2016 Thrift Store Thread -- Share Your Findings Here

Got a Sony alarm clock/music player/image viewer/iPod dock for about $8. It was marked $9.55 but there was a 25% discount that day, bringing the price down. I'm using it right now... it's not perfect but it's easily the most high-tech alarm clock I've ever owned. It's got a seven inch color LCD display, man!
Yeah that Sony Dash alarm clock is pretty nice. If I saw one of those for that price I'd grab one myself. Great find!

Well, it's not quite that advanced. It's called a Dream Machine; it's basically an alarm clock / music player / digital frame with iPod connectivity. There's no touch screen input and no internet, but I've heard people are having trouble with the Dash lately so it's no big loss.

Well, it's not quite that advanced. It's called a Dream Machine; it's basically an alarm clock / music player / digital frame with iPod connectivity. There's no touch screen input and no internet, but I've heard people are having trouble with the Dash lately so it's no big loss.
Dream Machine was pretty much Sony's generic name for an alarm clock. I had a Sony Dream Machine back in the 90s, way before ipods, etc. It was an LCD alarm clock in the shape of a white cube with an analog AM/FM tuner, nothing more.

I would say so! But I do wish this system had a shuffle function. You can load it up with tunes using a memory card, but they all play alphabetically, which is... aggravating. Still, I can't complain.

I think cherry picker getting fired may have been a bigger blessing than previously thought, either that or just some really strange coincidences. Today, I dropped in to return a broken Namco Plug and Play and ran through really quick.  As soon as I walked to the electronics aisle, sitting right in front of me was a plastic baggy with 18 DS games in it marked 5.99.  

Some shovelware, but some good stuff including Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, which alone was worth the price.  

Stopped by Sally's and picked up some books for the kids (Pokemon chapter books and a Star Wars Origami book). I also found a couple CDs for myself for $0.50 each: Living Colour "Buscuit" EP and a 6-track Red Hot Chili Peppers Promotional CD sampler from 1987 that appears to be signed by Anthony Keidis and Flea. No clue if the signatures are legit, but I'm really happy with my find.

[attachment=19765:IMG_5718.JPG]

These were $3 each. The PS2 games are all complete, but Borderlands actually has the game disc of the GOTY edition inside. Mildly disappointed I couldn't find the add-on disc as well, but not a bad haul I think.

Now I just have to decide whether I want to brave Disgaea. After playing some of Atlus's other games (Trauma Center), I'm a little worried as to the frustration level...

Half off media and I didnt buy 1 game at 3 different GWs! Thats how much of a joke theyve become around here. I did luck out for once and got a black wireless Xbox One controller with the Play and Charge Kit like NIB for $20. Thought that was odd considering they wanted $20 for the $25 headsets and $40 for the $50 headsets! I would love just 1 nice retro find again! And I passed on a Parrot Rolling Spider drone, they retail for $100 and GW wanted $40 but it was just the drone and the wheels in the opened box. No usb cable, booklets, or inside packaging. Plus I got a mini drone and I barely play with as is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Half off media and I didnt buy 1 game at 3 different GWs! Thats how much of a joke theyve become around here. I did luck out for once and got a black wireless Xbox One controller with the Play and Charge Kit like NIB for $20. Thought that was odd considering they wanted $20 for the $25 headsets and $40 for the $50 headsets! I would love just 1 nice retro find again! And I passed on a Parrot Rolling Spider drone, they retail for $100 and GW wanted $40 but it was just the drone and the wheels in the opened box. No usb cable, booklets, or inside packaging. Plus I got a mini drone and I barely play with as is.
I have a Syma X5C quad and I used it alot for the first few weeks. It's been hanging on my wall untouched for almost 6 months, so I know that feeling.

And bad news for the district Goodwills; I heard rumors of it coming, but I just saw the first posted sign yesterday that starting in February, all sales are final. That's going to backfire, I'm sure, as personally without some sort of return policy, I won't be buying nearly as many electrical items. One of the other thrift stores near here has the same policy and I rarely shop there, and when I do buy something, it's an item I know I can fix, or at least use it for parts if it doesn't work.

Ha. The only thing I see is sport games. Living in the DMV kinda sucks because people know what the retro stuff is worth.

20160117_131543.jpg

Everthing was 2.99 or less from goodwill and and another thrift. Rodea was from Walmart, since they recently dropped the price on it to

29.99. comes with the wii(better version) and wiiu versions

And bad news for the district Goodwills; I heard rumors of it coming, but I just saw the first posted sign yesterday that starting in February, all sales are final. That's going to backfire, I'm sure, as personally without some sort of return policy, I won't be buying nearly as many electrical items. One of the other thrift stores near here has the same policy and I rarely shop there, and when I do buy something, it's an item I know I can fix, or at least use it for parts if it doesn't work.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to check that with my locals. All sales are final would definitely limit my GW shopping...

Really? All my GWs have an All Sales Final policy and have for as long as I have been shopping there. I figured all thrift stores have that policy. It's a dirty policy, to be sure, but there are some scam artists that will switch around bought merchandise for non-working ones.

Really? All my GWs have an All Sales Final policy and have for as long as I have been shopping there. I figured all thrift stores have that policy. It's a dirty policy, to be sure, but there are some scam artists that will switch around bought merchandise for non-working ones.
Yeah, it's a double edged sword. While I can see people swapping stickers, there's other people who refuse to pay $20 for something that may or may no work, that can't be tested in store. One of the other regulars (that spends just as much as I do in that store each week) and I were joking that we're going to have to bring in tool kits to test stereos and food to test the crock pots and skillets before we buy.

I talked to some of the people at my regular store today and they agreed it's ridiculous, especially for electronics. Apparently, they were told from the higher ups that if sales tank on electronics, to start pricing things cheaper just to get the stuff to move. But enough about the bad stuff...

Today I just beat one of my competitors to a bunch of blurays and TV seasons. Paid 1.99 each for:

DVD:

• Always Sunny Seasons 1&2
  • Always Sunny Season 3
  • Always Sunny Season 4
  • Always Sunny Christmas (A Very Sunny Christmas)
Blu:

• Happy Gilmore
  • Pain & Gain
  • Your Highness Unrated
  • The Italian Job (Wahlberg)
  • Drive
  • 50/50
  • Inside Man
  • This is the End
There were a few others that I already had (Expendables, Horrible Bosses), so I extended an olive branch to my competitor and offered them to him instead of putting them back on the shelf.

Some also had UV codes in them, but I haven't tried redeeming them yet. Now to try to find room for these on the shelf...

Lucked out and found just dance 2016 for Wii and madden 16 for PS3 as target salvage at the G-Dubs. Those will do nicely to pay off my bravely second and twilight princess gamestop preorders.

Yeah, it's a double edged sword. While I can see people swapping stickers, there's other people who refuse to pay $20 for something that may or may no work, that can't be tested in store. One of the other regulars (that spends just as much as I do in that store each week) and I were joking that we're going to have to bring in tool kits to test stereos and food to test the crock pots and skillets before we buy.

I talked to some of the people at my regular store today and they agreed it's ridiculous, especially for electronics. Apparently, they were told from the higher ups that if sales tank on electronics, to start pricing things cheaper just to get the stuff to move. But enough about the bad stuff...

Today I just beat one of my competitors to a bunch of blurays and TV seasons. Paid 1.99 each for:

DVD:

• Always Sunny Seasons 1&2
  • Always Sunny Season 3
  • Always Sunny Season 4
  • Always Sunny Christmas (A Very Sunny Christmas)
Blu:

• Happy Gilmore
  • Pain & Gain
  • Your Highness Unrated
  • The Italian Job (Wahlberg)
  • Drive
  • 50/50
  • Inside Man
  • This is the End
There were a few others that I already had (Expendables, Horrible Bosses), so I extended an olive branch to my competitor and offered them to him instead of putting them back on the shelf.

Some also had UV codes in them, but I haven't tried redeeming them yet. Now to try to find room for these on the shelf...
Always finding the good stuff. Congrats! Do u go out of your way everyday to these places?

Always finding the good stuff. Congrats! Do u go out of your way everyday to these places?
I used to live across the street from that one, and would go there a few times a day. I'm about 5 miles away now, so I try to make excuses to go to that store as often as possible. My storage unit where I keep my Amazon inventory is about a mile away, so whenever I go there I'll drop in to GW.

Picked up A Geforce GT545 PCI-E card for $7.99 at Salvation Army, works great! Been having a dry spell lately, so good to finally get something.

Haha, yeah my first thought was, hey that
haha, yeah I need to take care of that this weekend. I think it's just a sensor though, since non of my tires look low
Haha yeah I was just messing around, at first thinking, hey that looks like a Mazda console, then I noticed that little detail.

And yeah possibly fine, but in Cheap Ass Gamer-esque fashion, a free solution is to keep an eye out for a gas station that actully has free air and go inside and ask the clerk if they have a pressure gauge that you can borrow for a moment.

Sorry to distract from the topic slightly. ^^

Picked up Scooby Doo Dynomut Hour Complete Series, Samurai Jack S1, Prince Caspian the Game PS3, and Tremors the Complete series for 7 at a local thrift store.

Definitely one of my better pick ups in a long time.

super mario sunshine, 

pokemon colosseum

Mario Baseball 

Spyro A New Beginning

and 

an orange Gamecube controller (Ive wanted this one for SUCH a long time

for 3 bucks each. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD4n_Mhc5Vg

Pretty sure I forgot to post the newest video. Check out me doing some thrifting, and some of the ridiculous prices in these thrift stores.

Oh but I do find a few cool things....  ;)

While its more than I wanted to pay, I picked up a sealed copy of Skyward Sword for $16 with a 20% off discount. Sadly, my store's usual 50% discount did not apply. Oh well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD4n_Mhc5Vg

Pretty sure I forgot to post the newest video. Check out me doing some thrifting, and some of the ridiculous prices in these thrift stores.

Oh but I do find a few cool things.... ;)

Nice. Got two savers in my area. Sadly since living in the DMV, barely see anything game related. Do notice some dealers would come in and try to pick clean the stuff. Some of the stuff is a bit high like dvd $3.99, CD 1.99. Saw a ps3, but was asking for $80. Nice pickup on super mario rpg and the ps1 games.

While its more than I wanted to pay, I picked up a sealed copy of Skyward Sword for $16 with a 20% off discount. Sadly, my store's usual 50% discount did not apply. Oh well.
Aside from some people that were able to get the $9.97 Sears deal, $16 was probably the best anyone else got for a new copy, especially if it is the soundtrack version.

my car did the same thing. put air in it and still on.
Did you recalibrate afterwards to reset your pressure sensor? Usually you just have to hold the button for 3-5 seconds.

Remember when I wanted a retro score in my last post.......Nintendo stuff made it to the shelf around here?! Left an av cable, Blitz 2000, and a $4 baggy of Pokemon cards (looked like 90% energy cards) but grabbed this stuff for $10.15. No system found, I did 2 laps around the store since some of this was in toys and some was electronics.

Aside from some people that were able to get the $9.97 Sears deal, $16 was probably the best anyone else got for a new copy, especially if it is the soundtrack version.
Yeah, I figured so. Only if the store's 50% off applied to it and not 20%. :lol: And it is the Soundtrack version.

I'm so surprised this was actually donated to the store. And I'm even more surprised that it was still there on a Tuesday.

Yeah, I figured so. Only if the store's 50% off applied to it and not 20%. :lol: And it is the Soundtrack version.

I'm so surprised this was actually donated to the store. And I'm even more surprised that it was still there on a Tuesday.
If it was in DMV area, that thing be gone by opening. Nice pickup.

IIRC $15 after coupon at Best Buy and shortly before that Kmart had Skyward Sword which was advertised in a flyer for $20 which was an error in the price of which I don't remember the details for the best deals I can remember being readily available.

I don't live in a big area and remember my Kmart had a small army of Skyward Swords at least 30 of them which is a lot to see for any game around here especially at a Kmart. A number of months later they all disappeared so I'm guessing they got sent to another store or warehouse.

12_zpsrkervh7d.jpg

$9.99 for Just Dance 2015 still has Xbox seal on it.

$2 for Contra (Complete)

Saw a Mad Cats PS2 Steering Whell with the box for $10. Would of taken up too much room.

Bought a Wii Sports a few days ago for $2. Got a pleasant surprise when I checked it.

DaW9KPz.jpg

Two copies, one in each pouch-thing.

I'll post my Thrift Store/Pawn Ship haul later, but I did see a N64 with two controllers (original) for $19.99.  No way of knowing if it worked and not sure if it was a good price so I passed. 

I'll post my Thrift Store/Pawn Ship haul later, but I did see a N64 with two controllers (original) for $19.99. No way of knowing if it worked and not sure if it was a good price so I passed.
*sigh* Just the controllers themselves are worth that much. More than that, actually.

Picked up these two for $.50 each.

aJxc8nQ.jpg

No games in the case. Probably stolen. But I figured it was worth it for the DS cases alone. They're in really nice condition. Wished the games were in there so I could flip them to recoup some of the cost.

I can always go back to get the N64, but I have no games for it likely wouldn't make any use of it.  I guess I could try and sell it.

Outside of random DVDs and CDs, I had a few gaming buys:

History Channel Civil War Game PS2  - $2

Super Mario Galaxy - $3

Fight NIght Round 4 PS3 - $5

Transformers Game PS3 - $5

Naruto Game PS3 - $5

My best finds were non-game related.  I got a Canon Elph Camera for $5.  Need to get a charger for it, but 16MP and 5x optical zoom for a tiny camera was a steal for me.  Might keep going back to that place and hope they clearance out an HD camcorder the same way.

$5 for the Insanity DVD set - probably my best find.  The set usually costs a ton.  Didn't come with the other crap it usually does but I don't need anything but the DVDs. 

I can always go back to get the N64, but I have no games for it likely wouldn't make any use of it. I guess I could try and sell it.

Outside of random DVDs and CDs, I had a few gaming buys:

History Channel Civil War Game PS2 - $2

Super Mario Galaxy - $3

Fight NIght Round 4 PS3 - $5

Transformers Game PS3 - $5

Naruto Game PS3 - $5

My best finds were non-game related. I got a Canon Elph Camera for $5. Need to get a charger for it, but 16MP and 5x optical zoom for a tiny camera was a steal for me. Might keep going back to that place and hope they clearance out an HD camcorder the same way.

$5 for the Insanity DVD set - probably my best find. The set usually costs a ton. Didn't come with the other crap it usually does but I don't need anything but the DVDs.
test the canon camera. Overtime, the lens part would be broken.

went by one of my good wills today and found a n64 with cords and 2 controllers, with 7 games

banjo tooie Kazooie
golden eye
mario party
mario 64
mario kart
mario tennis

14.95 for it all

and got
mario party ds
batman 2 lego

2.99 each

bread's done