2014 Thrift Store Thread - Post your finds here!

Stopped by a GW on my way back from cashing my check, found

GTA VC- 3.99

ATV Offroad something or other 5.00

I bought neither because that's kind of expensive for both. bleh, my thrift store slump has begun after a strong start this year.

Picked up these Odyssey games for $2 each.  Don't have a system to match these with but I like the look and the cool handles. 

gallery_354731_8396_940642.jpg

These glasses were dirt cheap at 99 cents for SMB2 and 49 cents for Star Trek 3 Lord Kruge Taco Bell.  The Mario mug is large and already has a spot in my collection bookcase. 

gallery_354731_8396_378405.jpg

Random finds on 50 percent off media day.  The Sly game was 4.xx and the other two 49 cents after 50 percent off.  The Sly game is new in shrinkwrap but has a hole punch through the bottom corner.  I am guessing this was from a major retailer.  I've never seen a tiny hole punch through a case and artwork.  Good find as I purchased the new Sly when Blockbuster was closing in the final days.  I ended up getting the new and old for about $10 combined. 

gallery_354731_8396_995435.jpg

Random finds on 50 percent off media day. The Sly game was 4.xx and the other two 49 cents after 50 percent off. The Sly game is new in shrinkwrap but has a hole punch through the bottom corner. I am guessing this was from a major retailer. I've never seen a tiny hole punch through a case and artwork. Good find as I purchased the new Sly when Blockbuster was closing in the final days. I ended up getting the new and old for about $10 combined.

gallery_354731_8396_995435.jpg
A long time ago when I won CDs from a contest they were all hole punched through the cases. Maybe it was from something like that?

Random finds on 50 percent off media day. The Sly game was 4.xx and the other two 49 cents after 50 percent off. The Sly game is new in shrinkwrap but has a hole punch through the bottom corner. I am guessing this was from a major retailer. I've never seen a tiny hole punch through a case and artwork. Good find as I purchased the new Sly when Blockbuster was closing in the final days. I ended up getting the new and old for about $10 combined.
Usually a hole like that means it went to salvage at a major store and/or liquidated to a third party. the whole is supposed to make it so it can't be sold as brand new or returned to a store somewhere. I have a few cds that came like that.

The hole punch used to be called a "cutout" in the days of records because a part of the packaging would be cut out if it were a promo item or a liquidation. I have a lot of cutout CDs because I used to book concerts, so they would send me cutouts if they didn't have actual items marked "Promo" (in case I was not familiar with the band).

In book selling they are called "Remainder marks". If video games/DVDs are given out they either take a hot punch through the upc or slice through it to prevent it from being returned. Most of the time this happens it is because the game was won in a contest or given away from a focus group. Some CAGs were part of a SONY word of mouth marketing campaign through a company named "house party" and when they sent us free games they were "cutouts".

I've never seen them go clean through the front before. Someone may have overshot it or maybe that was a retail salvage (but I have never seen a retailer do promo punches on a video game - That doesn't mean that it is incorrect, I just haven't heard of that happening, but it would make sense if they did that).

EDIT: And I want one of those Mario Glasses! Nice find!

Last edited by a moderator:
My last couple of weeks of Goodwill hunting.

vQjkEQh.jpg

The big box games at the top were all $.99 each, Hunter Killer and Zorro were open, But still had sealed jewel cases inside, FSX, Freedom Force and Doom 3 were all $1.50 after discounts, And Assassin's Creed and Sam & Max Season 1 were both brand new and $1.99.

Didn't know there was a trift store topic here.
I'm jealous of all you guys finding boxed old carts.

I already posted my "big" finds on another thread but figured I'd post everything I found recently at three diffrent stores here:

-$20 Xbox in perfect condition (just dusty as all hell) with separately bought S controller, memory card, av cable, & gauntlet hidden in the tray. Was missing the power cable so I bought it for a $1 at play n trade along with Link's Crossbow training with original case for $5 (also perfect condition, this guy must have babied it like I do my games lol).
-$8 PS1 in perfect condition (just really dirty) with all cables, & two memory cards (one official, one I'm not sure of). Just need to get a controller for it. Place I went to had many ps1s,I just picked the best one & they allowed me to switch all the cables to get the best stuff (including the memory cards that were with another console).

Game wise I picked up the following ps2 games: two tomb raiders, two legend of spyro games, spyro enter the dragonfly, Spyro hero...something, two ddr games, destroy all humans, the incredibles rise of the underminer, primal rage demo, tony hawk pro skater 2 or 3, Jak 2 & 3, Ratchet (not sure which one), & some other shovel ware games I felt like trying all for around $30 with tax. Each was about $0.25-$2. All but five were complete (2 missing a manual, 2 missing the front artwork, & 1 had everything but was in a blockbuster case). Also got a "free" official memory card inside one of the games.
Lastly, I picked up Paper Mario Sticker Star for the 3DS. Brand new in wrapping for $5 & a complete Mario Kart Double Dash case for free (somebody stole the game disc :/ they were just going to throw it away so I asked for it ).

Where do you guys post half price books finds? DO they go in this thread or is there a dedicated one?

Half Price Books Thread

I use the HPB thread mostly to keep track of sales and there usually isn't a lot of posts about what people find there. It would be nice to see the HPB thread more active, but you'll probably get more eyeballs and responses here.
Maybe there should be a HPB Pick Up thread in this section...maybe...

The hole punch used to be called a "cutout" in the days of records because a part of the packaging would be cut out if it were a promo item or a liquidation. I have a lot of cutout CDs because I used to book concerts, so they would send me cutouts if they didn't have actual items marked "Promo" (in case I was not familiar with the band).

In book selling they are called "Remainder marks". If video games/DVDs are given out they either take a hot punch through the upc or slice through it to prevent it from being returned. Most of the time this happens it is because the game was won in a contest or given away from a focus group. Some CAGs were part of a SONY word of mouth marketing campaign through a company named "house party" and when they sent us free games they were "cutouts".

I've never seen them go clean through the front before. Someone may have overshot it or maybe that was a retail salvage (but I have never seen a retailer do promo punches on a video game - That doesn't mean that it is incorrect, I just haven't heard of that happening, but it would make sense if they did that).

EDIT: And I want one of those Mario Glasses! Nice find!
My former roommate who used to write/post game reviews on his site and youtube channel as a hobby said he would get all the games for free from the publishers and developers itself like SCE, Naughty Dog, Santa Monica Studios, and so on. After he moved out, he gave me like 50+ games (retail copies & test sample games) for free and all of the retail version games had punch hole on the UPC barcode. Some of them were still shrink wrapped with punch hole. Here's a few of them.

IMAG1608.jpg

IMAG1607.jpg

Yes all of those pictured would be cutouts. I forgot they use the circle cutouts too now. Basically it is done to prevent the upc from being scanned or to make it obvious that it is not to be returned. Technically they need to wipe out an entire row vertically to keep it from being scanned. I think all of the ones you posted can be scanned still...maybe not the top right one. :lol:

I saw a bunch of crappy DS games marked at $10 a piece, and they were all cartridge only. All in the glass case like they were a great deal.
I HATE that.. and all my GW's do that, I saw the flipping Burger King games in the glass case just yesterday... along with five year old sports titles... did spot a brand new vita copy of MLB the Show 13... $25... insane

somebody school me on how to add the spoiler tags to my pics. I have a find to post but it has a little too much cleavage in the pic. since my pictures are usually fairly large I didn't want to offend anyone. its only PG or G rated. I just don't think everyone would appreciate a boob right in their face when they click on the thread. I'm sure some of you would be perfectly fine with that though.

Grabbed a few mediocre things today, nothing amazing:

Yahtzee handheld: $00.99

Oddworld Munch's Oddysee: $2.99

Sealed PS1 Wireless Controller (Mad Catz): $3.99 (meh, mad catz sucks but it was sealed... and wireless with a rechargable battery pack. Felt like it was worth giving a shot at the price)

Two PS2 First Party Memory Cards: $1.99 each

don't post pics normally, but this is kind of special

3 bucks each, all are spotless (not sure Skyrim was every played as it has dust on the disc. DKCR has the CN code, not sure of validity though). There was a stack of 360 games, mostly older stuff like Dead or Alive 4, MUA 1, TW 08, Project Gotham Racing 3 and a couple other ones. Figure I can sell any one of these and recoup the 10.56 it cost me (after discount). Rock smith is for my girlfriend, although I don't know if she will like it very much since she would "rather play her guitar" than a video game. Same GW had Full Metal Alchemist Season 1 Part 2 and Season 2 Part 1 for 3 bucks each, but I passed on those as I would rather let someone else in on the fun.

Today, different GW on the other side of town, pick up Command and Conquer 3 TW for 360 @ 3  bucks. No manual, but disc is beautiful. Trading fodder!!!!

Funny thing is this same GW had a copy of Halo 3 in the case (C&C was with the DVDS on the shelf) for the low, low price of 9.99.

don't post pics normally, but this is kind of special

3 bucks each, all are spotless (not sure Skyrim was every played as it has dust on the disc. DKCR has the CN code, not sure of validity though). There was a stack of 360 games, mostly older stuff like Dead or Alive 4, MUA 1, TW 08, Project Gotham Racing 3 and a couple other ones. Figure I can sell any one of these and recoup the 10.56 it cost me (after discount). Rock smith is for my girlfriend, although I don't know if she will like it very much since she would "rather play her guitar" than a video game. Same GW had Full Metal Alchemist Season 1 Part 2 and Season 2 Part 1 for 3 bucks each, but I passed on those as I would rather let someone else in on the fun.

Today, different GW on the other side of town, pick up Command and Conquer 3 TW for 360 @ 3 bucks. No manual, but disc is beautiful. Trading fodder!!!!

Funny thing is this same GW had a copy of Halo 3 in the case (C&C was with the DVDS on the shelf) for the low, low price of 9.99.
You lucky bastard. Which GW's did you find these at?

gallery_354731_8396_413947.jpg

This isn't the cleavage pic but part of the same lot.  The interesting thing about this record is it tells the parents to cut and frame or pin it up for decoration. the other side is a full color illustration. Wonder how many of these covers were destroyed by kids.  I asked my friend who is a huge Batman and vinyl collector (lots of rare punk) if he had one and he didn't.  I might just gift it to him if I can get myself to let it go.

This lot of records are from a local small charity thrift.  I try to always spend at least a couple bucks at any of the small charity thrift stores I frequent every time I am there.  They don't always have something I want, but I find a book, CD, or DVD, or whatever. They didn't have any good gaming stuff so I grabbed a few CD's and checked the old records before I was leaving and grabbed these.  The top two are for my collection and I might end up gifting the other two.  One to a Batman collector and the other to my wife's cousin as he will get a kick out of it.  He loves music and vinyl records and grew up in Kuwait.  It's the perfect gag gift but knowing him he will probably like it and want to hear it right away.  $2 for the lot. 

Safe for Work cleavage pic to follow.

gallery_354731_8396_402207.jpg

Found these today but ultimately passed on them as they're for Amiga/C64. Even at 3 each, I just don't have the room. Anyone interested, let me know via pm and I can still pick them up.

I did pick up, from the same lot, Pirates! and Future Wars Adventures in Time (both complete). Those seem to be fetching a bit on ebay.

EDIT: Linking from my phone failed.  Fixed now.

I feel like I'm starting to run hot.  I think my contributions lately have got me a little more focused on stopping at thrifts if I have a chance.  I usually work between 45-50 hours a week at my job and have a family so it's hard to find time for this hobby.  I had the day off today so I swung by my favorite shop on the way home.  I found this sweet lot in the case and was worried it would be overpriced.  To my surprise $12.24 :hot: .  You can't tell from the pic but the top is perfect gray while the bottom half has the yellowing.  Kind of a weird two tone look.  Once again the tag was marked May 16 but purchased May 15.  DVD not pictured  Fast Times at Ridgemont High $1.99.

gallery_354731_8396_322917.jpg

Needless to say I was pretty pumped by this find.

Monroeville. Had to return a busted PS2, and it turned out to be like an even exchange for the games.

That Infidel game looks fantastically awful btw
Seriously? I never find anything at that store that isn't super overpriced. Is that Rocksmith just game only or did it come with a cable? If not, I'll trade you one of my extra cables for that BFME2 ;)

Went to a little thrift store and some guy asks if I knew anything about the stuff below. Helped him hook it up to a tv he had and it powered on. I asked how much he wanted for it. He says, "I bought this off a lady who came in not to long ago, Id like to double my money...........hows 10 bucks sound young man?"............ 

Really dirty, missing the expansion cover, and itll need a replacement stick eventually but Ive been not finding many systems lately so im getting a little desperate! Edit- cant see it but the controller has the Transfer pack as well.

First time posting here in a long while. Yesterday, I went on a thrifting adventure, and picked up Nocturne and Tsunami 2265 for $2 each to a privately owned store. Went to a Savers afterwards. Didn't buy anything, but I did see a Sharpshooter for $2 that I passed on. On the way home, I was listening to a gaming podcast where one of the guys was talking about how he just bought a Move, Sharpshooter, and a bunch of first person and light gun games. After when he mentioned House of the Dead 4, I knew I had to get it. So today, I headed back. I almost didn't check the game section (gun was with the toys) since the selection is normally lackluster but I figured a quick peek over wouldn't hurt. And lucky me, I found a stack of 8 good complete PS2 games for $3 each! There were these, Kingdom Hearts 2, and Dynasty Warriors 4 Empires. Quickly grabbed these 6 and started looking them over. No more than 5 seconds after I grab them, another guy comes over, phone in hand, to start looking up games. Oh, the victory was super sweet. Walked over to the board games section, and after 2 minutes, same guy showed up there too.  :lol: Walked down the aisle, picked up the Sharpshooter that was still where it was yesterday, and made my way to the register, very pleased with my haul.

DSC00385.jpg

Cool stuff. I could use a sharpshooter for the move I never used. Hooked it up , charged it and never found it worth using as I prefer the PS3 controller exclusively.

I feel like I'm starting to run hot. I think my contributions lately have got me a little more focused on stopping at thrifts if I have a chance. I usually work between 45-50 hours a week at my job and have a family so it's hard to find time for this hobby. I had the day off today so I swung by my favorite shop on the way home. I found this sweet lot in the case and was worried it would be overpriced. To my surprise $12.24 :hot: . You can't tell from the pic but the top is perfect gray while the bottom half has the yellowing. Kind of a weird two tone look. Once again the tag was marked May 16 but purchased May 15. DVD not pictured Fast Times at Ridgemont High $1.99.

This. This is a great deal. :)

Seriously? I never find anything at that store that isn't super overpriced. Is that Rocksmith just game only or did it come with a cable? If not, I'll trade you one of my extra cables for that BFME2 ;)
Well, I Never FInd Stuff In Monroeville... (do jedi mind tricks work in a forum?)

Since I go to school at the IUP satellite campus up there, I hit that store up once a week at least. Most of the time, things are reasonable in pricing, but somethings are just plain jacked up. The day I found the 360 games, one of them was Tiger Woods 08 marked 3 bucks. IN the same case, there has (and still is) a PS3 copy of the same game for 5.99. I don't get it, maybe just different managers? This past semester has been good for me at that store compared to the ones in the North Hills area by my office which lately have been mostly a waste of time (haven't found anything noteworthy at the Gibsonia one in ages it seems and it is way to far out to go regularly). The Wexford one is all kinds of crazy stupid with pricing anymore. It is almost as if I have seen the change in that one with my own eyes happen over the last 6-8 months.

Rocksmith did not come with the cable sadly, but since it is for my girlfriend and she never gets around to playing the games she gets, then I am not in a hurry to find one. I am going to the exchange this weekend to pick up some goodies on PS3, which are picture worthy and will be posted in the appropriate forum.

Funny thing about BFME2, it is the second copy I have found within the last year or so. Both were 3 bucks, at different stores on opposite sides of town. Go figure!

I finally found a Wii Rockband dongle ($2)for the Hofner wii bass I bought for $4 6 months ago. With any luck they'll both work.

I feel like I'm starting to run hot. I think my contributions lately have got me a little more focused on stopping at thrifts if I have a chance. I usually work between 45-50 hours a week at my job and have a family so it's hard to find time for this hobby. I had the day off today so I swung by my favorite shop on the way home. I found this sweet lot in the case and was worried it would be overpriced. To my surprise $12.24 :hot: . You can't tell from the pic but the top is perfect gray while the bottom half has the yellowing. Kind of a weird two tone look. Once again the tag was marked May 16 but purchased May 15. DVD not pictured Fast Times at Ridgemont High $1.99.

Nice haul, especially Super Metroid. Love that freakin game when I was kid.

First time posting here in a long while. Yesterday, I went on a thrifting adventure, and picked up Nocturne and Tsunami 2265 for $2 each to a privately owned store. Went to a Savers afterwards. Didn't buy anything, but I did see a Sharpshooter for $2 that I passed on. On the way home, I was listening to a gaming podcast where one of the guys was talking about how he just bought a Move, Sharpshooter, and a bunch of first person and light gun games. After when he mentioned House of the Dead 4, I knew I had to get it. So today, I headed back. I almost didn't check the game section (gun was with the toys) since the selection is normally lackluster but I figured a quick peek over wouldn't hurt. And lucky me, I found a stack of 8 good complete PS2 games for $3 each! There were these, Kingdom Hearts 2, and Dynasty Warriors 4 Empires. Quickly grabbed these 6 and started looking them over. No more than 5 seconds after I grab them, another guy comes over, phone in hand, to start looking up games. Oh, the victory was super sweet. Walked over to the board games section, and after 2 minutes, same guy showed up there too. :lol: Walked down the aisle, picked up the Sharpshooter that was still where it was yesterday, and made my way to the register, very pleased with my haul.

DSC00385.jpg
ZOE2 was fetching a hefty amount online a few years ago.

ZOE2 was fetching a hefty amount online a few years ago.
probably not so much now since the HD re-release. could be wrong though

I picked up a skateboard today, it is a Zero deck, Destructo Trucks, Toy Machine Wheels. Has some TM stickers on it that I will repurpose onto something else. Immediately had fun in the parking lot. 6 bucks!!!

I picked up a skateboard today, it is a Zero deck, Destructo Trucks, Toy Machine Wheels. Has some TM stickers on it that I will repurpose onto something else. Immediately had fun in the parking lot. 6 bucks!!!
Love that you skated in the thrift parking lot right away. Way better than putting it away never to be seen again. Anytime a gamer gets exercise that's a good thing. With these skateboard and snowboard finds lots of fun to be had. Or a bunch of broken bones and injuries.

stopped in at a thrift saw a medievil ps1 in with the cd's I'm like nice!, Crash bandicoot warped was inside, no manual >.>, shouldn't suprise me being the same place that has tiger woods pga '9x in a final doom case...
So today at the same thrift store I found a Treasures of the deep, but the front had the Medievil Manual (both the Medievil and Treasures games were inside!

But the front of the case has PO EB Medievil sticker and the back has PO EB Treasures of the Deep stickers. SO someone Frankenstein'ed the case and put both games together, game was not out when I was there on Wednesday...

but for $1.xx I can;t really complain.

So today at the same thrift store I found a Treasures of the deep, but the front had the Medievil Manual (both the Medievil and Treasures games were inside!

But the front of the case has PO EB Medievil sticker and the back has PO EB Treasures of the Deep stickers. SO someone Frankenstein'ed the case and put both games together, game was not out when I was there on Wednesday...

but for $1.xx I can;t really complain.
Wow. Persistence really does pay.

Love that you skated in the thrift parking lot right away. Way better than putting it away never to be seen again. Anytime a gamer gets exercise that's a good thing. With these skateboard and snowboard finds lots of fun to be had. Or a bunch of broken bones and injuries.
yea, I was going to try a kickflip in the store, but there were too many people walking around. I plan on keeping it in my trunk so if I have time between clients/get bored/need to ride from school to the bar I can just hop on. There is a lady in my cohort whos son "skates" and I feel it would be the right thing to do if I gave it to him at some point since, you know, I am old and don't have health insurance.

Not sure my boss(es) would be happy if I got all cracked up and went to work/had to call off though lol

Great find on the Battle for Middle Earth 2. I can't find them around my area anymore. :/ :lol:

Almost everyone has better Thrift Stores than me. :(

yea, I was going to try a kickflip in the store, but there were too many people walking around. I plan on keeping it in my trunk so if I have time between clients/get bored/need to ride from school to the bar I can just hop on. There is a lady in my cohort whos son "skates" and I feel it would be the right thing to do if I gave it to him at some point since, you know, I am old and don't have health insurance.

Not sure my boss(es) would be happy if I got all cracked up and went to work/had to call off though lol
Good idea to ride to bar. No DUI. Could be a fun ride home if you have too many. On the bosses subject. Just tell them your in a "fight club". Ask if they want to try it out. If yes, invite badass dudes to your house and you guys can kick some boss ass.

Good idea to ride to bar. No DUI. Could be a fun ride home if you have too many. On the bosses subject. Just tell them your in a "fight club". Ask if they want to try it out. If yes, invite badass dudes to your house and you guys can kick some boss ass.
lol, you don't know this, but I am a therapist whom works with autistic kids. 95% of the people at my office are women, which would make a fight club invite very... uneventful because I can't bring myself to justify hitting a woman. My clinical director would beat my ass anyway, she is more Irish than me and about half a foot taller.

Used to go riding a lot into the wee late hours, and I can say that if one is not too drunk, skating and drinking is a lot of fun! only downside is it hurts a lot more when you don't remember what happened :whistle2:

bread's done
Back