2023 Thrift Store AND Yard Sale Pickups Thread

Goodwill- Wilson Castrol Edge football was $4.67. The doughnut Kryptonics skateboard was $7.37. The sealed Mountain Dew inflatables were $4.67 apiece. Braided USB cables were $2.79. And the Logitech wireless Xbox controller was $4.67. I've gone out there everyday looking for the receiver. Might have to get one off Ebay. I really liked these controllers back in the day. I still use the PS2 version.

Goodwill- $10.99 for the silver lava lamp with the red globe. $5.99 for the boxed blue globe. Trying to find the top piece from the black lava lamp I knocked over. Would look cool with the silver!

Goodwill- 2 Pokémon posters were $1.32 apiece. XY is double sided.

Goodwill- size 12 Nike dub zero oreo $15, 1995 Bandai Ninjor figure $2.79

XzLWvfG.jpeg
eDqpoDb.jpeg
mI1tjX8.jpeg
7GYDqIH.jpeg
A1FVcGJ.jpeg

Likely the last finds of the year for me:

The Warriors on X-Box for $1

4 Studio Ghibli movies on blu-ray for $4

Two free items:

Pokemon Base set 2 how to play vhs

Wii U tablet charging dock

With how the weather pretty quickly turned to crap here it is unlikely that I will be going out much until next spring. Though I've said that in the past and found cool non-gaming items before.

Ended up selling one of the inflatable Mountain Dew bottles for $50 shipped on Ebay so everything else from that pic is basically free now. Both of my Xbox Logitech controllers work just fine. Cloudy/Misty all day yesterday so I didnt even attempt yardsales or to try and see the Eclipse. Got up and pushed mowed the front yard super quick before the rain then shipped off like 10 Ebay packages. Only hit up GW and a small thrift store on the way home, nothing to be found. The lady was even like, "we just havent gotten anything youd be interested in!". Heres the rest of this weeks thrift pickups. 

Goodwill- Sweet Lightning shirt was $5.17, Simpsons 1997 book was $1.19, Doors album was $4.59, Damien VHS was $0.59, 2 games were $4.67 apiece, and the Atari Quickshot was $3.97. And they had 7 3-packs of Irish Spring soap bars for $2.79 apiece, I grabbed 3. I like the scent! I know some people dont.

AttNPEf.jpeg
uy76aI1.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't posted since early summer, time to catch up!

Finds 6-24-23

[attachment=38263:IMG_0607.JPG]

This was a rainy weekend, ended up prowling the flea markets.  Found Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn for $85.  Been wanting this one for a while and while not cheap, it's lower than normal.

[attachment=38264:IMG_0610.JPG]

I wish these had the games, but they don't.  Same flea market booth had these empty Switch cases for $1 each.  I figure I'll be finding the games without cases for cheap later down the road, so these will come in handy.

Finds 7-15-23

After the usual lull in sales around the 4th of July holiday, I rushed out to hit some sales before rain struck on this Saturday morning.  

[attachment=38265:IMG_0612.JPG]

I saw these games on an ad for a sale that started Friday, I went in expecting everything to be picked thru.  They were priced as tagged, non-negotiable.  While most are not good, I couldn't believe the Wizard of Oz was still there!  Originally, I only picked that one up but went back for more to flip.  That was a mistake.  Regardless, The Wizard of Oz is currently going for about $120 if I wanted to get my money back, but it's going into the collection.

It started to rain just as I was finishing up at this sale, so it ended up as the only one for the weekend.

Finds 7-22-23

The slow garage sale schedule continues as people avoid the heat.  The sales for this weekend were small and sporadic, but there were a few nice surprises!

[attachment=38266:IMG_0613.JPG]

This is all I collected from multiple sales for the weekend.  The Xbox games were $12 down from $15, movies were $1 each.  Luigi's Mansion 3, which I found close to noon at a sale that advertised Switch games, was $5.  There were other games in the advertised pic that were gone, surprised this one was left behind.

May be done with garage saleing, but I went out thrifting last weekend and got the following:

Wii console with Wii Sports in the system $18

New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Sonic Colors for the Wii for $1 each

Guitar Hero Fender guitar for Wii for $4

9 WCW VHS tapes for $4.50

Spring Stampede 2000

Superbrawl 2000

Mayhem 99

Spring Stampede 1999

Uncensored 2000

Uncensored 1999

Souled Out 1999

Starcade 99

Slamboree 2000

Then the neighbor who gave me most of her DVDs this past summer, and the chair in the spring gave me a few more things as she's downsizing and they were free. All of these things are less than a year old.

LG 55inch 4k TV, made in February 2023, she got from Costco- I would keep it but it wont fit on my TV stand and my TV is slightly better, albeit smaller.

Stand alone Sony Blu-ray player-this is going to my aunt who is in need of a new DVD player

RCA indoor antenna- keeping this for myself

Magic Chef 4.1 cubic foot mini-fridge- giving this to my Uncle as he may need it for his business.

Goodwill- Street Talkers walkie-talkies, little dalmatian toy, Microsoft HD Cam, Excel Deluxe-I camera, and the Respironics ac adapter were all in a baggie for $10.77. I think the Wii Balance Board was $2.70, needed one more for in front of my TV stand to keep stuff elevated. Lava lamp was $12.01.

More Goodwill- sealed Magic Mesh was $2.79. The HSM DDR pads and games were $4.67 apiece. Sealed 30 dart pack was $2.79. Nike Jordan Jumpman 2012 hat was $12.76 but it's new with tags. Retailed for $30. Didn't see any sold listings. One listed for $50 plus shipping.

LX7vnEb.jpeg
7TBYHL3.jpeg
3WP7YdI.jpeg

Tried not to hit up thrifts everyday this week since I was off work.... it was tough but I got a lot of projects done! Goodwill- Itchy And Scratchy hat was $3.67, the PS2 games were $4.67 apiece, the Bose headphones were $7.37, the 1980s Mizzou glasses were $1.32 apiece, and the Halo Wars Risk game was $4.01. Still need to count all the pieces but 1st glance looks promising. Small thrift- sealed puzzle was $2 and the Amp Energy Dale Jr cooler bag was $3.

Small thrift- brand new with tags Red Sox jersey wasn't tagged so the lady said, "I guess it's $3!". I gave her my only cash, $5, and told her to keep the change. Next time I'm in I'll probably throw something into their little donation jar.

AswwuJv.jpeg
wiWkmst.jpeg
z6I56Mn.jpeg

Finds 7-29-23

Got up early for a sale the next town over that had a Pokemon DS and some SNES games showing on a pic in the advertisement.  Stickered for VERY cheap.  I get on the interstate and get stuck behind two semis playing footsie with each other.  They were side by side for a good three or so miles going below the speed limit.  When I get off the exit and start going down the country road to the sale, I see a car about a quarter mile ahead of me.  You always get that anxiety when you see a car in front of you going to a sale, but it's usually nothing.  This time it was something.  Guy beat me there and was having the person running the sale uncovering the tables when I pulled up.  Of course, he got the Pokemon and two SNES games.  I grabbed a few things he passed on for some reason and started digging through CDs, he joined me.  I asked if there was any group in particular he was looking for and he just looked at me, kinda grunted and kept digging. He then paid up and left. 

Thing is, the ditches were steep on the road so we both parked in the driveway with me being behind him, blocking him in.  He drove up in the guy's yard, turned around, and then started trying to drive around my car.  I started to walk down to move but apparently that wasn't good enough for him; he drove partially into the ditch over a drainage pipe and into the road.  His car bottomed out, making a nice metallic scraping noise as he went.  The guy running the sale and I  kinda laughed about it, he apparently had places to be!

Anyways, here is what I did get from the sale.

[attachment=38306:$23.JPG]

Everything pictured for $23.  I was more than happy picking up Spider-Man Miles Morales PS5 for $7.50, the COD double pack for $1 and I've been collecting the old handhelds.  The CDs were decent at $0.50 each, especially for the titles. 

The Skynyrd box set was $3, found someone's birth photo from the hospital inside along with some other family photos.  Currently trying to track down the person that was the newborn to try to return the pics.  Can't find them on social media but I was able to track one person by name that is a possible match but I'm not certain.

Finds 8-5-23

Highway sale!  Went with some family, wasn't too enthused with where they wanted to start considering they avoided some of the bigger towns with huge amounts of sales.  Oh well.  

[attachment=38308:IMG_0634.JPG]

Most of this was from one sale.  Most of the movies were $2 each, higher than I like for DVD these days but they were unique titles.  Pitch Perfect 2 was only $0.50 though, will make a great replacement case!  The CDs were $0.50 each.  I confused Diamond Rio with another band.  Oops.  The lone PS3 game was $1.

[attachment=38309:IMG_0700.JPG]

Was barely able to talk them down to $8 on this Coleco.  It was extremely filthy (a common trend for this day) and will probably need to be taken apart to get it clean enough where I feel comfortable using it.  This is after a five-minute wipe down with a damp cloth.

[attachment=38310:IMG_0703.JPG]

An ACME Full-Vision Gas Mask No. 6 from the 1970's.  Had a difficult time talking them down to $17 from $20.  Like the previous item, this thing was absolutely filthy.  I've cleaned it with soap and warm water but don't want to use disinfectant in fear of it degrading the rubber.  Don't plan on using it, it will be a display piece for my Fallout corner in the game room.

[attachment=38311:IMG_0635.JPG]

This was from the last sale of the day, a huge flea market type place full of junk.  The Polaroid was $1, it's a bit jankie and I'm pretty sure it will not work, display only.  The toy German Luger was $3 and needs some attention, will try to do a restoration on it.  I have a large collection of curved wrenches, not sure this one will stay as I probably have better ones.  The Pigs In Space 2600 cartridge came in a lot of five for $3, with this one being the only one with the label.  As per most of the other items they were disgusting; I gave this one a light wipe down, the others I'm keeping in a bag until I take them apart to clean and test.  Pigs in Space is an uncommon 2600 game and I'm curious what the others are.

For all the hype this highway sale is, it was a huge letdown.

Finds 8-12-23

Not too many sales for this weekend, ventured out of town a bit and ran across a couple sales.

[attachment=38312:IMG_0656.JPG]

Stopped at this place out in the sticks.  Said they used to work at a video store and have had these since (running across a lot of that this year).  Not the greatest titles but they're all factory sealed, and they were $0.50 each.

[attachment=38313:IMG_0657.JPG]

Same sale found these very nice Tasco 15-20x50 binoculars for $5.  They look barely used.

[attachment=38314:IMG_0659.JPG]

[attachment=38315:IMG_0658.JPG]

Next town over ran into this sale.  Games were $1 each, probably should have left them.  Tremors Collection was pretty cool at $2 though.  The toys were $5 for all.

[attachment=38316:IMG_0661.JPG]

Last sale of the day was on the way home only a few blocks from the house.  Was a total of $2 for the Nikon Coolpix camera and corded remote.  The camera needs a battery which shouldn't be an issue.  The remote is an early 80's Sharp corded remote.  You never see these anymore and this one is in like new condition.  

Finds 8-19-23

Only one decent sale for this weekend, saw a Wii and various games in one of the pics.

[attachment=38317:$38.JPG]

They were asking $30 for the Wii and games were as marked (most at $1).  At first I was just going to buy Mario, Wii Sports Resort, RE4, Spyro, Okami, Diablo and Forza 3 which would have ran me $19.  I was able to negotiate them down to $38 for the entire bundle. 

Not pictured is the first season of Bleach: The Substitute (disc only) that I got for $3 at the same sale.

Only hit up two other sales but didn't find anything.  This was still a pretty good weekend.

Finds 8-25-23

Two local festivals going on during this weekend, this all happened over two days.

[attachment=38318:$36.JPG]

[attachment=38319:IMG_0639.JPG]

First decent stop had just put out 5-6 totes full of movies, I was the first to get to pick through them.  DVD were $2 each, Bluray were $3 each and box sets were $5 each.  They were non-negotiable since they were just put out.  I focused on Blurays and found some decent titles; most of these have recently had 4k releases but I'm not about to drop $30 each on them.  Despite this, most of them still have a value of about $10 each.  Only got through two totes and had to stop because it was extremely hot that day and I had someone with me (they found the N64 shirt for me at $1 while I was looking!).  Paid $36 for everything pictured.

[attachment=38320:$50.JPG]

Ran into a former coworker, he was cleaning out his father's estate.  Saw this sitting to the side and asked about it, he was talking a huge price if it were working and told me to make an offer.  I said I couldn't pay any more than $50 for it thinking he would refuse.  He didn't.  Should have said $20.  It's going to be a display in the Fallout corner of my game room.  I'm thinking of 3D printing a small plate to cover the Commodore logo.

[attachment=38321:$31.JPG]

Found this in the late afternoon on Friday, guy had just put it out.  Paid a total of approximately $90 for this and some other items not pictured.  The Gameboy Color works but is missing the battery cover, as is the Wavebird.  Still, I can get those and to find these in the wild without having to pay through the teeth is pretty good.  This happened in two transactions: the gameboy, wavebird, Mario and Pokemon for $31 and came back (with more money) and paid about $60 for the rest along with a few more non-game items.

[attachment=38322:$5.JPG]

Last sale for Friday.  Guy was selling his CD collection for $0.25 each.  There were a few random games in the mix that I grabbed.  This was about 4:00 PM, wonder if I missed any earlier in the day.  Paid $5 for everything here.

[attachment=38323:IMG_0694.JPG]

Saturday wasn't quite as good as Friday.  All the movies were a total of $10, the 2600 games were $2 each.

[attachment=38324:IMG_0697.JPG]

Two military gun holsters for $16.  The one on the right I believe is Korean War era (I have a WWII version which is brown, unless this was a dress or MP holster) and the one on the left would be more modern (60's, 70's?).  The DSi XL booklet set me back $2.  The Walmart game and movie advertising buttons were free!

Goodwill- Odouls PGA Tour umbrella, 2 PS2 guitars, Nike Jordan Spike Fortys size 12, vintage Pacman Rubiks cube, 1998 Nystrom globe, and a Toshiba DVD VCR Combo Player. $70ish.

Goodwill- 2010 Toad plush, Fallout shot glasses, and 2003 Pokémon figures. $14ish.

Small thift- vintage TV trays and the combo player. $30

N8BqFdY.jpeg
0Jvzn5n.jpeg
oVKipMs.jpeg
u6lmqyQ.jpeg

Goodwill- vintage figure case with stuff inside was $15.

Goodwill- Veruca Salt album was $14, MJ albums were $11 apiece, more than I'd like to give a GW for vinyls but they're in nice shape. Sealed Merle Dixon figure was $4.67. Unused Wii charge base set was $7. Black Wiimote with Motion Plus and Nyko battery was $3.67. Frogger plug n play was $2.48. The Xbox360 Kinect and composite cable were $4.74. The Daskeyboard was $4.74. And the 3 sealed sets of McDonald's Brett Hull comics were $5.01.

Small Thrift- Alesis IO Dock for iPad, free. No ac adapter so the lady told me to take it and mess with it if I want.

pQRShZ2.jpeg
Tz2bnet.jpeg
k4H17Aj.jpeg

Finds 9-8-23

The previous weekend to this was uneventful, everyone waiting for the fall festival that was happening on this weekend.  I got out on Friday beating most of the crowd to some deals.

First stop was a doozie.  Everything in these first four pictures were from the same sale.  Each of the pics were individual transactions, he started giving me deals after I had picked up a few lots.

[attachment=38355:IMG_0666.JPG]

Guy apparently loved smoking Camels and could prove it with all the Camel point swag he had available.  Included are a '57 Chevy ash tray, cigarette box style lighter, classic style tin, Camel card game, Coke fridge magnet, Camel pool Eight Ball, branded Swiss army knife and a cigarette shaped lighter.  Everything in this pic was $12.

[attachment=38356:IMG_0667.JPG]

He previously owned a video store in the 80's, early 90's.  It turned out to be the same store I purchased over 300 video store posters from back in March or April of this year.  The guy running the sale sold the store and it only stayed open for another 4-5 years afterwards.  I bought the posters from the guy that bought the store and it's contents late last year.  Anyway, these tapes are from that same store.  It was $2 each for VHS, games and $1 each for cassettes and DVDs. The Soulkeeper and Jack Frost 2 VHS have the lenticular covers.  Everything pictured here was $18.

[attachment=38357:IMG_0692.JPG]

On top of the cassettes shown in the previous pic, I picked up these.  He had a huge lot of them for $1 each but I'd bought so much he sold all these to me for $7.  Great selection of his personal collection. 

[attachment=38358:IMG_0693.JPG]

Some CDs at $1.00 each.  Again, since I had picked up so much, he gave me a small deal on these at $10 for the lot.  This guy had great taste in music.

[attachment=38359:IMG_0687.JPG]

This was a mix of good and bad.  I found these cases in a tub and immediately thought I hit the jackpot.  Unfortunately, the only cases that actually had games in them were the PS2 and White Line Fever DVD. I asked the lady running the sale if she knew if they had them.  She then asked another woman who essentially questioned why she was being asked.  Long story short I didn't get the games.  Cases are harder to get than the games at this point though, so I'll fill them eventually.  I've never seen the slipcover for the Gameboy player before.  Paid $3 for the cases and $1 each for the PS2 games and movie for $6 total.

[attachment=38360:IMG_0682.JPG]

This sale had multiple tables full of huge totes of movies.  The prices were tiered with no obvious rhyme or reason.  $2, $3, or $4 for regular movies and $5 for multi-movie sets.  I was able to pull a lot of OOP and obscure stuff from the $2 section, only one over that threshold was the Drive-in Cult Classics at $5.  The 360 controller is in pretty good shape and was only $3.  Spent a total of $42 here.  Expensive weekend already!

[attachment=38361:IMG_0690.JPG]

These all came from different sales.  The Tomy Pyraminx was $1, sealed Back 4 Blood PS5 was $5, Sony Cybershot was talked down to $3, sealed copy of Lolita was $1, Metal Gear and Ghost Recon were also $1 each.

[attachment=38362:IMG_0672.JPG]

Last stop of the day was a surprise.  Came across this top loading Sanyo Betacord 4400 Betamax.  Sticker said "make offer".  I was pretty much broke at this point so I offered $5, which was accepted.  

Finds 9-15-23

Only one stop for this weekend, pretty dead in the immediate area.

[attachment=38363:$25.JPG]

Got everything pictured for $25.  Not exactly happy with myself over this one.  I was going to leave with everything except the 360 for $12.  The PSP doesn't have a battery or battery cover but it was only $3, The movies and CD were $1 each.  They then offered the 360 for $30, it didn't have controllers.  Told them I'm not interested.  They kept me in a long conversation and then re-offered $15.  I told them I'd probably do $25 for all which they accepted.  I didn't really get to inspect it too closely at the time as they were keeping up a conversation about some programs they're in and how they help others as well as their own personal struggles.  I'm almost certain it was a distraction tactic.

Pretty sure the 360 is a paperweight as some of the fins over the cooling port were cracked and broke off shortly after I got home, and after closely looking inside it appears to be packed with dust.  Need to become more aware when people are doing this.

Finds 9-21-23

Huge car show that draws people in from about 7-8 surrounding states.  Stopped at some sales on the way to the show on Thursday.

[attachment=38364:$35.JPG]

Everything pictured was $35 total. 

First stop was a guy that runs a flea market that had set up in his front yard.  Same guy had an amazing PS2 lot last year but he was asking OVER Pricecharting so it was a hard pass.  This year I saw Call of Cthulhu and Psychonauts in a glass case he had.  They didn't appear to have a sticker on them so I asked how much, $10 each!  I was more than happy!  Got home and turns out they did have price stickers on them, small ones on the spine marked $30 each.  He looked them over so that's on him.  

Next sale was the Wii controller, talked them down to $3.

The three PS3 games were originally 3/$15 at the last sale, but I talked them down to 3/$12.  Probably still too much.

Finds 9-23-23

Went out to more sales on the Saturday of the big car show.

$20.JPG

First stop guy was selling off some old G.I. Joe vehicles that were missing some parts. He was asking $8 each but was able to bundle everything including the sealed Commtech reader for $20.

$23.JPG

This guy was a wheeler and dealer, lots of odd stuff. The sealed longboxes caught my attention. Not exactly great bands but when was the last time you saw these unopened? Randomly found Twisted Metal III and a Sony Playstation soundtrack disc along with other various things. The ZZ Top cassettes were a pretty cool find. Everything here was $23.

free.JPG

Best find of the weekend came via my aunt. Said she got this NES bundle from a sale she stopped at FOR FREE. No idea how she accomplished that, I can't even get people to entertain leaving a number for their stuff. I need to start taking her along with me.

Last edited:
Finds 9-8-23

The previous weekend to this was uneventful, everyone waiting for the fall festival that was happening on this weekend. I got out on Friday beating most of the crowd to some deals.

First stop was a doozie. Everything in these first four pictures were from the same sale. Each of the pics were individual transactions, he started giving me deals after I had picked up a few lots.

IMG_0666.JPG

Guy apparently loved smoking Camels and could prove it with all the Camel point swag he had available. Included are a '57 Chevy ash tray, cigarette box style lighter, classic style tin, Camel card game, Coke fridge magnet, Camel pool Eight Ball, branded Swiss army knife and a cigarette shaped lighter. Everything in this pic was $12.

IMG_0667.JPG

He previously owned a video store in the 80's, early 90's. It turned out to be the same store I purchased over 300 video store posters from back in March or April of this year. The guy running the sale sold the store and it only stayed open for another 4-5 years afterwards. I bought the posters from the guy that bought the store and it's contents late last year. Anyway, these tapes are from that same store. It was $2 each for VHS, games and $1 each for cassettes and DVDs. The Soulkeeper and Jack Frost 2 VHS have the lenticular covers. Everything pictured here was $18.

IMG_0692.JPG

On top of the cassettes shown in the previous pic, I picked up these. He had a huge lot of them for $1 each but I'd bought so much he sold all these to me for $7. Great selection of his personal collection.

IMG_0693.JPG

Some CDs at $1.00 each. Again, since I had picked up so much, he gave me a small deal on these at $10 for the lot. This guy had great taste in music.

IMG_0687.JPG

This was a mix of good and bad. I found these cases in a tub and immediately thought I hit the jackpot. Unfortunately, the only cases that actually had games in them were the PS2 and White Line Fever DVD. I asked the lady running the sale if she knew if they had them. She then asked another woman who essentially questioned why she was being asked. Long story short I didn't get the games. Cases are harder to get than the games at this point though, so I'll fill them eventually. I've never seen the slipcover for the Gameboy player before. Paid $3 for the cases and $1 each for the PS2 games and movie for $6 total.

IMG_0682.JPG

This sale had multiple tables full of huge totes of movies. The prices were tiered with no obvious rhyme or reason. $2, $3, or $4 for regular movies and $5 for multi-movie sets. I was able to pull a lot of OOP and obscure stuff from the $2 section, only one over that threshold was the Drive-in Cult Classics at $5. The 360 controller is in pretty good shape and was only $3. Spent a total of $42 here. Expensive weekend already!

IMG_0690.JPG

These all came from different sales. The Tomy Pyraminx was $1, sealed Back 4 Blood PS5 was $5, Sony Cybershot was talked down to $3, sealed copy of Lolita was $1, Metal Gear and Ghost Recon were also $1 each.

IMG_0672.JPG

Last stop of the day was a surprise. Came across this top loading Sanyo Betacord 4400 Betamax. Sticker said "make offer". I was pretty much broke at this point so I offered $5, which was accepted.
The GB player cover has some value.

Goodwill- Kiss album was $10.93, Xbox 360 guitar was $4.74, Power Rangers gun was $5.01.

Goodwill- 2 Apple Cinema HD monitors with cables were $20 apiece, Philips combo player with remote was $10.93, and the 2022 Charizard figure was $3.83. His flame lights up and his mouth/wings move.

JROs1F6.jpeg
BYultt4.jpeg
Lz9hlGg.jpeg

bread's done
Back