30 in Widescreen HDTV - $320-$388 shipped, Philips Outlet

dafoomie

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
http://www.outlet.philips.com/b2c_r.../41907ABB9A6F008D00000000828BD472&shop=OUTLET
http://www.electronicsnation.com/en/products/show_product/category/2131

Electronics Nation will pricematch the Philips Outlet (they're an affiliate, or an authorized reseller, or something, and are reputable), and they offer extended warranties for extra cash.

Before you make a major purchase on an HDTV, do your research at:
http://www.avsforum.com/

Here are the pros and cons on the 3 major models usually found at Philips Outlet:

30PW850H: $359
0003784993574_215X215.jpg

Pros:
Fewer problems overall, more likely to get a working unit without any problems
2 component inputs
Has both the 3D comb filter and 'eye fidelity' (480i to 480p upscaling)

Cons:
No HDMI
Can not adjust aspect ratio except on 480i, non widescreen will be stretched.

Avsforum thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=366742&page=1&pp=30

30PW8420: $388
43361EBF325F00D700000000828BD472.jpg

Pros:
HDMI port
3D comb filter

Cons:
Somewhat more prone to certain issues, minor hum, geometry, and broken units
Only 1 component input
No 'eye fidelity' (480i to 480p upscaling)

30PW8402: $320-$350
118246-2212p147-4b.jpg

Pros:
HDMI port
2 component inputs
'Eye fidelity'

Cons:
Least reliable, most prone to problems, such as speaker interference with the screen, geometry, and DOA
No 3D comb filter

Other models:
30PW8520 - Picture in picture, 2 component inputs, no HDMI. Not often available
30PW9xxxD - Built in OTA tuner, but analog signals look like crap, often more expensive.

Don't take my word for it, DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH BEFORE YOU BUY! I will not be responsible if you are unhappy with your purchase, and neither will Philips Outlet. Their return policy on refurbs is 30 days, on site repair, shipping back to them at their expense if required, but no refunds, exchange for identical item only. They will only refund your money if they no longer have your model in stock.

[quote name='dafoomie']
30PW850H. I haven't had an overscan or a geometry problem on either of mine, but you can easily access the service menu and change it. I think that problem was more prevalent on some of the other models.[/quote]

Thanks dafoomie. Its not really a problem when I watch TV just when I play games. I read in other forums that the service menu can fix it? Do you know how to get to it? If not I can look it up by model, thanks.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Thanks dafoomie. Its not really a problem when I watch TV just when I play games. I read in other forums that the service menu can fix it? Do you know how to get to it? If not I can look it up by model, thanks.[/QUOTE]
I don't know offhand but I looked it up once and its not difficult. Just be careful not to change anything unless you know what it does.

[quote name='dafoomie']Sanyos are built like tanks, they don't break.
[/QUOTE]

I beg to differ. My 5yr old Sanyo 20" started having button issues (volume would change channel, menu button stopped working), while my 10yr old Goldstar 12" is still going strong.

Well, for anyone who is interested (AND WHO WOULDN'T BE A MONTH LATER!), I recieved the aforementioned Phillips tv and it's working great. Considering I technically never owned a TV myself, this is a great starter HDTV.

[quote name='valleyvampiress']I beg to differ. My 5yr old Sanyo 20" started having button issues (volume would change channel, menu button stopped working), while my 10yr old Goldstar 12" is still going strong.[/QUOTE]
The current ones are well known for their good build quality, at least that particular model that the OP was referring to. Not so much for picture quality or for how good the TV actually is, but they hold up pretty well. I've seen some really crappy Sanyo's though.

Philips on the other hand is notorious for their terrible build quality. Things are often broken out of the box, or designed very poorly. Thats why they have lots and lots of refurbs for cheap, they have lots of returns and lots of broken TV's to refurbish.

So I was wondering if the philips 30PW8420 was any good, my 850 might have been damaged in the shiping and I have to look at other tvs because they are out of 850's.

[quote name='Dragonsbane']So I was wondering if the philips 30PW8420 was any good, my 850 might have been damaged in the shiping and I have to look at other tvs because they are out of 850's.[/QUOTE]
Does that mean they aren't getting 850's back in stock? I was looking to buy one.

Anyone here order from Election Nation? My tv was shipped via Watkins Motor Lines and was supposed to get here today... but its late. Anyone know if they deliver on saturday???

[quote name='Gosha']Anyone here order from Election Nation? My tv was shipped via Watkins Motor Lines and was supposed to get here today... but its late. Anyone know if they deliver on saturday???[/QUOTE]

I ordered from them and my TV was also shipped by Watkins and it came a day earlier than it was supposed to. I had to leave work and drive home to meet the guy, and their driver could not have been anymore of a dickhead if he tried. Make sure you have help because they pretty much drop the TV at your curb then leave, just to let you know.

[quote name='Gosha']Anyone here order from Election Nation? My tv was shipped via Watkins Motor Lines and was supposed to get here today... but its late. Anyone know if they deliver on saturday???[/QUOTE]
Did they call you and set up an appointment? They won't deliver unless they have an appointment set, no matter what the delivery date on the website says. I'd give them a call. Not sure about Saturday delivery.

I received my 30PW850H a few days ago after months of deciding. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. Everything works great. Best of all, I got the TV and a two year warrenty for under $400. Thanks you Election Nation and dafoomie.

There seems to be a little interest in these again, so I updated the OP with some helpful information. Remember, if you've got the money, look elsewhere. If you desparately need to save a buck, its worth a shot. These are refurbs, and weren't the most reliable TV's in the first place. You may receive a defective unit, and you may have to deal with support for a return or on site repair, for free.

Just wanted to say that the coupon code OUTLET-0606 gets 10% orders at the outlet store until the 26th of this month. Think I will go with the 8420 for $371 shipped... $371 for a 30 inch HDTV is amazing... I will roll the die and hope to get a good tube.

[quote name='dafoomie'] You may receive a defective unit, and you may have to deal with support for a return or on site repair, for free.[/QUOTE]

Or you may get stuck with a defective television with no help from Phillips. Bought the 8420 HD television and, of course, the CRT is damaged. Really should have saved up a little more. This has been my 2nd product from Phillips and each time I was unhappy.

P.S. Took the television apart to try to repair it (since I can longer have a warranty) and all the parts are covered in Samsung stickers. I now transfer my blame to Samsung.

P.P.S. My roommate bought the same television and despite obvious cosmetic flaws, it works great.

[quote name='valor19']Or you may get stuck with a defective television with no help from Phillips. Bought the 8420 HD television and, of course, the CRT is damaged. Really should have saved up a little more. This has been my 2nd product from Phillips and each time I was unhappy.

P.S. Took the television apart to try to repair it (since I can longer have a warranty) and all the parts are covered in Samsung stickers. I now transfer my blame to Samsung.

P.P.S. My roommate bought the same television and despite obvious cosmetic flaws, it works great.[/QUOTE]

Most companies use Samsung parts in there TV's.

[quote name='valor19']Or you may get stuck with a defective television with no help from Phillips. Bought the 8420 HD television and, of course, the CRT is damaged. Really should have saved up a little more. This has been my 2nd product from Phillips and each time I was unhappy.

P.P.S. My roommate bought the same television and despite obvious cosmetic flaws, it works great.[/QUOTE]
Why would you be stuck with it? You have a 30 day warranty.

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I have a quick question.

How do I get Electronics Nation to pricematch the Phillips Outlet?

I sent them an email and they replied back that they can not price match. I guess I just have to order it from Phillips Outlet.

Is there service really that bad?

Umm, their service is great (eletronic nation I mean) and just because they wont price match does not mean bad service. Did you ask them what was the best price he could give you? Just dont dis the service becuase he didnt price match he doesnt have to if he doesnt want to.

[quote name='Dragonsbane']Umm, their service is great (eletronic nation I mean) and just because they wont price match does not mean bad service. Did you ask them what was the best price he could give you? Just dont dis the service becuase he didnt price match he doesnt have to if he doesnt want to.[/QUOTE]
That's not what I meant. I have read the thread and everyone said to get the TVs from Electronics Nation because the Phillips Outlet service is bad.

So - anyone who got if from the Phillips Outlet - How is their service?

I got this TV a while ago, just recently it started slightly readjusting the image frequently while I watch dvds through component cables. Did anyone else have this happen, and does anyone have suggestions for how to stop it?

It doesn't change much and I think most people don't notice it, but it bothers me a lot.

[quote name='starman9000']I got this TV a while ago, just recently it started slightly readjusting the image frequently while I watch dvds through component cables. Did anyone else have this happen, and does anyone have suggestions for how to stop it?

It doesn't change much and I think most people don't notice it, but it bothers me a lot.[/QUOTE]

Which one is "This TV"?

[quote name='starman9000']Oh sorry, I believe it is the 30PW850H.[/QUOTE]

Ah Ok thats the one i'm looking at to buy. May I ask how the picture looks? If you have a 360 does it look clean on it?

Give me your thoughts on this product please and thanks :)

[quote name='pimpinc333']Ah Ok thats the one i'm looking at to buy. May I ask how the picture looks? If you have a 360 does it look clean on it?

Give me your thoughts on this product please and thanks :)[/QUOTE]

I have been very happy with the tv, except for this latest glitch. The picture looks very good, but I don't have a 360. The only real annoying thing is that you can't adjust the screen size with a digital signal, so for some regular xbox games, they get automatically stretched and look worse. (Usually I can get used to it, but I have a regular composite cable connected too, just in case)

I've been thinking about getting a 30-32" CRT from Electronics Nation (or an LCD, there's a 30" there for under $600) with a 5 year warranty.

But I'm not sure about buying something so big online. If I do get the 5 year extended warranty, will they cover all costs associated with any repairs (shipping, etc.)?

The only thing stopping me is the weight for CRTs...

I'd probably pass on the Philips Refurbs now. They used to be a fantastic deal, but the prices of other HDTVs have gone down so much that it isn't worth it. For example, the CRT 30 inch runs around $388, but I got an Olevia 32 inch LCD for $479 a few months ago that was brand new.

Plus you will regret getting a CRT now. I'm not saying they are bad TVs, but in about another 2-3 years you will probably be wanting a slim lightweight TV.

[quote name='Guapo77'] For example, the CRT 30 inch runs around $388, but I got an Olevia 32 inch LCD for $479 a few months ago that was brand new.

Plus you will regret getting a CRT now. I'm not saying they are bad TVs, but in about another 2-3 years you will probably be wanting a slim lightweight TV.[/QUOTE]
CRT HDTVs produce a much better quality picture pver LCDs, especially the cheap $479 ones. Don't get a CRT if you have to move it around all the time (why would you?) or if you don't have the space in your entertainment center.

That's the only thing stopping me from getting a CRT... the weight. While I won't move around too much, it's a pain in the ass to carry something that weighs 150 pounds.

Besides, those Olevia's aren't that great. I've been around top of the Hitachi's and Aquos and they look amazing. The reason why I'm considering a Philips CRT is because it's way better looking (image quality) than any Olevia, Westinghouse, or any other budget LCD model.

Not saying that budget model LCDs are bad but that for the money, I'd rather have a nicer CRT.

I'll probably get an LCD in the end though, depends on what kind of a deal I can get by the end of the summer.

Yeah, the weight is a bitch, but that's just getting it setup. Just have at least one other guy, it's impossible to pick it up by yourself.

As far as PQ goes, my Philips PW8420 blew away my LCD setup I had before.

CRT [direct view tube] provides superior image clarity, color seperation, and contrast. Crt [direct view tube] also has the only full viewing angle and has no ghosting, blurring, or color issues.

The only problems are overscan [CRT has a native overscan, some TV's it's cool, some TV's it needs to be fixed] and some sets have geometry issues [though most do not]

CRT's will also last at the very least 10 years without one problem. Durability, versatility, CRT is really the -best- of all the display formats.

Your real limitation is the lack of 1080p, but for gaming and regular DVD, this is your best choice.

Wow this thread is old! Anyway my 30" Philips outlet refurbished CRT-HDTV is still alive and kickin, I love that thing :)

[quote name='sarausagi']CRT [direct view tube] provides superior image clarity, color seperation, and contrast. Crt [direct view tube] also has the only full viewing angle and has no ghosting, blurring, or color issues.

The only problems are overscan [CRT has a native overscan, some TV's it's cool, some TV's it needs to be fixed] and some sets have geometry issues [though most do not]

CRT's will also last at the very least 10 years without one problem. Durability, versatility, CRT is really the -best- of all the display formats.

Your real limitation is the lack of 1080p, but for gaming and regular DVD, this is your best choice.[/QUOTE]

Yes, yes... I'm all familiar with CRTs. Overscan scares me as well but it seems to be a minor issue with the Phillips refurb.

What I don't know is if I want to put up with the hassle. My bro has a 24" Sony CRT (SDTV) and he bitches about the weight all the time even though he's never had to move it in the past 3 years. That first time must've been enough for him.

I think I might actually get an Olevia 32". The picture quality isn't the best but it's not like I'll be sitting real close to it. Plus, they weigh under 40 pounds, which is nice. I'll just have to make sure to angle it well.

I still have one of these sets right here, although it takes up like 10% of my apartment since it's so damn bulky. I'm going LCD when my girlfriend and I move this summer, so I'll be unloading this one. It's been a nice run, though...1080i still makes Gears look fabulous.

CRAZY DEAL (as taken from passwird.com):

Another deal found on the webs.

Pickup the i-inc IN01-32U1B 32" LCD HDTV for $349.99 after rebate at Newegg. Features: 1366x768 resolution, 500 nits brightness, 800:1 contrast ratio, 12ms response time, 170-degree H/V viewing angle, Built-in ATSC/NTSC tuners, HDMI. Shipping is $59.99. NEWEGG

This TV is manufactured by Hannspree, a reliable brand, and has ratings in the 4/5 and 5/5 range. I just bought it and I can't wait to set it up in my bedroom to complement my 52" Panasonic in my living room.

Steps to Purchase:

1. [*]Add i-inc IN01-32U1B 32" LCD HDTV to cart at $449.99.
    [*]Apply promo code EMC417DINC at checkout for $50 off.
    [*]Send for $50 rebate.

[quote name='zewone']12ms is too slow for gaming. Need 8ms or faster or you will have ghosting problems.[/quote]Is it really? I heard it's the minimum for gaming. And that's okay because I rarely game in the bedroom... I have the 52" Panasonic LCD Rear Projection in the living room for that.

[quote name='psiufoxx2']Is it really? I heard it's the minimum for gaming. And that's okay because I rarely game in the bedroom... I have the 52" Panasonic LCD Rear Projection in the living room for that.[/QUOTE]

You have a... "LCD rear projection"?:lol:

Hi guys, my bro is going to move into his own apartment soon and he is looking at a new tv. Whats the best thing he could get for $300?

[quote name='psiufoxx2']Is it really? I heard it's the minimum for gaming. And that's okay because I rarely game in the bedroom... I have the 52" Panasonic LCD Rear Projection in the living room for that.[/quote]

Response Times for LCD Rear Projection models is are miniscule that companies don't even bother putting it in the specs.

As for Flat Panel LCD response times. I take a companies measurement of them with a grain of salt. :roll:

Food for thought, if you can wait until Black Friday this thanksgiving you're probably going to be able to get a 32" LCD that won't break your back to move for $300-400.

Hi guys, i need some help.

My friend wants to purchase a HDTV set for ~300 dollars and he wants it to be ~30 inches. I linked him to the philips outlet store, but he is uncomfortable buying a refurbished set. He would also rather purchase it online. Any ideas?

He also needs it to do 1080i. nothing above that.

bread's done
Back