2014 MLB Season Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow...

that was a better ending than most baseball movies. So sad for the haters that for the billionth time in his career, Derek Jeter rose to the occasion and delivered a fairy tale ending. At the end of the day, it's just trendy to hate a winner. We get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I hate is the media treating him like fuck ing Jesus because of the team he plays for. He is a great player, yes. He is not THE greatest, however, despite the cock sucking everyone does for him.

Tony Gywnn was one of the best hitters in the history of the game and outside of San Diego most people barely knew he retired. Randy Johnson is one of the 10 greatest pitchers in the history of the league and (with Curt Schilling) dragged the Diamondbacks to their championship and he got about 2 hours of coverage. Griffey's career was derailed in Cinci but he was still the greatest player of the 90's and I don't think even Seattle cared. Mike Piazza is arguably the greatest catcher ever and his retirement barely got on the ticker.

It's nights like tonight that make me wanna commit suicide. I probably would have if I had actually watched the game instead of working.

What I hate is the media treating him like fuck ing Jesus because of the team he plays for. He is a great player, yes. He is not THE greatest, however, despite the cock sucking everyone does for him.

Tony Gywnn was one of the best hitters in the history of the game and outside of San Diego most people barely knew he retired. Randy Johnson is one of the 10 greatest pitchers in the history of the league and (with Curt Schilling) dragged the Diamondbacks to their championship and he got about 2 hours of coverage. Griffey's career was derailed in Cinci but he was still the greatest player of the 90's and I don't think even Seattle cared. Mike Piazza is arguably the greatest catcher ever and his retirement barely got on the ticker.

It's nights like tonight that make me wanna commit suicide. I probably would have if I had actually watched the game instead of working.
Bonds was the best player of the 90s.

I don't hate Jeter at all. I just hate the team. You already saw my Facebook post, Nate, but that ending gave me chills. Great stuff.
In my opinion, it was the closest thing I've witnessed to Michael Jordan making Bryon Russell look silly and hitting that shot to give the Bulls the title in 1998. Obviously, not as much on the line...but considering the situation, with everybody EXPECTING Jeter to come through there, it created an incredibly high pressure moment in an otherwise meaningless game.

There just aren't many moments where you go "Oh, man...wouldn't it be awesome if..." and then that thing actually happens. Bob Costas actually asked Joe Girardi earlier in the game what he'd like to happen to make the night comparable to Rivera's last game in the Bronx last year, and he said "If Derek got a walk-off, game-winning hit, that would be great." Sometimes, good things just happen to good people, and the universe works as it's supposed to. It's nice to see.

AggravatingRespectfulGadwall.gif

Derek-Jeter-Nephew.gif

I don't blame Jeter for sitting out tonight, but it would have been nice if it had been announced more than 15 minutes prior to the game...
During the post-game press conference last night, he told the media he wasn't sure if he'd play tonight. I know that doesn't help much when you have tickets to the game. But I'm sure he'll do something to acknowledge the fans for coming out tonight. I wouldn't even be surprised if he pinch hit late in the game.

They've been hinting at it for awhile now that he might not play at all in Fenway, if the Yankees were officially eliminated.

Jordan Zimmermann got the first No-Hitter in Nationals history today.

Cardinals won the NL Central

Tigers won the AL Central

Mariners are leading, but so are the Athletics.

I agree He is probably the only guy to be able to say he had 2 hall of fame careers. 1 before steroids, and 1 after.

Hopefully this is a sign of good things to come in our future.
Now the Astros just need to surround him with some other hitters. I really wouldn't have guessed Singleton would struggle as much as he did. I always thought him and Santana were the top prospects in the Astro's system, what little I know of it.

Way overdue I think. He should have been fired after all those first round playoff exits. Its debatable how much responsibility a manager bears, but it is time for a new direction for that team.
not until they dump that contract they gave to joe mauer

That was pretty good, particularly the ending. Though I was expecting some badmouthing about the retirement tour, only for the guy to be reminded that the same thing happened for Ripken.
My favorite part was the reference to the "conspiracy" that the Orioles allowed Jeter to win the game so they could go down in history. I've actually seen people around the internet suggesting the pitch was a "cookie". It's incredible how stupid people can be.

Sure, those two home runs Robertson gave up were part of it too...because God knows that's simple to pull off, lol. I get that it was "too perfect", but sometimes that's just how the universe works.

My favorite part was the reference to the "conspiracy" that the Orioles allowed Jeter to win the game so they could go down in history. I've actually seen people around the internet suggesting the pitch was a "cookie". It's incredible how stupid people can be.
Yeah, people on the internet say some dumb shit.

As crazy as this sounds, my belief is that the Yankees decided as an organization that giving Jeter a proper sendoff was more important than making the playoffs this year.

Yeah, people on the internet say some dumb shit.
Geez...that seems unnecessarily mean. In what way is that dumb? Why else keep the guy batting second all year? I just think the Hal Steinbrenner Yankees are more about image than they are about performance. These aren't his daddy's Yankees. Pretty sure George would have voiced an incredible amount of displeasure with how Teixeira and McCann played as well. The team didn't hit all year...and virtually no changes were made. That wouldn't happen if The Boss were still around.

Anyway, for the Jeter conspiracies, here's an amusing article that questions things like why the Orioles didn't walk him and also why Pearce and Johnson were playing "so close" to the bag.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/sep/26/derek-jeter-conspiracy-theories-yankee-stadium-final-game

I will never understand why a batter, after seeing that a pitcher is wild and living well off the plate, yet go up hacking and strike out quickly with 3 embarrassing hacks. Happens literally every other day.

Amazing game. I feel for Adam Dunn, who still didn't get to play in a playoff game. I guess the starter rentals didn't work out so well for Billy Beane.

Never thought that game would end.

Oakland actually surprised me. Didn't think they could score 8 runs. KC is going to be a tough out, unless Salvador Perez keeps coming up with the tying/winning run in scoring position and 2 outs.

...and that's why home field advantage is important. If you'd have guaranteed me 8 runs and Lester starting, I'd have run to Vegas and bet my house on Oakland. The A's will need to do some house cleaning before April.

Somebody else post already.

Bought the ticket. Yay.

Also, Buck Showalter > Ned Yost

Amazing game. I feel for Adam Dunn, who still didn't get to play in a playoff game. I guess the starter rentals didn't work out so well for Billy Beane.
A little bit late on my thoughts on this but it would have been nice to see him hit 500 hrs. He can still draw walks and hit for power even though his bavg has been low the last few years. I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back toward the end of next season as a power option off the bench for an NL team chasing a playoff spot.

Somebody else post already.

Bought the ticket. Yay.

Also, Buck Showalter > Ned Yost
If I had seen your question I'd have told you to get the ticket. Not sure what Oriole tickets normally go for but anytime it is a playoff game it is worth going to. You never know when your team is going to go on a long drought.

Buck just intentionally put the winning run on base. Hugely risky move.

It ends up working out, but he would've taken so much shit if it hadn't.

And the Cardinals. Thankfully the Yankees and Red Sox missed the playoffs.
Screw the Cards. I was kind of secretly hoping for a KC/WAS series but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. It would be kind of interesting to see KC make it since I think they have about a .0001% chance of ever getting to the ALCS again in my lifetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back