2014 Thrift Store Thread - Post your finds here!

Goodwill pickup:

Wavebird Controller w/o Receiver $5

PS2 Logitech Wireless Controller w/ Receiver $6

Harvest Moon Sunshine Island DS Complete $6

Mega Man X7 PS2 Complete $6

Harvest Moon Another Wonderful Life GameCube Complete but disc is scratched (light scratches with a couple deep scratches) $6. I will let it go for $10 shipped if anybody is interested. If not, I'mma hold on to it and have the disc resurface in the future.

DS77kVo.jpg
eeK8ie4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure I felt good about it but I bought it anyway. Picked up a Saturn with about 15 games (mostly sports), 2 official controllers, and steering wheel and pedals. They wanted $25 for it all so I bit on it. I'm just not used to paying that much for something so I was apprehensive.

Also picked up Silent Hill 2 on PS2 for $1 from the same store.

They had a bucket of controllers with some dreamcast ones in it so I'm hoping that a dreamcast bundle is coming out soon.

Not sure I felt good about it but I bought it anyway. Picked up a Saturn with about 15 games (mostly sports), 2 official controllers, and steering wheel and pedals. They wanted $25 for it all so I bit on it. I'm just not used to paying that much for something so I was apprehensive.

They had a bucket of controllers with some dreamcast ones in it so I'm hoping that a dreamcast bundle is coming out soon.
If those Saturn game cases are in good shape they're probably worth more than you paid for the bundle. If you want to get rid of them, you know who to talk to. :D/

BTW, $25 for a Saturn with 15 games is a pretty good price.

If those Saturn game cases are in good shape they're probably worth more than you paid for the bundle. If you want to get rid of them, you know who to talk to. :D/

BTW, $25 for a Saturn with 15 games is a pretty good price.
I guess I'm just spoiled on yard sale prices. Wouldn't give more than $10-$15 for a lot like that.

I guess I'm just spoiled on yard sale prices. Wouldn't give more than $10-$15 for a lot like that.
Your thrift store prices are better than my local yard sale prices these days. That's just sad. I live in a town of 60,000 that has two retro game stores, two Game Stops and about 8-10 flea markets with multiple vendors all competing for used games. That's not counting the online resellers and collectors. Makes finding anything cheap pretty difficult.

Your thrift store prices are better than my local yard sale prices these days. That's just sad. I live in a town of 60,000 that has two retro game stores, two Game Stops and about 8-10 flea markets with multiple vendors all competing for used games. That's not counting the online resellers and collectors. Makes finding anything cheap pretty difficult.
Wow! I guess that the difference in town size. My town is only about 3000, but the town I work in is 17000 or so. Those two towns are where I yard sale too.

Wow! I guess that the difference in town size. My town is only about 3000, but the town I work in is 17000 or so. Those two towns are where I yard sale too.
And on that note the area I yard sale in is about the same sizes as your two areas, however I thrift shop in the suburbs of a city of about 250k, don't really know the populations of the suburbs but I stop at about 8-9 thrifts everytime I go out that way. Usually once a week or so.

That's why I don't like reading the yard sale thread, makes anything I find in thrifts overpriced (too sleep deprived to get up early on a weekend). Ignorance is bliss, right?

Then again I like mainly shopping thrifts because I can return something if it doesn't work / change my mind on it later.

Back on topic of the find, $25 for the Saturn lot is still pretty good, especially if they have two official controllers and 15 cases to go with it.

Though technically not a Thriftstore find, I found Final Fantasy VI for Gameboy Advance at K-Mart brand new and sealed for *drumroll*

$1.  $1.06 after tax. 

I could hardly contain my excitement when I heard the price.  Apparently the store had just done inventory, the reason no one else had picked the game up was because of the $29.99 sticker on it.  I will post pictures as soon as I can, I'm away right now.

Find of the year for me!

Not much of a find, but a couple of moderately hard to find titles (Gods, Ignition Factor, Soldiers of Fortune) for 10 bucks. Store had a big blowout on video games, but these were the only titles I bothered to take home. Must be getting old.

15015168215_2edf9a96e6_m.jpg

Picked up a few games, $10 each for the gamecube games and $5 for digimon. It was 50% off so $17.50 for all 4. Gamecubes games all mint and complete :drool:, digimon in fair condition but complete.

Vof1LHet.jpg

Picked up a few games, $10 each for the gamecube games and $5 for digimon. It was 50% off so $17.50 for all 4. Gamecubes games all mint and complete :drool:, digimon in fair condition but complete.
Very nice finds! Kinda jealous about Starfox, I started that game once upon a time and didn't complete it since it was a rental I think...

Had an interesting encounter at Goodwill today. I ran into the guy who buys up their games and we recognized each other from the flea markets. Seems like a nice enough guy and I think he's selling stuff for below market value (he mentioned $5 and $10 Pokemon games), so I gave him my info and hopefully I might get to peruse his stuff before he takes it to market.

That sounds good considering the steering wheel and pedals.

I've been having lull trips so far, but last weekend was decent for me.  Most of the games were $1.50 each (only exceptions were Dark Cloud for $3 and Wii Sports for $4), Electronic Catch Phrase (2013 edition) was $2.50, old school Catch Phrase (sealed) was $4, the two Genesis controllers were $5 each (more than I'd normally spend, but they were in excellent shape).

Best thing I found value wise was the TI-83 calculator, that actually lasted more than a day at $6, normally I never find them, also the screen is really nice.

The 360 game was GTA IV (which I already traded into BBY), and I only really bought the lesser games like Robots and Shamu since they were in excellent shape, and I can always use the cases.

med_gallery_350075_7875_284458.jpg

So I see this behind the jewelry counter, bundled for $25:

med_gallery_350075_7875_5488.jpg

I thought to myself, meh, no GBA player, no component cable, no memory card, figured that someone would get a good deal come the next half off Saturday and left it.

After going through the store and not finding anything else, I came back to it, thinking I should at least check the bottom for a broadband adaptor.  So I called over the lady and after checking it out, found this surprise:

sml_gallery_350075_7875_26615.jpg

I didn't realize how pricey even disc only copies are going for nowadays, glad I decided to check it out further.

LOS ANGELES/ORANGE COUNTY THRIFT CAGERS!!!

Some stuffs I found at GoodWill but did not buy. It's located in the City of Carson on Avalon Blvd. I was there 15 mins before 9pm today.

25+ Hyperdimension V Neptunia Limited/Collector's Edition Tin Lunch Boxes for $2 each.

Sega Master Games (All complete except 1. Sorry forgot which one) for $6 each.  I would buy but no Sega Master System to test them out :(

Zillion
Zaxxon 3_D
Miracle Warriors Seal of the Dark Lord
Lord of the Sword
ALien Syndrome
Altered Beast
Rambo III
Maze Hunter 3-D
After Burner

pP6vBAD.jpg
jNQ9qBZ.jpg
3zi9Wsd.jpg

My local thift store has one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-GAMEBOY-HARD-CASE-TETRIS-TETRIS-2-BUNDLE-amp-TWO-SETS-OF-HEADPHONE-/251576649874?pt=Video_Games&hash=item3a93230892&nma=true&si=4TiJ3edU8d%252FnMp1CsYv4qUbAOPI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The pawn shop has that same exact long hard (insert beavis+ butthead joke here) plastic carrying case, an original gameboy, tetris, and cables for something. They were asking for $29.99. Do you guys think I should pick it up? I already own an original gameboy and tetris, but that case looks pretty cool. Do you guys think is worth owning?

Finally had the time to visit the nearby goodwill where I live and I found quite a lot of stuff, but nothing for keeps, they had a lot of throwaway xbox 360 games

Only thing I bought was Lord of The Rings The Battle for Middle Earth for $2.12. Complete in jewel case and it looks pretty cool.

I just won that JBL Creature III speaker set from Facebook and during my spur of the moment trip to the local GW I found this for $10. I think its the first Creature set, dont see any "II" or "III" anywhere. Cleaned up really nice, had to order an AC adapter off Ebay. Speakers at least work, plugged them into my iPod. 

Just picked up a Gamecube for 25$ at goodwill, same story as the other guy, opened it up and was pleasantly suprised to see smash bros inside, this is the first copy I've found in the wild.

Mine didn't come with a controller but I figure it'll trade in for at least 12$ so it ain't bad.

Edit:

Went to another one afterwards and got Masai Kingdom on ps2 for 3 and a sealed ps3 move nunchuck for 10

Got a COMPLETE copy of Final Fantasy (NES) for $5 !!!!!!!

Total of around $50 spent got the following

Most of the NES games came with a slip cover and manual!

Final Fantasy (NES)

Battle for Olympus (NES)

Metroid (NES)  [yellow label]

Wall Street Kid (NES)

Death Bots  (NES)

Silent Service (NES)

Street Fighter II Special Champion Edition (GEN)

Soul Calibur II (GCN)

Metroid Prime (GCN)

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (GCN)

:whee:    Nearly my best find to date   :whee:

LOS ANGELES/ORANGE COUNTY THRIFT CAGERS!!!

Some stuffs I found at GoodWill but did not buy. It's located in the City of Carson on Avalon Blvd. I was there 15 mins before 9pm today.

25+ Hyperdimension V Neptunia Limited/Collector's Edition Tin Lunch Boxes for $2 each.

Sega Master Games (All complete except 1. Sorry forgot which one) for $6 each. I would buy but no Sega Master System to test them out :(

Zillion
Zaxxon 3_D
Miracle Warriors Seal of the Dark Lord
Lord of the Sword
ALien Syndrome
Altered Beast
Rambo III
Maze Hunter 3-D
After Burner

pP6vBAD.jpg
jNQ9qBZ.jpg
3zi9Wsd.jpg
How much were the games. If they are reasonable I can pay you to get them for me. Of course with a finders fee

Found an opened copy of Mario Kart 8 for $15 at Goodwill today. Was rather surprised as it was prominently displayed and no one had grabbed it yet.

Found an opened copy of Mario Kart 8 for $15 at Goodwill today. Was rather surprised as it was prominently displayed and no one had grabbed it yet.
Couple of weeks ago I found Mario kart 8 and pikmin 3 for $15 each at my local goodwill also. Kinda chalked it up to a bad kid having his stuff donated but who knows.

Got a COMPLETE copy of Final Fantasy (NES) for $5 !!!!!!!

Total of around $50 spent got the following

Most of the NES games came with a slip cover and manual!

Final Fantasy (NES)

Battle for Olympus (NES)

Metroid (NES) [yellow label]

Wall Street Kid (NES)

Death Bots (NES)

Silent Service (NES)

Street Fighter II Special Champion Edition (GEN)

Soul Calibur II (GCN)

Metroid Prime (GCN)

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (GCN)

:whee: Nearly my best find to date :whee:
Path of Radiance is worth that alone to me, good scores all around.

After about 4 years since my last major game find at Goodwill (For 99% of my visits it was nothing but sports titles & guitar hero), I finally found something amazing:

sb_zpsbd18edb4.jpg

I don't know how they come up with their prices, but $51.19 was fine for me.  Estarland had the box for $32 shipped so I just purchased that.  $88 after tax for a complete Steel Battalion seems pretty damn good.

I don't know how they come up with their prices, but $51.19 was fine for me. Estarland had the box for $32 shipped so I just purchased that. $88 after tax for a complete Steel Battalion seems pretty damn good.
Did the box come with the controller manual? You'll def need that if you try to play the game (there is no tutorial).

I found a CIB one at a garage sale a few years ago...all except the large paper manual fuck!

EDIT: I am kind of a jerk, but I love this post. lol

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/249947-official-2011-yard-sale-thread/?p=8481411
I got one from someone on craigslist a few years back for $30, CIB. I ended up throwing it up on Amazon when I needed money. Part of me wanted to keep it, but that thing takes up so much damn room.

I really wish I could find the Ace Combat stick again. I had one and regrettably sold it some time back; I loved that thing.

I ended up paying $100 on Craigslist for mine, and it was 100% complete down to the registration card and envelope. I played it for a few hours, got my fix, and decided I should probably sell it. It's really cool, but I had no comfortable way to play it. In any case, the boot sequence for the VT is something every gamer should experience once - flicking all those pointless switches feels so good and I don't know why.

Little thrift store- nothing

1st GW- nothing, I havent seen anything from them on ShopGoodwill in the past month so Ive stopped by a little bit more. They still never really have anything good anymore. 

2nd GW- tons of clearanced Target games/toys. Had some Wii shovelware and sealed Mass Effect 3 for Wii U. Passed on a Playstation composite cable, dirty 3rd party PS2 controllers, and a really disappointing stack of SNES/N64/Genesis/Gameboy games. Just the way it was all sitting in the glasscase made it seem like the good stuff had been picked through already. Got this for $4, its sealed. 

Found this today.

$9.99 each. I bought one to save, thought about clearing them out but it would be more of a long term investment for me and that's tying up too much money.

Found this today.

$9.99 each. I bought one to save, thought about clearing them out but it would be more of a long term investment for me and that's tying up too much money.
Yeah it would be too long of an investment, usually mid lifecycle console games have plenty of copies made that it takes some time to be worth much of anything. There are still plenty of KEYs out there, especially when compared to KrtD.

Found a loose copy of Pokémon Fire Red at a thrift store hidden below a pile of random debris.  Ended up getting it for $2, making it the best find I've had in a long while at that store.

[quote name="silencedcricket" post="12063139" timestamp="1409788991"]Found a loose copy of Pokémon Fire Red at a thrift store hidden below a pile of random debris. Ended up getting it for $2, making it the best find I've had in a long while at that store.[/quote]
Is it real?

Dont think I posted a picture of this. Grabbed it a few weeks ago for $12.99, I usually buy stuff like this purely for flipping and sure enough sold it on ebay for $150 after sourcing a remote for $12 online.

1ygfnpD.jpg

My motto on old electronics is if it looks weird grab it. I honestly didn't realize they made DVD/HDD recorders and was intrigued and sure enough they still bring good money.

Dont think I posted a picture of this. Grabbed it a few weeks ago for $12.99, I usually buy stuff like this purely for flipping and sure enough sold it on ebay for $150 after sourcing a remote for $12 online.

My motto on old electronics is if it looks weird grab it. I honestly didn't realize they made DVD/HDD recorders and was intrigued and sure enough they still bring good money.
Damn what makes it so expensive??

Some of you might remember the Saturn lot I got bit ago that included Sega Ages.  I returned to this store when the rest hit 50% off and they were still there.  This thrift is in a rural community and doesn't get much gamer traffic obviously.  My Saturn collection is growing.  I think the total is 27 games this year.  If you want to see all of the Saturn games I've picked up along with the system check out my CAG picture gallery.

med_gallery_354731_8396_225325.jpg

Returned a week later and picked up the last game that was marked with a different color tag.  Make that 28 games this year.

med_gallery_354731_8396_1008759.jpg

Found this the same day for 50% off also.  Can never have too many connections when you are buying old systems from thrift and yard sales. 

med_gallery_354731_8396_900208.jpg

Here are some non gaming finds.

Glasses and electric insulator.

med_gallery_354731_8396_836282.jpg

SRV and mini Coke glass

med_gallery_354731_8396_493811.jpg

[quote name="Ironman8" post="12066878" timestamp="1409895696"]Here are some non gaming finds.

Glasses and electric conductor.

med_gallery_354731_8396_836282.jpg

SRV and mini Coke glass

med_gallery_354731_8396_493811.jpg
[/quote]

I don't want to be pedantic, but that is a insulator. It was probably used for telegraphs wires.

bread's done
Back