2013 Thrift Store Thread

Yes, stand alone systems with no hook-ups are going for around $30-50 bucks plus shipping, and some of those aren't even working. I didn't realize that myself until someone took note of it earlier in this thread.
Holy cow wow. I will definitely go after work tomorrow and see if I can make a flip. Thanks.

Listed 2 slim PS2s at $50 with free shipping last week, had a buyer and payment in 20 mins! They were system onlys I found at GW for $6 apiece. One worked for an hr then the power lite flashed for a second and never turned on, same with the other. Guy seemed really happy and asked if I had anymore! Guess its an easy fix, oh well I have a working slim I got for $10 complete one day. Plus I made some profit. 

It's been pretty dry around here too, the only finds I've gotten in the past few weeks are:
PS1 Megaman 8 disc only $1
PS1 men in Black series $2
N64 power brick $2

I've sold a few PS2's also and have gotten people asking for more, I wonder if they are exporting them or using them for another purpose, i think its possible to install Linux in a PS2

I found 2 NES controllers and a grey Zapper for $3 apiece today. No system or games to be found! Maybe there never was one, why would someone buy the system and leave everything else?? I now have people wanting me to spray paint an NES for them after showing off the one I did. I said "uhhh maybe if I find some more, I dont find them as often as I used to!"

My local Salvation Army had a Grand Re-Opening yesterday and everything in store except Red Tags and New Mattresses were 50% off.

Sadly, the store opened at 8am and I came by at 9:45ish. Meaning I potentially missed out on a lot of neat stuff. (Darn you Family for taking their sweet time getting ready)

But with slim pickings, I managed to pick up Mr Bones Complete for Sega Saturn for $2.50, KOTOR II CIB for Xbox for $2.50, a Skylanders Giants Figure for $2, Transformers the Movie: 25th Anniversary Album for $1. My bro picked up Justice League Origin Vol. 1 for $7.50 (Red Tag).

Really jealous of Mr. Bones. Been trying to find that game for awhile.

Not much this week

Got:

:pc: The SIms 2: Pets and Open For Buisness: $3

:pc: Halo Combat Evolved $.99

:pc: Hexen: Beyond Heritic $.99

:pc: Civilization 2: Test Of Time $.99

Last edited by a moderator:
My local goodwill had 2 nes games yesterday.  Double Dribble and Rad Racer for 2 dollars each.  Not exactly games I was looking to pick up but for that price I wasn't going to leave them behind since I didn't have them.

I had another decent find of bagged action figure lots last night;  I picked up five or six bags for $2/ea.

What they contained was a plethora of goodies, ranging from old transformers from the 80s (Micromasters, other randoms), Jurassic Park, Beetleborgs, Power Rangers, various villians, Biker Mice from Mars and a ton others and at least 100 weapons/accessories.  I'm going back in a bit to see if there are anymore, as some of the pieces that of Megazord are missing.

Some of them I'm not even sure of.  I may actually make a thread to help identify what's what and what parts go where (and maybe make a contest of it).

I'll post pics tonight once the kids are in bed (since the little one will not leave them alone long enough to get any pics).

I found a nice condition Hofner bass guitar for wii Beatles rockband. It powers on but I have no dongle to test it out. $10

Some of them I'm not even sure of. I may actually make a thread to help identify what's what and what parts go where (and maybe make a contest of it).
I'd second this idea. I have some figures that I've got not idea about or what run of a series they may have been from i.e. the TMNT Paleo Patrol.

Today I went to a few shops in a different town and had some good luck: 

Original Xbox S controller, new in package for $5

Guitar Hero 1 and 2 for PS2 $.50 each

Gamecube official controller $2.50

Sewer Shark for Sega CD, disc only $1 

Total F*CK moment today. I get there and see a dude holding a Super Gameboy cartridge, hear him say "dang thats it, I think someone got the system". Then his buddy was all like "dude look heres some games" and then eventually finds the system. Another friend walks up and they eventually have like 25 games. They got a mini SNES for $8 and at least Super Mario Kart, a Super Gameboy, Super Mario Allstars, and Donkey Kong Countrys but thats all I found out. Dude sees my NES controller tshirt and says "looking for games?" and I was like "honestly I see youve beaten me to the punch". He tells me about some little bag he left some games in and I check it out after they leave with the goods. I end up with these for $3 apiece.-

Ascii Pad, Super Pad, official controller, Congos Caper, Super Wrestlemania, Jurassic Park, Wheel Of Fortune Deluxe Edition, Bubsy, Tiny Tiny Toons Buster Busts Loose, Mario Paint, Pinball Dreams, Ms Pacman, Pac Attack, Space Invaders, Killer Instinct, and Super Offroad The Baja. 

Total F*CK moment today. I get there and see a dude holding a Super Gameboy cartridge, hear him say "dang thats it, I think someone got the system". Then his buddy was all like "dude look heres some games" and then eventually finds the system. Another friend walks up and they eventually have like 25 games. They got a mini SNES for $8 and at least Super Mario Kart, a Super Gameboy, Super Mario Allstars, and Donkey Kong Countrys but thats all I found out. Dude sees my NES controller tshirt and says "looking for games?" and I was like "honestly I see youve beaten me to the punch".
Painful, makes you think about what time you wasted before going there that day that could of made the difference between the scores. At least you got something out of it though.

Yeah I was totally gonna go right after I mowed grass but then said "naww ill take a shower first". Sweaty me wouldve had all the stuff! Oh well, since that post I saw that Congos Caper is $10-$20 on Ebay and I couldnt find the exact bag but the Eddie Bauer bag all that stuff was in is at least a $20 bag from the looks of the others they sale. 

Yeah I was totally gonna go right after I mowed grass but then said "naww ill take a shower first". Sweaty me wouldve had all the stuff!
I've seen (and smelled) worse people than that in the Goodwill aisles (some locations moreso than others...), though showering was probably a good idea.

Had a small pick up, the NES games were $2 each, and the Pac-Man puzzle was only a buck (shown here on Amazon, has a fun little poem / rap on the back of it). Kind of beat up box, but the pieces look good, I'll have to put it together sometime to see if it's complete or not. I love the NES box / label art for VICE: Project Doom, they don't make 'em like that anymore.

My Store had 2 PS1's for $5 and $8 and a complete Xbox minus the controller for $25.

Oh and this too.

534828_639561736056101_1147200114_n.jpg

fuck yes... Perfect condition with a stylus, GBA cover, Star Wars The Force Unleashed 2

Went on my lunch break today, looking for any leftovers from yesterday or anything new. Passed on a Genesis with controller and cables for $10 and an Xbox with a controller and cables for $20. Ended up finding 2 Wii Nunchuks for $4 apiece but they were rubber banded together so she just rang it up as $4!  

Picked up a Rock Band Special edition set for PS3 for $15 today.  Despite there being a note on the box claiming that it was complete, it was missing the game and the microphone.  Debating whether it's worth my time to complain about it.  Missing the game isn't a huge loss, but I kind of want the microphone.

Also picked up a copy of Defender of the Crown for the NES for 50 cents.  It even came with the instructions and box art (though it was cut up and put in a rental case).

Picked up a Rock Band Special edition set for PS3 for $15 today. Despite there being a note on the box claiming that it was complete, it was missing the game and the microphone. Debating whether it's worth my time to complain about it. Missing the game isn't a huge loss, but I kind of want the microphone.

Also picked up a copy of Defender of the Crown for the NES for 50 cents. It even came with the instructions and box art (though it was cut up and put in a rental case).

Why would you trust the person just because they wrote it's complete? It even looks like a kids handwriting.

I can put a brick in my console boxes and tape them shut with a note saying they are complete too.

Why would you trust the person just because they wrote it's complete? It even looks like a kids handwriting.

I can put a brick in my console boxes and tape them shut with a note saying they are complete too.
It was a thrift store chain that checks all they're electronics and assures that they're functioning, so I assumed this wouldn't be any different. Plus I guess I'm a pretty trusting person?

it would have been a pain to open in the store anyhow. I needed to use a knife once I got it home.

Either way, they've got a pretty lenient return policy, and I may just go that route, as I bought it mainly for the drums and microphone.

It was a thrift store chain that checks all they're electronics and assures that they're functioning, so I assumed this wouldn't be any different. Plus I guess I'm a pretty trusting person?

it would have been a pain to open in the store anyhow. I needed to use a knife once I got it home.

Either way, they've got a pretty lenient return policy, and I may just go that route, as I bought it mainly for the drums and microphone.

Never trust electronics coming from the used market. Yard sale, garage sale, thrift store, craigslist etc

I often pass on lots of systems when the price is right around fair. I will only buy a system when

A. I got to see it tested physically

B. The asking price is so good it's still worth it if it's broken for parts.

Other wise you are basically buying blind. Personally I would have opened it back in my car before going home. I see people get things switched all the time. I see it a lot with used games at gamestop.

Someone buys a lot of used games and doesn't check them all and they either get a blank case or a wrong game. Often times the wrong game being a prequel or sequel to what was intended to buy.

Which is why I say check, check and check again lol. Would have saved you the bit of trouble.

Oregon Trail 3rd edition- Had a suprise in the jewel case and that was Amazon Trail 3rd edition. Not bad for .99 cents

Battle Arena Toshinden 2 PC version sealed for $3. No idea if this was a good deal or not.

I just hit the jackpot at a Goodwill. They had Final Fantasy X, but it was missing all of the discs. I also overheard a guy talking to a customer about all of these rare Nintendo games they had just sold(Super Mario and a lot of other rare games).

But I left the store with a lot of very cheap stuff:

Kinect sensor with all of the cables-$20

white xbox 360 wireless controller-$7

black xbox 360 wireless controller-$7

Beatles Rockband foot button for the drums-$3

SEALED Create for the PC-$3

PS2 N4S Hot Pursuit 2-$3

xbox 360 plants vs zombies-$3

xbox 360 spiderman 3-$3

SEALED xbox 360 call of duty 3(platinum hits)-$3

xbox 360 NCAA basketball 09-$3

xbox 360 motion sports-$3

xbox 360 call of duty 2 special edition-$3

xbox 360 Battlefield 3 limited edition-$7

xbox 360 NCAA Football 11-$4

xbox 360 Cabelas Dangerous Hunts 2011-$3

xbox 360 Call of Duty World at War(platinum hits)-$5

SEALED xbox 360 Deca Sports Freedom-$4

xbox 360 Aliens vs Pedators-$3

xbox 360 Kinect sports-$3

xbox 360 The Incredible Hulk-$3

xbox 360 NCAA Football 10-$3

xbox 360 NBA 2k12-$4

xbox 360 NBA 2k11-$4

xbox 360 NBA 2k10-$3

xbox 360 Forza 3-$3

My total was about $120 after tax.

There were even more xbox 360 games, but they were all old sports.

Sorta pissed today. Went into Goodwill and thought I was about to make a huge score. Behind the jewelry case they had a large pile of NES and N64 games, good titles too like Battletoads, Bucky O'Hare, Contra, and several first party N64 games. I found someone to take them out of the case for me, and only then did I realize why it was that these games spent more than a fraction of a second on the sales floor, the prices weren't normal high, they weren't collector high, they weren't eBay high, they were you must be on a totally different planet high! The junk NES titles, sports crap and such were marked $25, Contra was $30, Battletoads was $35, Bucky O'Hare was $45, the N64 stuff was $25 and up.

Not just crazy, just completely bat shit insane. I grumbled for a minute and asked the associate if she knew why the prices were so high, and she just shrugged her shoulders at me. I ended up with nothing, because there was literally nothing at a price worth buying. The sad part is that someone is going to come along and see this stuff, think classic games = money, and pay the crazy prices, or someone who just doesn't know better. fuck you Goodwill!

On a little roll here. Picked up The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess in the case but no booklet for $3.24 then I was looking at the donation "book sale" cart at my work (library) and in a clear dvd case was Soul Calibur IV Greatest Hits for PS3, it was $1.50!

Sorta pissed today. Went into Goodwill and thought I was about to make a huge score. Behind the jewelry case they had a large pile of NES and N64 games, good titles too like Battletoads, Bucky O'Hare, Contra, and several first party N64 games. I found someone to take them out of the case for me, and only then did I realize why it was that these games spent more than a fraction of a second on the sales floor, the prices weren't normal high, they weren't collector high, they weren't eBay high, they were you must be on a totally different planet high! The junk NES titles, sports crap and such were marked $25, Contra was $30, Battletoads was $35, Bucky O'Hare was $45, the N64 stuff was $25 and up.

Not just crazy, just completely bat shit insane. I grumbled for a minute and asked the associate if she knew why the prices were so high, and she just shrugged her shoulders at me. I ended up with nothing, because there was literally nothing at a price worth buying. The sad part is that someone is going to come along and see this stuff, think classic games = money, and pay the crazy prices, or someone who just doesn't know better. fuck you Goodwill!

Oh come on man, those games would go perfect with that $250 dirty yellowed NES I found from GW a few weeks ago!

Thrifts have been crazy dry lately. Found a copy of Croc for ps1 for 1.99 last week. 3 weeks ago I found Omega Boost for 1.99. Thats it...

I just hit the jackpot at a Goodwill. They had Final Fantasy X, but it was missing all of the discs. I also overheard a guy talking to a customer about all of these rare Nintendo games they had just sold(Super Mario and a lot of other rare games).

But I left the store with a lot of very cheap stuff:

Kinect sensor with all of the cables-$20
white xbox 360 wireless controller-$7
black xbox 360 wireless controller-$7
Beatles Rockband foot button for the drums-$3
SEALED Create for the PC-$3
PS2 N4S Hot Pursuit 2-$3
xbox 360 plants vs zombies-$3
xbox 360 spiderman 3-$3
SEALED xbox 360 call of duty 3(platinum hits)-$3
xbox 360 NCAA basketball 09-$3
xbox 360 motion sports-$3
xbox 360 call of duty 2 special edition-$3
xbox 360 Battlefield 3 limited edition-$7
xbox 360 NCAA Football 11-$4
xbox 360 Cabelas Dangerous Hunts 2011-$3
xbox 360 Call of Duty World at War(platinum hits)-$5
SEALED xbox 360 Deca Sports Freedom-$4
xbox 360 Aliens vs Pedators-$3
xbox 360 Kinect sports-$3
xbox 360 The Incredible Hulk-$3
xbox 360 NCAA Football 10-$3
xbox 360 NBA 2k12-$4
xbox 360 NBA 2k11-$4
xbox 360 NBA 2k10-$3
xbox 360 Forza 3-$3

My total was about $120 after tax.

There were even more xbox 360 games, but they were all old sports.
Epic grabs. Some stuff on that list I would've bought for myself for sure.

Never trust electronics coming from the used market. Yard sale, garage sale, thrift store, craigslist etc
The return policy at Goodwill is the main reason why it's my primary place to shop locally for used games and systems. At my stores they are very lenient on returns, so it's hardly a risk. I don't even consider it a hassle to return it, since I'm usually in there a few times a week anyways.

In the Rockband case above, really there is no reason not to trust it, and in that case it's still an easy return. Worth taking the shot at a complete set for only $15 without opening it in-store.

Nothing worth while at my GW this past week, sports games :whistle2:(
But I did get an awesome deal on this girl's site I'm a part of. Clothes, shoes, accessories etc.
Found someone selling their LE Daxter PSP 2000 with 6 Movies and 4 Games, and a White DS Lite with 5 GBA cartridges, all the Mario games, and a Black gameboy with Pokemon Yellow. I asked if she was open to trading for anything I had.
She wanted 2 pairs of heels that I had (Which originally cost me $15 OOP each) and we made an even trade. I think I got the better deal!

Made for a good weekend when I got a box full of goodies on Saturday after seeing nothing at GW earlier that day.

Nothing worth while at my GW this past week, sports games :whistle2:(
But I did get an awesome deal on this girl's site I'm a part of. Clothes, shoes, accessories etc.
Found someone selling their LE Daxter PSP 2000 with 6 Movies and 4 Games, and a White DS Lite with 5 GBA cartridges, all the Mario games, and a Black gameboy with Pokemon Yellow. I asked if she was open to trading for anything I had.
She wanted 2 pairs of heels that I had (Which originally cost me $15 OOP each) and we made an even trade. I think I got the better deal!

Made for a good weekend when I got a box full of goodies on Saturday after seeing nothing at GW earlier that day.
If it's the place that begins with P, then yeah, deals can sometimes be found there. My fiance sells on there all the time, and she's made some killer trades for video game stuff. The last big trade was a few tops she paid maybe $5 for (from Goodwill), and in return picked up a decent batch of NES games, including TMNT Tournament Fighters. I was a happy boy when that box showed up.

But then again, some people have INSANE asking prices for stuff too.

Found an Xbox 360 component cable for $1. Traded it in to GS for $4.20. Now I'm worried it may have been a slim cable. Anybody know the difference?

Found an Xbox 360 component cable for $1. Traded it in to GS for $4.20. Now I'm worried it may have been a slim cable. Anybody know the difference?
Cables are interchangeable IIRC, but the cables that come with the slim are black, old 360 ones were grey.

If it's the place that begins with P, then yeah, deals can sometimes be found there. My fiance sells on there all the time, and she's made some killer trades for video game stuff. The last big trade was a few tops she paid maybe $5 for (from Goodwill), and in return picked up a decent batch of NES games, including TMNT Tournament Fighters. I was a happy boy when that box showed up.

But then again, some people have INSANE asking prices for stuff too.
Yep P! I've found great deals on Coach on there lol. This was a first for gaming cause it's not supposed to be allowed. But you're right, some of the pricing is really crazy, most of it is used and people are asking more than the new cost plus the 20% fee. Satisfied with my first trade there, might have to look for more games, lol.

Just picked up Castlevania: SotN GH in mint condition for $4.99 and Lego City Undercover Wii U for $25. Lego City has a bunch of fingerprints but that's it. I'm satisfied.

I saw a bunch today.

Random Local Thrift: A Bunch of Rock Band Stuff and a copy of Halo 3 for $6

Goodwill 1: A Sports N64 Game, 3 PS2 Controllers, and a tin full of Yugioh Cards for $4 (The cards are worth way more than $4)

Goodwill 2: An Xbox for $12 with no controller and a bunch of Xbox and PS2 games. Nothing worth it though except Halo 1.

So mostly a bust today. Might try Goodwill 3 for fun.

Went and returned the Rock Band set I picked up on Saturday.  Ended up picking up Ico for $4 since they only give store credit.  It's missing the manual and is an old Blockbuster rental, but it has the case and art.

I also picked up a copy of Kingdom Hearts 358/2 for $6 at a Blockbuster that was going out of business.  They also had a copy of Warioland: Shake It at that price, but it was scratched to hell so I passed.

I stopped by the local thrift store today and found some goodies. I didn't expect there to be any video games whatsoever because most people around here aren't into gaming (most are into the outdoors or meth, sometimes both) but I found Side Pocket and Test Drive II for Genesis, both complete and in good shape (except for Side Pocket's manual). They also had Quarterback Attack for Saturn, also complete; even has the coupons and a little protective sponge. One corner of the case is broken so it won't stay together, but everything inside is in perfect condition. If it weren't for the case, I'd swear it was brand new. All of the games were $3 each, which is more than I wanted to pay, but game finds are so rare and I think this is the first time I've seen a Saturn game in person since 1996, so I went ahead and got them.

201307pickups.jpg

I was also happy to snag a bunch of glasses from various casinos and bars like Hard Rock, Fitzgerald's, Lady Luck, and a few others. Also got a couple of wine glasses from Solvang and some nice whiskey glasses, along with a couple of other pieces. When I was loading everything into my cart, I didn't even notice that they were on sale for 10 cents each! So I ended up paying $1.60 for all of these instead of $6.

201307pickups2.jpg

It's hard to tell, but there are 8 of those tall glasses in that picture. When everything is all put away and I can find my nice set of gold-rimmed crystal wine glasses, I'll take some good pictures of my bar. But for now, you can take a look at where all of my glasses will eventually be:
barprogress.jpg
barprogress2.jpg

A lot of glasses haven't been put in the cabinets yet and, as you can see, the ones that are there are a bit disorganized. I just moved in last week and I've just barely started working on putting the bar together and it's currently still a low priority. I need to finish putting away my library and toy collection so those boxes are finally out of the way.

If you look closely, you may be able to see some Garbage Pail Kids stickers on the minifridge (stocked full of booze and stuff for cocktails). There's also the reflection of a naked fat guy...I suggest not trying to focus on it too much.

And finally, I also grabbed these board games for a total of $4.50:

201307pickups3.jpg

They're in need of some cleaning, but I think I got a good price for them. All in all, I'm pretty happy with my finds. I even grabbed a couple of toys and a Winnie The Pooh mirror for my kid, as well as a cord that will fit my tape rewinder.

Haven't landed a decent thrift store haul in a bit, but I did find this while visiting relatives out of town: 

Box is in okay shape, and nothing was missing. Definitely a keeper for my collection. Four dollars well spent.

bread's done
Back