2014 Thrift Store Thread - Post your finds here!

Not exactly a thrift store pickup but I stopped by a local laptop repair shop that buys and sells games. Picked up thunder force 2, cyborg justice and super tennis for $15. Clerk wanted 20 but I talked him down since I'll most likely go back since the prices were pretty decent.

yU5BctUl.jpg

Not much of a find but did find Leisure Suit Larry 5: Passionate Patti Does A Little Undercover Work for $2

Took a shot in the dark at Goodwill today and bought two large bags of what I thought were PVC Pokemon toys. Turns out they are the nicer Hasbro action figures, and I got a ton of them. Anyone know what these might be worth? I paid $8 for the whole lot.

1604698_10100380484248799_1464744844_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Took a shot in the dark at Goodwill today and bought two large bags of what I thought were PVC Pokemon toys. Turns out they are the nicer Hasbro action figures, and I got a ton of them. Anyone know what these might be worth? I paid $8 for the whole lot.

1604698_10100380484248799_1464744844_n.jpg
Cool! Definitely worth $8! Pokemon stuff always seems to have pretty good value. I always pick up stuffed animals of Pokemon, considering I had some great luck selling those. My sister loves Pokemon to death though, so anything I find usually goes to her. She recently sold off a bunch of doubles that she had of the smaller Tomy Pokemon toys - made some decent cash. I don't know exact value or anything, but you got a truly great deal, I promise you that.

At our local Flea Market I picked up the following:

• Super Mario Land (GB) - $6
  • Ravings Rabbids: Travel in Time (Wii) - $5
Both work great.

CIMG1980.jpg

Found sometime last week at Savers, the day I was complaining about a whole bunch of games being scratched.

Brave Fencer Musashi PS1 6.99
Dark Cloud 2 PS2 4.99
Super Mario Bros. Wii 4.99

Musashi is missing the manual, all other games are complete but scratched. Super Mario Bros. Wii was taped shut, and if i saw what the cd looked like, I probably would have passed on it. None have been tested yet...

CIMG1978.jpg

Didn't know where to post this, don't think their is an auction haul place on the site, so here it is:

Got this lot for 2 bucks at an auction. Auction listed it as a pc game lot, but i cleary saw ps1 labeled cases, then on furthur inspection, saw a bunch of 3DO games. Don't think anyone else at the auction knew what they were. 3DO game cd's are flawless, PS1 games in pretty good shape as well:

Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone PS1
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 (no manual) PS1...
Planet of the Apes PS1
Goofy's Fun House PS1
Out of this World (only game) 3DO
Escape from Monster Manor(generic case) 3DO
3DO Game Guru(only game) 3DO
Slam Jam 95(only game) 3DO
Shanghai: Triple Threat(only game) 3DO
Stellar 7 Draxon's Revenge(only game) 3DO
Guardian War(only game) 3DO
Way of Warrior(generic case) 3DO
Bust A Move (generic case) 3DO
Crash N Burn (generic case) 3DO
Theme Park in Japanese 3DO

The generic case games have their instructions and game.

on the way back from picking a Gamecube bundle in an area I dont usually visit, I decided to stop at a small used movies/CD's/game store as I've found some good stuff there before.  To my surprise I found complete copies of Mario Kart Double Dash for $25 and Super Mario All Stars Limited Edition Wii for $40.  Bought both because its so rare to see them in the wild out here and I think they will hold value for sometime.

Had some nice finds over the last few weeks:

-Stopped at goodwill and saw they had a bunch of new ps2 games in, decent stuff like Sly Cooper and Ratchet & Clank, but nothing I didn't already own. Just about to leave when I spotted Rouge Galaxy, got it complete for $2. Been playing it recently and it's fantastic.

-Found a white wireless ps3 controller at stuff etc for $5. Got home and it looked a bit weird, looked it up online and its a fake controller but works fine so I'm still pretty happy with it.
-Found it's always sunny seasons 1&2 for $1 at goodwill, the first disc was missing which is probably why it was so cheap, but a buck for season 2 is still pretty good.
-Stopped at goodwill yesterday and found Super Mario Advance for $3, so now I have all four. Checked out the cds before I grabbed it and found Breath of Fire 3 for ps1 complete for $1, and a gamestop brand gamecube controller for $1. I usually pass on off brand controllers, but it was cheap and I needed one more for four player SSBM.

Today was an amazing day at three goodwills

Goodwill 1:

SNES - $3.99 each:

Donkey Kong Country, Star Fox, Super Smash TV, Contra III, Super Mario Kart, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, King of Dragons, Romance of The Three Kingdoms II, Secret of Mana

Gameboy - $2.99

Donkey Kong '94, Kirby's Dream Land 2,

Goodwill 2:

NDS - $3.00

Kirby's Canvas Curse

Goodwill 3:

N64 - $3.00

Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Mario Tennis, Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire

This is a one in million sort of haul for me so I'm happy as hell

So my mom says the other day "next time you go to Goodwill look at the big white cabinet....youll know it when you see it" So I go today.....ohhh thats pretty cool!......

Wonder how much........

GIVE A fuckIN BREAK! Who the hell is gonna spend $400+ on something that was dropped off at a Goodwill?! They are totally forgetting what kind of store they are! I either see nothing but crap, $30+ videogame systems that use to cost like $5-$20, $3 games turning into "what we saw on ebay", and crazy ass prices on everything except clothes. The only thing Ive seen lately that was a good deal is a Keurig for $50, its the same one I just bought for $100 "on sale" a few months ago! Hope yardsales are good this year because Im probably gonna just hit GW 2-3 times a week (I have been going at least every other day thinking Id find more if I went more....NOPE). Rant over! 

Today was an amazing day at three goodwills

Goodwill 1:

SNES - $3.99 each:

Donkey Kong Country, Star Fox, Super Smash TV, Contra III, Super Mario Kart, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, King of Dragons, Romance of The Three Kingdoms II, Secret of Mana

Gameboy - $2.99

Donkey Kong '94, Kirby's Dream Land 2,

Goodwill 2:

NDS - $3.00

Kirby's Canvas Curse

Goodwill 3:

N64 - $3.00

Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Mario Tennis, Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire

This is a one in million sort of haul for me so I'm happy as hell
Nice haul, post some pics!

Edit: to the guy with the cabinet, I was really hoping that behind the door was something insane like a full Neo Geo library or something.

Here's an identical style cabinet that is more complete and looks to be in better shape. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Early-1900s-SELLERS-Kitchen-Hoosier-Cabinet-with-Flower-Bin-/321307340209?pt=Antiques_Furniture&hash=item4acf68edb1&nma=true&si=%252B%252Be4vSmFsKGTbgFZmTxHQkFJ47U%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

This one sold for $305. While these are valuable, Goodwill is pricing it at twice what it's worth.
Saw that one, trust me I had my Ebay app opened! The fact Im trying to get across is someone just dropped that off at the store! It was probably something they couldnt sell at a yardsale or Estate sale. GW didnt pay a penny for it. They dont pay for most of the stuff sitting on the shelves. I think the stores around here are scared of becoming one of those you hear about on the news when someone finds something worth a lot! "we need to look up every single item on Ebay now!!!!"

Picked up a couple things today. Found a PS2 with the hdd attachment for $14.99, that makes 4 phat ps2s now lol, I need to sell these things. I would have passed but I've been looking for that attachment.

Also grabbed a pink ds lite for 14.99, came in a case with metroid zero mission. Pretty happy with that.

Grabbed a few ps1 games (because I have a problem), but none of them are worth mentioning.

And yet, people still buy the heavily overpriced stuff. Like a $100+ Atari System. Or consoles w/o wires & controllers for $40-50. 

Picked up ZOE: 2nd runner and Medieval II for $2 each.

EDIT: Also picked up the bluray combo pack for Lone Ranger SEALED for $2

BTW keep your eyes on the yard sale thread...I had a SUPER find.

I've actually had that problem with my daughter originally, she ended up breaking a pair of headphones and losing and ipod, and then saying "oh well daddy will buy me a new one", as soon as I heard that I was like no way. She's alot more respectful of her things now...
that's how ya do that parenting thing! :applause:

last week I grabbed

N64 Console (all cords no controller) 5 bucks

NBA Jam CIB Genesis 3 bucks

Sonic Spinball CIB 3 bucks

the genesis games are like mint. I swear the NBA Jam cart has never been played as the chip is to clean/no damage and both manuals are bend free and clean!

I picked up 2 lego sets at my local goodwill today for about $6.50 after tax(50% off toys)

Harry Potter Hogwarts castle(complete in box)-$3.50

Star Wars Pirate Tank(in box, but missings mini figures)-$2.50

I was surprised that the harry potter one goes for about $80 on ebay.

did ok today (first time out in a while because of illness/life shit)

silent hill 2 disc only .50

Jurassic park warpath ps1- $2

Aladdin PS1-$2

Lion King PS1-$2

project eden 2.50

diablo 2 2 bucks

Full Metal Alchemist ipod sleeve sitcker pack- .50

2 DS lite systems- 4.99 each (sadly neither work, one does not charge the other charges but the power switch is busted)

anybody know how hard it would be to Frankenstein the 2 systems to make a working one? I have 7 days to return them, and might give it a shot. pm me or post or tweet or yell reaaallly loud.

also, while in line there were two customers in front of me. the couple in front of me (with their daughter) were very impatient about waiting, saying things like "this is taking to long" and "what is the hold up". the woman in front of them, about 25-ish, was asking about laptops that the GW sells refurbished. She had a faint- eastern European accent, and the cashier was not understanding what she was saying (not because of the accent, but because she was asking questions about the actually computer itself and the cashier admittedly stated she knows nothing about computers). Cashier calls the manager up front to help the customer, and the people in front of me move up. Manager is talking to the lady about the laptop and the guy in front of me says pretty loud "WELCOME TO AMERICA" and then gives me that look like "amirite" I proceeded to tell him that his parents/grandparents were immigrants to this country at one time and that yes, you should welcome this particular young lady to America in such a negative way because it is assholes like you whom make this country so great. (minus the profanity, I work with kids I don't swear in front of them).

The point of this rant is this- some people are straight up asshats, and to act that way not just in public, but in a ethnically racist way in front of your own damn kid in public is just sad. People like that make me sick, as if anglo-saxon English speaking people have lived here since the age of dinosaurs. I seriously can't stand that shit- you are in such a hurry because your life is the only important one in society and oh wait the person in front of me has an accent and she is in my way therefore she is a lesser human being than me because I am white and I am 'Murican so fuck her I rule. If that's how you act in public, what do you model for your daughter (whom you probably assume is not paying attention and is not impressionable to your actions). at home.

TLDR- I bought a bunch of crap, people are racist assholes in front of the own kids in public.

People fail to realize that everyone here sans the Native Americans are the real immigrants. Not just Mexicans, Asians, and Europeans. But also the 'Mericans as well. 

did ok today (first time out in a while because of illness/life shit)

silent hill 2 disc only .50

Jurassic park warpath ps1- $2

Aladdin PS1-$2

Lion King PS1-$2

project eden 2.50

diablo 2 2 bucks

Full Metal Alchemist ipod sleeve sitcker pack- .50

2 DS lite systems- 4.99 each (sadly neither work, one does not charge the other charges but the power switch is busted)

anybody know how hard it would be to Frankenstein the 2 systems to make a working one? I have 7 days to return them, and might give it a shot. pm me or post or tweet or yell reaaallly loud.

also, while in line there were two customers in front of me. the couple in front of me (with their daughter) were very impatient about waiting, saying things like "this is taking to long" and "what is the hold up". the woman in front of them, about 25-ish, was asking about laptops that the GW sells refurbished. She had a faint- eastern European accent, and the cashier was not understanding what she was saying (not because of the accent, but because she was asking questions about the actually computer itself and the cashier admittedly stated she knows nothing about computers). Cashier calls the manager up front to help the customer, and the people in front of me move up. Manager is talking to the lady about the laptop and the guy in front of me says pretty loud "WELCOME TO AMERICA" and then gives me that look like "amirite" I proceeded to tell him that his parents/grandparents were immigrants to this country at one time and that yes, you should welcome this particular young lady to America in such a negative way because it is assholes like you whom make this country so great. (minus the profanity, I work with kids I don't swear in front of them).

The point of this rant is this- some people are straight up asshats, and to act that way not just in public, but in a ethnically racist way in front of your own damn kid in public is just sad. People like that make me sick, as if anglo-saxon English speaking people have lived here since the age of dinosaurs. I seriously can't stand that shit- you are in such a hurry because your life is the only important one in society and oh wait the person in front of me has an accent and she is in my way therefore she is a lesser human being than me because I am white and I am 'Murican so fuck her I rule. If that's how you act in public, what do you model for your daughter (whom you probably assume is not paying attention and is not impressionable to your actions). at home.

TLDR- I bought a bunch of crap, people are racist assholes in front of the own kids in public.
Sadly, those people are everywhere. fuck 'em. Sadly, those kids are probably going to grow up to be another generation of white trash.

As for the DS Lite question, the one not charging can simply be a bad battery. My daughter's DSL stopped charging a few weeks back - the light wouldn't even turn on when plugged in. I had an extra battery lying around, so I swapped it out just to see and ¡voila! It fixed the problem.

So, just try taking the battery out of the one with the broken switch and put it in the other one.

I agree with what was said, but every group looks down on some group or another (whether it be religion, ethnicity, weight, age, sex, etc). It is human nature. Most people keep it to themselves though. When you think about how far the human race has come in the last 100-150 years, it puts things into perspective. We are still animals and there are atrocities happening everyday, but compared to a generation that is still alive, we have improved as a whole.

EDIT: I will say though. I believe Mike Judge is a prophet, because idiocracy is coming to fruition.

It's not too bad to open a DS lite. Getting it back together can be a pain in the ass.

But Sp00ge is right, check the battery first.

I bought one with the same issue on eBay, turns out it had a busted board, and I ended up destroying it anyways, but I got a few extra parts, except top screens if you need anything.

Stopped at a consignment shop that caters to guys tonight. Had some hope since there was 75 percent off sign out front.
Found a boxed original wii with a bowling bag for $145
A boxed Atari 2600 for $175
And a Hannah Montana ds game for $12
Doubt I'll be going out of my way to stop in again.

I finally have a find worth sharing, but I'm too lazy to post pics right now.

I walked into a local thrift and saw a GB case in the front display case. I get closer to take a look and notice a stack of games, then see a bankers box on a shelf labeled nintendo set with games. I immediately got in line and bought the following:

For $25:

Silver GBA SP

Silver GB Pocket

GB Pocket case

mario kart super circuit

donkey kong land

super mario land 2

super battletank

warioland 2

bart vs the juggernauts

metroid II

james bond 007

For $35:

28 XBOX magazine demo disks

Logitech Attack 3 flightstick

Yellowed SNES w/hookups

Non-yellowed SNES w/ hookups

stunt race fx

super return of the jedi

troddlers

Zelda LTTP

Super Mario World

DKC

DKC3

Killer Instinct

Secret of Mana

Lagoon w/ Manual

Boxed Soul Blazer

Boxed Shadowrun

Boxed Lufia II

28 XBOX magazine demo disks

Logitech Attack 3 flightstick

That IS a haul worth sharing!

I had the day off and it was absolutely beautiful outside so I hit up a rec center sale, a couple goodwills and a bunch of garage sales.

My haul:

nothing-012.png

Great way to start off the season!

That Wii wasn't a horrible price, if you really wanted one. About $37 bucks after taking 75% off.

The rest of that list is shit.
Yeah I might consider a $37 wii, but all the "good" stuff wasn't part of the sale. Nothing quite as nice as wanting more for used than you can buy new.

Sadly, those people are everywhere. fuck 'em. Sadly, those kids are probably going to grow up to be another generation of white trash.

As for the DS Lite question, the one not charging can simply be a bad battery. My daughter's DSL stopped charging a few weeks back - the light wouldn't even turn on when plugged in. I had an extra battery lying around, so I swapped it out just to see and ¡voila! It fixed the problem.

So, just try taking the battery out of the one with the broken switch and put it in the other one.
thanks for that tip, it worked! now I just have to figure out the power switch on the other one.

I agree with what was said, but every group looks down on some group or another (whether it be religion, ethnicity, weight, age, sex, etc). It is human nature. Most people keep it to themselves though. When you think about how far the human race has come in the last 100-150 years, it puts things into perspective. We are still animals and there are atrocities happening everyday, but compared to a generation that is still alive, we have improved as a whole.

EDIT: I will say though. I believe Mike Judge is a prophet, because idiocracy is coming to fruition.
Both you and Sp00ge are right on- fuck those people. Upon reflection, even 45 years ago people in the south had it much worse than what I saw. I am used to the subtitle "I am not a racist but..." comments from people, but a blatant display was just shocking to experience.

It's not too bad to open a DS lite. Getting it back together can be a pain in the ass.

But Sp00ge is right, check the battery first.

I bought one with the same issue on eBay, turns out it had a busted board, and I ended up destroying it anyways, but I got a few extra parts, except top screens if you need anything.
I may be seeking your assistance on that soon. So far, I think it is just a spring on the power switch. But once I have time to get really into (about 2 weeks from now) I should know more.

Thanks for the help guys!

Some odd finds at a GW while out traveling.

BMX XXX  GameCube

Metal Gear Saga Vol. 2 DVD (sealed)

Way of the Samurai 3 The art and strategy of the warring states DVD (sealed)

Disgaea custom soundtrack (sealed)

PS2 DEMO God of War II (sealed)

PS2 DEMO Rogue Galaxy (complete)

PSP DEMO Jeanne D'Arc (complete)

PSP DEMO God of War chains of Olympus (complete)

PSP DEMO Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (sealed)

PSP DEMO Killzone Liberation (sealed)

All were $3 each except the soundtrack which was $2.

A few of them have pin holes like they were hung on the wall.  It's as if a game store or collector ditched all of it.  I've been picking up demos when I get the chance, particularly for bigger name games.  It was all gathered in a pile so I assume someone was about to buy it then set it aside.  Wonder what I missed out on.

'twas a nice day for me at savers with some retro goodness.

FC Twin Turbo + AV Cables / AC Adapter (on of those knockoff consoles that play nes / snes games) 6.99

Official Snes controller 1.99

Official GCN controller black 1.99

XBOX wireless Pelican Controller 4.99

Snes games 3.99 each:

Mario World

Mario Kart

Killer instinct 

Donkey Kong

Earthworm Jim 2

Nes Games 3.99 each:

DR Mario

Donkey Kong Classic 

Tokyo Extreme Racer Dreamcast 2.99

PSX: games 2.99 each:

Intelligent Qube :) yay the best find.

G-darius

Rollcage

NES with everything except AC adapter 14.99

Ps3 Games:

Army of 2 Devil's Cartel 8.99

Mortal Kombat 4.99

Best part is I had one of their 30% off entire purchase coupons so every single thing was 30% off of the listed prices.

crazy that this was all at one store....some days you just get lucky like that I guess.

The lady said I also missed a Nintendo Console 'in a white box'.(apparently the official box) The thing is I dont remember any nintendo console coming in a white box. Not the nes, not hte snes, not the n64, not the gamecube. She said for sure it WASNT a wii....meh she could have just not known what she was talking about but it got me curious...whatever it was it sold immediately for 14.99...

The lady said I also missed a Nintendo Console 'in a white box'.(apparently the official box) The thing is I dont remember any nintendo console coming in a white box. Not the nes, not hte snes, not the n64, not the gamecube. She said for sure it WASNT a wii....meh she could have just not known what she was talking about but it got me curious...whatever it was it sold immediately for 14.99...
Nice find on IQ, I remember playing a demo of that back in the day, thought it was pretty fun. Also, it's possible that white box Nintendo console was a DS of some sort.

FC Twin Turbo + AV Cables / AC Adapter (on of those knockoff consoles that play nes / snes games) 6.99

Official Snes controller 1.99

Official GCN controller black 1.99

XBOX wireless Pelican Controller 4.99

Snes games 3.99 each:

Mario World

Mario Kart

Killer instinct

Donkey Kong

Earthworm Jim 2

Nes Games 3.99 each:

DR Mario

Donkey Kong Classic

Tokyo Extreme Racer Dreamcast 2.99

G-darius

Rollcage

NES with everything except AC adapter 14.99

Ps3 Games:

Army of 2 Devil's Cartel 8.99

Mortal Kombat 4.99

Best part is I had one of their 30% off entire purchase coupons so every single thing was 30% off of the listed prices.

crazy that this was all at one store....some days you just get lucky like that I guess.

Nice wish we had more savers down in orange county, theres only like one and it nver really has anything good

I would also say that the Nintendo console in the white box was a DS of some kind. great haul there!

today, randomly, I found

5 radiohead cds for the girlfriend $1 each

a technics SL-BD 200 (I think) turntable- $5

Marvel Super Hero Squad PS2- disc only, $2

Official Adiddas German National Team Soccer Jersey- $10

not too bad I say. Love me some German soccer. and the turntable is in really awesome shape, almost looks like it has never been used. just needs a power cord.

I second this. The pain I endured trying to get the wifi card cable back under the cartridge slot.
OH CRAP. That is the absolute biggest pain in the ass. The worst part is, I don't think the DS will turn on with it disconnected.

MASA--watch some breakdown videos and guides before you do it, that's my biggest piece of advice.

Some nice finds being posted. My thrifts have been pretty dry lately. My recent pickups:

$1 Gamecube AC Adapter
$2 New Super Mario Brothers Wii guide
$6 2 Gamestop Gamecube controllers

Passed on a $20 Gamecube game boy adapter without a disc and a $15 dirty Gamecube.

I picked up 15-20 empty mini disc cases for .99 today. I figured they would make it easier for me to find "game only" gamecube games, instead of putting them in DVD or wii cases.

WOW, shouldve stayed home. These places just dont get it! Can I have some of your guys thrift stores?!!

GW1- Nothing

GW2- There was a tub with SNES and N64 games.......nothing but crap! See some other games in the glasscase; A Link To The Past, Ocarina of Time, Pokemon Stadium, and Doom64....$25 apiece! Youd think this place would have learned after noone bought the $30 N64 and $50 NES!!!  :wall:

Little thrift store- nothing but I told the old guy that I talk hockey and baseball with that im looking for old games and he said hed keep a look out.  :pray:

GW3- $12 system only broken Genesis. Missing the power button, top was cracked, missing part of the cartridge slot

Salvation Army- nothing

GW4- $15 system only Xbox and Gamecube, $30 N64 (cables and a controller)

Another little store- $38 Gamecube (2 broken controllers, cables, stuck reset button), junk sports games

I saw 2 ps1's in the glass case today(at the Goodwill that I hate going to(unless I'm right by it)) marked at $15-$20 each. An original gameboy sports game for $4.

Pretty decent day. Hit hpb, goodwill, and savers. After a few weeks of a dry spell finally got something.

KogRj99l.jpg

Uncharted 2 goty 6.99
Oblivion PC goty 2.99
Romance the three kingdoms genesis cib 7.99
Dr robot nicks mean bean machine cib
Sega classic tournament golf w/ box two pack with dr r for 3.99
Ristar, asterix and toe jam and earl 2 for 2.99

OH CRAP. That is the absolute biggest pain in the ass. The worst part is, I don't think the DS will turn on with it disconnected.

MASA--watch some breakdown videos and guides before you do it, that's my biggest piece of advice.
I think I might have a neck injury from it lol. Not sure if the DS won't turn on if its disconnected. The problems with the DS I had to fix was a blown fuse, which is also a pain. I just sold it for someone else to fix.

@Masa - Will send you a link to the video I used to learn from.

bread's done
Back