2014 Thrift Store Thread - Post your finds here!

Its actually funny because as soon as the electronics dude wheeled out the cart he basically said "bro this cart is for you, this whithe le shelf is video games and alot of it boxed". That dude became my new best friend for the day :)

Also funny in this lot, not sure if its the same copy, but I picked up that hogans alley for 1.99, not 69.99 like that copy behind the glass a few weeks back, which isnt there anymore

CIMG1963.jpg

Savers Part Deux:

So decided to head over to the Savers that I found all that stuff at yesterday. As I walked in and went to the electronics section, the dude was just finishing putting away stuff and saw me and said "Oh did you get all of that Nintendo stuff?" I was like uh... He then tells me he brought out a stack of NES titles, including, Zelda gold cart, and bunch of Mario titles and and some others. After going damn, I did walk over to the game section and saw these st...ill sitting there unbelievably. So here is what I got for just over 40 bucks(5 went to a board game purchase).

Mario Paint SNES
Bubsy SNES
Pilotwings SNES
Yoshi's Island SNES
Donkey Kong Country SNES
Super Mario All-Stars/Super Mario duel cart SNES
SNES controller

Not the greatest condition games but a decent lot to add to the collection.

haha what savers do you go to robwhois 0_o so much good stuff

well don't name the exact one :p

I go to one outside Boston and its always picked clean

Damn, I think that settles it. I'm gonna have to hit the two other Savers within my area even though they are about an hour and twenty mins out of the way. Sure it's $30-40 in gas but that's a small price to pay for the thrill of the hunt, right?

haha what savers do you go to robwhois 0_o so much good stuff

well don't name the exact one :p

I go to one outside Boston and its always picked clean
I live in New York so their are a few. One is like 5 minutes from my house, one is like 10 minutes from my job and the other is about 20 minutes away in another direction. So if I really want to go crazy I can hit up all 3 in one day, but thats not very often. One thing that really helps is I got in good with one of the workers that puts out the electronics in one of the stores, and I know around what time the guy puts out the stuff. So he usually lets me know if anything good is coming out, as we just talk about video game stuff, definitely a cool dude.

Last edited by a moderator:
CIMG1964.jpg

So figured I'd try the whole 3 times a charm at one of my local Savers. Did ok, here's the video game stuff.

Skylanders Spyro's Adventure and Giants for the wii 4.99 each
Konami Lethal Enforcers Pink Gun 4.99

Apparently the pink gun is for the 2nd player to play the game, and worth a decent amount. Now the Skylanders games I know nothing about, only know that Spyro is somehow involved and they have alot of figures in stores. Also found a few He-man figures from the 80's. I saw someone grab some turtle figures from back in the day yesterday. Some 80's and 90's kids must have unloaded their closets/basements recently in my area. Hope you guys enjoy the finds  :)

So figured I'd try the whole 3 times a charm at one of my local Savers. Did ok, here's the video game stuff.

Skylanders Spyro's Adventure and Giants for the wii 4.99 each
Konami Lethal Enforcers Pink Gun 4.99

Apparently the pink gun is for the 2nd player to play the game, and worth a decent amount. Now the Skylanders games I know nothing about, only know that Spyro is somehow involved and they have alot of figures in stores. Also found a few He-man figures from the 80's. I saw someone grab some turtle figures from back in the day yesterday. Some 80's and 90's kids must have unloaded their closets/basements recently in my area. Hope you guys enjoy the finds :)
I remember getting the big box Genesis version of Lethal Enforcers for Christmas, I loved playing that game (though odd to think back getting that as a 10 year old...).

The Skylanders games are definitely worth what you paid, especially since you couldn't get Spyro's Adventure without buying the bundle.

I remember getting the big box Genesis version of Lethal Enforcers for Christmas, I loved playing that game (though odd to think back getting that as a 10 year old...).

The Skylanders games are definitely worth what you paid, especially since you couldn't get Spyro's Adventure without buying the bundle.
Yeah i actually missed out on the snes boxed version the other day when i got that big lot of nintendo stuff, but i guess i can't really complain when i get all that other cool stuff

I have been on quite the gaming drought lately, but on the wares front, it's been kickin'.

Today I found a few sealed Melissa and Doug puzzles/crafts for $1.  Perfect timing and will go in the kids' Easter Baskets.

And for me, I picked up a Sony CDP-CX355 300-disc changer for $9.99 (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-CDPCX355-MegaStorage-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00006I5SQ).  This is a nice step-up from my Sony CDP-CX210, in capacity, Artist/Track ID, and optical out.  Not exactly cutting edge, but works for me.

Just found a Suikoden 2 guide book at goodwill for $1. Thought it'd be fun to flip through since i doubt I'll ever find the game, but wow, it's worth a decent amount more than I thought. Also found Zoids: Battle Legends complete for gamecube a few days ago for $5 at HPB.

Stopped at goodwill to grab a new keyboard and found these

zi2SLeK.jpg

White one was 7$,came with an official rechargeable pack, and is very clean, I haven't cleaned it at all. (no chatpad, already had that.)

Black one cost me 4$. it came in this shell that someone did a horrible job painting and didn't re-assemble right. I had a complete shell and buttons laying around already.

amrKuPh.jpg

Didn't really need 2 controllers, only one, but wasn't going to pass up on the one with a pack for 7$, I did leave another white one with the AA pack in it there, also 7$.

I picked up Nickelodeon GUTS and Tetris 2 for SNES. $5 for the pair. GUTS seems terrible and I don't get Tetris 2's new mechanics. Would be interested in trading if anyone wants. 

Went to savers and found some decent stuff:

Sega saturn model 1 with AC adapter $7

Sega Saturn Gun $2

Sega Saturn Controller (model 1) x 2 for 2 bucks each

Saturn Xmen children of the atom $3 complete

xbox 360 hdd (20gb) + Component Cable + Wireless Adapter $17 (note there is no console with this bundle)

PSP Magna Carta Portable $3 (its japanese but its an RPG that wasnt released here so had to get it...)

Then a trip to Goodwill yielded:

360 Lord of the Rings Conquest 7.99 (wow this game has a decent value to it)

PSX Namco Museum Volume 2 3.99 (I had never seen volume 2 before so I picked it up thinking it had some value to it; I was right sells for ~30 on ebay).

Its a rarity to see saturn stuff and so cheap, I just had to get it. I was sure there was more Saturn stuff at the savers because the gun had to go to some game. They never put them out that day though and I never did go back...wonder what I missed...(probably panzer dragoon saga etc lol)

PSX Namco Museum Volume 2 3.99 (I had never seen volume 2 before so I picked it up thinking it had some value to it; I was right sells for ~30 on ebay).
I remember the five volumes they had on the PSX (not including the JPN only Encore version), that spelled out N-A-M-C-O on the covers if you had all five.

I didn't know they were valuable (besides the most common Vol. 1), surprised me to see the values on Vol. 4 and 5.

Went to savers and found some decent stuff:

Sega saturn model 1 with AC adapter $7

Sega Saturn Gun $2

Sega Saturn Controller (model 1) x 2 for 2 bucks each

Saturn Xmen children of the atom $3 complete

xbox 360 hdd (20gb) + Component Cable + Wireless Adapter $17 (note there is no console with this bundle)

PSP Magna Carta Portable $3 (its japanese but its an RPG that wasnt released here so had to get it...)

Then a trip to Goodwill yielded:

360 Lord of the Rings Conquest 7.99 (wow this game has a decent value to it)

Its a rarity to see saturn stuff and so cheap, I just had to get it. I was sure there was more Saturn stuff at the savers because the gun had to go to some game. They never put them out that day though and I never did go back...wonder what I missed...(probably panzer dragoon saga etc lol)
Nice get on the Children of the Atom. Love that game. Might even load it up on MAME tonight.

March was a shitty month as far as thrifts go. Only thing I picked up was the SNES multitap I think. The one GW still has the NES in the glasscase with the same $50 tag, hmmm I wonder why its not selling! Today I saw that they put a $25 original Xbox by it. Passed on a $15 Dreamcast yesterday, some kid picked it up right after I put it down. Maybe itll pick up soon since its almost yardsale season, people dropping off their leftovers and all. 

I swear, I hardly can ever find anything gaming related.

ZhuZhu Pet Hamster thing new - .99

Double Disk Puzzle Game new - $4

Blackout Buddy new - $6

And an old HomeCenter portable flashlight & lantern from 1985, new and sealed. - $2

Fairly mediocre day... but did find a few nice things.

Hit a bunch of stores today. First store had nothing. Then I hit a pawn shop next door though which had a copy of Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks for $2.99. I've been wanting that for awhile so I grabbed it. It was complete.

They also had a Sega Genesis/Sega CD with 17 games for $69.99. Some actually decent games too. Both Toejam and Earl games, Eye of the Beholder on Sega CD, Kid Chameleon, Castle of Illusion. I tried to get them to let me buy 5 of the games individually, but they wouldn't bite. It was a good deal and I don't need the system so I passed. I could have made some money flipping the system and duplicate games but didn't want to deal with it... they just put it out today and wouldn't go down on price either. May swing back next week if it is still there and see if they'll bargain a bit at that point. Will probably be gone though.  All of the games had their cases, inluding the cart games, though not one (including Sega CD ones) had the manual.

My next stop was a Goodwill where I found a copy of Un Jammer Lammy for $00.99. No manual on this either but for the price I was happy.

My next stop was a Savers. They had an Xbox in the case for $39.99. The original. They also had a PS2 for $4.99 in the back, lol. I grabbed the PS2, $5.00 is my new buy limit on those considering the price to ship them and how much the value has dropped. I passed on one for $9.99 last week I would have grabbed in a second 6 months ago. But $4.99 seemed solid, I can make money at that price.

Then stopped in a game store actually where I did find a cart only Phantasy Star II for Genesis for $7.99. Very solid price, I was happy with that.

Hit a last pawn shop across the road which used to have good prices but has jacked them up recently and it was the same as last time I was in. Marvel War of the Gems for SNES for $24.99. Donkey Kong 3 for NES for $12.99. I did however catch them slipping on a complete, very nice shape copy of Klonoa (Wii) for $7.99. I have the PS1 version but for the price I was happy to get the remake as well, great game.

Then I hit a Goodwill where I found the Avenue Q soundtrack for $00.99. Really glad to grab that. That was it so in total I got:

Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks (PS2): $2.99

Un Jammer Lammy (PS1): $00.99

PS2 Console: $4.99

Phantasy Star II (Gen): $7.99

Klonoa (Wii): $7.99

Avenue Q Soundtrack (CD): $00.99

Not terrible. Not great, the only thing to flip is the system, but not awful either.

Where do you guys do your reselling? I've been having good luck with amazon marketplace even though they take a pretty big chunk. It's easy and stuff generally sells fast due to the volume of traffic. The only thing that sucks is after 100 transactions or so they make you give up your SS info for tax purposes. I've been looking for other places like amazon to sell, maybe overstock or glyde or something but haven't used them.  

Where do you guys do your reselling? I've been having good luck with amazon marketplace even though they take a pretty big chunk. It's easy and stuff generally sells fast due to the volume of traffic. The only thing that sucks is after 100 transactions or so they make you give up your SS info for tax purposes. I've been looking for other places like amazon to sell, maybe overstock or glyde or something but haven't used them.
Legally, you're supposed to claim any income. But yeah, I think it's 100 sales or $20,000 they have to report your numbers to the taxman. Just about anywhere is eventually going to collect your personal information. It's not Amazon's policy, it's new law that's getting passed that requires the venues to report.

Checked a local thrift store and the recently-opened Goodwill today. Local store only had a handful of overpriced shovelware Genesis and Game Gear games, Final Fantasy XI 360, and some PS3 sports games, plus some 75c NES carts I already had boxed/complete copies of; passed on all of them.

Goodwill was a bit better. Brand-new Vita carrying pouches and armor for $5.99 and a Wii Les Paul controller (with some stickers and scratches, but it seems to work like new) for $1.99 more than made up for them pricing half a dozen copies of Ninja Gaiden 3 Wii U at $29.99 each.

CIMG1970.jpg

So did alittle Savers and alittle Goodwill shopping today, and here's the haul:

Savers:
Spy vs Spy Xbox 1.99
Mariokart DS 2.99...
ICarly .99
Littlest Pet Shop Friends .99

Goodwill:
Mariokart Wii 19.99
GTA 2 Dreamcast(only Case) free
Mortal Kombat Gold Dreamcast 1.99
Rippin Riders Dreamcast 1.99
Ready to Rumble Dreamcast 1.99
Tony Hawks Pro Skater Dreamcast 1.99
Powerstone Dreamcast 1.99

Now the Goodwill deal was 34 after tax, but had a 10 credit, so came out to 24 bucks. Definitely pays to check the music cd racks at goodwill. Check them everytime I'm there, and noticed some new cd's so checked some more and next to the burned dreamcast stuff they are trying to sell for 4.99 each, I found these for 1.99 each

talk to my relative over the weekend who work at goodwill as a donation sorter. he finds all kinds of cool games stuff and keeps them. i.e. ps1,2,3, games, etc. even loui vuitton purses that sells for thousands.

talk to my relative over the weekend who work at goodwill as a donation sorter. he finds all kinds of cool games stuff and keeps them. i.e. ps1,2,3, games, etc. even loui vuitton purses that sells for thousands.
wow, he better hope he doesn't get caught. GW employees aren't even allowed to shop on the days they work, let alone stash things for themselves. They'd fire his ass in heartbeat if they knew what was going on.

$5.99 each at Goodwill. Surprisingly all of them came in perfect mint condition. Scratch-free discs and 100% complete.
Very nice, been awhile since I've seen some good 1st party Gamecube games, seems like most people are wising up to their value around here.

Goodwill:
Mariokart Wii 19.99
GTA 2 Dreamcast(only Case) free
Mortal Kombat Gold Dreamcast 1.99
Rippin Riders Dreamcast 1.99
Ready to Rumble Dreamcast 1.99
Tony Hawks Pro Skater Dreamcast 1.99
Powerstone Dreamcast 1.99
Forgot to multiquote, Power Stone alone made that trip worth it, and while that was a pretty high price for MK Wii, I wouldn't be surprised if the value went up significantly when MK8 drops soon (despite the end of Wii Wifi).

Very nice, been awhile since I've seen some good 1st party Gamecube games, seems like most people are wising up to their value around here.

Forgot to multiquote, Power Stone alone made that trip worth it, and while that was a pretty high price for MK Wii, I wouldn't be surprised if the value went up significantly when MK8 drops soon (despite the end of Wii Wifi).
Oh it was definitely too high a price for MK Wii, but I figure as a group with the dreamcast games, paying 24 bucks(after 10 credit) was a pretty good deal altogether

CIMG1971.jpg

Savers 4/2/14 Pickups:

Xbox Wireless Logitech Controller 4.99
Retro Pacman Plug and Plaa 4.99
Sega GameGear System 9.99

Haven't tested anything yet, and with the way GameGears sound goes, alittle worried about that buy, but gave it a shot for 10 bucks

I think my GameGear put about 1/2 ton worth of AA batteries in the landfill back in the day.  That thing burned trough them in a few hours.

I think my GameGear put about 1/2 ton worth of AA batteries in the landfill back in the day. That thing burned trough them in a few hours.
I have two extended life battery packs that go on the sides of the game gear. I haven't tried them out yet, but the thing weighs about 8 pounds with them on.

I can't remember the last time I got a deal from a thrift store like this.  Maybe that one time, I got a JVC X'Eye for like $5 missing all its cords, besides the controller with a jammed button or two.

I got all these for $2.99 and complete with case art / manual:
Mario Kart DS
Brain Age: Train your Brain in Minutes a Day
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
New Super Mario Bros.
Mario & Sonic: Olympic Winter Games

My most recent one was...

Mario Kart Wii Wheel - 10 cents.

Went to a pay by-the-pound GoodWill store. It was 89 cents a pound for toys and saw the Mario Kart Wii Wheel in the mix. So, in the end it was about 10 cents.

Stopped at a local thrift I hadn't been to in a long time, found a few decent things:

Deer Avenger 3D PC $1

Air Superiority Collection PC $1

Brain Age 2 complete $2

Sudoku Gridmaster DS complete $2

Both DS games had unused Club Nintendo codes, but Brain Age 2 was the only one eligible for coins.

A couple things I picked up today
Malice xbox $3
Tony hawk soundtrack for American Wasteland $2
Star Wars VHS original release, looks new $.50

I haven't been having too much luck finding anything good lately but I did get a few things today.

Lion King---Genesis-----$1  (box, no instructions)

Pac Man 2-Genesis-----$1  (loose)

PS2 Multitap--------------$4   (off brand)

PS2 EyeToy w/Play-----$6   (box and instructions for game, no box for camera)

Eh, nothing special but the best I've done in awhile.

Thought I hit the jackpot earlier when I found a complete copy of Pokemon X at Goodwill for 15$, but I popped opened the case and someone had stolen the cart.

I hate people who steal.

At this one goodwill that I go to, any DS games are almost always missing the cart(probably people mad over how over priced they are there).

I went to a goodwill that I rarely go to, and there was a wii(with box) in the case, after having the guy open the case up so I could see the price. It was $129.99, and the guy thought that was a great deal since it is a somewhat new system. Some idiots just don't know how to price cheap enough to move product and still have people coming back for more.

At this one goodwill that I go to, any DS games are almost always missing the cart(probably people mad over how over priced they are there).

I went to a goodwill that I rarely go to, and there was a wii(with box) in the case, after having the guy open the case up so I could see the price. It was $129.99, and the guy thought that was a great deal since it is a somewhat new system. Some idiots just don't know how to price cheap enough to move product and still have people coming back for more.
I had the same thing with DS games. I went to a by-the-pound good will . Games/toys are 89 cents a pound. Found a few DS game boxes there opened them up, empty. Someone got a steal on those game buying just the cartridges. At 89 cents a pound, they may have spent 10 cents on two games. Maybe.

Just found a Suikoden 2 guide book at goodwill for $1. Thought it'd be fun to flip through since i doubt I'll ever find the game, but wow, it's worth a decent amount more than I thought. Also found Zoids: Battle Legends complete for gamecube a few days ago for $5 at HPB.
Very jelly on the Zoids find. I sold mine when I was younger, and I regret it. :/ I would love to have it again. Just so I can play as Super Gojira.

I honestly probably wouldve laughed right in that guys face and said "thats a shitty price! you can get a new one for $100". Sometimes they keep DS games behind the counter and put the cases by the DVDs, just an FYI on that.

After 3 weeks in the glass case that $50 NES was gone, either theyve sent it away (DOUBT IT), someone was dumb enough to pay that much(POSSIBLE BUT UNLIKELY), or an employee got it (MOST LIKELY). Saw an Atari 2600 today for $5........it was smashed and it was missing screws so the front was lifted up!

Not much today. I did pick up a brand new Otterbox for the iPhone 4 & 4s for $4.94.

I found a few things today, pictures probably tomorrow, but  definitely a frustrating day after finding a decent collection of ps1 and ps2 games, to only find that the bottom of most of the games have been put into a grinder or something. Pisses me off so much when people don't take care of their games...

to only find that the bottom of most of the games have been put into a grinder or something. Pisses me off so much when people don't take care of their games...
This is why I don't lend out my games or let my hubbys nieces play them

I have found that my generation and newer for the most part do not know how to take care of things. They just figure if it breaks mommy and daddy buy them a new one :/

This is why I don't lend out my games or let my hubbys nieces play them

I have found that my generation and newer for the most part do not know how to take care of things. They just figure if it breaks mommy and daddy buy them a new one :/
I've actually had that problem with my daughter originally, she ended up breaking a pair of headphones and losing and ipod, and then saying "oh well daddy will buy me a new one", as soon as I heard that I was like no way. She's alot more respectful of her things now...

bread's done
Back