27 DEAD in Elementary School shooting in Connecticut

The CT news station is reporting we don't know if his father is dead, if his brother had anything to do with this, and that his girlfriend and friend are missing.

Aw, CT state police Lt. Paul Vance confirmed 18 children were pronounced dead on scene. 2 at the hospital. RIP.

I'm watching a news conference and the guy said 20 kids and 6 adults.

One more adult at a secondary crime scene in CT.

This is insane.

I just don't understand....I'm angry, sad, frustrated, and want answers that unfortunately I will never get. Senseless doesn't even begin to describe this.

[quote name='confoosious']There's no explanation for killing children. You're angry with your parents? Why the f take it out on some random kids. Sorry, to me, this person lost his humanity and isn't human to me.[/QUOTE]
There's Always a reason for things like this. More than likely a clinical diagnosis of mental illness. It's even more important to recognize the fact that this guy Was human. Stripping him of his humanity serves no other purpose than to absolve our own failings as a society to see the warning signs.

was watching this for a few minutes after i got home from gym,

and then the ellen show came on,
with her dancing with Justin beiber blah blah
wtf?

this shit isn't recorded live is it?

[quote name='mrspicytacoman']was watching this for a few minutes after i got home from gym,

wtf?

this shit isn't recorded live is it?[/QUOTE]

No talk shows are live. The daytime ones are filmed in the morning so they can be rerun anytime a network wants during the day. Nighttime ones are usually recorded around 4pm local time, however being Friday they were probably filmed yesterday.

[quote name='mrspicytacoman']was watching this for a few minutes after i got home from gym,

wtf?

this shit isn't recorded live is it?[/QUOTE]
Nah...all these shows are taped in advance.

[quote name='dohdough']Nah...all these shows are taped in advance.[/QUOTE]
was gunna say, that would've been kinda fucked up if it wasn't, everyone was going ape shit over beebz
still, i feel putting that shit on is in bad taste right now,
especially considering how little is known about what happened.

I have a kindergarten student, my son. This is a total mind $%&# for me.
This will only fuel someone else who is disturbed to do similar unfortunately.
I've already read many posts about video games and anti gun rants.
Lets not forget that it is the Media that is shoving the shooter in every body's face including people that are already Emotionally unstable. They see this guys name on the lips and screens of everybody's mouths and phones and they see a way to get attention.
Media is killing our society....
May those who have lost find strength this holiday anyway they can. I am not religious so i will simply say that they are all in my thoughts.
This will be the only place i will comment on the subject.
man....this is unreal :whistle2:(

This terrible terrible tragedy aside...

The main stream media has officially reached the point of no return.

Like someone said on a previous page, it's all about reporting first and not reporting correctly.

ALL of these main stream media outlets from TV channels to the freaking Huffington Post were spreading around a picture and Facebook page of "the shooter" and WHOOPS! It wasn't actually the shooter. Just some guy with the misfortune of having the same name.

Journalism is dead.

It's not even a matter of "You can't trust them because the conservative/liberal bias" its a matter of "You can't trust them because they don't check facts or sources and don't report for accuracy."

[quote name='mrspicytacoman']was gunna say, that would've been kinda fucked up if it wasn't, everyone was going ape shit over beebz
still, i feel putting that shit on is in bad taste right now,
especially considering how little is known about what happened.[/QUOTE]

What purpose would pulling talkshows serve and what would be broadcast in lieu of it? A couple of newscasters commenting that know as much as we do? Maybe some helicopter footage of the scene? This is why the 24 hour news cycle is bad because we constantly expect to be updated when there isn't really anything new to report. Getting all the facts takes days and weeks, not hours. It takes time to unravel this tragedy and we all just need to wait.

[quote name='jmillcag']I have a kindergarten student, my son. This is a total mind $%&# for me.[/QUOTE]

I do also. I am actually having trouble focusing at work just thinking about it.

[quote name='confoosious']Ugh.

There is no hell bad enough for someone who would mass murder children.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. Killing someone in general is a concept I don't like to think about and I think its wrong. Killing a bunch of a little kids for no reason is just insane.

[quote name='dohdough']What purpose would pulling talkshows serve and what would be broadcast in lieu of it? A couple of newscasters commenting that know as much as we do? Maybe some helicopter footage of the scene? This is why the 24 hour news cycle is bad because we constantly expect to be updated when there isn't really anything new to report. Getting all the facts takes days and weeks, not hours. It takes time to unravel this tragedy and we all just need to wait.[/QUOTE]
idk maybe discussions about society and why things like this are constantly happening in our country?
why cops aren't in every school in america by now?

Just watching that for a few minutes and then seeing Ellen degeneres and justin bieber dancing around a christmas tree gave me a queasy feeling.
like something really isn't quite right with society.

They don't have to continue to pry information or put shit on a loop
but offering intellectual debate of possible solutions on a channel that millions of people are watching currently, seems like a proactive and responsible thing to do.

its apparent some type of legislation will come out of this, president obama mentioned something about gun control
this seems like a good time to give information to the masses

The shooting is a horrible tragedy that's just impossible to comprehend.

What's worse if you want to watch the news at all over the next few days you're going to have to be living it over and over and over.

Why can't they just report the facts once or twice and then stop? No more of this endless "updating" when there's nothing new to report.

[quote name='mrspicytacoman']idk maybe discussions about society and why things like this are constantly happening in our country?
why cops aren't in every school in america by now?

Just watching that for a few minutes and then seeing Ellen degeneres and justin bieber dancing around a christmas tree gave me a queasy feeling.
like something really isn't quite right with society.

They don't have to continue to pry information or put shit on a loop
but offering intellectual debate of possible solutions on a channel that millions of people are watching currently, seems like a proactive and responsible thing to do.

its apparent some type of legislation will come out of this, president obama mentioned something about gun control
this seems like a good time to give information to the masses[/QUOTE]
Maybe you should participate in the vs. thread, but a lot of what you're suggesting is what some people would describe as politicizing it or in bad taste because the bodies are still warm...not that I agree with those lines of thought. There is plenty of deep discussion to be had at any time and it does happen. Just because it happened doesn't mean we need a mormatorium on the debate, but should further encourage it. Considering how threads like this went down when we did have those discussions, I don't think OTT is the right place for it.

[quote name='eldergamer']Why can't they just report the facts once or twice and then stop? No more of this endless "updating" when there's nothing new to report.[/QUOTE]

Because the news is no longer "the news." Its entertainment. The 24 hour news cycle means they have to keep going no matter what. And in the end, people keep watching and keep wanting this kind of constant news coverage. Television "news" is a business and their customers haven't told them to behave differently - just a vocal minority opposes the way they handle things.

[quote name='dohdough']Maybe you should participate in the vs. thread, but a lot of what you're suggesting is what some people would describe as politicizing it or in bad taste because the bodies are still warm...not that I agree with those lines of thought. There is plenty of deep discussion to be had at any time and it does happen. Just because it happened doesn't mean we need a mormatorium on the debate, but should further encourage it. Considering how threads like this went down when we did have those discussions, I don't think OTT is the right place for it.[/QUOTE]
oh no, you misunderstand me.
I don't want to debate it at all.
what the fuck do I know lol?

I just feel the media outlets could do a much better job of informing the public about the fallout.
Is it too soon? maybe, I could see how it is in bad taste.
But I feel this has happened way too many times in the past decade for nothing to happen...again.
I sincerely believe the rights of the second amendment are seriously in deep water this time.
and I would like some information about what exactly is going on in washington.

Shoot name is Adam, 20, people were guessing who the shooter was and didn't bother looking up which one it was. Kyle, 24, is the brother, he was interviewed by police, but is not a second shooter as far as we know.

This doesn't just deal with gun control, something GOP doesn't want, it deals with mental illness and health care, something GOP doesn't care about. We had an election and issues were never really discussed.

There is a second crime scene with one adult dead, but there is no info about that yet.

[quote name='kodave']Because the news is no longer "the news." Its entertainment. The 24 hour news cycle means they have to keep going no matter what. And in the end, people keep watching and keep wanting this kind of constant news coverage. Television "news" is a business and their customers haven't told them to behave differently - just a vocal minority opposes the way they handle things.[/QUOTE]

That's why I don't watch the news. But obviously we've built a nation of news junkies. Don't blame he media, blame the idiots who love on the 24 hour news cycle.

[quote name='mrspicytacoman']oh no, you misunderstand me.
I don't want to debate it at all.
what the fuck do I know lol?

I just feel the media outlets could do a much better job of informing the public about the fallout.
Is it too soon? maybe, I could see how it is in bad taste.
But I feel this has happened way too many times in the past decade for nothing to happen...again.
I sincerely believe the rights of the second amendment are seriously in deep water this time.
and I would like some information about what exactly is going on in washington.[/QUOTE]
I don't mean debate, but discuss those issues. You probably know more than you think you do and we've had discussions about all those issues you brought up before. Despite what it may seem like to the casual observer, there are quite a few very knowledgable people in vs.

[quote name='confoosious']That's why I don't watch the news. But obviously we've built a nation of news junkies. Don't blame he media, blame the idiots who love on the 24 hour news cycle.[/QUOTE]

The only news i don't think is completely biased bullshit is the news from PBS. They report on Syria and such.

[quote name='bigdaddy']Shoot name is Adam, 20, people were guessing who the shooter was and didn't bother looking up which one it was. Kyle, 24, is the brother, he was interviewed by police, but is not a second shooter as far as we know.

This doesn't just deal with gun control, something GOP doesn't want, it deals with mental illness and health care, something GOP doesn't care about. We had an election and issues were never really discussed.

There is a second crime scene with one adult dead, but there is no info about that yet.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='bigdaddy']The only news i don't think is completely biased bullshit is the news from PBS. They report on Syria and such.[/QUOTE]

Your comments about biased media are completely hilarious coming after your own biased comment regarding a political group. Stop being a hypocrite in times like this and just be a human being. Save your politics and other crap for some other time and place.

I'm hugging my little girl extra tight tonight. What a tragedy...

I'm still just ingesting this but Pro-gun people rushing to the defense and anti-gun people thinking they have a solution. I think I'll stay away from FB for a couple days.

its funny everytime when you think youve seen it all someone takes shit to another level of fucked up evil. since i saw this on the news all i couold think of was how excited those kids had to be for the weekend to be there and all the shit they were going to do with their free time. add to that how soon xmas is coming and it kills me to think anyone coudl be so damn selfish as to rob those kids of their lives.

not to say shit was perfect when i was growing up but at least we got to have some kind of enjoyable childhood. i can see alot of people looking into home school because of this.

RIP to the victims of this horrible tragedy.

Really sad to see so many children lose their lives.

And of course the shooter offs himself instead of facing his judgement head on.

My condolences to all of the family members affected by this. I can't imagine the emotional toll this will have on you.

Lot of conflicting information out there. Dad lives in Stamford, CT so I guess no one was killed in Hoboken. Now reading that mom was killed in the house and may or may not have actively been working at the school.

[quote name='lokizz']its funny everytime when you think youve seen it all someone takes shit to another level of fucked up evil. since i saw this on the news all i couold think of was how excited those kids had to be for the weekend to be there and all the shit they were going to do with their free time. add to that how soon xmas is coming and it kills me to think anyone coudl be so damn selfish as to rob those kids of their lives.

not to say shit was perfect when i was growing up but at least we got to have some kind of enjoyable childhood. i can see alot of people looking into home school because of this.[/QUOTE]

Yeah their aren't enough distasteful adjectives to describe a person capable of murdering children.

I also agree on the homeschooling aspect. Their is a new breed of helicopter parents that hover over their children. I can see this as reason for more and more parents to pull their kids from public schools.

Near where I live it is actually very common and as far as I understand despite being home schooled the kids still are allowed to participate in extracurricular activities within the school district that they reside so their is still plenty of opportunity for social integration.

[quote name='confoosious']That's why I don't watch the news. But obviously we've built a nation of news junkies. Don't blame he media, blame the idiots who love on the 24 hour news cycle.[/QUOTE]

And for a nation of "news junkies", whether its FOX News or MSNBC, we're so radically uninformed about the actual facts because news stations pander to their audiences and tell them what they want to hear, whether or not there is a factual basis for it.

It doesn't even have to be the typical left-right-political shit. Just turn on your local news and see how bad the reporting is, how trivial many of the stories are, how much of the news is the weather report dragging on for 5 segments because they know people just want to see what the fuck the weather will be tomorrow but if they tell them right away they'll change the channel.

Listen to the idiotic questions these "reporters" ask people. Like today with the kids: "What did you feel when you heard the gun shots?" Well for fucks sake, the kid was either confused or scared - but there is no factual relevance to that question. It's just fluff to make the "human interest" connection with the audience so they stayed tuned in because the actual facts hadn't changed since the story first broke.

Or local channels giving excessive coverage to things like high speed pursuits - which studies have shown is a bad thing, just like giving excessive coverage to these mass murder shootings.

Live broadcast news journalism is a joke. I want to say its a disservice to the minds of the nation, but that's probably too harsh. Some people just really want the facts and the news but don't have cable or internet or don't get BBC News or Al Jazeera so they have to sit through what they do have. But of course others watch these poor excuses for "news" broadcasts, then flip over to Teen Mom or some shit like its a documentary.

I only heard about this at work today and was appalled but the gravity of it all hadn't hit me until I came home and heard/ read more about it. This situation is so sad. I want to be angry but I'm just so upset instead but nothing will help these people recover from something quite like this. The shooter is a vile creature and I hope hell exists just so this pos can go there.

My father was particularly upset about it and he's not a man to be easily bothered. My dad seems to think more stringent gun control laws would help but I'm not so sure they would. There is such an availability of firearms and not to mention obtaining unregistered weapons is probably easier than getting one legitimately. He also insists that collecting weapons and keeping them out of the hands of people who aren't military or police would be a good idea even acknowledging that it infringes on the second amendment of the constitution. I feel this would be bad both symbolically and literally giving too much power to government. Am I being paranoid? Is it for the greater good?What do you all think?

Nothing can bedone and the poor parents too. My heart goes out to them. What's the problem in this country lately? These violent outbursts are popping up more and more. Is it really exposure to violence in media such as movies, tv and games that begin to wire people in such a way? I just don't buy into it. I've played violent games from a young age and even saw bad movies here and there and the worst thing you can say about me is I'm quirky if thats even a bad thing. Quirky but not aggressive, violent, easily upset, and mentally really sound id like to think

[quote name='renique46']So how long till Jack Thompson appears. Probably salivating right now.[/QUOTE]
Wasn't he disbarred?

I work at a local news station. This story breaks all of our hearts. The reporters and anchors have been somber all day. We're not sensationalizing the tragedy. Please think of victims instead.

media sometimes can boost the morale of mentally ill person.... as apocalypse is coming ... he might wanted to end those life before the mayan calendar ends.... who could say what he is planning now that he's dead too... unless he left a trail out of his plans....

if scientist becomes mentally ill then that would be the end of the world....

nuclear here and there .... everywhere....

ka boooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Nothing but heartbreaking sadness regarding those lost, the scars many will bear, and everyone this tragedy touches.

And cable news is a joke. I avoid cable news like a plague and tuning into, say, CNN just further shows why. I will take it a step further and say, as someone with a journalism degree, that true journalism is dead. Reporters questioning kids caught in the crossfire? How fucking dare they. Just infuriating. Makes me feel ill.

Reporters interviewing the kids pisses me the fuck off to no end. We're not getting anything out of them we don't already know, just a bunch of vague descriptors and feelings of fear and confusion. Even if you do get an eyewitness account, bravo, you just got a five year old to recall seeing his or her friends get massacred for your 3-minute newspiece, you damn halfwit.

[quote name='ced']Reporters interviewing the kids pisses me the fuck off to no end. We're not getting anything out of them we don't already know, just a bunch of vague descriptors and feelings of fear and confusion. Even if you do get an eyewitness account, bravo, you just got a five year old to recall seeing his or her friends get massacred for your 3-minute newspiece, you damn halfwit.[/QUOTE]

yeah i was against them interviewing the kids as well the teachers and other faculty sure but why interview kids? fuck as young as they are they probably still hadnt processed what went down but more than that its very tacky.

i heard from someone some host on a fox news show tried to blame it on videogames lol fuckin shit seems like all the worlds problems start and end with videogames and never with the asshole who commits the crime.

I was following this from very early, and the amount of incorrect information that the press spread was just saddening. From misinformation, to interviewing 6 year olds, I lost any respect I had for any of those people...it was all about the story.

As for the scum that actually committed this act, he showed his true colors when he ended his life. Too much of a coward to even face the punishment that would've awaited him.

Alot of these mass shooters decide to take themselves out it seems. I think most people were surprised that they captured the one in Aurora and even more surprisingly without much of a fight.

I just found out that some looney church is going to protest these poor children's funerals because they feel this was a "judgement" from God...makes me sick...I am strongly considering going to help form a human barrier to keep these nut jobs away. I just don't understand how people can use something like this to promote their own agendas...its truly sad...

bread's done
Back