2D Side scrollers for XBox?

cbouchar

CAG Veteran
Just bought an XBox 360, and noticed that there aren't any 2D side-scrolling titles available for it. I wasn't going to get a Nintendo machine just for the Mario series, but I enjoy that style of game once in a while (it helps remove the tunnel vision I get playing Battlefield 2 for three hours).

Since the 360 is backward compatible, are there any older XBox titles in the 2D side-scolling category that anyone can recommend?

Thanks,

-----------------------
Cbouchar

Sonic Mega Collection? Mega Man Anniversary Collection?
Can't think of any more off the top of my head, don't think the Metal Slug games are BC.

[quote name='Raiikoh']Sonic Mega Collection? Mega Man Anniversary Collection?
Can't think of any more off the top of my head, don't think the Metal Slug games are BC.[/QUOTE]

Yep, I think those two collections are all you're going to get unless some more are released in the Live Arcade.

EDIT: On a side note, buying a Gamecube wouldn't get you any better ones anyway. But you can get a GBA pretty cheap if you want more.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, is on its way to Xbox Live Arcade. That game is one of the best 2D side scrollers ever made.

too bad the Metal Slug games arent BC, cos theyre great too.

I don't need the games to be BC, I have a 360. If the games you are speaking of are made for the 360, that's great. I'm only asking here in the Xbox forum because there is a larger library here than for the 360.

Also, don't misinterpret my original post as a criticism of Mario-ish games. If there are any of that style available for Xbox/360, that would be great.

[quote name='cbouchar']I don't need the games to be BC, I have a 360. If the games you are speaking of are made for the 360, that's great. I'm only asking here in the Xbox forum because there is a larger library here than for the 360.

Also, don't misinterpret my original post as a criticism of Mario-ish games. If there are any of that style available for Xbox/360, that would be great.[/QUOTE]

:whistle2:s

Yeah, you do know that xbox games do need to be on the bc list to be played on the 360 right?

Or have you found out something we don't know?

Nope. I know nothing about this stuff that you folks don't. I'm a newb and that's why I come here - to ask about these things. I knew there was a BC list (and what it was), but I never searched through it and thought that it was pretty much a complete list of available Xbox games. Now I know that it is only a fraction of the total games - those that were developed in such a way that both machines would be able to read.

So, to summarize: Sonic Mega collection, Mega Man collection and Castlevania in the future. That's it?

Thanks for all your help,

Cbouchar

Other than in re-releases for the GBA and New Super Mario Bros for DS, Mario platform games haven't been 2D since Yoshi's Island for the SNES in 1995.

If you enjoy 2D action/platform games, Lego Star Wars is similar in style, but in 3D.

those that were developed in such a way that both machines would be able to read.

That isn't how game development or Xbox 360 backwards compatibility works. 2D games have low priority on the backwards compatiblity list. Look at the list before you buy any Xbox game to use on your 360.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I believe Blowout is a Contra styled game, but I have no idea if it is BC or not.[/QUOTE]

The game is, unfortunately, supposed to be pretty bad. It's Contra style, but it doesn't do a good job. Of anything.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Capcom Classics Collection, it's got all three Ghosts n Goblins games along with Bionic Commando.[/QUOTE]
While excellent, it isn't backwards compatible.

Tecmo Classic Arcade, Mega Man Anniversary Collection, Sonic Mega Collection, Namco Museum, Intellivision Lives, and Atari Anthology are all BC though. I don't understand why they can't get Midway's or Capcom's collections to work.

Im not trying to be a dick here, but if you just bought a cutting edge next gen gaming system and your looking for oldschool, 2D games for it... maybe you shoulda got a different console?

bread's done
Back