2014 Yardsale thread

I know that people around here don't have the money to pay outrageous prices for games but apparently a friend told me this chain is owned by a rich guy so it will be around for a while, some of the prices are close or meow than the price of a new $60 game so I don't think people are willing to pay those prices. Around here it's very urban and in my city the only popular games are really COD, GTA and halo or anything that is violent, anyone who wants retro games probably already is old enough to have what they want. I have a hard time believing people would pay $70-80 for a beat up copy of conker's fur day when they could be buying the latest COD around here. The flea market here just closed and they are turning it into a walmart so that brings a lot of small time vendors out of the picture for my city at least even though most of the vendors are moving to other flea's that are further out of the way of where I live. However that does not change the fact that the chains are moving to almost every city in WNY and conveniently placing themselves right next to or in the same plaza as thrift shops. Games will eventually be 100% digital at some point in the future so eventually there will be a gen of kids that has not grown up with physical games so there will be no physical game collecting of games from their childhood. Most people cannot keep a huge collection of games for their entire life, eventually you have to give it up. I will have to give up most of my games in a couple years most likely, though I don't have that many compared to some people. Even Michael Thomason whom I recently had the opportunity to hang out with is selling his collection of games and it's over 11,000 games.
Yep we are definitely in the same area. The Flea Market closing really irked me as I have found a lot of stuff there between the outside sellers and a few of the inside sellers. I mean, do we really need another walmart when there is seriously one down the road, it really isn't even that good of a spot in my opinion but I suppose thats not really worth discussing anymore. The other two flea markets around just are no where near the same and really aren't worth the drive up for me. And I think I know what game store your talking about, we've got a smaller chain thats started up down where I am and they also similarly overprice their retro stuff thanks to eBay but haven't been as active in the yard sale scene as people don't really buy the retro stuff down here, they've actually expanded into sporting goods oddly enough and he has been making a killing on those items and it's actually livened up the yard sale scene for me again.

Also heres some better pictures of what was included game wise for my lot. Everything except Uninvited for the NES works, I gotta find some rubbing alcohol and see if I can fix that game that way, and Adventure Island I have to take apart as a somehow broke the support that holds the board in place inside the cart. Did end up with a few doubles and in one case triples, but I have made up a 12 game bundle that's on eBay that will pay for all of this easily. All of the consoles work perfectly. Really was an amazing lot for me. The batteries will need replacement in the Pokemon games unfortunately, but they are all in pristine shape so I just gotta get around to that.

NES Games:

0OPDOm9.jpg

GB Games:

o7E6UmI.jpg

Any why can't you use isopropyl alcohol on portable games?
I wish I could tell you! Years ago I got a lot of Game Boy and DS games that were stubborn to get working. I scrubbed them all with isopropyl like any other game and they never worked again. I did some research and found a site that said why it can ruin them. Now I looked for it to link and can't find it and every site says to use isopropyl so perhaps I am wrong but just based on my experiences I won't use it or recommend it.

[quote name="dodgeme" post="11828322" timestamp="1402359632"]Yep we are definitely in the same area. The Flea Market closing really irked me as I have found a lot of stuff there between the outside sellers and a few of the inside sellers. I mean, do we really need another walmart when there is seriously one down the road, it really isn't even that good of a spot in my opinion but I suppose thats not really worth discussing anymore. The other two flea markets around just are no where near the same and really aren't worth the drive up for me. And I think I know what game store your talking about, we've got a smaller chain thats started up down where I am and they also similarly overprice their retro stuff thanks to eBay but haven't been as active in the yard sale scene as people don't really buy the retro stuff down here, they've actually expanded into sporting goods oddly enough and he has been making a killing on those items and it's actually livened up the yard sale scene for me again.[/quote]

The game shop isn't such a problem for yard sales as I don't think they have staff that cover all the sales, besides even if they did there is no way they would be able to hit every sale since a lot of sales here are unadvertised. Besides they are probably busy buying out all those flea market vendors...

It's a problem because

1. People go there to trade in stuff instead of selling it at their yard sale, this leaves less on the market to buy

2. People go in there, see the prices and think they have gold, this translates to someone selling at a yard sale with PS2 shovelware games charging $50 a pop since they saw one PS2 game at Oogie games priced at $50. People charging $50 for SNES systems, again dirty... Because they saw it at Oogie's for $70 and that is apparently a discount..

But most of the time I find it's all talk here, people mention eBay this, eBay that, they don't even have an account or the means to sell on there, not to mention filthy dirty games are not the same as clean and fixed ones. People seem to forget that there is actual work that goes into being an eBay seller..

I think the flea market was an issue of structure with the building, it was a disgusting, old building filled with rat droppings and asbestos and the city wants it gone. It's clear that the city of buffalo wants to drive out the small businesses and bring in the big stores like Walmart. I don't really care since I just shop online for games these days since it's cheaper that way.

But again if I am looking for profit we all know there are other items to make money on

[quote name="dodgeme" post="11828322" timestamp="1402359632"]Yep we are definitely in the same area. The Flea Market closing really irked me as I have found a lot of stuff there between the outside sellers and a few of the inside sellers. I mean, do we really need another walmart when there is seriously one down the road, it really isn't even that good of a spot in my opinion but I suppose thats not really worth discussing anymore. The other two flea markets around just are no where near the same and really aren't worth the drive up for me. And I think I know what game store your talking about, we've got a smaller chain thats started up down where I am and they also similarly overprice their retro stuff thanks to eBay but haven't been as active in the yard sale scene as people don't really buy the retro stuff down here, they've actually expanded into sporting goods oddly enough and he has been making a killing on those items and it's actually livened up the yard sale scene for me again.[/quote]

The game shop isn't such a problem for yard sales as I don't think they have staff that cover all the sales, besides even if they did there is no way they would be able to hit every sale since a lot of sales here are unadvertised. Besides they are probably busy buying out all those flea market vendors...

It's a problem because

1. People go there to trade in stuff instead of selling it at their yard sale, this leaves less on the market to buy

2. People go in there, see the prices and think they have gold, this translates to someone selling at a yard sale with PS2 shovelware games charging $50 a pop since they saw one PS2 game at Oogie games priced at $50. People charging $50 for SNES systems, again dirty... Because they saw it at Oogie's for $70 and that is apparently a discount..

But most of the time I find it's all talk here, people mention eBay this, eBay that, they don't even have an account or the means to sell on there, not to mention filthy dirty games are not the same as clean and fixed ones. People seem to forget that there is actual work that goes into being an eBay seller..

I think the flea market was an issue of structure with the building, it was a disgusting, old building filled with rat droppings and asbestos and the city wants it gone. It's clear that the city of buffalo wants to drive out the small businesses and bring in the big stores like Walmart. I don't really care since I just shop online for games these days since it's cheaper that way.

But again if I am looking for profit we all know there are other items to make money on

I wish I could tell you! Years ago I got a lot of Game Boy and DS games that were stubborn to get working. I scrubbed them all with isopropyl like any other game and they never worked again. I did some research and found a site that said why it can ruin them. Now I looked for it to link and can't find it and every site says to use isopropyl so perhaps I am wrong but just based on my experiences I won't use it or recommend it.
The only thing I can think of is if it wasn't 91% and the water didn't completely evaporate. Of course if they didnt have ample time to dry they would short out. I know it will jack up the labels on DS games (like if there is marker on a game and you use alcohol to get it off, it will just seep into the label eventhough it is glossy). I wonder if it is some type of paste they use rather than solder that gets dissolved or something...

I've used 70% iso without issues on several gameboy games and a few DS games, However whenever I clean a game with iso, I always use a "clean" q-tip to wipe off any remaining iso.

How do you guys deal with cleaning discs? I was so harcore/dumb this one time, I tried to clean a GameCube disc with acetone (nail polish remover) it obliterated the game lol.

For cleaning discs I actually sprung for a JFJ Easy Pro buffing machine. For all the games, CDs, & DVDs it has saved, it's been well worth it.

If your on the cheap toothpaste the white kind can work as well, not necessarily a permanent fix but can get a scratched game working again.

How do you guys deal with cleaning discs? I was so harcore/dumb this one time, I tried to clean a GameCube disc with acetone (nail polish remover) it obliterated the game lol.
I use a JFJ Easy Pro Plus. The best entry level professional disc resurfacing machine and it is actually still the best at any price for sanding deep scratches. I've taken games most people would have thrown away and gotten them back to looking new using it.

One was even a Crash Bandicoot for PS1 that someone had taken a knife and scratched "fuck You" into the bottom of the disc. A few sanding and polishing cycles later it looked and played like new and the person that bought it even left feedback that they cried because it was in such good condition!

I use a JFJ Easy Pro Plus. The best entry level professional disc resurfacing machine and it is actually still the best at any price for sanding deep scratches. I've taken games most people would have thrown away and gotten them back to looking new using it.

One was even a Crash Bandicoot for PS1 that someone had taken a knife and scratched "fuck You" into the bottom of the disc. A few sanding and polishing cycles later it looked and played like new and the person that bought it even left feedback that they cried because it was in such good condition!
I've been wondering about getting one of these. It doesn't leave circular marks? I'm talking about really faint ones that you can only see if you hold it up under your nose in just the right light? Because yes, I do do that. I have a Zdag, and it does work after a fashion. But it also leaves marks. And the hinges for the cover broke.

I know it's a little early to start this thread, but dammit I will anyway :)

Share your 2014 findings from the magical world of yardsales!!!

Previous Threads:

Previous Threads:

add that to the op and put a space between "yard" and "sale" please in the title.

I'm getting 404'd on all the previous year thread links. Also, the 2013 thread is missing from the list!
I went back to the beginning of the year to check things out. Do you CAGs realize the OP links are still busted and no 2013 still? Not a big deal as slowdive provided working links to the previous years not in the OP. Be cool to have 2013 link.

Do you recall when you originally bought the machine how many games you were able to clean with the original supplies?

They advertise about 20 cents per cleaning... do you concur?

Thank you

Appears Wally/Amazon may have the best price at $119 but surprisingly GS has these for $124 (for those with credit).

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been wondering about getting one of these. It doesn't leave circular marks? I'm talking about really faint ones that you can only see if you hold it up under your nose in just the right light? Because yes, I do do that. I have a Zdag, and it does work after a fashion. But it also leaves marks. And the hinges for the cover broke.
The first few games with a new polishing pad will leave swirly marks, I normally just run junk cracked games the first few with a new pad. It did take me a while from when I first got it to figure out how to get everything working right to get perfect results but after the first 1,000 or so I got a system worked out. Also the nut that holds the disc on the mounting plate will leave marks so I cut a piece of cloth and glued it to the nut to help prevent that.

Do you recall when you originally bought the machine how many games you were able to clean with the original supplies?
They advertise about 20 cents per cleaning... do you concur?
Thank you
Appears Wally/Amazon may have the best price at $119 but surprisingly GS has these for $124 (for those with credit).
For cleaning yes I think 20 per 1 minute polishing cycle is accurate. Sanding however can get expensive, sometimes the sand paper will get uneven after sanding a particularly bad disc and after that will leave marks on the inside and outside edge which is especially bad because the security barcode on games is on the inside edge so it obscures that and makes them unreadable. Sometimes a $2 piece of sandpaper will last 10 games and some last for 100 games.

I would go into it anticipating it being more expensive then you think, I typically spend $100 a month on supplies. Sanding PADS last about 1,000 games, cost $8.95 and you need two one for 600 grit sandpaper one for 1200 grit. Sand PAPER I buy in packs of 10 as that is much cheaper and those are $12 a pack and again you need two and will last about as long as the sanding pads. Polishing pads are $6 each, again you need two, the white buffing pad I can get to last 4,000 games and blue waxing pad about 6,000. The compounds are $12 each, two again and last about 2,000 uses.

Also, another warning to the JFJ or any resurfacing machine is you may get the small spindle splits, the same if you play a game for awhile and take it out of the system and immediately put it in the case. In both situations the heat of the machine combined with pressure to the spindle causes split. From there it is easy for the game to crack if you don't put disc hub protectors on it. I have some solution I rub over the splits to harden them followed by the hub protectors. Those cost $28 for 2,000 of them which would be good for 1,000 games (one on each side)

I don't. I just wipe them with a soft cloth from the center out. I rarely buy a scratched up disc unless it is a "key" game. I did have a friend resurface a battlefront 2 on xbox for me, but for the amount of times I would actually need to fix a disc, I find it is better to pay someone more experienced. I do have a Kirby air ride that doesn't read that I have been sitting on because I've been told gamecube games are the most difficult to fix. I'd say that the only games that I have that I would want to polish up are mostly PS1 games.

The local library has a "professional model" and I can volunteer to use it, so I may ask to learn how to use it. They have a "Disc Chek" machine, but I haven't seen which model it is.

I went back to the beginning of the year to check things out. Do you CAGs realize the OP links are still busted and no 2013 still? Not a big deal as slowdive provided working links to the previous years not in the OP. Be cool to have 2013 link.
I've tired to get that fixed as well as get the title to match previous years, but the op hasn't bothered. That is why I prefer to make the thread or have another "regular" make it because we can keep that stuff updated/fix problems. IDK who the mods even are anymore now that spooge and shrike arent mods, so IDK who to contact about making changes. The reason we try to keep the thread titles the same is because it is easier to search by just switching the year.

Forgot about two other things

$1

Saturday Morning Cartoons Greatest Hits CD

I got this on tape when I was about 11 years old. Now I can again listen to the Butthole Surfers sing the Underdog theme.

50 cents

Sealed in the bag Mario Bros the Movie Sticker Album Set

Maybe the find of a lifetime lol. Comes with a sticker album and what looks like 8 packs of stickers. I want to kind of open it, but then I need to leave it sealed. Decisisons decisions.

The local library has a "professional model" and I can volunteer to use it, so I may ask to learn how to use it. They have a "Disc Chek" machine, but I haven't seen which model it is.
The RTI Disc Cheks are the best. They even have a robotic one that automatically resurfaces and tests 50 discs at a time.

So what's the appropriate amount of time for a yard sale follow up? the guy that sold me all those dreamcast games said he had more stuff in his garage but some old couches were blocking the way. Was thinking of texting him early saturday. 

CIMG2095.jpg

http://youtu.be/Wa49cVJP-pc

I know some of you guys don't dig the videos or don't have the time or whatever, so figure I'd post a pic with the videos from now on

If you want details on the finds watch the video. Hope you guys enjoy the finds either way....

I listened to the video...I'm pretty sure it is "litle" (little) devil. ;)

All of you had an epic week.

My face is green with envy.   :grouphug:

Picked up  NES teenage mutant ninja turtle 1 and 2 this weekend  3 dollars for the two of them.  Been looking for TMNT 1 for a while, was always a favorite of mine.

Finds 7-13-13

Neighborhood sale advertised games at one of the sales, unfortunately the sale started Friday and they were long gone by Saturday.  Stopped at another house and asked about games.  "Yeah, we have a Gamecube.  The husband excuses himself and brings this out 5 minutes later.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:24184]

"The kids mostly play the Wii now, no reason to keep this.  They still play most of the Gamecube games though."  Wonder what games they didn't want to give up.

Platinum Game Cube
2 Wave Birds
Animal Crossing

$5

Finds 7-13-13

Neighborhood sale advertised games at one of the sales, unfortunately the sale started Friday and they were long gone by Saturday. Stopped at another house and asked about games. "Yeah, we have a Gamecube. The husband excuses himself and brings this out 5 minutes later.

"The kids mostly play the Wii now, no reason to keep this. They still play most of the Gamecube games though." Wonder what games they didn't want to give up.

Platinum Game Cube
2 Wave Birds
Animal Crossing

$5
I would kill to get a Wavebird that cheap (they're $40-50 on ebay nowadays), much less 2 of them and the Cube with Animal Crossing.

Very nice find.

5-24-14

Went to a church sale and found this for $1. I think they bought the wrong wall charger for it. I was able to give it a full charge on my computer and I have used it a few times to make sure it worked. Seems like it is working just fine. TomTom XXL. Watch out world! Slow has technology!!

Your move. YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-GIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII-OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

$12 total

Thanks to the CAG that initially said these are worth money a few years ago. I think it was in the yard sale thread.

:bouncy:

more to come...

So I just emailed a local yard sale on CL about nes games. Decent selection but they want $150 for the lot. I'm guessing they are checking eBay prices. I'm debating just tossing them a lowball, or just going to the sale and seeing what I can grab on the cheap. Only thing is I can't get there early bc a doc apptmnt. What do you guys think?

Legend of Zelda (gold case if that matters)
Kung Fu
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
The Karate Kid
Astyanax
Excitebike
Mega Man 2
Pro Wrestling (sticker is damaged)
Kid Niki Radical Ninja (writing on cartridge)
Star Force
Defender II
Super Mario Bros/ Duck Hunt/ World Class Track Meet x 2
Blades of Steel
Wrestlemania
City Connection
Bad Dudes
The Goonies II
Ninja Gaiden
Metroid
Rygar
10 Yard Fight
Gotcha!
Captain America and the Avengers
R.C. Pro Am
Final Fantasy
Ms. Pac-Man
Rambo
Viper
Solar Jetman
Super Mario Bros.
Skate or Die 2
John Elway's Quarterback

These are some really nice finds and some really amazing prices sometimes. This is going to be my first year visiting yard sales trying to pick up games, consoles and the like. I've noticed previously though that the majority of people in my area are asking way too much for things. Hopefully this year when I'm actually in the mindset to buy this isn't the case.

I was too late for a NES today. I know it went cheap, but I got the impression it didnt have many games. I had to make a choice between two sales that started at the same time on opposite sides of town. I found some stuff at the sale I hit first and I think what I bought is worth more than a NES lot, but I am still mad I missed it.

I was too late for a NES today. I know it went cheap, but I got the impression it didnt have many games. I had to make a choice between two sales that started at the same time on opposite sides of town. I found some stuff at the sale I hit first and I think what I bought is worth more than a NES lot, but I am still mad I missed it.
I have a question about how you choose the sales that you are going to visit, if it's not a trade secret that is. I pore over ads in the paper, on Craig's List etc. looking for video games but people actually advertising them doesn't seem to happen often in my area. Are there other key words or phrases that tell you a sale might be worthwhile? I went to one this morning that promised to be "huge" which you know, was more like "adequate" (there's an inappropriate joke in there somewhere but let's just move on). It did have some video games (unadvertised) but they were just crappy old sports games and a very dirty/cigarette smoke smelling fat PS2. I left them there for the retiree pickers.

I missed a bunch of complete in box n64 games today...I was there an hour and a half early too ;_;

I have a question about how you choose the sales that you are going to visit, if it's not a trade secret that is. I pore over ads in the paper, on Craig's List etc. looking for video games but people actually advertising them doesn't seem to happen often in my area. Are there other key words or phrases that tell you a sale might be worthwhile? I went to one this morning that promised to be "huge" which you know, was more like "adequate" (there's an inappropriate joke in there somewhere but let's just move on). It did have some video games (unadvertised) but they were just crappy old sports games and a very dirty/cigarette smoke smelling fat PS2. I left them there for the retiree pickers.
I look for 'toys' in the ad personally. Or if they just mention 'games' instead of 'video games.'

Yeah any time go to a place advertising games specifically you run the risk of A) being too late or B) finding nothing  but crappy sports games. I've actually had way better luck just cruising around town and hitting random yard sales. Also, one trick I've been using has been to cross-reference sale addresses with CL ads and just email asking about games or lots. Surprisingly the people will write back and tell you exactly what they have so you don't have to bother with a trip if its junk. 

It's hard to explain, but after you have enough experience, you can tell which ads are dealers, which ones are 'baby', which ones may be decent. I hit all of them anyway, but this helps me determine the order.

I actually remember addresses occasionally, so I will know what house it was if they had a sale earlier in the year, and I will hit it later in the day. I find that if someone uses terms like "NES" or "SNES" they usually know what they have. It is really a crapshoot, but I would like to think I have a pretty good eye for stuff.

The reason I elected to go to the different sale is because they have sales annually and it tends to be several houses in the same neighborhood. Sure enough there were 4 houses participating, though only one was listed in the ad. I had bought one of my $5 N64 lots in that neighborhood last year, so I thought there was a good chance they would have newer games. I ended up buying stuff at 2 different houses.

From my experience dealers will have multiple sales per year and you can recognize the ad or the address if you have been here long enough. Looking up sales on CL will usually have a bigger description.

Seems to be 3 types of sales here(and probably everywhere) , old people, baby and dealers. Most of the baby sales will have a toddler running around with the entire lot of baby stuff out on the lawn. These sales never have games. Old people are hit or miss.. Expect them to ask $100 for a CRT TV from 1984, don't expect them to know what a video game is.. Dealers will have an ad every week and you will drive by their sale every week while nothing ever sells.

Thanks for the replies. I will try "toys" and "games". I was already looking at places that advertised "games", but I was figuring that they mostly meant stuff like board games, which could also be kind of cool depending on what it is. Thinking maybe "electronics" might also yield results.

I have run into a couple of "old people" selling video games, nothing much. One lady had an snes with "Super Mario World" that she wanted $25 for. I probably should have at least talked to her about it, but I'm kind of shy about talking to strangers. Need to get over that :p The other old lady had a red Wii with some shovelware like the DJ game that she wanted $60 for. I did ask her about it, said her cleaning lady gave it to her. Weird.

That SNES was probably worth it for $25. I've been paying more for them lately, they seem to be really drying up. I try not to leave them at all anymore.

If the ad mentions lots of movies and music, they're usually into media and there's a better chance they will have games (usually disc based games).  I also make sure to hit up any sale that mentions comics, D&D or any other tabletop game because they are also more likely to have video games (RPGs).  I also make sure to hit any sales in or around colleges.  As far as good finds go, I try to stick to the poorer part of town since older systems are more likely to be in use there.  Since I live in a city that is surrounded by a large rural area, I try to get to some of the sales that might not get much traffic in the country.  It's boom or bust but I've had some pretty good finds traveling.

I don't go to highway sales expecting to find anything because there's too much competition and the sales are mostly comprised of resellers.  I got lucky at a few last year because I went on a rainy days and ran across stuff as it was being put out.

If the ad mentions lots of movies and music, they're usually into media and there's a better chance they will have games (usually disc based games). I also make sure to hit up any sale that mentions comics, D&D or any other tabletop game because they are also more likely to have video games (RPGs). I also make sure to hit any sales in or around colleges. As far as good finds go, I try to stick to the poorer part of town since older systems are more likely to be in use there. Since I live in a city that is surrounded by a large rural area, I try to get to some of the sales that might not get much traffic in the country. It's boom or bust but I've had some pretty good finds traveling.

I don't go to highway sales expecting to find anything because there's too much competition and the sales are mostly comprised of resellers. I got lucky at a few last year because I went on a rainy days and ran across stuff as it was being put out.
While I tend not too look for ads, as they are either fake, resellers, or camped. I always look through DVDs and CDs I cannot tell you how many ps1, ps2, gamecube games I have gotten that were mixed in with the DVDs / CDs that had been overlooked. The one guy I recognized that is a reseller went right past some good gems, because he didn't look through the movies / music.

I left a console only snes for 20 this week at Goodwill. I can never sell console only for much over 25-30 shipped. My limit on any console thats not uncommon is usually 10 unless I need it for some reason.

While I tend not too look for ads, as they are either fake, resellers, or camped. I always look through DVDs and CDs I cannot tell you how many ps1, ps2, gamecube games I have gotten that were mixed in with the DVDs / CDs that had been overlooked. The one guy I recognized that is a reseller went right past some good gems, because he didn't look through the movies / music.
Exactly. My movie and music collections almost rival my game collection (almost) so I enjoy looking through them anyway. Unfortunately it's been dry on all three of those fronts so far this year.

If it had the cords and a working controller, $20 is a good price for a SNES. If it is just the system, no cords, no controllers, then no.

bread's done
Back