2020 Thrift Store Thread -- Share Your Findings Here

Nothing open yet around here as far I cant tell. I did see a stack of crap piled up in front of the empty space by my local GW. Who TF does that?! You really took it all out of your car and just left it on the ground because they were obviously closed and have been so for over a month? Isnt that considered littering? $500 fine if you ask me.

I'm not surprised, some people are just jerks. My next door neighbors' relatives were cleaning out his house this past weekend (he recently went into a nursing home), and they just dumped the stuff they though people might want outside. I had to put up a craigslist ad to get people to take some stuff away, and the rest I just ended up throwing back into the house's vestibule.

Looks like a thrift store I've found a few rare PS1/PS2 games in the past reopened up earlier this week.   Looks like people have been cleaning out old stuff, as I've never seen their media section this crammed.  

Did manage to find the first Iron Man & Thor movies on DVD for $.69, Avengers: Age of Ultron BR for $1.99, Madagascar on Gamecube for $.99 and Sonic Generations for 360 for $2.99.   But the Sonic Generations games appears to be through multiple places, as it had a Redbox sticker on the disc, a GS sticker on the insert and some other store(Pawn shop?) sticker on the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thrift Town, Goodwill, and Orphan's Exchange are the only thrifts that have opened again here in NM. My mom and I haven't had the chance to check them out just yet. Gonna be interesting to see what we find when we do decide to go. One of the local pawn shops has also re-opened so it'll be worth checking them out as well.

Welp local GW has been open since the first and ive already spent over $200! Below is about $150. All the games are complete except Sonic 3 which is missing the booklet. All 3 Sonics have almost mint condition promo posters inside. More than I'd like to give for donated stuff.... but this is after not being able to go there for over 2 months! I needed a fix!

QDtt8KC.jpg

Today I went to the thrift store within walking distance of my house, and the one woman recognized me and that I am always looking for movies and video games and pulled out four boxes of movies that they hadn't put out yet. In there were six complete GameCube games:

Super Mario Sunshine

SSX Tricky

NBA Street

Agent Under Fire

Nightfire

NCAA Football 2003

also picked up a DVD copy of the Day After (the 1980's made for TV flick)

All for $21

Also found a copy of the Handmaid's Tale season 1 on DVD at another thrift store for $4.

So happy to finally be out thrifting again!

Picked up a Wii bundle this weekend for 23.50. Came with the white console, 3 wiimotes, 2 nunchucks, hookups, controller charger, and when I plugged it in I found a copy of Mario bro’s in the console. I was satisfied.

About time my local GW finally open and found a stack of PS2 JRPGS on the shelf. Surprisingly all of the game discs were extremely mint so I couldn't pass on them. Bought all of them for $3 each. Not bad.

IMG-5981-1-Large.jpg

About time my local GW finally open and found a stack of PS2 JRPGS on the shelf. Surprisingly all of the game discs were extremely mint so I couldn't pass on them. Bought all of them for $3 each. Not bad.

IMG-5981-1-Large.jpg
Nice score. My trip to the local amvets Was not nearly as productive.old ea sports games were sitting in stacks for $5.99 each. I did drop off a dining room table and some Christmas decorations so it wasn't a total lose. I also found some discard rubber gloves and a used condom in the parking lot.
Is that DQ VIII thicker than usual? I played through on the 3ds, I had a lot of fun with it. I thought I no longer enjoyed JRPGs after Octopath Traveler but DQVIII really hit the sweet spot for me, great writing, humor, and Jessica

About $20- sealed Tenda wireless router, 18 Wheeler for GameCube, Beetles at BBC 2 disc cd, Mortal Kombat for GameGear, A Bugs Life for Gameboy, Driver for GBC, Wii pad

kMokq0g.jpg

gamecube-haul.png

Hey, I actually have something to contribute for once! Found these GameCube titles at a bookstore in southern Arizona. I understand that Fire Emblem and Baten Kaitos Origins are worth a lot of drachma...

Nice score. My trip to the local amvets Was not nearly as productive.old ea sports games were sitting in stacks for $5.99 each. I did drop off a dining room table and some Christmas decorations so it wasn't a total lose. I also found some discard rubber gloves and a used condom in the parking lot.
Is that DQ VIII thicker than usual? I played through on the 3ds, I had a lot of fun with it. I thought I no longer enjoyed JRPGs after Octopath Traveler but DQVIII really hit the sweet spot for me, great writing, humor, and Jessica
Same. DQVIII was a very good game when I played and finished it back in 2005/2006. I only things I could remembered about it were I got the game from the Circuit City $5 glitch, load of hours hunting Metal Slimes, and its basic turn-based battle system lol.

gamecube-haul.png

Hey, I actually have something to contribute for once! Found these GameCube titles at a bookstore in southern Arizona. I understand that Fire Emblem and Baten Kaitos Origins are worth a lot of drachma...
Dude nice score on the Fire Emblem. That game has insanely jump in value pretty fast last time I checked.

Scored me four complete DBZ games (2 copies of Tenkaichi 3) for $3 each last night and the game discs look almost perfect. I sold my Wii version of Tenkaichi 3 on Amazon a couple years ago and I was stunned to see Tenkaichi 3 fetch more (actually a lot more) money than the Wii version.

IMG-8214.jpg
IMG-8395-Large.jpg

I picked up a white Wii U Gamepad yesterday for 8.99. Unsure if it works or not, but had to take the chance for the money. Wish i could have found the system though. Will have to check back in today and see if I can find it. 

Non-gaming: picked up a TI-84 Plus Silver Edition for $3.00. Works well. Has a pink faceplate and cover. Will most likely flip it closer to school time.

Small thrift store opened back up after being closed almost 3 months....nothing. The couple of ladies who call me "library guy" werent working so I didnt ask about game stuff. Another small thrift closed, drove past and completely empty. Drove past another....closed but still in business. Went to Goodwill last and didnt find anything until the last aisle I went down..... found all this! 8GB iPod Nano, 2 Apple charge cables, Wii balance board, Wii Fit Plus complete, and Sony Walkman WM-F41- $9.98 total. Everything works, Walkman needs new belts which I ordered off Ebay already. Charging up the iPod to see how long the battery lasts.

wCU6R24.jpg

A SNES system with 3 controllers (one w/ box) for $20. Tested and in working condition.

3 PS4 games for $2.50 each (50% off today).

IMG-9455.jpg
IMG-8741-Large.jpg

Huge haul on Facebook Marketplace yesterday. Paid $725 for 240 games. Unfortunately, someone cherry picked a lot of great GameCube games, but left me with all of those Sega Saturn games. 🤑🤑🤑

Those GC games separated from the rest are still factory sealed

.[attachment=34261:A8524CED-DD1F-464F-B221-061A57D7C17C.jpeg][attachment=34261:A8524CED-DD1F-464F-B221-061A57D7C17C.jpeg][attachment=34261:A8524CED-DD1F-464F-B221-061A57D7C17C.jpeg][attachment=34262:54CD772B-2348-4065-B516-72D4DD1FE8E1.jpeg][attachment=34263:B25069B9-5E2C-4C79-B949-1D1F0B6E5B0A.jpeg][attachment=34264:1064229B-6AE1-438C-8ED6-16B0C88B3A19.jpeg][attachment=34265:08DFE583-0E92-44DA-B9CA-591F0A71D4E6.jpeg][attachment=34266:96C72BF3-2589-411D-9A66-EA00C0243840.jpeg][attachment=34267:FD2B6514-1427-47B7-9BD0-4CE671E9D88A.jpeg][attachment=34268:D702E14F-E859-41A6-8395-184782170A55.jpeg][attachment=34269:16BD89BB-15D5-4E59-B253-09DCE17E456E.jpeg]

A SNES system with 3 controllers (one w/ box) for $20. Tested and in working condition.

3 PS4 games for $2.50 each (50% off today).

IMG-9455.jpg
IMG-8741-Large.jpg
Ugh, $20 SNES days are long gone at my local GWs! They had a copy of Donkey Kong Country for $15 yesterday. Super clean but I had to pass. If it somehow survives until half off day Ill pick it up.

Goodwill:

:psp:  Madden NFL 06

:psp:  Worms 2: Open Warfare

:ds: Phineas and Ferb: Across the 2nd Dimension

Salvation Army:

:360: Halo Reach

:360: FIFA Soccer 10

:360: Destiny (replacement case and wall art)

:xb1: LEGO Movie Videogame (extra copy)

:gc: Madden NFL 2002

:dvd: Indiana Jones - Raiders of the Lost Ark

:dvd: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

:dvd: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

:dvd: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

:br: 10,000 B.C.

Animal Humane Thrift:

:360: Madden NFL 15

:dvd: 88 Minutes

:dvd: The Incredibles

:dvd:  The Greatest Showman

Orphan's Exchange Thrift Store (my first bowling related finds this year, bundled together):

900 Global Two-Ball Tote w/ shoe compartment

Storm T-Road Solid Bowling Ball

Storm Euromania Bowling Ball (rare find)

Linds Blue Bomber Men's RH Bowling Shoes - Sz. 14 (too big for me, likely going to list them on Mercari)

Off-Topic: This particular thrift store jacks up the prices and has a 50% everyday discount to try and make it seem like you're getting a "deal." To make matters worse, even after the "discount" everything is still overpriced.

My mom and I went looking for a desk chair for her, woman working said she has to two and they are $140 each!!! I don't believe the 50% off applies to furniture. That alone keeps us from going to this store more often.

Thankfully I found the above items for $15 (priced $30 originally) and my mom found a nice compact wired USB keyboard for $5 (original price was $10).

Didnt bother taking a picture, $6 for a Guitar Hero Live guitar and a GH World Tour guitar. Both Xbox 360. The $15 copy of DKC was gone and they had a $20 Atari Flashback and a $30 PS2 slim with cables and 2 controllers.......PASS. Local GWs game section hasnt had more than 10 games in months. Not sure if its just Covid related, they arent getting games, or anything not WiiFit/sports/Guitar Hero is getting looked up and sold online. And the little thrift store I go to just announced theyll be closed until at least the 20th now because its "too hot" inside their store. They just opened too!

Local Facebook groups and Craigslist are still filled with a bunch of idiots trying to get "what it goes for on Ebay".....might really need to pick up on yardsales this summer!

Used Original WOW CE for $13. 100% complete and mint. I wish it was still factory sealed though. That would have made my day.

IMG-1309.jpg

I have started picking up DVDs/Blu Ray that I find. Streaming is fine but content could be pulled at anytime. Most of the thrift near me have them for $1.49-$1.99 each. I picked up the James Bond 007 Ultimate Collection DVD set and Seinfeld season 3 at Amvets. The bond set looked untouched. 20 movies for $24. Seinfeld was $3. I also found season 1+2, and 4 of always sunny in Philadelphia for $1.50 for each I set.discs are all in nice shape. I also found the Randy Savage macho madness 3 disc set for $2

Wii stuff and Apple M4848 mouse- $31. Everything seems to work fine except the black Wii has no sound. Has video and plays games.... just no sound. Using the same cables as the white Wii and they work fine on it.

G15Pgq8.jpeg

I have started picking up DVDs/Blu Ray that I find. Streaming is fine but content could be pulled at anytime. Most of the thrift near me have them for $1.49-$1.99 each. I picked up the James Bond 007 Ultimate Collection DVD set and Seinfeld season 3 at Amvets. The bond set looked untouched. 20 movies for $24. Seinfeld was $3. I also found season 1+2, and 4 of always sunny in Philadelphia for $1.50 for each I set.discs are all in nice shape. I also found the Randy Savage macho madness 3 disc set for $2
Same here. I have been buying a lot of blu-ray movies this past two years. My blu-ray has grown from 22 two years ago to 91 now. I usually seek out for disney pixar, anime, marvel, TV shows, and 80s films and must come complete with its slip (if any).

All I need to find is an external blu-ray player (internal too) for my PC. I just hate using my video game systems to watch them.

Update on a couple previous items- easily flipped all of the Wii stuff (except the black Wii) and the Apple mouse. Finally got the replacement rubber bands for the Walkman and it appears to work fine.

Yesterdays pickups - $13. Fable is complete, watch is sealed, calculator works after soldering the pad inside that the battery acid ate a spot of! Take your batteries out before you stop using stuff!

8HvZJvU.jpg
4paw4vr.jpg

Garage sale finds today. Chibi for $20 and worms Armageddon for $5, sure why not.[attachment=34366:FB_IMG_1595723477107.jpg]

@TuscaloosaJohnny, Well damn.....usually someone has done a Yard Sale thread by now! Not to start fights but you post everything in here anyways when there is a Pickup thread! Just trying to keep this thread on topic, Goodwill/SalvationArmy/thrift store finds go here. Facebook, Craigslist, retail, online go in the Pickups thread. And yard sales would go in the Yard Sale Pickups if there was one for 2020.

Anyways, heres my Goodwill pickups for the past week. I take back my post from July about never finding $20 SNESs at GW because I somehow found one for $25! Took it apart, cleaned everything, whitened up the top half with 40 Volume Developer cream. Then the next day I found the Jungle Green N64 and BattleTanx for $70. The boxed PC games, the reclining wheel and pedal, and sealed DDR DVD game came out to $112. Sadly Might And Magic is missing a floppy disk. Everything else appears to be complete.

9Aa1aAX.jpeg

@TuscaloosaJohnny, Well damn.....usually someone has done a Yard Sale thread by now! Not to start fights but you post everything in here anyways when there is a Pickup thread! Just trying to keep this thread on topic, Goodwill/SalvationArmy/thrift store finds go here. Facebook, Craigslist, retail, online go in the Pickups thread. And yard sales would go in the Yard Sale Pickups if there was one for 2020.

Anyways, heres my Goodwill pickups for the past week. I take back my post from July about never finding $20 SNESs at GW because I somehow found one for $25! Took it apart, cleaned everything, whitened up the top half with 40 Volume Developer cream. Then the next day I found the Jungle Green N64 and BattleTanx for $70. The boxed PC games, the reclining wheel and pedal, and sealed DDR DVD game came out to $112. Sadly Might And Magic is missing a floppy disk. Everything else appears to be complete.

9Aa1aAX.jpeg
How is Life and Death? I remember seeing that cover in Computer City ages ago and thinking it must be like Weird Al's "Like a Surgeon"

Life & Death is sealed but its confusing me because that $9.99 sticker is under the seal. It really doesnt appear as a reseal though! I actually put it up on Ebay to see if I get any takers. I might eventually open it up and see exactly whats inside. Opened copies still appear to sell for $40ish so still not bad for $12!

Walking past a plastic bag of sewing equipment; happened to see the corner of a gameboy cartridge sticking out from the bottom.  Pretty happy find for one dollar!

[attachment=34406:91969FD5-0860-47F2-BC72-74707CB45EFD.jpeg]

Juangrande, this thread isn’t exactly overrun with posts so sifting through both thrift store and yard sale finds in the same thread is no chore. Creating multiple threads for nice finds when each individual thread only gets a post every few days seems pointless.

Found copies of Super Mario Galaxy and Super Paper Mario at St. Vincent RuPaul's for ten dollars each. I don't like paying such steep prices for games at a thrift store, but it was worth it for those specific games.

Also, I got one of those plasma balls at Goodwill for five bucks. You know, those glass orbs that shoot out little purple bolts of energy when you touch them. Not as cool as a lava lamp, but still pretty nifty!

Found copies of Super Mario Galaxy and Super Paper Mario at St. Vincent RuPaul's for ten dollars each. I don't like paying such steep prices for games at a thrift store, but it was worth it for those specific games.

Also, I got one of those plasma balls at Goodwill for five bucks. You know, those glass orbs that shoot out little purple bolts of energy when you touch them. Not as cool as a lava lamp, but still pretty nifty!
I had never heard St VIncent RuPaul before. That was pretty funny.

I feel with Nintendo stuff the Mario and Links are recognizable to even someone with no familiarity with video games. If the people doing the pricing see those characters, they add a premium price. I noticed that at Savers where they had Stevie Wonder's Music for Plants album for $10 bucks but had some other less recognizable artists records for $2. Its not worth that much.

I saw a 1989 SImpsons pullback pinball type game at SAvers. It was $2.99 and new in packaging from 1989. I should have bought it but I did not think I would keep it and I didn't want the hassle of selling it. There is good stuff out there.

Savers always seems to have the best deals, but I've only been to a location, like, once. I'd like to go back there and Deseret Industries someday, if I ever get the chance. (I'd have to drive to Tucson, though, which is a prospect that does not excite me.)

Savers always seems to have the best deals, but I've only been to a location, like, once. I'd like to go back there and Deseret Industries someday, if I ever get the chance. (I'd have to drive to Tucson, though, which is a prospect that does not excite me.)
Savers usually has the best stuff in my neck of the woods but I think that is because they tend to charge more and items stay on the shelf longer. Goodwill also tends to price video game stuff higher or they just put it on their auction site. Salvation army is the cheapest near me. I also do well with amvets

Savers usually has the best stuff in my neck of the woods but I think that is because they tend to charge more and items stay on the shelf longer. Goodwill also tends to price video game stuff higher or they just put it on their auction site. Salvation army is the cheapest near me. I also do well with amvets
Goodwills in my area just put everything online now. Every so often youll find something that sneaks through to the floor, but my local goodwill was a GOLD MINE before 2017 really.

Savers doesnt put things online, so why people end up finding better stuff there.

Salvation Army is by far the cheapest for me for video games ($2-$4) but i rarely find good games i want.

Goodwill is the best place for me when it comes to finding video games. I think because the games are usually unorganized and mixed up together side by side with the DVD / Blu-Ray. Because of that customers can't really spot out the video game labels. Prices are fixed and pretty reasonable on used games ($6-$10) and new games ($15-$30). However since the games are kept in the wild at the back of the store i do come across a lot of empty cases (stolen disc / cart) which kind of sucks.

Savers is a hit or miss for me and their video game prices are usually ridiculously high ($10-$30) especially on retro games. But not going to lie they really have good stuffs in everything (name brands electronics, clothes, etc.) than the other two so I try not to go here as often or else I be broke as hell.

Salvation Army is by far the cheapest for me for video games ($2-$4) but i rarely find good games i want.

Goodwill is the best place for me when it comes to finding video games. I think because the games are usually unorganized and mixed up together side by side with the DVD / Blu-Ray. Because of that customers can't really spot out the video game labels. Prices are fixed and pretty reasonable on used games ($6-$10) and new games ($15-$30). However since the games are kept in the wild at the back of the store i do come across a lot of empty cases (stolen disc / cart) which kind of sucks.

Savers is a hit or miss for me and their video game prices are usually ridiculously high ($10-$30) especially on retro games. But not going to lie they really have good stuffs in everything (name brands electronics, clothes, etc.) than the other two so I try not to go here as often or else I be broke as hell.
There is a St Vincent RuPaul somewhat near me. It is a large store with some good finds for records. I never saw any video games there though. I stopped going because some of the patrons panhandle inside the store and follow me around asking for money.

Agree with Salvation Army. My local Salvation Armies are a crapshoot but if they have it, it's cheap. I got most of my Genesis library there as they used to keep them out on the floor. Also found some loose Gameboy games including Metroid in the kid's toys bins back then too. Now though they keep most of the stuff in the display case. Every so often, old stock gets put in a shopping cart and gets marked down to a quarter but generally just CDs. I picked up a Sims add on or two in there.

Goodwills are random, imo. Most of them here keep games in the display case though at least new ones or Target returns. I've noticed that college town Goodwills are better than others, in my experience at least.

Don't have any Savers here.

American Rescue Workers is similar to Salvation Army with good prices. I've had some decent pick ups every so often like an NES Advantage, a sealed Dreamcast Online disc and another one had a handful of SNES games years back where I picked up Populous. Not sure how nationwide they are though.

There's also a local chain here called CommunityAid. Their game prices are a little high overall but I've found a few good deals like New SMB for DS for $5. I usually go there more for vintage clothes though but that store gets a lot of donations from old farmers.

GW- Xbox One games were $3 apiece, already flipped all the Skylanders games for $15-$20 shipped

GW- $12 for a bag of Wii accessories, I cant get the Intec nunchuks to work but the Motion Plus adapters work so theres my money back. $15 for a 160GB PS3 Slim, white Dualshock, and Salt dvd inside. Already have plenty of hdmi and generic power cables so its tested and works fine. Controller needs a new battery though.

GW- $12 for a what I assume is custom made Halo 3 jersey. The only tag it had said XXXL. Already sold it for $40 shipped.

Small thrift- sealed PSP component cable, 20th Anniversary PS4 headset (missing dongle and a piece of plastic on the opposite side), a couple hdmi cables, and a hdmi extender for.....$6! Headset works wired fyi. GW- usb cable for my Wii U controller since I stole the one I had for the PS3 controller, black Xbox 360 wifi adapter, Adam West Simpsons figure for also like $6.

GW- Bought the rest of the PC games they had on 50% off yellow tag day. Total- $104.....all complete, some are sealed. Magic Candle 3 has the floppys and stuff for the first 2 games as well. Then of course I went in today and that tag color is 75% off!

GW- Some cheap LED big mouse pad- $6. Open box, appears unused.

iGxOVJb.jpg
qlwgjw7.jpg
wVPpRRK.jpg
2qTwERG.jpg
lgIYV3C.jpg
sqsXApG.jpg
R6GRD2m.jpg

1. Small thrift, $83- 250GB PS3 Super Slim and everything surrounding it. Call of Duty and Smash are case only sadly. Lady wouldn't let me barter with her this time saying that the guy who donated wanted them to get $75 for the PS3 bundle or he'd sell it online and donate the money. She didn't charge for the Smash case, GameCube game, or NOS4A2 hardback though! Goodwill, $28- Sony Walkman WM-FX195, skateboard, and Wii/PC/PS2 games. Most of the games were $0.75 apiece because they had the 75% tags. Surprised by the PS3 cost but its not terrible. Plus my last pickup from that store was a steal! Not sure if the Walkman is working but I think I can fix it.

2 and 3. Small thrift and GW, about $25. Only missing 5 LEGO bricks, ordered those for $5.04 shipped.

4. Goodwill, $25 for the Singer embroidery machine.... an absolute steal! $4 apiece for the Xbox games. $6 for the GameCube controller. $25 for the Wii stuff. Cons- bought a 2nd GC controller but its having C stick and R button problems and to press the Power or Reset buttons on the Wii I have to press in and down on the face plate.

S0iyMph.jpeg
4uFDnd8.jpeg
9IWRiWe.jpeg
ouJxmu1.jpg

bread's done
Back