2015 Thrift Store Thread -- Share Your Findings Here

You should have considered it! An XEGS is not an easy system to find. I had the XE computer but it got lost in 1999, when it was shipped back to me. Sigh...

Depending on price, I would have been all over that XE.  Only seen one once in the wild and it was at a game store complete without box for $130.

The Atari XE was price too high ($100) for me to bite on it.

Today I saw a complete copy of sega saturn astal but the disc is scratched :( for $15.00, a wii system with wii resort for $25, and Wario figure for $5. 

Gonna stop thrifting for a bit until gas is cheaper. Wasted like $20 on gas today looking for an art/slanted table top desk.

30lcqKP.jpg

5YTjX8c.jpg

aO6R5mZ.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Update on my gba sp ags 101 find from page 17 I changed the shell to purple and installed a new screen I used the official sp buttons and used the ags 101 stickers from the remains of a previous sp shell I own.  It looks and works beautiful this was my second attempt accidentally destroyed the first shell had to order a second shell. Many thanks to needler420 for suggesting a shell change and the kind youtubers who put up video guides on how to do it.

purplesp3_zpsd1apoua3.jpg

purplesp2_zpsq4ccl2oc.jpg

purplesp1_zpswmk4agqo.jpg

Today I found a mint complete picross ds total spent $1 plus tax

picrossds_zpsyw1qwa34.jpg

I saw did not buy nintendo 64 console with controller $12.99, resident evil 2 dual shock edition missing manual discs looked very scratched $9.99.

[attachment=15909:IMG_4601.JPG]

Disc-only Hitman: Blood Money and Powerdrome for PS2. 49 cents each, and I got two random music CDs as well since the sleeves were double-sided. Nothing interesting, though.

Also got a manga haul, pictures under the cut.

[attachment=15910:IMG_4602.JPG]

[attachment=15911:IMG_4603.JPG]

79 cents a book. Pleased with this score.

Finds from the last month or so compiled...

Only picture I have is this:

FrqZqgB.jpg

That's from a couple weeks ago, 2 small thrifts in Tillamook, I got the CD's for 2$ a piece, Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast, Beastie Boys, Sublime's Self Titled, and Dinosaur Jr..

Then I got Umjammer Lammy in pretty bad condition for 1$, no manual.

Other finds not pictured are a 3rd party 360 wired controller for 2.99$ from goodwill today, and some more CD's from a goodwill a week ago. I got Rage Against the Machine's Self Titled (Been looking for this one since I started!), Sneaker Pimps' Becoming X, The Chili Peppers "By the Way" and Skrape's "New killer America" all for .50 cents a piece disc only, and Gorillaz Self Titled for 2$. Passed on a guide for The Warriors for 3.99.

Oh man, Constructicons. My brother and I spent a month of allowance getting all the figures... and about fifteen minutes playing with the fully assembled super-robot. It kept falling apart from its own weight so we quickly lost interest. Great find, though!

Got these at goodwill today, marked 14.99 but half off.

Sony MDR-RF970RK Wireless Headphones.

Honestly a bit disappointed with the frequency response, they are extremely accurate from the midrage up, vocals, electric guitar etc, sound great. but 60-100Hz is fuzzy and noisy, and anything below 60 is either extremely flat or non-existent, figured worst case I can flip them, but I had my hopes up, I like my Skullcandy Hesh 2's much better.

g0IYmwP.jpg

Found these yesterday, everything was half off so I only spent $4 total on it all.  Nothing too special but anytime I see cartridge games I try to snag them and the dust cover was a nice bonus haha.

IMG_1100_zpsrryfwxx4.jpg

Bummer, missed CiB copies of Mario kart, Zelda link to the past and other Mario snes games, the cashier I know told me two kids bought it

Damn kids :p

Been finding a lot of Xbox 360 guitars as of late. Picked up 8 today for $5 a piece. 2 of which I found out were kiosk demo guitars, which I had never heard of but it turns out they are rarer.

Got me a barebone DS Lite (no charger/stylus) for $6.99 today. Just tested it and is in working condition. Don't need it but will probably flip it on eBay/Amazon sometimes this weekend.

Let me know if you guys are interested. I'll do $20 shipped (wasted like $20 on gas last week) or OBO.

tRWfz4i.jpg

xDTbT1r.jpg
rYJx7VB.jpg
XMyu0Wh.jpg

A custom Clue card set based off of Shaun of the Dead-$3

Hangover on Blu-Ray $2

and today I went to one of my favorite thrift stores and got the following for $2.50

Time Bandits on Blu-Ray

Ferris Beuller's Day Off on DVD

Jurassic Park on DVD

Howl's Moving Castle on DVD

Spirited Away on DVD

[attachment=16193:IMG_4632.JPG]

Not from a thrift, but a library book sale. These were $2 each. Top row is missing the manuals, bottom row is complete.

Dark Cloud 2? Oh man, you're KILLING me. I had that one but sold it. I think I stopped around the time you fight a giant butterfly, or something like that.

I left a dark cloud 2 at a garage sale like 6 years ago and I am still mad about it. I think they wanted $7 for it and wouldn't budge on price.

20114303079_cb80ae1e9d_k.jpg

First time this has happened to me at my local thrift store - grabbed the case, opened it up, and found a free game inside. $4. Case is sold, game is in my collection. 

Testing out an official wireless 360 controller I just got at GW for 3.99, seems to be working, it's pretty beat up so I'll probably do a custom case swap on this one.

[attachment=16380:20150805_174935.jpg]

This pic all found at one Goodwill, $2 a piece all complete, but Breakdown is Factory Sealed

[attachment=16379:20150805_174608.jpg]

This pic all found at another Goodwill, all game .99 a piece, but Futurama and champions return to arms are missing manuals. I paid $3 for the Planet Robot wind up toy which had its windup key!

Best find I've ever had from my local Goodwill today, bar none.

First off, found an N64 for 10$, that got picked up by my brother's friend who was with us. Didn't see anything else spectacular, moved onto the DVD's and found Bejewled 3 for 360, 3$, mint and complete, hard to say no to that.

But then the finds rolled in.

Started off by finding 2 Genesis albums, Turn it on Again, and We Can't Dance, solid finds. Finally picked up AC/DC Back in Black, seen it numerous times, figured it was time.

Then right before we left, I looked over the cart of stuff that hadn't got put out yet, and hit paydirt.

First I found the copy of Psychonauts for PS2, a valuable, somewhat rare game that I actually wanted. 3.99, it's mint and complete.

Then one last look at the few CD's on the cart revealed the find of all goodwill finds.

Tomba! for the PS1, no manual, but the case and disc are very, very nice. 2$ for it, I'd take that every single day.

The other CD's are finds from the last few weeks that've been rattling around in my car. Funeral for a Friend, Kid Cudi, Trapt Bob Marley and the Wailers (Sealed) and the Verve Pipe.

3y3oxmJ.jpg

jAdTAIF.jpg

Someday I'm off, I'm gonna spend a day of checking all the pawn, thrift, and flea areas, as these threads are pretty inspiring, but I'm also afraid of what I won't find.

So a couple quick questions for you more seasoned and frequent thrifters:

Do you find a lot of good stuff but walk away due to bad or unfavorable pricing?

Is your main goal and priority to build a collection, flip games to used game specialty stores and build credit (and also collection), or hope to find stuff to resale for cash profit?

Really I ask because I wouldn't mind paying a little more for RPGs and/or some anime BDs, maybe even some CDs or manga if it exists, but I have a feeling even after lurking these threads for awhile the best I might do is find some old-yet-common trashed retro carts and maybe some History Channel DVDs.

I am also curious if there's a best day/time to go. I'm also a little nervous of running into other local video game resellers or stepping unwelcomingly into someone else's hobby territory without being primed with the proper etiquette or, worst of all, paying too much and earning a day-one promotion from patron to sucker.

Even without a handbook I think it'd be worth a couple entries and return visits. I'm just worried that, unlike a retail store, first impressions on the clerks and workers at these types of stores could be just as critical as the first impressions their wares have on me.

Someday I'm off, I'm gonna spend a day of checking all the pawn, thrift, and flea areas, as these threads are pretty inspiring, but I'm also afraid of what I won't find.

More than half the time, you won't find anything, especially at first, the more you go out in your area, the more you learn where to look for the good stuff, I've learned my area very well, so I'm usually able to find at least something every time.

So a couple quick questions for you more seasoned and frequent thrifters:

Do you find a lot of good stuff but walk away due to bad or unfavorable pricing?

Around here, no, none of the thrifts here use ebay as a price guide, so 90% of games go for a 2-5$ flat rate.

Is your main goal and priority to build a collection, flip games to used game specialty stores and build credit (and also collection), or hope to find stuff to resale for cash profit?

A little of everything to keep it interesting.

Really I ask because I wouldn't mind paying a little more for RPGs and/or some anime BDs, maybe even some CDs or manga if it exists, but I have a feeling even after lurking these threads for awhile the best I might do is find some old-yet-common trashed retro carts and maybe some History Channel DVDs.

Like I said, that's true most of the time.

I am also curious if there's a best day/time to go. I'm also a little nervous of running into other local video game resellers or stepping unwelcomingly into someone else's hobby territory without being primed with the proper etiquette or, worst of all, paying too much and earning a day-one promotion from patron to sucker.

Completely depends on your area, each store around here is completely random, so it's basically luck. Don't be afraid to look stuff up when you really don't know.

Even without a handbook I think it'd be worth a couple entries and return visits. I'm just worried that, unlike a retail store, first impressions on the clerks and workers at these types of stores could be just as critical as the first impressions their wares have on me.

A friendly greeting and a happy demeanor is all you need to get good customer service.

Thank you very much for the quick and thorough reply.

I want to get a route or ameteur-level knack for this. I work a stretch of seven 12-hour night shifts (7p-7a), then go a stretch of seven off days.

Most of the time I just try playing games or sleeping, since most adult friends of mine are at work in the day time.

The most exciting aspect is the thought of doing something constructive, game-oriented, and outdoors (somewhat) with a flexible level of dedication.

I'll try to let you know what the scene around here is like in about a week if I go, and if I don't, I'm sure I'll keep lurking this thread for a very long time.

Found a gba 101 for $10 a few days ago. It's in good condition but no charger. Also picked up a wireless n adapter for the Xbox 360 for $10.
Kinda stopped going out to thrift stores this year, rarely find anything and when I do it's usually overpriced. Best find this year so far was a LNIB Lionel train set for $21.

Nothing gaming lately, but I bought a DVD of George Romero's Knightriders for 1.99 at Goodwill today.  There were a ton of others 80's movies (Dolph Lundgren Punisher, both Bill & Ted movies, etc) but ultimately passed on them. 

I got a graphite GBA SP for 1.98 yesterday. No charger so I have no idea if it works but for that price I'll take the gamble.

Stopped by the same goodwill today for shi*ts and giggles, ended up finding a pretty big stash of hard rock and metal CD's on the cart, bought 8 of them.

Mastodon - Leviathan

Godsmack - self titled

Godsmack - Faceless

Godsmack - IV

Serj Tankian - Elect the Dead

Megadeth - United Abominations

Disturbed - The Sickness

Mudvayne - End of all things to Come

Left behind a lot of ones I was kind of iffy about.

XiPyqIf.jpg

Mastodon - Leviathan
That looks like my Crack the Skye album which I had to order from their website because it said something about being a special edition. The real cover to Leviathan has a whale on it. My limited cd also came with a couple stickers and inside the case that has a similar design to that Leviathan case was a separate "instrumental only" CD. I can only assume that it's somehow related.

That looks like my Crack the Skye album which I had to order from their website because it said something about being a special edition. The real cover to Leviathan has a whale on it. My limited cd also came with a couple stickers and inside the case that has a similar design to that Leviathan case was a separate "instrumental only" CD. I can only assume that it's somehow related.
I'm not sure if its something special or not, that design is a slipcover, the CD inside looks pretty normal, it has a nice color booklet with all the lyrics and its a 2 disc, but I think the discs have different songs on them.

[attachment=16435:IMG_0899 (2).jpg]

Picked this up yesterday.  Disks are in great shape, not a scratch.

Yeah I don't know if its fact or not but I think Leviathan "limited edition" is a CD/DVD combo, probably not exactly a collector item but still I assume it's rarer than the regular CD only version, just a really cool layer of icing on your cake.

I got a brand new and factory sealed Doom 2 (big box version) for the pc at GW yesterday for $5. The box has no damage at all. The GW is the one I hate going to due to the high prices.

Got off work early and I found me 2 bluray Game of Thrones Season 1 and Season 2 boxsets for $4.99/$5.99 each at GW. 

f2ZxBgk.jpg

Here is some stuffs that I saw:

a bunch of gamecube, xbox, ps3, 360, snes, nes, wii, ps1, n64, sega saturn, atari, etc., retro games/systems ($5-$10 for games, $15-$25 for systems)

4x Mario Party 9 3DS (sealed) $20

A tested slim Xbox 360 with Halo 4/Kinect Sensor for $100

Xbox One Controller $25

2x New Xbox One Controller $20

PS4 Assassin's Creed Unity $15

3DS Myst $15

PC GTA V $15

50+ NEW A retro bit system that plays snes and nes games for $20 i think

OJS1Ihw.jpg

8W1Oh7B.jpg

8YjglIx.jpg

ulR2ifE.jpg
1eHtaqP.jpg

Yo spooge, 

I got more free games from GS to fix.

Yours:
Mega Man X4 PS1
Uncharted 2 PS3
Max Payne 3 PS3
GTA San Andreas PS2

Mine:
Ski Doo Wii
Pajama Sams Wii
Sniper Elite
Incredible Crisis

Let me know

KWze1uW.jpg

I got a brand new and factory sealed Doom 2 (big box version) for the pc at GW yesterday for $5. The box has no damage at all. The GW is the one I hate going to due to the high prices.
i saw this at salvation army (brand new/sealed) a week ago but they wanted like $10 for it. I also saw a sealed copy of starcraft for MAC for $10.

attachicon.gif
IMG_4632.JPG

Not from a thrift, but a library book sale. These were $2 each. Top row is missing the manuals, bottom row is complete.
Holy shit good score on the dark cloud. I saw this at my pawn shop store a year ago and they wanted like $15 for it and my dumbass thought it was too much lol.

Got off work early and I found me 2 bluray Game of Thrones Season 1 and Season 2 boxsets for $4.99/$5.99 each at GW.

Here is some stuffs that I saw:

a bunch of gamecube, xbox, ps3, 360, snes, nes, wii, ps1, n64, sega saturn, atari, etc., retro games/systems ($5-$10 for games, $15-$25 for systems)

4x Mario Party 9 3DS (sealed) $20

A tested slim Xbox 360 with Halo 4/Kinect Sensor for $100

Xbox One Controller $25

2x New Xbox One Controller $20

PS4 Assassin's Creed Unity $15

3DS Myst $15

PC GTA V $15

50+ NEW A retro bit system that plays snes and nes games for $20 i think

\
Was that an OC GW the layout looks similar to the one i went to

Yo spooge,

I got more free games from GS to fix.

Yours:
Mega Man X4 PS1
Uncharted 2 PS3
Max Payne 3 PS3
GTA San Andreas PS2

Mine:
Ski Doo Wii
Pajama Sams Wii
Sniper Elite
Incredible Crisis

Let me know

KWze1uW.jpg
Sure thing! You know the drill!

And holy shit, I wish my Goodwill looked even remotely as packed with gaming stuff as yours.

bread's done
Back