2013 Yard Sale Thread

Been a pretty dry summer for me, but I got something good from my wife's sister's husband's parents (parent-in-law?  I'm really not 100%)

Master System Games (all complete unless otherwise noted)

Alf

Cloud Master

R-Type

Rambo III

Columns - Case and game

Lord of the Sword

Wanted

Fantasy Zone

Aerial Assault - Case and manual only :(

Altered Beast

Hang On/Safari Hunt

Paperboy

Captain Silver

Dead Angle

Time Soldiers

Alien Syndrome

Penguin Land

Rastan

Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse

Alex Kidd: High-Tech World

Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars

Rampage

Double Dragon

PS2 PAL games (that I have no idea with what to do)

Forgotten Realm: Demon Stone

Def Jam Fight for NY

GoldenEye: Rogue Agent

Lord of the Rings: The Third Age

The Incredibles

Cost: $10

Brother-in-law found them in a box in a shed, and they said they have tons more games across lots of systems and like 200-300 NES games, but they don't want to part with them yet.  These were just some doubles they had.  They're going to try and dig out the doubles of their NES games pretty soon so hopefully I get some good stuff there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice stuff! FYI your wifes sisters husbands parents would be no relation to you or your wife. They are the parents in law to your wifes sister though, thats as close as you 2 come to family. Kinda confusing, hopefully helpful 

Nice stuff! FYI your wifes sisters husbands parents would be no relation to you or your wife. They are the parents in law to your wifes sister though, thats as close as you 2 come to family. Kinda confusing, hopefully helpful
Thus: his sister-in-law's parents-in-law.

It's all confusing. And you likely will meet at a bbq/family reunion at some point.

Thus: his sister-in-law's parents-in-law.

It's all confusing. And you likely will meet at a bbq/family reunion at some point.
HA maybe! I could shorten that line of people and still not see someone! The only time Id expect to see my own sister's future in-laws would be at her and her bfs wedding. I wouldnt have any business at his family reunions.

w5taf.jpg

This is everything I got this week.

:dvd: Neon Genesis Evangelion Perfect Collection - $20

PS1 Lunar 2 Eternal Blue Complete - $5 (missing pendant)

:ps2: DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi - $1

And 3 Skylanders - Flameslinger, Whirlwind, and Double Trouble - for $5 total.

Lunar 2 was a really exciting find even with the missing pendant (which looks like it's worth about $30 alone, oy vey.) I actually already have a copy of this game which is similarly missing some extras though I can't remember which.

The Skylanders and Evangelion set were from the same sale. They had a ton of anime but none of it really stood out to me except the Evangelion set which I knew had to be worth something. Seller wouldn't budge on the price so I reluctantly dropped $20 on it. Not sure yet whether I really want to keep it, but I've never seen the series so I'll definitely watch it at least once.

As for the Skylanders, their packaging is even more trashed than it looks in the photo, but for $5 they were still a great deal to go along with the set I got a few weeks ago.

w5taf.jpg

This is everything I got this week.

:dvd: Neon Genesis Evangelion Perfect Collection - $20

PS1 Lunar 2 Eternal Blue Complete - $5 (missing pendant)

:ps2: DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi - $1

And 3 Skylanders - Flameslinger, Whirlwind, and Double Trouble - for $5 total.

Lunar 2 was a really exciting find even with the missing pendant (which looks like it's worth about $30 alone, oy vey.) I actually already have a copy of this game which is similarly missing some extras though I can't remember which.

The Skylanders and Evangelion set were from the same sale. They had a ton of anime but none of it really stood out to me except the Evangelion set which I knew had to be worth something. Seller wouldn't budge on the price so I reluctantly dropped $20 on it. Not sure yet whether I really want to keep it, but I've never seen the series so I'll definitely watch it at least once.

As for the Skylanders, their packaging is even more trashed than it looks in the photo, but for $5 they were still a great deal to go along with the set I got a few weeks ago.
Nice finds, I picked up that same evangelion set at a yard sale for $2! That pacific rim movie basically ripped off evangelion.

I had a pretty good morning on Saturday looking for games. I found the NES games in the picture below before hitting up a semi-annual flea market, so I put the rest of my finds over in that thread. Anyway, I managed to pick Top Gun, Gyromite, Mickey Mousecapade, Adventures in the Magic Kingdom, and Commando all for $10. Pretty good considering I didn't have any of them.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:23061]

I had a pretty good morning on Saturday looking for games. I found the NES games in the picture below before hitting up a semi-annual flea market, so I put the rest of my finds over in that thread. Anyway, I managed to pick Top Gun, Gyromite, Mickey Mousecapade, Adventures in the Magic Kingdom, and Commando all for $10. Pretty good considering I didn't have any of them.
You should check to see if that gyromite has a converter in it

I still need to post my finds from the last few weeks, but this weekend once again just showed me how much the area plays a role.

In the hipster/college kid area the competition is ridiculous and really crosses the line into the stupid zone. I went to a yard sale that was on the same street as another sale I went to a few weeks ago (another mess of a sale).

I got there 10 minutes early and there are 15+ people standing in the drive way waiting for the boxes to come out. Then as the guy brings the boxes out the people start reaching and pulling stuff out as he is trying to get through with the box to put down. It got to the point where the guy was asking people to please back off and give him some room.

It was nuts. People shouldering and pushing on each other for mostly junk. The only good things I saw was one guy got a Ti-83 calculator. The only games were Dick Tracey, Bart vs. Space Mutants and something else that some guy swooped up as the box was put down. Everytime I head to this area I see the same thing. This is near by where I commented a month ago on how some girl started trying to get in between me and the owners when he was showing me some games he brought out for me.

On this same street a few weeks ago I got there a few minutes early and there were a ton of people and some girl sitting on the ground just blocking off of a box of DVDs and graphic novels as she scanned each one with her Palm and some other old man was trying to block off a big box of anime DVDs as he scanned.

I honestly never believed some of the stories I heard you guys say over the last few seasons, but since I moved to this area I can see it happening. Especially now that I recognize some of the people when I go around.

I really only try to go this area if there is a sale that really really really catches my interest. If not I stay in my neck of the woods. That area being hipster, college kids, alternative folks, etc. has probably lot more comics, anime, and games but the competition is so fierce that I don't feel like dealing with them. If I stay more in my area I seem to have much better luck later in the day.

I do have some good finds from the last few weeks and I promise to update - especially since it seems this thread is losing steam.

I've had a lot of great find in the last few weeks, but I haven't had much time to document the evidence. Most of the lots were partially flipped before I had a chance to photograph everything. As much as I would like to document my finds, I would much rather spend my time selling doubles so I don't run out of yard sale/thrift store/flea market money. Maybe I'll try and photograph my favorite finds, as opposed to the boxes of games I've landed in the last few weeks.

Alas, no Famicom converter in the copy of Gyromite I picked up, but I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for potential leads. I'd love to be able to play Famicom games without going through all the hoopla of properly setting up a Famicom.

Up and out early again on Friday.  Because apparently, its pretty hardball out here, and there was a big block sale and a sale advertising video games that started at 9.

I swing by a sale that's close by a bit early as they are setting up, and when I ask about games, the woman goes in and comes out with some Wii games.  She says she just wants to get rid of them.  I offer $5, she comes back with $6, and that's perfectly fine by me.

Finds 8/31/13 by geekquisitions, on Flickr

Toy Story Mania, Epic Mickey, and Cooking Mama Cook Off- $6, and we're just getting warmed up.

I get to the sale advertising games, and see a pile of PS2 sports games and some highly priced Genesis controllers.  A bit of back and forth, and $7 later I have these babies to bring home and test out:

Finds 8/31/13 by geekquisitions, on Flickr

Five Genesis controllers - $7
Total:  $13

I'm off to the big sale now, and I park at the first house and, not seeing anything, ask about games.  Even though its barely the 9:00 start time, they've already had a lot of people asking about games.  I walk down the block; find some Xbox sports games, leave my number with some people who have games but not at the sale, and back on the road.

I go to a couple more sales, get directed to a kid when I ask the woman running it about games.  He tells me to give him some time to look, so I head to a moving sale while he does.  Nothing there, in fact, its one of those sales organized by a third party with ridiculous prices (based off of the $5 Harry Potter books that they had out).  Waste of time and gas, I head back down to the sale.

The kid found his GBA Yoshi's Island, cartridge only with no label.  He tells me he checked eBay and, since it's $100 new, he will let me have it for the absurdly low, rock-bottom, once-in-a-lifetime price of $40.  I politely decline.

I pick up an old lantern and a paint roller set at another yard sale for a pending home improvement project, but that's it for gaming stuff for Friday.

So, last Friday?  Not as good as last Saturday.

It's been about a year since I last posted but I had a pretty sweet find this past weekend so I figured I'd post it. I pull up to a yard sale and in the garbage the people have by the road I see a stack of issues of Nintendo Power that look pretty old. As I go to grab them the people say "oh that's just trash". I told them I wanted the magazines if they didn't mind. The guy asks if I want some more and proceeds to go back and forth from his basement bringing out stacks of them. He was going to just give them to me but I felt like it was only fair to give him 5 bucks. I asked about games and apparently he still has all of his NES stuff for his grandkids to play with. With the condition of this stuff I can only imagine how pristine his collection must be.

So I got almost every issue of Nintendo Power from 1 - 79, the very first GamePro issue and about 20 more early issues, and the other miscellaneous guides.

9703017421_27bbfbd582_z.jpg

9706219888_e2db4fda25_z.jpg

Warning: Lots of images in the spoiler.

9703020611_746beafc80_c.jpg

9706261736_74507f36ba_c.jpg

9703014423_6d3685dd99_c.jpg

9706231334_339c4885e6_c.jpg

9702998863_fd3d91c064_c.jpg

9702991467_454afd700d_c.jpg

9702988211_42e20c2c77_c.jpg

9706216086_d83b1c3462_c.jpg

9702973167_d744084ed8_c.jpg

9702969609_c0565451ac_c.jpg

9706240598_6f7fa9ff19_z.jpg

9703007443_53325bae0a_z.jpg

9706247430_b6dd5b6ab4_z.jpg

I got a few good things today...I am hoping a couple of people will pull through that are 'looking for video games' for me. One would be epic if his prices are reasonable. The other has great potential, but I have a feeling he will want top dollar for stuff. I would be happy with either lot, but I have a feeling both parties will look it up on ebay before they contact me. :/

I got a few good things today...I am hoping a couple of people will pull through that are 'looking for video games' for me. One would be epic if his prices are reasonable. The other has great potential, but I have a feeling he will want top dollar for stuff. I would be happy with either lot, but I have a feeling both parties will look it up on ebay before they contact me. :/
I always make sure to get there number and give mine if they say they have games deep in the garage hidden away, Ive had two call backs and only bought from one of them. Im thinking of just skipping giving out my number as that can take time and make me miss out on the next garage sale to other collector's / resellers.

I always make sure to get there number and give mine if they say they have games deep in the garage hidden away, Ive had two call backs and only bought from one of them. Im thinking of just skipping giving out my number as that can take time and make me miss out on the next garage sale to other collector's / resellers.
One is setting everything aside for me, the other has my number, but will also set it aside. I'm just trying not to get excited...Neither sale listed games, but I tend to ask at every sale now. I have to go to the bank in case one or both of them find the stuff we discussed. Fingers crossed!

Had a sale I went to today. Ad said started at 9am and No Early Birds. I got there at 8:55AM and started looking and the woman holding the yard sale SCREAMED at me to leave her property and never come back and "What the fuck do you think 'No Early Birds' means?"

Who would have thought 5 minutes was such a big deal.

Had a sale I went to today. Ad said started at 9am and No Early Birds. I got there at 8:55AM and started looking and the woman holding the yard sale SCREAMED at me to leave her property and never come back and "What the fuck do you think 'No Early Birds' means?"

Who would have thought 5 minutes was such a big deal.
Were her signs out? If they were, you can say, "Your signs are out, usually that means you are open." (People assume you see their ad on CL or something, but you could just have easily been driving by.) I always make sure to say "Hello" when I approach, so that people have an opportunity to react.

The number exchange thing is tricky; the only time it has really worked for me was if it involved a relative not present at sale, and even then only if I'm able to get in touch with them that evening or the next day. Usually if the garage sale host isn't willing to dig out games on the spot--they'll even be less willing to do so in the long term.

Happy Friday the 13th everyone...My luck is pretty good today. I picked up some cheap lots at a new sale today, stopped by at the other 2 places that I talked about as well. The one guy found some of the stuff and showed it to me. We agreed on a price if he can find the missing components. The other guy didn't have time to look yet, but his wife said they will call tonight about the stuff he has for sale.

Stopped by about 10 sales this morning and came up with nothing until the last two.  The GC games don't have manuals and have very light scratches on the discs, but for $1 each I couldn't pass them up

Sonic Heroes

Kirby Air Ride

Super Smash Bros. Melee

The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Luigi's Mansion

Culdcept Saga (360) for $5 at the last sale.  I may go back later to day and do some haggling for a couple of other games and a HD-DVD drive for the 360 with about 10 movies.

Edit: Stopped back at the sale with the 360 HD-DVD drive, but it was gone.  Should have bought it earlier.  Did pick up Dead Alive Xtreme 2 (360) and the three Burger King games for the Xbox for $8.

I stopped at a garage sale yesterday after 3:00, they had some original xbox, ps2, and wii games. After I asked if they had any other stuff, they said that they had a gamecube and they went inside and got it.

So, for $20 I got:

silver gamecube with cords

silver wired controller

wired mad catz controller

Super Monkey Ball(complete)

The Sims Bustin Out(missing manual)

The Simpsons Hit and Run(complete)

Mario Kart Double Dash(complete)

Monopoly Party(complete)

Tetris Worlds(complete)

Mario Party 5(complete)

Super Mario Sunshine(complete)

You guys are finding some nice gamecube games! Usually they are all junk by me. I did find a sunshine last year but it was disc only, if I remember correctly.

Today was pretty fantastic.

First is one of my favorite buys of the year. I originally bought this because it goes for so much on eBay.

But once I started playing around with this, I think I'll keep it. Coolest toy I have ever bought. And it looks nice with my R2D2 Xbox 360. The cost- $10

nkhQCyx.jpg

Then here's this stuff.

PS2 phat with a strange mod where it has a flip top installed for $3

PS2 slim that may or may not work- $.25

Nintendo DSi with case and original box- $15

Bose 141 Speaker Set- $5

CmnsXRu.jpg

Saturday update!!!

Went back to the house that had the R2D2 because the detachable antenna was missing and I was hoping they  would have it, but no one was there. So I decided to drive around the neighborhood more as the whole area was filled with yard sales and bought 2 Harvest moon games for $1 each and a old Marantz stereo receiver for free.

IU0SHw7.jpg

4LCymbZ.jpg

went to a neighborhood wide sale but nothing to really brag about

got:

bag full of bakugan/beyblade stuff for $5

crafting mama+marvel ultimate alliance-$5

and miami vice complete series missing 2 discs for $4

Well I probably should update it. As some others said it takes lots of time to sort through and take pics of everything but I have some pics I've taken so I will post those.

I'm honestly almost feeling a little relived the yard sale season is almost over. Going out every weekend since June has been tough (except for San Diego Comic-Con). It's almost like going to work every day of the week.

8/24 & 9/25

$2

two Nintendo pin sets. One is complete, the other only has a few pins

$50

Huge bundle of graphic novels

Big box of TMNT toys and vehicles

a few Sega Genesis games

Some old D&D figures

couple of board games and other assorted

I was guilty of being an early bird here. I got there an hour early (for a 12 noon yard sale).

I will also plug the guys website - www.magnetcomic.com , he just has a sucessful kickstarter and was talking to me about it..

I was very happy with the guys comic collection. Blankets, Usagi Yojimbo, Scott Pilgrim (missing one volume to m, Blankets, Powers, etc. I'm going to probably keep 90% of and just trade or sell off the Walking Dead ones. I also need to sort through the all the TMNT toys to decide what I want to keep.

$15

Tactical laser for a rife. Took a chance on this and then sold it for $90 with shipping, so it worked out fine.

$10

Big box of old PC games

Myth 1, Myth 2, Star Trek ones, Journeyman Project, Starcraft, Warcraft, a bunch of different Age of Empires, Civilizations, etc. Nearly all had the manuals, etc. (but no boxes)

Sadly when going through everything I found the manual from Grim Fandango, but there was no game to be found. Bleh. Last year I found the manual to Day of the Tentacle and Maniac Mansion, but no game.

8/31 & 9/1

Raining but I managed to hit a few

Big score was for $2 I got a sealed in the box Care Bears vehicle from the 80's

$4

In the box GBA (original) -along with some Winnie the Pooh toys

9/7 & 9/8

$24

Wii games - Smash Bros, NSMB, Pokemon Battle, Mario Kart,

Gcube - Sonic Adventure 2

DS - Kirby (I forget which one now)

$3

Went back to last week's sale with the Care Bears (by mistake, I would've skipped it if I recognized the address)

picked up sealed Virtual Pet, some loose Care Bear toys, and a sealed Elf toy from 82

I already sold the virtual pet for $25

$10

Some comic trades/collections from the late 70's

Origin of Super Heroines, Bad Guys, Origin of someone else (I think just some good guys)

Smithsonian hardcover book on comics

2x little kids TMNT books

$45

2 x N64, 3 controllers, Memory card, 2x Super Mario 64, Dr. Mario, Tetris, and a few puzzles,

I probably overpaid slightly compared to what I usually do, but what can you do

$5

Crash of the Titans for the 360, kind of expensive but sold for 15

$10

bunch of sealed Time Life CDs, Halo 2, Daxter PSP, Eminem CD

$5

Small purple book case, Cinderella DVD, Thornbery Movie DVD, Piggy bank

$65

Pink DS lite w had case, soft case, car charger, extra styluses, games

- games were mario 64, mario kart, some kids games and then two games without the labels. Little girl said mario party and animal crossing turned out be pet vet and diddy kong racing

- Punch out!! for the Wii

- Big nice solid book case. Was happy to get this

9/14 - Today

$80

Huge car full of Transformers, Voltron, GI Joe and He-man toys and playsets

- they are all in pieces and very very dusty but there is alot of stuff here. Castle Grayskull alot of GI Joe Vehicles, He-man action figures, etc. I'm going to have to spend alot of time sorting through it all today. Hopefully clean it up before the girlfriend yells at me.

One thing that surprised me was the lady said someone had just bought the atari she had and a bunch of nintendo games, but left behind all this stuff. There was a lot more Nintendo stuff I left behind because it was just filthy. Like super dirty dirty dirty. I didn't even bother making an offer on it. There were like 2x NES, some controllers, etc.

$8

3 Pokemon DVDs and a set of Star Trek blue prints.

- this was kind of a mistake. I left my phone in the car and really had no idea about the blue print set. The girl was selling it for her dad and walk talking to me and telling me he wanted $20. I knew that was too high and with my phone about a block away I didn't want to go back and get it. I started to just walk away and the girl said well what would you give for it and I said how about $5. She said she'd do that without telling her dad.

Looking it up online it worth like 5 or so bucks. Oh well. I've had horrible luck over the years with any Star Trek, I should just avoid

$1.50

Last Unicorn DVD and Yoshi Plushie. The plushie is bigger than a keychain but smaller than a normal plush

25 cents

Kyle from South Park plushie - brand new. Wish it was Kenny or Cartman. Oh well.

Some Pics are below

- this doesn't even capture all the awesomeness from the one sale with the comics and turtles

20130824_1701221_zpsa694ab47.jpg

20130824_1701301_zps697cbee0.jpg

20130824_1701481_zpsc080786e.jpg
20130824_1702361_zps04a29751.jpg
20130824_1704451_zps5118095d.jpg

That R2D2 is sweet. I saw one at savers, but it wasn't working and they still wanted 14.99 for it. I thought about picking it up and tinkering with it, but I left it. Congrats on finding one!

You guys are finding some nice gamecube games! Usually they are all junk by me. I did find a sunshine last year but it was disc only, if I remember correctly.
In my area, all the kids/parents seem to be dumping them. Systems too. Everytime I go out I see one or two full systems (cables, controllers, etc.) for about $10 - 20. Only thing is the systems and games are usually trashed.

Now for the report. Hit two neighborhood sales today, but all the resellers seemed to be out in force. Everytime I would ask for games they would say someone had just come by and bought everything. I did manage to find one sale before them and picked up (all with manuals);

Super Monkey Ball (GC)

Rayman Raving Rabbids (Wii)

Elebits (Wii)

Trauma Center Second Opinion (Wii)

Wii Play

and the Gorillaz Demon Days LIve DVD for $10. As I was walking out of that sale I saw the base and the three figures from the Skylanders Wii Bundle buried in a box of toys. Haggled that down to $10.

From yesterday, I forgot to mention them because I forgot them in the car, but I was able to pick up 4 PC games still sealed. They had $3 ea. on them but I offered $4 for all of them and they took it.

Doom II

Phantasmagoria

The 11th Hour

Wolfenstein Spear of Destiny

Also picked up a Player's Edge cleaning kit for the SNES for $1.

Overall, not a bad weekend for the amount of competition.

I've hit about 2 dozen yard sales in my area in the last couple weekends and absolutely NO games around.  Everybody here just sells clothes and tables.

And to add to my bad experience...today I bought Yahtzee for $0.50 from a lady's sale, she said everything was in it and they'd played it twice.  Opened the box when I got home and it was literally filled with used scorecards.  Not even any dice included!!!  fuck that.

Today was awesome. Pics to come!

@Ferrari Racer.. a FREE Marantz receiver? very nice
I thought at first when I bought it probably wouldn't be worth much since it's so old. When I looked on eBay back at home, I was shocked! I think the one I got works. All the lights work( it looks REALLY nice with the lights on ). Just need to figure out how to get my speakers connected to it.

I've hit about 2 dozen yard sales in my area in the last couple weekends and absolutely NO games around. Everybody here just sells clothes and tables.

And to add to my bad experience...today I bought Yahtzee for $0.50 from a lady's sale, she said everything was in it and they'd played it twice. Opened the box when I got home and it was literally filled with used scorecards. Not even any dice included!!! fuck that.
I always check inside boxes before I buy anything like that. I can't count how many times I've found incomplete sets when the owner says everything is there.

Haven't been finding much these past few weeks. Paid $5 for PS2 Star Wars Starfighter, GBA Treasure Planet, and GBA Jimmy Neutron Boy Genius. First two are complete but the third is missing the game...hopefully I can still make some money off the box.

Only other find today was ~400 Pokemon cards for $5. There are a few rares in there so I can make my money back and keep most of them.

1zm0diw.jpg

:360: Batman: AA - Kinectimals (Now with Bears version) :lol: - Lego Star Wars: Complete Saga - Mortal Kombat vs DCU

:ps3: - Cawadoody 3 - Lego Harry Potter Years 1-4 - Lego Pirates

$1 each, so $7 total. Pretty good games, actually - and you can't argue with the price.

28we9ow.jpg

:360: Wireless Les Paul - $4 at a thrift shop. The tilt sensor on it doesn't seem to be working right though.

:wii: Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock bundle, complete - $10 at a yard sale.

And finally, one of the crowning jewels of my yard sale season (not that there's much of it left...)

2hf48iu.jpg

:wii: Xenoblade Chronicles, complete and mint - $10! :hot:

This was marked $18, as you can see, but this was one of those odd situations where the seller actually lowballed me and just said "$10 is fine." If you insist, cool guy! The game is in ridiculously good condition too. I still have my original sealed copy so this is going on ebay. I just wish I'd found it before the recent Gamestop fiasco - in my opinion they definitely did reprint the game and the prices have gone down accordingly. But still, you gotta admit this is an awesome score.

Score for me today!

Went to a giant parking lot sale, found some stuff:

Gamecube Super Mario Strikers

Gamecube Mario Party 5

Gamecube Mario Party 7

Gamecube Super Smash Bros Melee

Everything in good shape and complete. All for $10, down from $5 each.

PS1 Street Fighter Ex 2 Plus

PS1 Speed Punks

Complete and in good shape. $3 for both.

Futurama Bender's Big Score DVD $1. Cardboard casing was a little bent, but it is not for resale so no big deal, the disc looks perfect.

Saw 2 Xbox 360s, for almost $150 and $175 with no games. It may have been different had it been at a house and I could have tested them out. A dirty NES for $75, a cleaner one for $50. A $12 Original PS1 with the RCA output. (which is supposed to be one of the best CD players you can get I think) a $25 PS2 Slim that looked like it came from the dump, a stack of PS2 games, but most of the discs were missing or not the right game, so I passed on them all.

Running out of daylight for yard sales here, but I haven't done bad this year. I think there may be 2 or 3 good weeks left. It was pretty cold out this morning.

I got something of an eclectic score from my first yardsale stop of the day; the ad looked like it was going to be a ho-hum Playstation 1 console with a few games, but it turned out to be a friggin' whole family library of 40+ games with the console as a side garnish. The games were clean and the prices were addled-minded ($1 each or 5 for $6, or is that 6 for $5?) which is just how we like them. Here were my choice picks of local reseller denial:

Ape Escape

Batman Beyond: The Return of the Joker

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Darkstalkers

Digimon World 2

Jersey Devil

King's Field

Marvel Super Heroes

MediEvil

Mega Man X4

Metal Gear Solid

Tekken 2

The Simpsons Wrestling

Twisted Metal 3

Warpath: Jurassic Park

Xena: Warrior Princess

All for $10, self-discounted by the Lawn Hostess.

For the rest of my day the finds were minor; however, I did run into this semi-transient art school dude who was hunting for games himself-- in the college & old people section of town where I never find anything :wave: It seemed like the guy was just starting out, so I drove him back to my part of town where I had an earlier contact who mentioned that her brother might have some spare video games and Legos to part with. As it turns out, the brother didn't have anything super fantastic in terms of video games or Legos (I almost didn't want to pitch on the Legos due the amount of Megablocks in the container, but finally settled on $6 once he brought out a helicopter and a couple of minifigs). The art dude really shined as a negotiator though when the brother brought out a PS2 fat console with about 20 games. At first a few of the games were brought out to me, but I wasn't seeing anything more than scratches and couple of Abe Lincolns at best. It was time for the new guy, and man could he play the Poor Card, the Ramen card, the Everything-but-paying-above-$20 card (Indigo's suggested price). It was one of those harrowing situations where the buyer and seller are so close on price that you just want to find ANYTHING that's bundleworthy, but there's no obvious choices coming out of the woodwork.

Finally the owner caved though, and condolences were exchanged. As it often goes in the gray morality of an Indigo world, an attempt to do good leads to the creation of a new and rampant evil, with a face that looks like Lego Star Wars and Destroy all Humans...

Last edited:
29vo57k.jpg
140i04j.jpg

Super Monkey Ball Deluxe (Complete) - 3
Tekken Tag Tournament (Complete) - 1
Pac-Man Books (Smaller One Still Has The Record) - .15
GoldenEye 007 & Rush 2: Extreme Racing USA - 1.25
7 N64 Games & Twisted Metal 2 (All Boxed Games Are Complete) - 5
SNES With Everything Needed & Donkey Kong Country 3 (Controllers Are Knockoffs) - 10
9 SNES Games - 10

Super Monkey Ball Deluxe was the only thing I got Friday and was asking price. I got 15 small books at one sale for a buck and figured that works out to about .15 for the 2 video game related ones I have pictured. I didn't realize how bad the picture turned out till I got a good look at it on my computer but you can probably still tell that the 2 N64 games at the bottom are in really poor shape but I figured I'd take a chance on cleaning them up and hopefully getting them to work for .75 & .50. The N64 games & Twisted Metal 2 were a buck each and I offered 5 for the 8 I Got. When I asked about video games at one house they brought out a SNES with DKC 3, asked how much and they countered with how much will you give me for it not sure if they were going to want the moon & the stars I offered $10 anyways which they took. Asked about video games at one sale Friday and the lady hinted at having something older, return on Saturday and it was SNES games that were $2 each. Got Mario Kart, Mortal Kombat & Street Fighter II for 2 each then on the way home I stopped by again and ended up seeing if they wanted to do better to get rid of the rest which were still around. Guy offered to do 6 for the last 6 and I was thinking more like .50 each so I countered with 4 which he took. Anything else I didn't mention details about was asking price.

Non Find BS
Last weekend I went to 32 sales and didn't buy a single video game, when I asked about video games one house mentioned an Intellivision system (no games it sounded like) that they threw away a few weeks before and another mentioned some friends ended up taking all of the video games for said yard sale before it even started. This week I went to 6 yardsales on Friday & 13 Saturday along with one smaller flea market type deal also. I actually did have some good luck this week but probably more bad luck, Friday I passed by a sale that started at 9 at about 7:45 and ended up going back to it as my last sale of the day at about 9:10. When I asked about video games I was told about an Atari with about 100 games that they sold for $35 with a few games mentioned (Smurfs being the only one not really common if it was indeed the 2600 one and not the ColecoVision one in the mix). I didn't feel like showing up to a sale an hour + early but can't help but think that I should have drove by at least and stopped if I saw anything going on. The Sale I got the Pac-Man books at was a Friday & Saturday sale but I didn't bother going since it was the only sale on my list around that area for Friday and was way out of my way and on Saturday when I got to it I was told about a SNES with 5 or 6 games that sold on Friday. So the last sale I went to Friday and the one I skipped and went to on Saturday were the ones that had something video game related and interesting out for sale. Another sale Friday mentioned a NES and could only find a zapper, came back Saturday and still couldn't find it and offered to take my number. It wasn't that big of a deal as the guy asked his wife what they were worth and the lady said $45 as if she looked it up at some point recently so I don't know what they were going to ask but for what sounded like it was going to be a NES with a handful of games I'm not too optimistic about what they were going to ask for it. The sale I got the boxed N64 games at had a small sign on the box that said N64 $5 but BSing with the girl it sounds as if she didn't realize that her mom was going to put it out for sale and actually pulled the system and Super Mario 64 to keep. The 2 rough N64 games were actually from the small flea market thing I went to. Guy had mostly newer stuff with some older stuff but all priced at about what it's worth or a little under. Some systems for 25 like a NES that only had a controller, GC, Xbox. An old model Xbox 360 for $80, boxed Wii for $75 etc, Last gen games with different prices (mostly 3 to 5) but mostly nothing worth noting. The biggest oddity was he also had 1 more beat up N64 cart in Mario 64 which instead of having priced cheap he had marked at $15. The 9 SNES games were from a sale I was at Friday that mentioned having some sort of old games at home, return Saturday (just before 8) I don't see the lady who I talked to Friday but say to a guy that I talked to a lady yesterday about video games and he actually just put them out and the one seller I known from the flea market (who I know and BS with bought from and even helped out with some minor video related stuff) had the first 3 games already in his hand, it was rather awkward and I told him it wasn't his fault for tripping over some games I asked about but didn't try to stress to said seller to hold for me (I always feel like I'm being too pushy if I do so) and if he really wanted them he could have them as by yard sale rules he did have them in his hand and it was my fault at this point for not making sure to stress that they do hold any games they brought and we both kind of did the whole no it's ok you can have them if you want them thing but I ended up with them and told him he could have them for what I paid for them if he changes his mind, he doesn't have a SNES ATM and mentioned that he was just going to buy them to sell.

I went to a couple garage sales after 2:00 today. The first garage sale I stopped at had a bunch of original xbox games(nothing good) and a original xbox with cords and 4 wired controller for $50. I saw some extra cords(for the original xbox and xbox 360) in a box on the ground and asked the lady about them and she said that I could just have them, and I also bought a wireless pelican eclipse xbox controller for $3(it had the receiver). The cords that were in the box were: xbox 360 ac adapter, xbox 360 component cable, official original xbox HD component cable, and a original xbox monster component cable. I didn't know that the original xbox component cables that I got were worth $30 each on ebay when I got them.

Got some printer ink for cheap yesterday:

2x single pack Lexmark 36  $0.25 ea

Combo pack Lexmark 36 and 37 $0.50

so $1.00 for 3x 36 (black) and 1x 37 (color) Lexmark printer ink  :D

Nice finds, everyone.  That SNES looks beautiful, Fonewearl.

I'm a bit behind in my posting, but I've been out like crazy and its been pretty awesome.  Here are my finds from last Friday, 9/6:

I kick Friday off out west.  I had been talking to someone on CraigsList the night before who had a lot of two 3DSes for sale, with some games, for $140.  However, the lady and I had tickets to Wicked Thursday night, so I couldn't pick it up and we made arrangements for me to come by on Friday.  It just so happened, my yard sale route took me into their area.

I let Mrs. Geek sleep in while I got out the door bright and early.  The first sale I drove by was all kinds of creepy -- loads of Star Trek collector's plates, and not a single person around.  I didn't see any gaming stuff, or the sale runner to ask, so I was off to the next sale.

I poked around for a bit and didn't see any gaming stuff.  When I asked, though, the dude running the sale poked around in a CD bin, and found a disc-only copy of Kingdom Hearts.  I picked it up for a dollar, and as I was leaving, a mass of gray cable caught my eye.  I saw the lovely Apple-esque white of a Wii underneath.  Another fiver later and the day is already off to a nice start.

Finds 9/6/2013 by geekquisitions, on Flickr

Wii console, no wiimotes, and Kingdom Hearts:  $6

I hit a few more sales, and nothing.  No one has any gaming stuff.  Boo!  I turn down another street, to head to an unlisted sale, and stop at a sale that's just setting up on the same street - a neighbor taking advantage of the signs and traffic.  DOUBLE UNLISTED SALE.  No real "gaming" stuff, but they are apparently sick of these little guys who are taking over their entire house and let me take them off their hands for a $10 adoption fee.  Then I notice Pikachu, and fork over another buck.

Skylanders and Pikachu:  $11
25 pieces of Skylanders (including bags and portals) @ $10 = $0.40 each
Running total spent:  $17

I found another sale that had some Star Wars figures.  I chatted with the sale runners, lamenting how I also had collected them when I was younger and that they're completely worthless now, while the son ran inside to check for games.  He accepted $3 for the lot which included a wallet with a bunch of PlayStation Magazine demo discs.  The funniest thing ever, though, was this giant meathead guy who showed up and was asking about Darth Maul and Boba Fett stuff, going on about how Maul was his favorite Star Wars character ever.  I stifled my giggling until I got back to my car.

PSX sealed games and demo discs:  $3
Cost per item for 18 items - $0.17 ea.
Total for the day:  $20

In my favorite CraigsList find in a while, I end my yardsaling day picking these up for $140:

The best part was that Paper Mario, Sonic, and the second, sealed Angry Birds weren't even discussed beforehand, they were just thrown in as the seller had found them.  I would have offered more, but because it was CraigsList, I only brought the exact amount with me out of caution.  So, sweet find to cap off my Friday!

3DS Lot:  $140
Cost per item for 10 items:  $14
Total for the day:  $160

This was good.  But Saturday...oh, Saturday, was so much better.

Nice finds, everyone. That SNES looks beautiful, Fonewearl.

I'm a bit behind in my posting, but I've been out like crazy and its been pretty awesome. Here are my finds from last Friday, 9/6:

I kick Friday off out west. I had been talking to someone on CraigsList the night before who had a lot of two 3DSes for sale, with some games, for $140. However, the lady and I had tickets to Wicked Thursday night, so I couldn't pick it up and we made arrangements for me to come by on Friday. It just so happened, my yard sale route took me into their area.

I let Mrs. Geek sleep in while I got out the door bright and early. The first sale I drove by was all kinds of creepy -- loads of Star Trek collector's plates, and not a single person around. I didn't see any gaming stuff, or the sale runner to ask, so I was off to the next sale.

I poked around for a bit and didn't see any gaming stuff. When I asked, though, the dude running the sale poked around in a CD bin, and found a disc-only copy of Kingdom Hearts. I picked it up for a dollar, and as I was leaving, a mass of gray cable caught my eye. I saw the lovely Apple-esque white of a Wii underneath. Another fiver later and the day is already off to a nice start.

Wii console, no wiimotes, and Kingdom Hearts: $6

I hit a few more sales, and nothing. No one has any gaming stuff. Boo! I turn down another street, to head to an unlisted sale, and stop at a sale that's just setting up on the same street - a neighbor taking advantage of the signs and traffic. DOUBLE UNLISTED SALE. No real "gaming" stuff, but they are apparently sick of these little guys who are taking over their entire house and let me take them off their hands for a $10 adoption fee. Then I notice Pikachu, and fork over another buck.

Skylanders and Pikachu: $11
25 pieces of Skylanders (including bags and portals) @ $10 = $0.40 each
Running total spent: $17

I found another sale that had some Star Wars figures. I chatted with the sale runners, lamenting how I also had collected them when I was younger and that they're completely worthless now, while the son ran inside to check for games. He accepted $3 for the lot which included a wallet with a bunch of PlayStation Magazine demo discs. The funniest thing ever, though, was this giant meathead guy who showed up and was asking about Darth Maul and Boba Fett stuff, going on about how Maul was his favorite Star Wars character ever. I stifled my giggling until I got back to my car.

PSX sealed games and demo discs: $3
Cost per item for 18 items - $0.17 ea.
Total for the day: $20

In my favorite CraigsList find in a while, I end my yardsaling day picking these up for $140:

The best part was that Paper Mario, Sonic, and the second, sealed Angry Birds weren't even discussed beforehand, they were just thrown in as the seller had found them. I would have offered more, but because it was CraigsList, I only brought the exact amount with me out of caution. So, sweet find to cap off my Friday!

3DS Lot: $140
Cost per item for 10 items: $14
Total for the day: $160

This was good. But Saturday...oh, Saturday, was so much better.
Very nice pickup. Id sell both 3ds and get an XL if you dont already have one. I can never go back to regular models after owning XL models

I've actually been rotating out 3DSes, haha.  I had my Ambassador 3DS at first.  Last month, I picked up a blue 3DS XL that had Luigi's Mansion pre-installed, and last week I transferred it to a blue 3DS XL that was in far better condition and also had Mario Kart.

The first 3DS XL with games was 180 -- I sold my friend my 3DS for 100 cash and sold a few of the bundled games to recoup about 160 in total, I kept Pokemon Black 2.  The second XL was 200, but it also included a ton of really good games.  I sold the first XL with some crappy DS games for $180 on eBay, and I'm selling a few of the spare 3DS games and so far my upgrades have turned a nice profit.

I already sold that blue 3DS on GameTZ for 100...I'll probably sell the red one online, too.  I was going to sell it to another friend, technically my friend's boyfriend, but he was being a dick with haggling over it since I was already offering a good price and he couldn't pay it all up front anyway...and his gf just mentioned his car crapped out.  I don't want to go back on our deal, but she'll kill me if I'm selling him gaming stuff when he should be paying real bills.

So if anyone wants that red 3DS for $100 shipped its all yours, haha.

There was a local town-wide yard sale yesterday. The day was great, but could have potentially been even better. When I got home I looked at Craigslist garage sale ads and one posted at 5am mentioned over 600 games for vintage systems. The address was in a trailer park just a few streets over from where I hit.  :hot:  Ah well. 

First find of the day... tub of game stuff parents were letting their son sell. I picked up a few things and asked a price. He said $15. Then I asked a price for the whole tub. He said $20. I asked if he was sure. He took another look and did a little more math. $40, he said. I felt much better about this price.

Also included was a slim ps2 with all the hookups and a bunch of wires.

Second game find of the day was the best. Having been to enough yard sales, I'm sure others can relate, I can kind of guess what some folks will have. Stopping for a sale I saw a black suitcase opened on the lawn and said to myself "that's going to have games in it." Got out of the car, saw the games and immediately asked the price. She said $1 apiece. There was one there I told her I was really excited about, and said I was going to pay her more. She said, "ok, $2." 

Pics (first is all good & fine, 2nd one... yeah buddy!): 

Also got a minty Plum Game Boy color with a bunch of games, ~half shown. $10

Sunshine, Tetris (sealed), and wii fit $5. Double Dash $5.

And last find, $25 (but needs a new battery :/)

For any resellers, Zunes have held their value really well and this is the first I've found that needed any work. A lot of times they can be had cheaper than used iPods for not being as identifiable.

bread's done
Back