2013 Yard Sale Thread

It all depends on area. Technology has changed the game. 20 years ago, you could take your time, go with friends, drive around into the afternoon and still find cool stuff. Now, I am usually done for the day by 11 am.

I was hoping so, but it looks like it's going for $7-10 on eBay (the prices are kind of scattered). So it's not great, but I'll get a few bucks out of it.

Super jealous of some people's finds this week, especially that PS2 lot. For those of you who regularly bring in big hauls, is it always in the early morning or do you get them later on too? I can't figure out if the huge lots aren't in my area or if I'm just not getting out early enough to beat the competition :lol:
Here's what I usually do on a typical yard sale trip:

1) Contact the yard sales in advance to see if they have what I am looking for: Most people respond relatively quickly, and it saves me digging through items I have no interest in. It also gives me an opportunity to possibly pick up items in advance. I've gotten some good scores this way.

2) Target an area of interest: If people are advertising items I might be interested in, I hit those sale first. I then hit as many sales in that area as humanly possible before moving on to a different part of the city. You'd be surprised how many unadvertised sales will pop up around one well advertised sale.

3) Inquire about items I am interested in: I've had a lot of people assume that no one would be interested in games, so they don't put them out. I'd say 50% of my pickups are from people going into their house and bringing out boxes of games that they thought were worthless.

4) If all else fails, go off the beaten path: My city has a lot of rural areas surrounding it, so if the yard sales in town seem slow I will go for a Saturday morning drive in the country. The sales are fewer and further between, but there's a lot less competition. I've hit up rural sales late afternoon on a whim and walked away with some pretty choice items.

Hope this helps - good luck with the sailing!

Last edited by a moderator:
So, went out down my usual couple streets that always pay off, and what do you know. Struck gold again.

Ill put up pictures of my stuff, my brother already took his stuff home.

#1 First score, asked for old games and guy brought out a n64 with expansion pak, 2 off brand and 2 name brand controllers. One of the controllers is the limited edition glow in the dark controller. Only 6 games.. but all good titles. Donkey Kong 64, Yoshis story, oot, mario party 1, diddy kong racing and mario kart. Got all this for $10

#2 A little later we saw some signs, but went into the neighborhood and couldn't find the sale. On the way back to the street I spotted it, made it there and my brother instantly gravitated to the fishing gear. So, I dont know anything about the stuff but he found a shimano trinidad tn-30, which is a deep salt water reel used for big tunas, etc. This is a $400 reel the guy had out at a yard sale, my brother asked for the price and he said $10, he couldnt get his money out fast enough. T

The guy had no idea what he had, someone must of given it to him. He had it on backwards on a snapped pole. Guy was begging us to buy it when he saw us look at it, should easily flip that for $250+

#3 Later we stopped at a sale, I usually ask if they have games but didnt really feel like asking this time as the people there were pretty old, but it turns out they had a teenager who loved games, and was a big trekkie. First they tell us that they threw away boxes of gamecube games recently. Our hearts sank... I asked if the trash had been taken away yet, haha but yeah last monday they tossed it all. Took it to gamestop and they didnt want to buy it (obviously)

I spot some large plastic tubs filled with vhs, I could really use some storage for my games and wanted them. They said theyd do both large storage containers filled with VHS for $2, thought it was a deal and who knows whats mixed in with the VHS right? Well turns out there were some star trek and star wars PC games, I checked out some values of these at home.. its riciculous some are $20 $40 and $50 games. Had $150 worth of PC games I got for $2, which I didnt even know were there or had value lol.

e423.jpg

But after that they ask if we like newer games too, they brought out an xbox 360 cib with unused and sealed controller, ask the price... $10 Awesome! Then they say they have another electronics thing I may like.. bring out a roku player CIB, price? $5! Sold. Then they say the kid has more games inside and I could take a look, he let me buy AC 1 which Ive been looking for $5 for it, not a terrible price.

So we left there happy.. oh, and they tossed gameboy advance / games too ><

#4 Not much to tell, we keep going, find a sale with silent hill 3 for $2.

#5 Keep going and to the last sale of the day, we find a supposed flea market reseller getting out of the business. He has a table full of controllers. at least 9 xbox 360 controllers and a few wii. Ive actually been wanting a new controller, so this worked out. The controllers were said to be new but were opened.

fk6e.jpg

clkp.jpg

k0qu.jpg

Got all this for $41 The controllers as far as I can tell are new, both had packaging, batteries, halo reach download card, little paper in battery pack etc.

Going to keep the wii controller pro and sell my classic controller, sell the new classic controller and keep both reach controllers. Where else am I going to get a new controller for so cheap? Ill keep as a backup if I need another new one in 3 years.

Update for the last two weeks.

Last week:

$15

New Darth Vader Lego clock

About 10 DVDS - Snow White, sealed Yoga ones, Wizard of Oz, and some other sealed kids ones

Star Wars Pop Up book

Another book calledl like Monsters Under the Bed or something - I picked it up because it reminded me of Vasquez's work from JtHM, Squee and Invader Zim (not by Vasquez - just looked cool)

A hotwheels-esque racking track toy - new in the box

TMNT turtles Lego Set - it is somesort of Krang location

The DVDs will easily pay for keeping the TMNT legos, Star Wars Pop Up Book, Vader Clock and other book. I was going to sell the Vader clock and Star Wars Pop Up book but the GF wants to keep them.

$10

Few DVDs - Coraline, Princess Bride, etc.

Polar Watch/Heart Rate Monitor

Got the Polar Watch to resell - looking online should get like 35 - 40 for it. Will probably sell the other DVDs and keep Princess Bride.

Girl running it supposedly had lots of Star Wars memorabilia she sold off earlier - like light sabers and other things.

$10

Older version of Turtle Beach headset

Black Ops for 360

Kid wanted more for Blops but it is pretty scratched up. I've played the game quite a bit so far (mostly multiplayer) and haven't had any problems but I am unable to install the DVD to my Xbox. I will probably trade it off to GS after a few weeks and they can resurface it.

$5

Sealed Starry Night Puzzle

Sealed Jigsaw Globe Puzzle

Still sealed collection of Jetsons pins from the movie

I got the pins just for the heck of it but I haven't been able to find anything out online about them.

This week:

$16

10 still sealed CDs - mostly some collection of 80's rock music, a yoga CD, and something else or two

Sealed Origami kit

Sealed Toy Story 3 Operation

GTA 4 for 360

Sealed Daxter for PSP

Halo 2 Limited Edition

Dawson's Creek Season 1

Pretty much the only think keeping out of everything is the Sealed Origami kit for the gf

$2

Mega Man Starforce Leo for DS

Lady running the sale said her son is selling his games and pokemon cards to pay for some piercings. Oh boy.

$20

Ti-83 Plus

New Master Grade Gundam Model

Ti-83 is for resale and the Gundam is for the GF. She has built 2 so far the last month and she wanted a new one. Its like 30 - 40 cheaper than online so it was all good to me.

This was at a Chinese Christian Church and after I bought the calculator one of the guys running it started complaining that the calculator should've been on the 15 or 20 dollar table. I thought it was funny they were doing it right in front of me. I guess they assumed my gf couldn't speak Chinese or just didn't care if she heard them.

$23

Sealed DDR for PS2, another DDR for PS2 and Just Dance for Wii

Myst the Collection for PC - UK Ultimate Compilation (just checked on ebay and seems to be selling for in the 20's to 40's)

4 complete lectures/recruitment kits for Scientology

The Scientology thing is very very strange. They are these big binders and cases with CDs, lectures, notepads, and other stuff. There are 4 different ones and 1 is still sealed. I did enjoy reading the notes taken down in one of them about Thetans.

I think I'm going to read them a little bit first and then sell them. Looking online I think I should getl ike 100 - 120 for them if not more since one is still sealed and I got the original shipping box that was used to send it out from the Dianetics center out in CA to the Church by me.

$22

2 gamecube controllers

bunch of games including Jedi Knight 2 Sith Edition (PC), sealed Black & White expansion, Civ 4, DMC (ps2), Twisted Metal (ps2), a few more

Xbox component cable

Nintendo composite cable

old style switch box for composite cables

Nintendo mints

a large Cheat plush from Homestar Runner

Good amount of stuff from this sale to sort though and probably resell quite a bit. This sale was the only thing I got anything from today. I didn't plan on going out but I woke up early at 9 and thought what the hell and went to like 5 sales and got this at the first one.

research the scientology stuff more...could be a potential gold mine. Maybe you could sell it to a newspaper or something. (assuming that is legal) ;)

Got one of my favorite finds at a yard sale yesterday.

I actually went to the sale on Thursday and picked up 2 NES systems with all the cables, 4 controllers, a handful of gameboy games as well as KOTOR and Star Wars Battlefront II (Xbox) for $30. (Battlefront II is supposed to be harder to find on the Xbox, but I swear I've found and sold 5 copies already). A great haul in itself, I casually asked the guy if he had any other Nintendo or video games for sale. He called his uncle and he said to come back on Saturday for some Gameboy stuff.

I got there after work (he held them for me) and this is what he pulled out:

VqGHSSw.jpg

I paid $70 for all of it (about .50 a game and $10 for each gameboy). Trap Gunner and the two DS Lite cables came from Goodwill for $3 total.

There were some really nice games too. 4 Pokemon titles (including Red which I've been searching for since I started collecting games), Snow Brothers, Shaq Fu, Zelda. I didn't have much of a gameboy collection so I needed almost every one. I'll sell the 3 Pokemon doubles and make most of my money back too. The labels on the games are mint.

Link  to more images of the games. I posted this to Reddit /gamecollecting because it was my first find in a years worth of collecting to really show off. Haha.

Got one of my favorite finds at a yard sale yesterday.

I actually went to the sale on Thursday and picked up 2 NES systems with all the cables, 4 controllers, a handful of gameboy games as well as KOTOR and Star Wars Battlefront II (Xbox) for $30. (Battlefront II is supposed to be harder to find on the Xbox, but I swear I've found and sold 5 copies already). A great haul in itself, I casually asked the guy if he had any other Nintendo or video games for sale. He called his uncle and he said to come back on Saturday for some Gameboy stuff.

I got there after work (he held them for me) and this is what he pulled out:

VqGHSSw.jpg

I paid $70 for all of it (about .50 a game and $10 for each gameboy). Trap Gunner and the two DS Lite cables came from Goodwill for $3 total.

There were some really nice games too. 4 Pokemon titles (including Red which I've been searching for since I started collecting games), Snow Brothers, Shaq Fu, Zelda. I didn't have much of a gameboy collection so I needed almost every one. I'll sell the 3 Pokemon doubles and make most of my money back too. The labels on the games are mint.

Link to more images of the games. I posted this to Reddit /gamecollecting because it was my first find in a years worth of collecting to really show off. Haha.
Well there goes me feeling good about my Game Boy lot this weekend.... jealous.

I'd love to find a Game Boy lot like that, even though I'd probably never play them. A lot of them really haven't aged well.

9541223983_0d2a91a8aa_z.jpg

I got two GameCube WaveBird controls for $10 and the PS3 Sixaxis control for $1.50.

Can the writing on the control come off with anything?

9541223983_0d2a91a8aa_z.jpg

I got two GameCube WaveBird controls for $10 and the PS3 Sixaxis control for $1.50.

Can the writing on the control come off with anything?
Yes rubbing alcohol. Also nice deal on the controllers.. you beat me on a cheap ps3 controller, best Ive found was 2 for $8 a year ago. Keeping the wavebirds? Those are really great, I love mine. I havent come across too many either.

And.. while were talking about controllers. Ive got to say its great to have a new 360 controller again, feels great.

Yes rubbing alcohol. Also nice deal on the controllers.. you beat me on a cheap ps3 controller, best Ive found was 2 for $8 a year ago. Keeping the wavebirds? Those are really great, I love mine. I havent come across too many either.

And.. while were talking about controllers. Ive got to say its great to have a new 360 controller again, feels great.
Yup I'm keeping them both. I've been looking for some wavebirds for a long time. Since the one I used to have got stolen from my house along with a lot of my gamecube stuff a few years ago. Thanks I'll try the rubbing alcohol.

I'd love to find a Game Boy lot like that, even though I'd probably never play them. A lot of them really haven't aged well.
Yeah...playing a few of them now...and it's difficult.

I love finding Game boy games though, just something about them. It will take a while but I'll probably trade/sell some of these to put towards more N64 stuff since that is what I primarily collect.

Question about Sunday sales.

Do you guys usually follow signs on Sundays too or just go to ones you got off craigslist or the paper? I went out this Sunday just for fun because I woke up early and only hit like 5 sales from craigslist. The few times I went out on Sunday last year I would get angry chasing ghosts when I tried to follow the posters on poles.

Also - on a side note. I decided to just look up that Cheat plush on ebay. Last one sold for 66 + shipping in auction format. That is pretty crazy - especially for a used plush. I was kind of wondering if it was worth doing the 50 cents for it before but the gf wanted it. Maybe I should see if she will let me sell it and I will pick her up a cheap Adventure Time plush instead.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kick-the-Cheat-talking-yellow-plush-Homestar-Runner-Cheap-as-Free-Harmless-Junk-/251296396329?pt=Stuffed_Animals_US&hash=item3a826eb429

Heh, I was a big Homestar fan back in the day and I actually still have that plush. I remember they sold out of them many years ago (back when the site was actually still updated) so I'm not surprised it gets a premium price.

2ex1zkh.jpg

Donkey Kong & Mario Kart Super Circuit - 4
Ultimate Alliance 2 (PS2, Complete), Mario & Sonic Winter Olympics (Wii, No Manual) & Mario Galaxy (Disk Only) - 6
Crash Bandicoot & Crash Bash - 2
3 2600 Games - 3
All NES, SNES & DS Stuff (DS & Boxed NES Games All Complete Including The Map For Zelda) - 22

The Game Boy games were at a sale that advertised games for said systems and were 2 each. At another sale I asked about games and the lady brought out what was mostly PS2 with a few Wii games in the mix out that she forgot to bring out, sounded like jr was to sort them out for the yard sale and never did, 2 dollars each again. The Crash games were asking a buck each at a sale that advertised video games. Asked about games and some Atari stuff was brought out to which I offered a buck each for the 3 I got. DS games were out and a buck each, when I asked about games the lady mentioned some Nintendo stuff she had at home, I ended up going back and she was asking $5 for the system and a buck a game which I was happy with since she was nice enought to follow up on bringing and selling. The NES also came with 2 controllers and hookups which I didn't bother to put in the picture but I did want to include the NES in the picture since it's on crack.

Non Find BS
Was out about 3 hours or so on Friday and got to 19 sales. Tripped over a sale and when I asked about games a younger kid mentioned some 5200 games and brought about 10 out along with 2 Jaguar games & an Atari 2600 Jr with about 30 games. He has a copy of Rubik's Cube but makes it clear that he knows it's worth more so I don't even bother trying to get it since I didn't really want it that bad. This kid recognized me as I actually bought some Atari stuff from him via CL last November. He mentions that he sells on eBay so I figure anything better then a decent deal is out of the question and the system and games have a ton of dust on them even for Atari stuff that has been sitting around for 2 decades. Just to feel him out I made a half hearted offer of 10 for the system and he wasn't willing to do that or even bother to counter offer. I found a completed listing for the Atari stuff that was ended early with no bids. Started out at $25 and it looked like it was ended for fear of ending at the starting bid or close to. Sounded like this kid was over his head with this stuff. Sounded like the only testing he did was turning the system on without being connected to the TV to see if the system was getting power and asked me now afterwards when I tripped over his sale if that is good enough testing to verify that the stuff works.

5khm6u.jpg
sl7mec.jpg

2 Complete Xbox Games - 2
Xbox With Hookups, 1 Duke & 1 Regular Controller - 3
Marvel Ultimate Alliance (PS2, Complete) & Resident Evil 4 With 2 Playstation systems - 15
Everything Else Pictured And All of The Generic Stuff I Didn't Bother To Include In The Picture (Also Genesis Model 1 x2 & Model 2 x1 With Misc Controllers & Hookups) - 25

Xbox games were a buck each. Xbox system was 10 but offered to do 5 and took 3. IIRC the PS2 slim I got had hookups and a controller and was 10, the fat system I got was marked 3 and IIRC had a controller and A/V cords. The games were 2 each and took 15 for what I got. The last sale had a bunch of random stuff most in the .25 to 1 range. I left a bunch of boring stuff out of the picture for the sake of trying to keep it to one picture. Some stuff was a 2600 AC Adapter - 1, 3 NES hard cases for games for .10 each, x2 Atari Joysticks so many general stuff that I've had in pictures before. I at least wanted to have the games, systems and unique or something I've never ran into and got in the wild in the picture. Came up to 25.90 and we ended up just making it an even 25.

Non Find BS
Was out for about 2 and a half hours and got to 15 sales. At the sale I got a bunch of stuff at for 25...it was a sale I was at on 5-21-11 and only bothered going back to as I had a note that mentioned "Some Misc Retro Stuff Marked .25 To .50 Each" for this address but couldn't remember exactly what I got at said sale. As I got to the house I remembered it and also completely forgot that the 2 ladies running the sale I see around at yard sales who I know pick up old games which I'd best guess just resell the stuff although the one lady has mentioned to me before that she picks up this stuff for "the grand kids" which seems like a cover up since she probably feels awkward about what others think of her buying this stuff. I even have a pretty good guess at what her eBay name is has I've seen stuff I passed on being sold under this name. This stuff really did feel like the left overs and stuff they couldn't get to work but they did seem to at least price it at prices for a yard sale like a buck or less instead of trying to get something like 5 for a NES Game Genie if they could make a few bucks more possibly selling it online. I don't run into too many of these in my area but I did run into a sale that had a print up from somewhere showing how much some of their stuff is priced at for example one thing was 10 so they had it for 7.50 to show you the insane savings you would be getting. One house when I asked about video games the lady remembered me from a different sale elsewhere at a family member's house and took my number, she also took my number at the last sale and this is the 3rd time I've given my number out to somebody for a 2nd time.

25s9b4k.jpg
2w5unwo.jpg

NES systems x2 With 4x 1st Party Controllers, x2 Zappers & Hookups x2 & 28 Games With Some Misc Instructions - 100

This was actually from another buyer I ran into at a yard sale back on 5-4-13 at a big community sale that over heard me asking about games and offered to take my number. They wanted 125 and I offered 100 which they took. Gold game is Quattro Adventure, manuals included for NES system, Zapper, Final Fantasy, Spot: The Video Game, SMB/DH, SMB/DH/WCTM & Super Mario Bros 2.

I don't run into too many of these in my area but I did run into a sale that had a print up from somewhere showing how much some of their stuff is priced at for example one thing was 10 so they had it for 7.50 to show you the insane savings you would be getting.

I've seen this a couple times and it is such a turn off. But I'll be damned, while reading the paper, a "thrifty" columnist was giving garage sale pointers and stated this tactic .... unfortunately this was in a Metropolitan big paper with six figure readership... hopefully the article does not get reprinted...lol

Stopped at a couple garage sales and bought:

PS2 with 3 controllers, memory card, cords -$20

Sega Game Gear with the screen magnifier, 8 game gear games, 2 wired original xbox controllers, a wireless original xbox controller(with receiver), Wii Sports(disc only), the power cord and av cable for the xbox -$5 for all of it(I was surprised there was no xbox console)

I got my find of the season today. I know I will not top it. I asked about games and it paid off (I'm about 7/100 on average for asking about games and having success). :whee:

I went to a garage sale that advertised xbox games, and I got there 3 min after the sale started, only to find out that a woman had just bought 6-12 of the xbox games. There was still Manhunt(CIB) for the xbox for only a $1, so I still got that.

I had a pretty meh day but I did find some stuff.

I found a Xenosaga art boof for  fifty cents

Richard Pryor Anthology set for $1

007 Tomorrow never dies ps1 disc that was inside a Grand Tour racing "98 case for $1.

is there anyway to safely clean covers of books?

I hardly ever find anything anymore. Well at least I found digimon 4 for gamecube last week for $1.

Way too much competition here.

Story on the digimon . I saw the sale on craigslist, mentioned a vollyball team was having a sale. I'd figure these chicks would have a bunch of games. I pull up, I was the only person there buying. Like 15-20 highschool chicks just stop talking and look at me while I browse for a couple mintues. Seriously awkward as fuck.

FINALLY GOT SOMETHING AT A YARD SALE! Marked $35, offered $20, came back with $25 which was fine with me since it was the first thing Ive seen this summer.

SNES, controller, power cable, rf adapter, a pair of composite cables Ill use for one of my NESs, an HDMI cable, a composite cable with like a headphone plug on the other end (whats that for?), Killer Instinct, Batman Forever, Super Mario Kart (label is kinda faded on the bottom), Super Mario Allstars/Super Mario World!, Ms PacMan, Judge Dredd, Kirbys Dream Course, Frogger, Street Fighter Alpha2, Operation Thunderbolt, Bram Stokers Dracula (thought it was Castlevania IV!), Space Invaders, and Madden 95

b7xpop.jpg

Crash Bandicoot (Complete) & Kirby's Return to Dream Land (Sealed) - 8
DS Lite With Bad Top Screen & 3 Dreck Games - 2
Last 4 Games (Forgot To Picture The 4th One In Duke Nukem: Zero Hour For The 64) - 1.25

The first two games were at a sale that advertised "video games" with your typical $5 price. Crash was the only PS1 game and I asked if even that was 5 to which the lady offered to do 3 on it. DS Lite was asking price and the last 4 games were at a sale with 2 GameCube sports games out, when I asked about games the kid brought out a few more GC games and the lone N64 game. When I asked how much he offered to do .50 per a GC and a quarter for the N64 game to which I offered a buck then when I decided to grab Star Wars also he said .25 more would work. Worms Blast was the only complete game out of the 3 GC games.

Friday Non Find BS
Got out at 7:40 and was home by 9:30 and went to 10 sales. One sale mentioned selling what sounded like an NES that went fast that I was at around 8:30.

2 Complete PS2 Games - 2
3 PS1 Games - 3
Atari & C64 Plug & Plays - 1.50

The PS2 games were asking a buck each. The PS1 games the guy said he wanted 2 or 3 each. I offered 3 for the two I got and got the FFVII demo added in for free. The Plug & Plays were asking price at .50 for the Atari one and 1 for the C64 one.

Saturday Non Find BS
Got out just after 7:45 and was out til 10:30, got to 19 sales. One sale advertised DS & games with mention of no early birds in caps, I meant to get to said sale say 5 or maybe 10 minutes early but instead got to the sale a couple of minutes after 8. The DS stuff was gone already and I didn't happen to notice it just walking off, I have a feeling if I did get a look at how much and what it was that I wouldn't have been that jealous anyways. One sale a guy sounded like he found his NES when getting ready for the sale but with the though of getting rid of it he couldn't do so and he mentioned some memories of Contra in particular. Some more expensive stuff I saw today, PS2 sale had a fat PS2 for $40 and the sale I got the PS1 games at had a green (Metal Gear) PSP with about 10 UMD only games for 80. The last sale of the day mentioned selling some Game Gear stuff "yesterday" this was a sale that advertised Saturday only so I'm guessing they started setting up Friday and had some passerby(s) stopping by early.

Went to two sales on my way grocery shopping. Found something, though it isn't much. Just an official Yellow N64 controller, after a little cleaning is in great condition, and a Lord of the Rings Lego Set, Shelob Attacks. The box was open, but the bags weren't.   Total $7

Havent posted since my vintage star wars haul last year, but I always enjoy following this thread and I picked up a huge lot today of Gameboy , N64, 32x, and Genesis games. N64 with expansion, 4 controllers(one jungle green), Sega Genesis with 32x and connections including the expansion module which I haven't even seen before, Paid a bit more then I usually do but i couldn't pass it up.

total for the lot was $160, Originally it was $150 for everything except the Gameboy games which i didn't even see at first, and when i noticed them he said only $10 since the system wasn't there, I think i may make close or possibly more then what i paid just from the Gameboy games.

What do you guys think?

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:23027]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:23026]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:23025]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:23024]

Wow at all those decent condition boxed N64, 32x, and cardboard Genesis titles.

And awesome Great Empires find as well.  I loved Pharaoh when I was younger.

Nice score Jedi. A find with that many boxed games in one place would be worth it to me.   The Genesis/32x "bundle" would be nice as well.  Not a lot of Sega love in my area.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hit a neighborhood sale today and found a few things.

1st lot for $5:

Gameboy Color Atomic Purple +4 games

-The Rugrats Movie, Malibu Beach Volleyball, 102 Dalamations: Puppies to the Rescue, Game Watch Gallery 2

Quantum Leap iQuest + 5 carts

2nd lot for $5:

6 PS2 games all with manuals

-Gitaroo Man, Bombastic, We Love Katamari, SSX Tricky, SSX on Tour, SSX3

3rd lot for $25:

Wii with all the cables, 2 remotes and 2 nunchuks, memory card

-Rock Band Track Pack Vol. 1, microphone, guitar

Only video game stuff I saw this morning was some PS2 shovelware. Still had a good find today though.

At my second stop of the day I asked if they had games or DVDs, she went into the house and got a box packed with movies and told me I could have the whole box for $5. I saw the first six seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and that alone would make it worth it for me so I agreed...as I was going to pay she told me to hold on while she went back inside and got one of those huge cases that holds about 40 disks, and that was almost full too. So I got everything for $5, that was my big find of the day.

It ended up being mostly horror, so I'll be selling a good portion of it. Keeping some of the other titles though:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer seasons 1-6

Friday the 13th

Darkness

Jackass

Jackass Number Two

Land of the Dead

Blood in Blood Out: Bound by Honor

The Exorcist

Mirrors

Airheads (sealed)

Crash

Billy Madison

I Know What You Did Last Summer & I Still Know What You Did Last Summer two-disk set (sealed)

The Break-Up

Basic

21 (sealed)

Eagle Eye

Family Guy Presents: Blue Harvest

Dirty Love

Dumb and Dumber

Domino

My Five Wives

My Super Ex-Girlfriend

Bruno

The Island

Little Nicky

Airplane!

4-Film Horror Collector's Set

The Hills Have Eyes

24 season seven

Crank High Voltage

Family Guy volume 1 (one of the disks is missing)

The disk-only movies in the other case:

License to Wed

The Drew Carey Show

Zoolander

Winter Wonderland

Essential Music Videos: Pop Metal

Airheads

Motley Crew: Greatest Video Hits

School of Rock

Family Guy volume 4 disk 1

Love in the Afternoon

Poison: Greatest Video Hits

Tenacious: The Complete Master Works

Friends: The Series Finale

Friends Collection: The One with All the Weddings

about 20 disks that were copies of other disks - nothing noteworthy

At another sale I got Sideways, The Prestige, and Matrix Reloaded for $1. They originally said a dollar each, and when I told them I didn't have three singles they said go ahead, take them all for a dollar.  :D

My only other finds for the day were some CDs (Disney Mania 1, 3, and 4 to flip, plus two others to keep) for $4, and a boxed set of four original Winnie the Pooh books for fifty cents. I'll probably keep that for nostalgia's sake.

Well, I'm back!

After going out to a yard sale yesterday and having some other lunatic run out of his car to grab a box out of my hands, yelling about how he had been sitting there for hour waiting for the sale to start, and proceed to offer double every price the sale runners quoted to me when I asked about things, I made it a point to get an early start today, especially since there were a bunch of local sales offering games.

I was up at 6:30 and out the door by 7:30.  Nothing like competition for a little incentive.

The first sale I stopped at was nearby.  I saw a PS2 and a stack of games in a box.  The guy says $20 for the PS2 and $1 each for the games, I offered $20 for the unit and 4 games which he gladly accepted.

Yard Sale Finds 8/24/2013 by geekquisitions, on Flickr
I asked if he had any other games, older stuff, and he pulls a garbage bag out of his garage.  $10 for the lot, $30 in total at this sale.  And Lost Vikings 2!  That's one I don't have.   The SNES and controllers are a little rough, but for that price along with Starcraft and Ocarina of Time, I'm good.

Off to the next sale -- way out west, advertised a GameCube.  I arrive as they are starting, timing it perfectly to not be an early bird as they had said none.  Apparently, someone had e-mailed them with a $20 offer on their controller-less GameCube with Smash Bros (MINT!) and one other game (nothing noteworthy).  I offered $25, but they didn't want to break their promise.  They never changed their ad after promising it to the emailer (there's a lot of this going around, apparently)...however, the sale wasn't a waste of time for several reasons.

Firstly, there were a bunch of other sales in the area.  Most unadvertised, signs only.  I played a game of follow the arrows, and had more hits than duds!

I ask about games at another sale, and someone goes into the garage and comes out with a Sega Game Gear case!  There aren't many games and Sega stuff is secondary.  He offers it for $15, I offer $5, we meet halfway at $7.

So far, I've spent $37, and I make my way to another sale, when someone stops me and asks if I was the one asking about a GameCube at the earlier sale.  Apparently, they had overheard me, and had just seen someone with a GameCube and a ton of games at another yard sale!  They give me the address and I'm off like a shot.

They did have a NGC with a bunch of games in very nice shape, as well as a PSX and a stack of games (but nothing too noteworthy).  They're asking $125 for the lot.  I ask how much it would be without the PlayStation stuff, and they tell me $75.  I lobbed out a lower offer, and again we meet at $60.  I had seen a copy of Smash Bros. and Mario Kart at the top of the stack, and was pleasantly surprised when I realized that out of the 19 games, those weren't the only gems.  Also, hey, Wavebird!  And that carrying case is pretty sweet!

Total spent $97.  At this point, I'm glad I stopped at the ATM and took out $200 last night.

While heading to the first sale that mentioned Playstation and Nintendo games for 9:00, I kept passing other sales.  I passed on a giant bin of (mostly worthless despite being a really nice selection) PS2 games for $1 apiece -- Normally I go for anything I don't have, but I really need to pare down my collection a bit.  I pull over to a tent sale, and ask the little old lady if she happens to have any video games.  She moves a few things and reveals a big basket of Sega Master System, Genesis, and Saturn games!  She tells me it's $50 for it along with the two systems she has inside.  However, she can only find one system, and takes $20 off.  Skylanders was in the bag with the Saturn and accessories, so, bonus.

I've never seen third party Saturn controllers before, nor controller extension cables.

HELL YEAH COOL SPOT!  Barring any decent offers, I'm fairly certain that and Indy are going into my collection.  And I don't believe I own a copy of Battle Monsters, either.

Again, a lot of these are ones I haven't seen before.  Despite primarily wanting to resell, due to financial and space constraints, I just might end up saving a bunch of these.

Master System games!  At $127 now.

Passed by another sale and found this little doll.  This is a fun little display piece for a buck.

$128 in the hole.

Turns out the sale that advertised PSX and Nintendo games just...wasn't there.  I knocked on the door, and the guy tells me that the games are his son's and he was called into work.  I mention I drove a bit to get there just for them and leave my number, asking that he give me a buzz and I'll come by later or tomorrow to see what he has if he's interested in selling them.

I then drive like mad for 40 minutes to get to the other sale that advertised a massive collection for sale.  And my God, what a collection.

True to form, someone had e-mailed the guy in advance and arranged to come early for all of the high-end stuff.  However, there were still milk crates, totes, and boxes all FULL of games for every system.  I kept myself in check, and picked up a few interesting looking things and NES games I wanted to add to my collection, plus a bunch of spare cables, cases, manuals, and an interesting little Nintendo 64 Camera.

$10 for the lot, his wife seemed to really want him to get rid of everything.  At $138 now.

I have a bunch of sales left on my list, but I keep seeing signs for sales that I didn't see advertised online.  Having had great luck with them before, I continue to follow them, and it pays off.  I see a Star Fox 64 box -- it's empty.  But there is some other gaming stuff in the cardboard box next to it, and a few more empty N64 boxes nearby.  Its clearly been picked over.

I ask how much and she leaves no room to haggle.  My wallet a scant $6 lighter, I'm heading back to my car.

Two systems!  Again, nothing for the SNES and it looks a little rough, but hey, they were less than $3 each, and came with...

Complete Genny games!  Nothing to write home about...

A couple spare Sega manuals...this is a very Game Gear day.

Some N64 manuals and inserts!  Not bad...

If only I had been there when they had these SNES games...

But an Adventure Island 2 and SMB/DH manual, among the others?  That's nice.

And I can probably box that copy of Ocarina I found earlier!

Having spent $144 and it getting late, I hit a multi-family sale that turns out to be half a dozen houses along a stretch of road.  Miss, miss, I park between two and head up one driveway to see just Skylanders everywhere.  They want $60, I really didn't want to spend more than $40 on them since all I know about them is that their prices fluctuate quite a bit.  They're insisting they are valuable, and tell me that I can have them for $50.  I tell them I'll think about it and check their claims on my phone while I meander to the other sale.
I arrive just as someone is paying for a GameCube and a huge stack of games.  There are still a couple left, nothing noteworthy though.  The sale runner asks if there's anything special I want and I tell him I'm looking mainly for Nintendo games, any systems.  He tells me he'll check, and I go back across the street.

Some negotiating later that involved a bit of backpedaling and reluctance to sel at all, I spend $55 on the Skylanders lot.

I don't know the names of any of these except for Ghost Roaster and I think I managed to segregate the pirate ship and skeleton castle correctly -- any help on these would be appreciated.  I think on is a Dark Spyro?
While I'm sure I got a good deal, I'm up to $199 spent for the day and my wad feels pretty light.

I go back to the other house where the seller has found me a Double Dash, Smash Bros Melee, and Link's Awakening, offering them to me for $5.   I pick up Sonic Unleashed and Star Wars Lightsaber Battles (that other guy had grabbed the copy of The Force Unleashed I had been eyeing before he split, apparently) and the total damage is $7.

I spent $206 and it's about noon, noonthirty.  I try a couple more sales, no luck, pass on some PS2 games and a $50 boxed Magnavox Odyssey 2, and head home.

This is my first post here guys, although I used to be a regular in the yard sale thread on CAG (so I hope I don't get blowback for haggling with people -- I've seen a few threads on here where people offered others more than they were asking, which is really cool, but part of the fun for me, and a time-honored tradition there, is sharpening my negotiation skills and finding awesome things as cheaply as possible).  I hope you enjoyed it, and if you're interested in anything I picked up, please don't be shy.  While some of it may be going into my collection, I'm going to get murdered if too much of it stays in the house for too long.  Thanks for reading!

You just completely overshadowed my only major find of this week...

1241db102a9f57f1687bded5f777f54b.jpg

The figures in my lot are: Spyro, Bash, Eruptor, Terrafin, Sonic Boom, and Prism Break; the two "level" figures are Darklight Crypt and Pirate Seas; and the two items are Healing Elixir and Time Twist Hourglass. There's also the Portal, USB dongle, PS3 game, and that big display case thingie.

I picked these up for...*gulp* $20. I think it's a good deal but I'm not sure and I too was going to ask what my fellow CAGs thought of it. I've done a little research and it seems Darklight Crypt and the two items originally came with Ghost Roaster (mentioned by the above poster, a figure worth about $50...) which makes me a little sad. Also, the pirate ship & Terrafin came in a set with two items which are also missing. Anyway, I think I'll have some fun with these before I sell 'em, but I was just wondering if I did good on these.

The sellers (a kid and his mom, of course) also had a bunch of Nerf stuff out, I got them to throw in one of these Nerf drum magazines to sweeten the deal...I know those are worth a lil' bit on ebay and they are fun as hell to use too. 

I usually don't have any luck at all with Yard Sales, but yesterday I scored this for $5. The case isn't lenticular but that's ok.
XQptyt1.jpg

After going out to a yard sale yesterday and having some other lunatic run out of his car to grab a box out of my hands, yelling about how he had been sitting there for hour waiting for the sale to start, and proceed to offer double every price the sale runners quoted to me when I asked about things, I made it a point to get an early start today, especially since there were a bunch of local sales offering games.
WTF?! So what happened with this? You just let the guy take the box from you!? Did the people running the sale tell him to F-off or did he actually pay double for everything or what? This is ridiculous! You can't just rip something out of someone else's hands at a yard sale!

WTF?! So what happened with this? You just let the guy take the box from you!? Did the people running the sale tell him to F-off or did he actually pay double for everything or what? This is ridiculous! You can't just rip something out of someone else's hands at a yard sale!
It's happened to me 2 times. My nemesis is my nemesis because he did it to me took a xbox out of my hands. Another duo did it to me too with a box of comics. Since both incidents I've figured out they all know each other.

I guess my question is why would you let someone do that....and I would think in most cases the person running the sale would refuse to sell to some a-hole that did that anyway. If you were holding a yard sale and someone ripped something out of someones hands and came up to you to pay would you really be okay with that?! I would tell the guy to get the hell out!

I doubt they just let it happen. For the most part, people don't typically expect things to get ripped out of their hands while shopping. They were surely caught by surprise and didn't have an iron grip on the items because...well, there is usually no reason to.

In this situation (and assuming they witnessed this taking place), I think most sellers would probably refuse to sell to the jerk. But if offered more money, I imagine there are plenty who would give in.

He was offering more.  Like, eBay prices.  $10 for cart-only Legend of Zelda for GBA.  If he was a reseller, his profits would have been razor-thin.  Triple digits for the lot.  Plus, the woman running the sale had mentioned her daughters had been having success selling on Amazon for bank.  I had $80 on me.  It wasn't worth it.  I went to a nearby unlisted sale and paid $5 for a Pokemon GBC, first party SP case, and Pokemon Blue.  The best revenge is living well.

I played it cool and made him look like a frothing psychopath.  I simply pointed out how aggressive he was being and how he needed to chill out, and he got very defensive.  It was fun.  The lady gave me a big smile and wink.  Not looking like a douche was worth not escalating it.

Frankly, though, it's almost not worth it to go to sales advertising video games anymore.  Its always insane and people are playing dirty (e-mailing and asking for things to be held for them, making fake listings, showing up hours early, etc).  Almost all of my finds on Saturday were at sales that didn't advertise games (to my knowledge) or even on Craigslist and I found via signs.

Frankly, though, it's almost not worth it to go to sales advertising video games anymore. Its always insane and people are playing dirty (e-mailing and asking for things to be held for them, making fake listings, showing up hours early, etc). Almost all of my finds on Saturday were at sales that didn't advertise games (to my knowledge) or even on Craigslist and I found via signs.
This is exactley what I've been saying for the past 2 years now too. People that advertise games usually want ebay prices anyway. However theres always exceptions. I beat a reseller who waited TWO HOURS outside a house this past weekend by about 5 seconds, it was awesome.

So I see an ad posted for a SNES with "tons of nes and snes games" on a Sunday at 12pm. I figure I'd check it out since there's nothing else going on anyway. The ad didn't list a house number, just a street, I decided I'll drive by the house at 10am just to scope it out and maybe they would be out early (people that start sales THAT late usually end up starting them way earlier than advertised). Now I've told a story before about this reseller who waited on the porch of a house a 6AM for a sale that started at 8AM just to get 3 NES sports games....well guess who is slowly driving up and down the street at 10am? You guessed it! So I said to myself, screw this, I'll just drive around and look for some other sales and come back around 11:45 and maybe I'll get lucky. So about 11;40 I come back, he is sitting in his car at one end of the street....I'm sitting at the other end. Suddenly a woman comes out and puts a sign in the yard (the house is like right in the middle of our two cars) ....I thought now "oh fuck it, this a-hole is going to get it again anyway, its not worth the hassle" thenI suddenly had a change of heart and thought "no! screw this guy, I am getting these damn games!" so I jump out of my car and ran as fast as I could to the yard. Lucky for me the reseller is in his 50s at least and looks like he weighs in at about 350lbs so he wasn't really going to beat me. Then he starts yelling at her from across the street "hey! hey! do you have any..." and before he can get a sentence out, I am already in the yard and I said "hey I'm buying all the video games you have!"

The lady says to me "oh yeah you are the guy that emailed me right?" So apparently some other reseller already emailed her the day before and told her some story about how his 5 year old "collects old nintendo games" .....uhhh sure she does. She even said "yeah I kinda laughed at your email, I'm surprised someone so young would be interested in old games " So basically she thinks I am the one who emailed her and I end up buying the most mint SNES system I've ever seen and a bag of about 20 N64 games for $30. The best part, the reseller finally waddled his way up the drive way and watched me buy all the stuff that he waited 2 HOURS for right from under him. He just pretended to look around the sale and then walked off like nothing happened. I was glad to finally stick it to the guy who is responsible for all the "oh yeah we just sold our games to some guy as soon as we started the sale" that I have to hear every weekend

Finally had a chance to hit some sales this weekend, even if it was only three. First, I hit up a semi-annual community flea market down the street from me and scored a fat PS2 with extra cords and Rock Band mic for $10 and a Gamecube with two OEM controllers and Sonic Heroes for $10. Not the best deals, but they're cheap enough that I can fit them into the MAGFest Game Room budget. No pics, unfortunately, as I've already dropped them off at our warehouse.

Next stop was a sale that advertised NES and Sega games that I figured would already be picked over, but I must have been the first gamer there. The guy had an NES, 2 Genesis' and a few boxes full of games that we wanted $200. He said he'd be willing to go down to $125, but I didn't have that much on me nor did I really want to spend that much on what amounted to mostly sports games. I cherry picked a few, though, and managed to get SMB3 CiB, TMNT Tournament Fighters CiB, Cutthroat Island CiB, and a NES Game Genie with manual for $11.

The last sale I stopped at I wish I had gotten to earlier, as I think it was a little picked over. I still managed to get Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor, Trauma Team, Castlevania:  Lords of Shadow, Mario Strikers Charged!, and Advance Wars: Days of Ruin for $20, which was pretty great.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:23036]

Goddammit, Slowdive, I need to know!
OK, I'll make a special post, even-though I am about a year behind on my finds posts. ;)

So I was at a sale and I picked up this stuff:

I asked if they (family of 4) have any video games for sale and I got the usual "No, but we have a lot of them." I stayed and talked for a while and they told me about how they've owned 'every system' and I told them I am into any games even older systems and I gave her my name and number in case they decide to sell some of them. We talked a little longer and they mentioned that they had a SEGA Saturn, but it was missing the power cord and that they had thought about selling it on ebay. I told them I would be interested in it anyway and after a few seconds of talking to each other they decided to dig it out for me to let me take a look. I smiled when they brought out the boxes, but I managed to hold back my excitement. I calmly looked through the games, even-though I knew I was going to buy the lot if the price was right. I asked "How much do you want for all of it?" The Dad said "How about $50?" I replied "Hmmm, I was thinking more like $40." He said "Yeah, we can do $40."

$40 for everything SEGA Saturn 'MEGA' lot

System complete with power cord (yup it was there), AV cable, manual.

Controllers, Fight Stick, Official Multi tap, extension cords

Games

Better Games

Best Games

The Sonic Jam has the foam, SEGA catalog and Trading Card.

Oh and they mentioned that they loved playing BomberMan, but the case was no where to be found. When we booted up the system, we got a pleasant surprise.

The people were really nice...Hopefully they will call me if they decide to sell some more stuff!!

:bouncy:

bread's done
Back