy :xbox: for $2. I also got prematurely excited when I found a college hoops game for the :360:. It was 2k7, and only worth about $5-6, so I passed.

I also picked up a Sony CDP-CX210 200-disc CD changer for $10. I had my eyes peeled for a changer for awhile now and any I've found have only been 50-100 disc for $40+, so this one is a definite deal. I already have it installed and it works awesome.

[quote name='Mirpkered']None actually. I got her to where the name grew on her and when I finally 'broke the news', she suspected it and didn't really care. Way less drama than I would have thought.

I originally wanted to name him Draknor. I told my wife that if he was going to be a Vampire Killer he needed a Vampire Hunter name. She didn't buy it.[/QUOTE]

Nice.

Alucard would be better

No finds recently >.> I've pretty much learned that any non sports / shovelware game priced at $3 should be an instant buy.

I pretty much just use VideoGames Price charting to figure out how good of a deal I'm getting. I never would pay the "market price" listed there. Ebay is so inflated.

Just picked up these all CIB for $4 each.

Silent Hill [Greatest Hits] PS1
Silent Hill 2 PS2
Silent Hill 3 PS2

Not a bad afternoon.

Nice finds this week
imag05771.jpg

Each console was $5 as none had cords and weren't tested. I thought goodwill was gonna price them at 60+ for sure. Mario Bros. 2 and 3 were a buck each. Not in the picture but I found a cart only NSMB without a tag. Cashier just went with .49 since she had to price it on the fly. All the 360's have the RROD and two of the disc trays aren't working. I'm gonna try to fix one of the white one's and if it pans out I'll fix the Halo one for my little brother's room.

nice. Even at $5 if you can't fix them, it's a worthwhile gamestop flip.

So all the games at Savers has been moved to the front of the store on an endcap bc of all the ppl stealing the games. I walk in and see nothing but sport titles so I walk around the store for 20 minutes checking out the other stuff. When I am ready to go I check the games again to find a fresh stock of A-title gamecube games. SSB $9.99, Mario Kart $4.99, Super Monkey ball - $1.99 and all the other games were $2.99

dscf5979b.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

[quote name='white3er']So all the games at Savers has been moved to the front of the store on an endcap bc of all the ppl stealing the games. I walk in and see nothing but sport titles so I walk around the store for 20 minutes checking out the other stuff. When I am ready to go I check the games again to find a fresh stock of A-title gamecube games. SSB $9.99, Mario Kart $4.99, Super Monkey ball - $1.99 and all the other games were $2.99

dscf5979b.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG][/QUOTE]

ba391049_comment-friday-damn.jpeg

I went yesterday and seen a $9 Gamecube and a $6 Gamecube, passed. I hear this kid saying something like "I cant believe they have this here". I look over and hes showing his grandma a N64 with 2 controllers and then puts it in the cart and says "I wonder if they have any games somewhere?".........thats when my jealous ass walks over to the dvd section real fast! Nothing but the same DJ Heros and some sports games......glance over and see 3 SNES games. Left Wheel Of Fortune and Lion King but grabbed Mario AllStars.

I got 10 mins before I have to get back to work............line is long as hell. I put the game in a box on a shelf and left. Went back today and got it, the other SNES games were gone though so good thing I thought about hiding the good one. I cant help but feel like I also missed out on the SNES itself and some good games for all 3 systems.

[quote name='white3er']So all the games at Savers has been moved to the front of the store on an endcap bc of all the ppl stealing the games. I walk in and see nothing but sport titles so I walk around the store for 20 minutes checking out the other stuff. When I am ready to go I check the games again to find a fresh stock of A-title gamecube games. SSB $9.99, Mario Kart $4.99, Super Monkey ball - $1.99 and all the other games were $2.99[/QUOTE]
The Savers in my area has never been near as kind, always overpriced and nothing ever noteworthy, though most of the items are in good shape / complete. Also this particular Savers doesn't allow returns on media, which is why I routinely shop at GW instead.

Stopped by my GW over the weekend and found someone donated a modest Wii collection. Only game I found worth the $4.99 sticker was :wii: Resident Evil 4, which I've always wanted to play and came in great, complete shape. Shame this person didn't have much taste otherwise (Far Cry Vengeance, anyone?), as every game was in as good of condition.

stopped by the GW this morning because a stupid client canceled on me. Picked up a copy of NBA2K10 for 360 and a SW TFU guide for 3 bucks after my "student" discount.

ask to see a box behind the counter after I pay, and the is a Saturn with 2 guns, 2 controllers, and about 5 games (2 without the case). the price- $99.99 I told the lady thats way too much for me and she ask "how much then?" I said 40 is the best I could do, so she says I can ask the manager if thats ok. I said don't worry about it, but kind of am kicking myself for not getting at least a No from management.

but its not like I play the one I have anyway...

[quote name='MasaTFC']stopped by the GW this morning because a stupid client canceled on me. Picked up a copy of NBA2K10 for 360 and a SW TFU guide for 3 bucks after my "student" discount.

ask to see a box behind the counter after I pay, and the is a Saturn with 2 guns, 2 controllers, and about 5 games (2 without the case). the price- $99.99 I told the lady thats way too much for me and she ask "how much then?" I said 40 is the best I could do, so she says I can ask the manager if thats ok. I said don't worry about it, but kind of am kicking myself for not getting at least a No from management.

but its not like I play the one I have anyway...[/QUOTE]

Which GW?

It's all yours. Too far for me to bother.

Today I picked up a few Gamecube controllers, all official wired for $2/ea. Two platinum and one spice, which is the one color I've been trying to get.

Also, if anyone in Pittsburgh has small feet (~mens 7.5), my GW has a shitload of brand new steel toe boots and shoes for 3.99. All kinds of brands. They were priced 20+ a few days ago, but because of the small size, they are clearing them out.

I picked up the only pair of Doc Martens last week for $25, and the manager I'm friendly with said she'd give me a price adjustment if I bring my receipt in when she's working tomorrow. $4 for a pair of brand new Doc Martens, can't beat that.

BTW - the Docs were size 8, and I wear 8.5 normally (yeah, small feet, :hot:). They are a little snug, but should be okay once they are broken in.

[quote name='sp00ge']It's all yours. Too far for me to bother.

Today I picked up a few Gamecube controllers, all official wired for $2/ea. Two platinum and one spice, which is the one color I've been trying to get.

Also, if anyone in Pittsburgh has small feet (~mens 7.5), my GW has a shitload of brand new steel toe boots and shoes for 3.99. All kinds of brands. They were priced 20+ a few days ago, but because of the small size, they are clearing them out.

I picked up the only pair of Doc Martens last week for $25, and the manager I'm friendly with said she'd give me a price adjustment if I bring my receipt in when she's working tomorrow. $4 for a pair of brand new Doc Martens, can't beat that.

BTW - the Docs were size 8, and I wear 8.5 normally (yeah, small feet, :hot:). They are a little snug, but should be okay once they are broken in.[/QUOTE]

nice find on the docs. it takes a bit of walking to wear them in though. I have a pair I got about 15 years ago and never really wore them for that reason lol

if I could find something gamecube related for my cordless/comtrollerless system, I would be thrilled

BTW sp00ge, cut me a deal (or trade me) that copy of Diaster Report you have listed on the store front!

[quote name='MasaTFC']nice find on the docs. it takes a bit of walking to wear them in though. I have a pair I got about 15 years ago and never really wore them for that reason lol

if I could find something gamecube related for my cordless/comtrollerless system, I would be thrilled

BTW sp00ge, cut me a deal (or trade me) that copy of Diaster Report you have listed on the store front![/QUOTE]

I have 3 pairs of docs (fiance has 5 or 6), and one pair I've had since my sophomore year of high school, and I graduated in 98. They are well worn and definitely broken in, and holding up rather well. I think they've only lost one eyelet, and the tags on the back have ripped off, but are still pretty solid. I don't wear them as often anymore, usually only to concerts.

If you need a controller or two, let me know. I still have to test them, but I really had no plans for them. If you want to trade for anything I have, send me a PM.

imag05851.jpg

Paid 15 for the bundle. Already have Mario Kart so I'm going to sell it and get my money back. Now I got 4 controllers for some N64 parties! Also ordered the tools and parts to fix up the broken 360's. Idk where I'm going to get spare AV cables and power supplies to flip them to GS if I can't fix them though.

I envy you guys! All I find at my local Goodwill stores is empty PS1 cases and clearance games from Target at FULL RETAIL. In a couple of weeks I should be seeing Resident Evil games for 3DS priced at $24.99.

Another lackluster'ish day:

All $2/ea-
Gears of War :360:
The Biggest Loser :wii:
Sonic Heros :gc:
Spyro A Hero's Tail :gc:
Teen Titans (Sealed, the only real gem of the day) :gc:

And then I picked up an El Degas C-79 Vintage Acoustic guitar in case for $25. Sounds good and a little dirty, but it just needs tuned and cleaned up. The only bad part is the case is a bit mildewy, so hopefully the guitar hasn't absorbed the odor.

Better than my day. I found NOTHING. Ended up stopping at a game store and picking up a copy of Rocket Robot on Wheels for N64 for 8.00 but that is literally the only thing I grabbed and I hit 6 places.

I stopped at a Goodwill near work today that I very rarely stop at because they A. Almost never have anything and B. Overprices everything and consults eBay and Amazon on prices. Today was no different, they had a stack of PS2, XBox, and Gamecube games behind the jewelry case, with the shovelwar garbage priced at $9.99, and everything going up from there. Only real deal was a copy of Tales of Symphonia priced at $19.99, which granted I could have still made a profit flipping it, even at that price, but ultimately I passed on principal. No sense paying inflated prices and reinforcing the idea that they can keep charging them. You want Amazon prices, sell on Amazon, don't waste my time.

[quote name='sp00ge']Another lackluster'ish day:

All $2/ea-
Gears of War :360:
The Biggest Loser :wii:
Sonic Heros :gc:
Spyro A Hero's Tail :gc:
Teen Titans (Sealed, the only real gem of the day) :gc:[/QUOTE]
At this point, any complete, good condition copy of a Gamecube game is well worth the $2, if only for the official cases. I remember someone on here linking a site to buy the cases and cover arts (not the bulk ones on Amazon, specific ones for certain games), but I always like buying things B&M if I can.

[quote name='spmahn']I stopped at a Goodwill near work today that I very rarely stop at because they A. Almost never have anything and B. Overprices everything and consults eBay and Amazon on prices. Today was no different, they had a stack of PS2, XBox, and Gamecube games behind the jewelry case, with the shovelwar garbage priced at $9.99, and everything going up from there. Only real deal was a copy of Tales of Symphonia priced at $19.99, which granted I could have still made a profit flipping it, even at that price, but ultimately I passed on principal. No sense paying inflated prices and reinforcing the idea that they can keep charging them. You want Amazon prices, sell on Amazon, don't waste my time.[/QUOTE]

The real kick to the nutz is the fact that they dont pay a single penny for anything that people drop off! Then they look up the biggest price they can find on Ebay or Amazon.

Found a few things at goodwill recently, after I started stopping in more frequently. All different times: 2.38 for Psychonauts PC, 3.38 each for Namco Museum 64 (cart) and Kirby's Pinball Land (cart), and 4.38 each for We Heart Katamari PS2 and Zelda Ocarina of Time for 3DS. Also found a guide for Super Mario 64 for .17 at a Salvation Army.

A couple finds today:

SNES av cable $1
Superman unbound DVD $3
The dark knight returns part 1 DVD $3
Now I need to either find part 1 or rent it so I watch the whole thing.

Made a trip out to Pottsville, PA today. I was there Saturday and looked around a little, but didn't have a lot of time/cash on me at the time, so wanted to go back. Ended up stopping at a few different stores. As usual, nothing mind blowing but still some nice pickups. Here's what I got:

- Bomberman 64 (N64, cart only) - $5 ; Arizona Video (they also had Resident Evil on GC for $5 on Saturday, but it was gone today so was kinda bummed about that)

- (3) Bully: Scholarship Edition (PC, Complete) and Tokyo Xtreme Racing 2 (Dreamcast, Complete) - $7 total ; Encore This & That

On the way home, decided to drive around the town of Frackville and hunt. Stopped at some thrift store I'm not even sure what the name is. Got:

- Star Wars: Knight Of The Old Republic 1 & 2 (Xbox, Complete) & Digimon World 4 (PS2, no manual) - $15

Finally got home to Shamokin and stopped at my local thrift. Picked up:

- Nintendo 64 console in box (w/controller, hookups), Super Mario 64 & NFL Blitz (carts only) - $15

Sorry, I'm too lazy/have to go to work soon or I'd post pics. But everything is in good shape. Some things might need a little cleaning, but overall pretty happy with my pickups.

Stopped by my GW again yesterday and picked up :ps2: Ratchet and Clank and :ps2: R&C Going Commando for $2.99 each, not a super great price, but nice that they were both complete and in great condition. Atoning for selling them years ago (which I still have the saves for both of them on my memory card).

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']Stopped by my GW again yesterday and picked up :ps2: Ratchet and Clank and :ps2: R&C Going Commando for $2.99 each, not a super great price, but nice that they were both complete and in great condition. Atoning for selling them years ago (which I still have the saves for both of them on my memory card).[/QUOTE]

Nice, Going Commando is one of the best imo

Gameboy Advance SP Classic NES version with Earthworm Jim 2 and most of the original packaging (minus charger) for $17

[quote name='SPS']Gameboy Advance SP Classic NES version with Earthworm Jim 2 and most of the original packaging (minus charger) for $17[/QUOTE]
Veddy veddy nice. If you plan on keeping it I think I've got a spare charger lying around somewhere.

Stopped at a couple of places today and didn't find squat, though I had a decent pawn shop find. Half of the thrift stores here are on one side of town, and half of them are all the way on the other side. It's not a very big city, but it's a bit far to bike all the way to one end, then all the way back. The ones I stopped at today are the ones I usually skip out on, the side of town I was on today has a great pawn but meh thrifts, the other side is the opposite :/

Went back to Savers the day after that last N64 haul and found these.

Just noticed Mario Party 3 and another game, I forgot which, are missing out of the pic. Other stuff is from GW 50% off media day.

I hate how Savers packs the cart games, they put them in bags so you can only see one game, and then they put a good game with a sports game...Guess I can't complain too much they usually tag them $2-4 a bag for 2 games or sometimes 3.

My favorite find from yesterday!

Oh yeah, he was only $4!

[quote name='stiner']
My favorite find from yesterday!

Oh yeah, he was only $4!
[/QUOTE]

Dat box! So awesome! Haha. :D

Damn, even has the Triceratops Zord's horns. Kick ass find.

My local thrift shop got in a bunch of Asian copies of Bourne Ultimatum and Green Zone Blu-rays. Cases were a much darker blue than normal and aside from the Asian sticker slapped on the front it looks like a normal US release, aside from the top spine sticker in the Spider-man movie font.

They have one of those at a Goodwill by me, I thought maybe I had some competition until I saw you paid $4. They want $75 "As-Is"!

Yeah, I picked it up thinking it would have a huge price tag but saw the $4 tag and all I could think was SOLD! lol

Stopped at a few local thrifts again today. I had to stop back at the place I just bought my boxed N64 from because she forgot to put the a/v cable in the box. So grabbed that and picked up:

- Super Mario Advance & Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario 3 (GBA, cart only) - $4

At a place called Wayne's world I got Blackjack for the NES for $5, cart only.

Then right before work, stopped at another place and saw nothing at first. Asked if they had anymore games and the kid grabbed the stack that they look up on ebay before they sell them. Found these:

- Dusty Diamond's All-Star Softball & Zelda II (NES, cart only). Paid $30 for them.

Sucks that they look everything up or else that could've been a great steal. They still give me decent deals I suppose, seeing as how DD Softball alone goes in the $50 range loose. Just wish I could find these games at the other stores that don't look them up!

[quote name='jk17866']Stopped at a few local thrifts again today. I had to stop back at the place I just bought my boxed N64 from because she forgot to put the a/v cable in the box. So grabbed that and picked up:

- Super Mario Advance & Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario 3 (GBA, cart only) - $4

At a place called Wayne's world I got Blackjack for the NES for $5, cart only.

Then right before work, stopped at another place and saw nothing at first. Asked if they had anymore games and the kid grabbed the stack that they look up on ebay before they sell them. Found these:

- Dusty Diamond's All-Star Softball & Zelda II (NES, cart only). Paid $30 for them.

Sucks that they look everything up or else that could've been a great steal. They still give me decent deals I suppose, seeing as how DD Softball alone goes in the $50 range loose. Just wish I could find these games at the other stores that don't look them up![/QUOTE]

Did not realize DD had went up that high. I rescued one from a rental store for a couple bucks in the mid 90's when they were making room for Snes carts.

Struck out at yardsales this morning so I decided to stop by GW while I was out getting a soda.

$5- Reebok Kurt Warner STL Rams jersey. Not a big football fan but it looks brand new

$5- mini SNES, system only. Needs some serious cleaning but it booted right up with my extra adapters and controllers.

$15- Black Gamecube with the GBA Player and ac adapter. Its an older one with the component port (no cables though). Sadly there was no boot disc to be found as well. Kicking myself for not buying that one I saw a few months ago at a bookstore!!!

Another eclectic GW weekend for me. Picked up a sealed copy of
iconds.gif
Brain Age 2 for $4, since I'm a sucker for sealed games.

Saw a copy of
icongamecube.gif
Sonic Adventure DX, though it had Metroid Prime Echoes Bonus disc in there instead of Sonic for $3. Ended up getting it since I could use an official Gamecube case, and I never got the bonus disc before. Tempted to track down an official double disc case and print out the Prime + Bonus cover now.

Then I picked up a copy of Quiddler for $0.50, which is something I enjoyed playing with a friend that brought it over a few months ago, so it was a no-brainer to add it to my board / card game collection.

bread's done
Back