2014 Yardsale thread

Slowdive, those pedals are worth $10. My rule of thumb is that $5 is always a good price for pedals regardless. The ones that are not worth anything are far outweighed by the ones that are.

As a side note, very excited about Ogre Battle. I borrowed it from a friend in High School and after I gave it back, I've not seen another copy at a game store or yard sale since. So ready to play it again and have some fun!

I wish it was the year of the snes by me, I am finding a ton of wii stuff, which i guess is good or bad, but I've bought plenty of 20 dollar 

wii systems this summer..

Finds 5-31-14

Merlin $4. This thing was like new.  Was.  When I picked up the box, the bottom flap opened.  It hit the ground and popped the shell off at the top, allowing the speaker to hang loose.  Pissed me off because it was pretty much pristine.

Wasn't finding anything locally so went to a highway sale.  This was from the first stop, it was a flea market vendor asking $7 each.  He had plenty of good titles, only problem is they had left them out the night before in a thunderstorm.  When I picked the cases up, water poured out the seams.  I was going to pass until he offered $3 each.  I grabbed these since I wanted them even if they would end up disc only.  I passed on Naval Ops that I now wish I had picked up since they were probably thrown away after the sale.  The cases and manuals were thrown away after this picture.

In an effort to spend less money, I only took $60 for the day.  After breakfast, gas and the purchase of a few tools along with the other buys I was down to $21.  This was a bad choice on my part.  I wasn't finding much until I ran across this sale that was off the highway. I negotiated these down to $19; $6 each for the Mario Parties, $5 for White Knight Chronicles II and Final Fantasy XII was $2.  Final Fantasy is sealed BTW.  I only had $2 left and there was a Pokedex that she would only go to $4 on along with a few other interesting things. :censored:   I was out in the BFE and there were no ATMs for about 15 miles. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Finds 6-7-14

Sale advertised games, it was in a small country town.  Since there were no decent sales around here I decided to make the trip.  Negotiated Alice to $10, Folklore to $6, Kingdom Hearts II $5 and Dawn of Mana $7.  Also picked up about 20 Dr. Seuss and Little Golden Books for my nephew for $5.  Stopped to move a box turtle out of the road while leaving.

A few blocks away I found these for $1 each at a redneck sale.  One of the ladies at the sale was smokin'!  While browsing her boyfriend pulls up in his camouflage pickup.  I guess he needs to hide it from the deer.

Traveled back in town for this find.  Retired auto repairman had a shop full of old radios, $5 each.  Kept myself under control and limited myself to this one.  1952 RCA Victor AM-FM tube radio model 1R81 Livingston with the Bakelite cabinet.  On this model the dial is back-lit.  One of the knobs are missing and the reception is not too great.  There is an old TV / radio repairman that I might take this to, see if he can tune it up.

Traveled back in town for this find. Retired auto repairman had a shop full of old radios, $5 each. Kept myself under control and limited myself to this one. 1952 RCA Victor AM-FM tube radio model 1R81 Livingston with the Bakelite cabinet. On this model the dial is back-lit. One of the knobs are missing and the reception is not too great. There is an old TV / radio repairman that I might take this to, see if he can tune it up.
Really cool find. Just curious why you limited yourself to just one? I've been wanting a bakelite radio. Glad it still has life left for you. Still haven't messed with my Motorola I found earlier this summer.

Really cool find. Just curious why you limited yourself to just one? I've been wanting a bakelite radio. Glad it still has life left for you. Still haven't messed with my Motorola I found earlier this summer.
The picture may be deceiving, but that thing is about as big as a late 70's VCR (if you've never seen a late 70's top loading VCR, I'll just say they're pretty damn big). I still live in my starter home, so I don't have much space for stuff like that (700 sq. ft.). That picture was taken in my garage because that's where I have to keep it.

I think he opens up his garage to sell stuff every once in awhile, if you want one I can stop by and see if he has other Bakelites. Shipping would probably kill your wallet though.

Finds 6-14-14

This ended up being one of my best weekends of the year for games so far.  Started off with a sale that advertised "video games" with a 7:00 start time.  This sale introduced me to one of my newest competitors.

I arrived at 7:10 to find them still setting up, as soon as I pulled up an older man in his 60's pulls up and starts waiting also.  They soon bring out a stack of PS3 games, as soon as the old man sees them he leaves.  I step in to claim my prize.  Paid asking price ($10 total) since it was pretty cheap for PS3.  This would not be the first run-in with the old fella.

Went to the next sale advertising DS games to find nothing but a beat to shit DS with no games for $30.  No thanks.  On my way out I spot this complete Vietnam era army mess kit for $2.  It was pretty dirty, I had to clean it just to get a decent picture.

LOVE this find.  Guy was selling part of his daughter's Star Wars collection.  This is a four disc soundtrack anthology complete with art book.  Was able to get them down to $10 from $15.  I didn't care if he was firm on price, I wasn't leaving without it!  His daughter has good taste.  ;)

Biggest surprise of the season so far.  Saw this lone game sitting on the table along with a new looking surround sound system.  Ask how much and she says she's not sure how much her husband was wanting for it.  She says "$5?" then immediately talks herself down to $2.  "He should be out here to price his stuff".  I was tempted to ask about more games but I was afraid the husband would walk out and say he wanted $60 for it. 

Hit this sale on a whim on my way home at about 11 AM.  Glad I did.  This was only 6 blocks from the sale that started my day.  Picked up all the N64 games at $0.25 each because they're the first ones I came across this year.  Paid $1 for the PSP case because I need one.  They also had a well worn silver PSP for $20 but I already have two.  Picked up the DS with a cracked hinge, no charger and dirty case for $5.  It works!  Just need a replacement case and hinges.  New Super Mario Bros. was in the slot.  Opened the storage case to find Pokémon Heart Gold and Pokémon Diamond for $4.  So everything pictured for $12.  Not a bad end to the day.

9-16-13

Trying to close out 2013 (and I am sick of looking at my 2014 stuff. I have too many pictures to sort through) ;)

like new modem $1

$5 for the pair of hex dumbells

50 cents CDs...Needed to update these from cassettes. ;)

These were all $1 each misc games, DVDs, etc

more to come

Finds 6-21-14

Sale advertised SNES, Genesis, N64 games and consoles.  Knew there was going to be a lot of competition for this one but decided to give it a shot since there has been none of these available locally this year.  A vague street location was given so I was just going to have to drive and look.  I arrive 20 minutes before open time to see the Jeeper walking away with a box full of stuff.  The Jeeper is a guy that drives a Jeep Cherokee that has beaten me to many scores, apparently arriving more than a half hour before the start of sales.  Guy running the sale says "hope you didn't come for games, he just wiped us out".  :wall:  Only stuff left were a few shovelware Genesis games at $3 each, an N64 at $15 and a modded Xbox at $20.  For him to clear out the games at $3 each he had to have gotten some pretty good stuff.

I lick my wounds and head to a sale that advertised DVDs and CDs.  Large selection, not all the usual stuff you find.  DVDs were $3 each and CDs were $1 each.  Found the Wii game mixed with the DVDs.  Haven't seen Heavy Metal 2000 yet.

Picked this bundle up for $10.  Tekken 4 is sealed.

Next sale also had a PS2 slim, but he wanted $25 for just the console.  Picked up the games for $1 each and the unopened memory cards for $3.

80's music extravaganza!  $1 each.  For whatever reason I was thinking the Riddick Trilogy included the new movie.

Last sale of the day featured a laserdisc collection.  Guy had about 60 laserdisc movies and the player for $80.  I would have loved to take all of it home since It was not a bad price.  Only issue is laserdisc movies take up a bunch of space, his display took up all of a 5 foot shelf.  Instead I was able to get him to part with the crown jewel of the collection for $20.  He was explaining that this version was better than the other laserdisc version because of the video quality, it's on more discs, he paid $250 for it new through Colombia House, etc. etc...  I have no idea since I've never owned one.  Now I just need a player.

Finds 6-23-14

Monday sale, it was close enough to work that I could stop over during lunch.

Got everything for $20.  The Dreamcast was dirty and missing the A/V cable but came with the controllers and an off brand VMU.  The N64 controller has a tight stick and the blue PS2 controller is still sealed.  Hey look, another Final Fantasy VII.

Guy said his grandson took home a Nintendo (didn't specify which one) and that if he doesn't play it, he would give me a call.  Never heard from him.

Hit the 5 or 6 sales listed today. Beat out my enemies to a video game find. There are about 20 sales listed total within 30 miles and I'd say about 10 are listing some type of video games. It isn't worth the gas for me, but I found it interesting that people are putting games in their ads now. This weekend has the least sales listed since the beginning of the season.

It was ass for sure. $5 sun faded sports games galore. Bought a complete snes w/ 2 decent games for 30 and a bag of heman figures for 5, prob the highlights

Hit up a little sale today that listed gaming/electronics, got a kinda beat up black 360 controller, nice PS3 Move thing and 4gb microSD for 7$.

How long is the world's longest yard sale? Where does it begin and end? I'm guessing traffic is hell. I need to be able to out maneuver the other buyers with my superior driving skills.
It goes from Michigan to Alabama on highway 127 (N/S).

I need to be at two places at once tomorrow. I think that is even beyond my capabilities (especially since I tried the usual tricks). There is one I HAVE to go to in case they found their games...But there are two others that could be good. Tomorrow has potential for greatness or complete failure.

It goes from Michigan to Alabama on highway 127 (N/S).
I checked the map online and it looks like Cincinnati area would be best bet. That highway runs through some small towns. It would be fun to drive the whole route. They need to extend the route a little north to Lansing. My trip would start at northern end and end at Monticello.

What about the traffic? It would drive me crazy to sit in traffic while yard sailing.

Total of 5 sales within striking distance tomorrow. Not one of them looks worth it. I could use a 690 mile sale. Taking this weekend off. Full moon means perfect time for camping.

Well, If I'm going apparently it will be with family....  and they don't want to leave until 9:00.  Pretty much guarantee I find nothing by starting probably 10:30 - 11:00 (of course someone will want to stop for breakfast).  At least I'll have an hour to try to salvage the weekend before leaving.

As far as traversing the sale, it's a two lane highway so some portions can be rather treacherous for pedestrians.  Definitely need to be aware of traffic.

Decided to have a sale again because a neighbor is having one. Hardly any people so far compared to last weekend. Wondering if people think it's just me having a sale again and don't think it's worth checking it out.

Luckily I have a xbox 360 for sale that's plugged into a tv to keep me from getting bored...

Ugh this is turning into a waste of time. Only sold 4 items so far.

Everyone must be at Michigan's longest yard sale on highway 12, which is 30min north of me.

Off topic, I just got a call to do an interview Monday. Hopefully that works out, getting tired of buying and selling electronics lately.

Just a question, where do you guys find out about these yard sales? Everyone time my wife and I go to a sale we never find anything good or they want too much money. You would think being right next to Atlanta would have great stuff at yard sales

Finally got a drizzle in my game drought! Big box of Genesis stuff and a few boxed SNES games. Will post pics a little later. For now, I play.

Just a question, where do you guys find out about these yard sales? Everyone time my wife and I go to a sale we never find anything good or they want too much money. You would think being right next to Atlanta would have great stuff at yard sales
Craigslist, and gsalr.com are where I see most. You can even check your local paper for ads. I also look for town-wide sales that aren't too far away (but that usually lures the resellers too..). Atlanta has a couple nice flea markets you might actually have luck at. I went to one a few years back at a drive-in movie theater and found some Saturn games for yard-sale prices.

[quote name="Mclovin1108" post="11993229" timestamp="1407515596"]Just a question, where do you guys find out about these yard sales? Everyone time my wife and I go to a sale we never find anything good or they want too much money. You would think being right next to Atlanta would have great stuff at yard sales[/quote]

The local paper is where it's at here, where I get most of my sales from. There are only 1-5 CL posted sales per weekend in my city so that is obviously not the main delivery method here for sale ads.

Going with the paper also helps eliminate sales that might be "fake" sales since people have to pay to put an ad in.

Reading CL is still helpful though as often you will see the same houses post week after week meaning they are a former flea market dealer or a reseller with overpriced junk. This way you can avoid these types of sales and waste less time. People also post pictures which means you can usually tell if they have crap or not and some post prices which helps avoid the overpriced sales.

It seems that it's the same people post every week in my area on CL, or post 3-4 weeks in a row then quit. One thing is for sure here, no one is buying the overpriced stuff here.

I took a risk today and it was worth it. I managed to hit 3 of the 4 sales I wanted to hit. I did pretty well even though I got lost a few times. :oops:    Pics in 2017

Planned on doing a sale spree today, but i was cut short when the very first sale bled my wallet dry.

Picked this all up from one guy in the middle of nowhere, got there and he had a boxed black gamecube with Sunshine for 100$, I thought, uh-oh that ain't good, but chatted with him and he brought out a large stack of everything he didn't mind parting with, I asked how much per game, he said around 5$, here's what I got (this is only half of what he had, also had even more quality titles).

Vsxd5aN.jpg

All for 60$ (he took his gamecube out of the box and gave the box to me, that was really cool)

on to the list.

Phantasy Star Ep. 1 & 2

Phantasy Star Ep. 3

Lost Kingdoms

Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventure

Luigi's Mansion

Mario Kart Double Dash

Mario Party 4

Animal Crossing

Timesplitters: Future Perfect

Soul Calibur 2

Battalion Wars

Pikmin

Pikmin 2

Paper Mario Thousand Year Door

All complete, black label and in very good shape. I didn't have any of these in any condition.

I'm glad he took m offer of 60$, because with the 12$ I had left I bought this from him.

uaDui9u.jpg

vqJCMzL.jpg

Literally Hundreds of Nintendo Powers, ranging from 98 to early in the Wii era, as well as some (50ish) PS2/PS3 era PSM's

Also some guides mixed in with them,

Super Mario Sunshine

Banjo Kazooie

Banjo Tooie

Yoshi's Story

Pikmin 2

DK 64

Timesplitters Future Perfect

Destroy All Humans

Wind Waker

Four Swords Adventure

Zelda Oracles/Seasons

Pokemon LeafGreen/FireRed

and the cream of the crop, Digimon World 2

I left behind huge stacks of guides I would've loved to have because I ran out of money, probably would've went for more games too, but I'm super happy with what I got and couldn't be happier about the price (Total spend: 72$).

Finally found some decent items at a yard sale and at an estate sale.

Star Wars The Clone Wars Dog Tags (3, came with chain)-$2
Lego Star Wars Zipbin $1

3 Star Wars Action Figures ranging from 1996-02 (In box) $4 each

$100 at an out of the way sale on my way to an estate sale. Would have liked to have gotten it cheaper, the seller beat me up haggling lol.  I can't complain, though, considering the quantity and quality. It was all in a milk crate under a table (also came with a Genesis console & cables). All of the games have manuals except one of the Ecco the Dolphins. Some even have the other inserts, posters and such.

and once more close up.

Finds 7-12-14

After a week off due to rain and another weekend where there were no sales due to July 4th, it was time to get back into action.  Only issue was my parents were having their own yard sale and I had put a few boxes of DVDs and CDs in it, so it's only right that I show up to help set up.  I oversleep and wake up at 8:00.  Great start.  :roll:

Since I missed set up, I go out and hit a few on the way over.

Picked this up for $15.  That is the extreme high I would pay for a GBC but it is clean, has the battery cover and is in overall excellent condition.  I tried negotiating down but she said she already sold an original Game Boy with games (Mario, etc.) for $30 the day before.  I hate sales that start on Fridays.

Paid $2 for a sealed (but well beaten) Umbrella Chronicles at a fundraising sale.  The Elmo N64 game was alone on a $0.50 table a few houses over from my next find.  Grabbed it just in case it was a rare and because it was cheap enough.

I was on a block that had 5 consecutive houses that set up sales.  I see the old man from a few weeks back so I figure he has already snatched up anything decent.  But it seems he's only after stuff labeled Nintendo so I go ahead and check out the sales.

One sale had a stack of PS3 games on a table which was mostly shovelware.  Picked up Prince of Persia for $5 since I haven't played it.  After grabbing it, I notice a tote under the table with the Sears Video Arcade II.  I ask how much and the girl at the sale speaks up and says $2.  I was kinda amazed that price was quoted since just one controller had a GW sticker on it for $2.  I said "really"?  She said yea and looked over at the guy next to her who was about to speak up and said "it needs to go".  So everything in the pic for $7.

After that it was closing in on 10am, I headed over to the sale to help with stuff.

Only hit 2 sales  due to work, cannot believe I found this at 10 oclock at a sale that pictured a wii and opened at 8...

House owner said buyers (many) were at the end of the drive at 7:30 and he sold 60% by 8:00...most was not video game related...

Silver GBA with Pokemon Emerald in the slot..

DS lite charger

DS game game case with over 20 games (13 meh) including 3 Pokemon (HeartGold, Diamond, Platinum), both Super Marios, MKart, Professor CVillage...

$7 (lol I was so taken back I paid the asking without even trying $5... Not like me at all...)

These were all cartridge only but for most of the valuable ones, I have the packaging from past trades at BBuy and GS...man I wish I would have kept more (all) of my cases/manuals...(lol in the beginning it was so painful to trade at BB, the case helped speed the painstakingly long process....)

Finds 7-19-14

Found a sale on gsalr that listed Nintendo DS and cheap PS2, sounds good to me.  I walk outside to a drizzle, not even sure there would be any sales.  It was listed as a 7:00 start time but when I arrived everything was covered and they said the start time was 8.  They said since they already had the signs out they would open up.

Star Wars Battlefront II and Armored Core 2 were the only good PS2 games at $1 each.  As far as the Nintendo, they had a beat up DS and a like new DSi CIB.  The DSi was purchased from an airport kiosk and had barely been played.  Asking price was $40 which was steep but it also included all the games and accessories.  As I was debating the purchase I felt someone over my shoulder; it was the old man trying to get a peek at the DSi.  I decided to pay up an move on, not likely that I will run across another one that is practically new.  I found out later in the day that Professor Layton was missing from the case, maybe I'll find a loose cart someday.

Tons of like new movies at this sale for $3 each, only grabbed both seasons of Chappelle to replace the beat up copies I already have.  Poltergeist is sealed.

Polaroid Joycam with sealed pack of 500 film $0.75.  The Joycam was one of the last Polaroid instant cameras made and the oddball film is hard to find.

Picked up a Blue GBA SP AGS-001 for 2 (the battery doesn't work but it's an easy $4 replacement), a silver gamecube controller for another 2, and a red ps3 controller for 6.

Wish my town had more in terms of games but I'm always grateful for what I find :D 

Decided to have my sale one more day. Advertised it on 3 Facebook pages, Craigslist, and put out more signs. Still as slow as yesterday.

I wonder if I should change the layout of my stuff. I've seen quite a few people pull up, only to skim from there car for 5 seconds and then drive off.

S9tHnzM.jpg

Went to one sale advertising "Gameboy". It was kind of far away but I knew it would be a pretty drive, so what the heck. Ended up purchasing a red Gameboy Advance SP w/ original charger & car charger (working) and about 12 games for $7. The only game really worth anything was Pokemon Emerald and I need to replace the battery, but I feel like I got good value for my money.

The motivation for going to sales is just not there, too darn hot. I tell myself that the season will end soon and I should go while I can, but I'm a wimp about heat.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:24619]

[quote name="dasme313" post="11995420" timestamp="1407603873"]Guys, girls, IT HAPPENED.

I caught my white whale.
[/quote]

You probably shouldn't call your new girlfriend a whale.

Got a vornado fan, a ps3 stereo headset, and a few DVDs and club Nintendo codes for $12 this morning. Not too bad for only going to 3 sales.

Went to about 10 local garage sales, and only bought something from 1 of them.

Silent Hill ps1
Silent Hill 2 ps2
Reel fishing ps1
The game of life ps1
Guitar hero 3 ps2
Guitar hero encore rock the 80s ps2
Resident evil 4 ps2
DDR extreme 2 ps2
Bully ps2
Crash bandicoot warped ps1
Crash bandicoot ps1
Tekken 3 ps1
Metal gear solid tactical espionage action(disc 2 only) ps1
The sims 2 ps2
Gran turismo(disc 1 and 2) ps1
Tomb raider ps1
Tomb raider 2 ps1
Tomb raider 3 ps1
Tomb raider the last revelation ps1
Tomb raider legend ps2
Tomb raider the angel of darkness ps2
Ps2 8mb memory card
Ps1 memory card

All of the games were disc only and I paid $15 for all of them.

Hit up a neighborhood wide garage sale today and did pretty good. For $6 I got Final Fantasy 8 and 9, Parasite Eve all complete. Also opened up the playstation that was sitting there and found a loose copy of Symphony of the Night. They let me have it as a freebie so that was rad.

bread's done
Back